x-t200 users question re. dials.

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Barcud Regular Member • Posts: 155
x-t200 users question re. dials.

For those of you using the xt200 how have you found it navigating around the dials and buttons with no markings?

CAcreeks
CAcreeks Forum Pro • Posts: 15,770
Re: x-t200 users question re. dials.

Barcud wrote:

For those of you using the xt200 how have you found it navigating around the dials and buttons with no markings?

Doesn't bother me, but the general feeling in this forum is that dials should have markings.

Note that the XC 16-50 and XF 18-55 do not have aperture markings, either.

If you want markings, you should instead buy an X-T30.

Caveat: I don't own an X-T200 but have used other cameras with no dial markings.

Neil Chalk
Neil Chalk Forum Member • Posts: 67

Barcud wrote:

I have the X-T100 with similar dials. It doesn’t have that same “pick up and go” ability the marked dials give you. But it does mean you can configure them to settings you use and not have to to dig into menus to adjust settings

Neil Chalk's gear list:Neil Chalk's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon PowerShot SX280 HS Canon EOS 450D Fujifilm X-T100 Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II +18 more
OP Barcud Regular Member • Posts: 155

I ask because I do find myself changing settings quite often when I am out shooting. I am used to seeing these settings set out clearly on dials and buttons. Without markings I just thought I would have to spend more time than I would like fiddling especially when a quick decision is needed. And yes the XT30 would resolve things but at an extra cost of £345. (could I set the dials buttons to change aperture, speed, and exposure comp.?)

CAcreeks
CAcreeks Forum Pro • Posts: 15,770

Barcud wrote:

I ask because I do find myself changing settings quite often when I am out shooting. I am used to seeing these settings set out clearly on dials and buttons. Without markings I just thought I would have to spend more time than I would like fiddling especially when a quick decision is needed. And yes the XT30 would resolve things but at an extra cost of £345. (could I set the dials buttons to change aperture, speed, and exposure comp.?)

I RTFMed.

The defaults are that the front command dial adjusts aperture, and the rear command dial adjusts shutter speed. Exposure compensation can be assigned to the Function dial on the left, but its default is film simulation.

Or in a different mode, the front command dial is program shift and the rear command dial is exposure compensation. I really like program shift, and +- EV is highly useful.

Two things that stopped me buying an X-T200 are (1) I don't want the 15-45 PZ, and (2) it has no compressed RAF option.

Tom Schum
Tom Schum Forum Pro • Posts: 10,243

I owned the X-T100 and didn't have any problem with the unmarked dials.  But, I didn't change the functions of any of them.

I now have an X-T3 and never use the shutter speed dial, but I do like the ISO and EV dials.  But, having EV and ISO displayed in the viewfinder is really where it counts for me.  I wouldn't mind unmarked dials for those, and lack of markings would keep the camera itself more discreet and less intimidating.

So it all depends on how you use your camera and what matters to you most.  At least there are options as you move through the Fuji product line.

And, if you want markings, you could buy a circular paper sticker to fit your dial, and mark it up the way you like.  With a good printing setup you could make one of these that really looks professional, too.

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum
Copper: Mankind's favorite electrical conductor

Tom Schum's gear list:Tom Schum's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Sigma dp0 Quattro Panasonic ZS100 Fujifilm X-E1 Sigma sd Quattro +15 more
Sal Baker Forum Pro • Posts: 11,501

I agree with Tom.  It's all about individual preference.  I shoot almost exclusively in Aperture priority which renders the shutter speed dial on my X-E2 useless, other than being stuck on "A" forever.  I still have to use the VF or rear screen to see shutter speed.  I just keep the unmarked dials on my X-T100 programed the same alll the time and have no problem grabbing the correct dial.

Sal

Sal Baker's gear list:Sal Baker's gear list
Ricoh GR Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T100 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +3 more
lesscubes Junior Member • Posts: 27

When I had my X-T100 I'd shoot it Aperture Priority, unless I was say, at the track- then I'd shoot Shutter Priority. Always Auto-ISO.

With the X-H1 I'm more likely to shoot full manual and adjust the ISO. 
I'd like to go back and try another X-T100 or 200 and see if I find it cumbersome going back. But I haven't had the chance. I suspect I'd be more bothered by the lack of the "C" settings.

lesscubes's gear list:lesscubes's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm 50-230mm II Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads