Sony Prime Lens

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Jonathanlim New Member • Posts: 1
Sony Prime Lens

Hello fellow photographer! I need help deciding what prime lens to buy.

I am currently using A7III with FE2470GM. I used to have fe1635f4, fe35f18 and fe85f18 before I sold them all and switched to my GM lens.

The reason I switched to GM lens is because I am getting sick and tired of switching the lenses. FE2470GM is a sharp lens and its so versatile. But now the size and the weight is starting to tear me down as I have 1 year old son and I will have a 2nd child on the way. The amount of stuff that I need to carry by having a child is a lot and in a few months I will have to carry more stuff.

So with a heavy heart I'm thinking about selling my GM lens for 2 Prime lens and I need your opinion on which prime lens to get.

My options are fe20mmf18, fe28mmf2, fe35mmf18, fe55mmf18 and fe85mmf18.

My questions are;

1. If you have to pick 2 lenses, which one that you would pick and why?

2. If you have to pick only 1 lens, which one would you prefer?

3. Is it a dumb move to trade my FE2470GM for a Brand New FE24GM? (straight trade and not getting any money back)

Thank you so much for reading and giving your valuable opinions.

Best wishes!

Olympus FE-20 (C-25 / X-15) Sony a7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
poipoipoi_2016 Contributing Member • Posts: 885
Re: Sony Prime Lens

Jonathanlim wrote:

I am currently using A7III with FE2470GM. I used to have fe1635f4, fe35f18 and fe85f18 before I sold them all and switched to my GM lens.

The reason I switched to GM lens is because I am getting sick and tired of switching the lenses. FE2470GM is a sharp lens and its so versatile. But now the size and the weight is starting to tear me down as I have 1 year old son and I will have a 2nd child on the way. The amount of stuff that I need to carry by having a child is a lot and in a few months I will have to carry more stuff.

So with a heavy heart I'm thinking about selling my GM lens for 2 Prime lens and I need your opinion on which prime lens to get.

My questions are;

3. Is it a dumb move to trade my FE2470GM for a Brand New FE24GM? (straight trade and not getting any money back)

Best wishes!

You might get more responses off the Sony forums.

1. 35 + 85.

I've owned the 55, it's both too narrow and not narrow enough (though if you want one, I'm selling!), and I can't deliberately shoot 20mm, I've tried. OTOH, I've enjoyed 24 + 85 quite a lot, but still think 35+85 is the place to start.

/Current prime trinity: 24 + 45 + 85, about to buy a 35 to pair with the 85.

2. 35. There's a reason it's the standard walkaround prime. 85 is too narrow and kids run around and things.

3. I haven't been paying enough attention to used prices, but is a $2200 lens really going used for the same price as a $1300 one?

poipoipoi_2016's gear list:poipoipoi_2016's gear list
Sony RX100 V Sony a7R III Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 Sony FE 24mm F1.4 GM +3 more
BBbuilder467 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,912

Jonathanlim wrote:

My questions are;

Best wishes!

I've always felt that 50mm to 55mm in FF was the most versatile prime. That was basically the kit lens with film. You learned to do everything with it.

Martin_99 Senior Member • Posts: 1,381

It's totally personal decision. How was you satisfied with 35mm lens before? I would buy it again as your main lens together with 85mm for some nice portrait. Of course if you are more a wide guide, go for wider options.

Other option to go down with weight is to buy A7C with smaller primes.

Martin_99's gear list:Martin_99's gear list
Sony a6400 Canon EOS RP Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA +2 more
yardcoyote Forum Pro • Posts: 13,033

I would pick the lens(es) with the focal length(s) I most like to shoot with. That's the first and  by far the most important consideration when choosing a prime.

From your list, I would pick the 55 and the 85, assuming a FF camera, but that's because I have no interest in wide angle. In general if I can only have one lens, I would choose a 50 or 55,  if I can have two, they would be a 40 or 45 and an 85 or 90mm.

But that reflects my photographic tastes and interests, not yours. What do you like to photograph? What focal lengths to you tend to choose with your zoom?

-- hide signature --

Instagram: @yardcoyote

yardcoyote's gear list:yardcoyote's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100T Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm X-M1 +18 more
AlbertTheLazy
AlbertTheLazy Veteran Member • Posts: 8,340

Would you be better served buying a small, handy compact-ish camera for family outings?

I have a Fuji X-T3 for any 'serious' photography but take my old Canon G15 along for outings with the grandkids. A modern 1" sensor camera probably wouldn't fit in my shirt pocket the way the G15 does, but it would still be a lot more handy than an ILC and more versatile than any one prime.

If you look at my DPR gallery you'll get a feel for what I mean.

-- hide signature --

Albert the lazy photographer
Having fun with my cameras in Herefordshire

AlbertTheLazy's gear list:AlbertTheLazy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T3 Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +6 more
ChelseaPhotographer
ChelseaPhotographer Contributing Member • Posts: 615

Jonathanlim wrote:

My questions are;

Best wishes!

Try the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8. Very good IQ and super light. I have the Sony 28mm f/2 and it is light but the IQ is not so great.

ChelseaPhotographer's gear list:ChelseaPhotographer's gear list
Ricoh GR III SeaLife DC2000 Canon EOS 5DS Pentax 645Z Nikon D850 +1 more
Jacques Cornell
Jacques Cornell Forum Pro • Posts: 12,946

Jonathanlim wrote:

My questions are;

Best wishes!

Have you considered a 24-70 f4?

When I'm traveling with my kids, I bring my LX100, FZ1000, or GX9 & 14-140, and leave my a7III "work camera" at home.

https://j.mp/3oJZZkw

-- hide signature --

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
http://jacquescornell.photography
http://happening.photos

Jacques Cornell's gear list:Jacques Cornell's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic LX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Sony a7R II +49 more
The Lamentable Lens Contributing Member • Posts: 521

Jonathanlim wrote:

My questions are;

Personally, and as others have suggested, I don't think you can beat a 35/85 combo.  Something in the 50mm range is generally considered the most versatile, but I find that it's too narrow for many of the inside shots I want, and not long enough for some of the outside shots I want.  I currently have a 45 1.8 that I plan to replace with a 35 1.8, which would give me a 35/85 combo (although, candidly, I shoot the 24-105 f/4 much of the time).

In this case, either the Sony 24-105 f/4, or, if you prefer f/2.8 without the heft of the GM, then I'd seriously consider the Tamron 28-75 2.8.  If you mean which single prime, then that's a lot harder.  I'd probably go with the 55, but I'd be very frustrated.

Not necessarily, from a financial standpoint, at least.  According to this site, the 24-70 is selling for around $1,450 these days.  A quick look at ebay sold items suggests that's in the right ball park.  The 24 is $1,400 new, so if a trade saves you from paying sales tax, then this may not be a bad idea.

From a photography standpoint, of course, it could be a very different question.  The 24-70 is obviously a very versatile range, especially for chasing kids around.  The 24mm, by contrast, is pretty wide prime.  These are all very personal preferences, however, so go with what suits you and your photography.

Best wishes!

The Lamentable Lens's gear list:The Lamentable Lens's gear list
Ricoh GR III Olympus OM-D E-M10 III Sony a7R III Panasonic Leica 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 ASPH Panasonic 8-18mm F2.8-4 +7 more
Mark Sloe Regular Member • Posts: 251

Jonathanlim wrote:

My questions are;

these are all very subjective questions...

fe 20mm and fe 35mm. 35mm is my most used fl, very versatile, you can shoot anything from half body portraits to landscape. i shoot primarily landscapes, so i would forego 85mm in favour of super wide, but my choice would be loxia 21mm for smaller size (weight is about the same), i prefer manual focus for wide angle slow shooting.

1 prime - 35mm f1.8. 1 zoom and nothing else - i am very, very happy with my fe 24-105 - considerably smaller and lighter than 24-70gm and still very sharp across the frame with extra 35mm at the long end.. i value 24mm wide end more than size/weight/reach/price benefit of the tamrons.

3. Is it a dumb move to trade my FE2470GM for a Brand New FE24GM? (straight trade and not getting any money back).

value-wise probably not, but i would find it very limiting as my only prime.

-- hide signature --
 Mark Sloe's gear list:Mark Sloe's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 24-105mm F4
Valdai21 Regular Member • Posts: 284

1. 35 + 55
35 because it's my favorite focal lenght and it's useful for almost everything. Sony 35 f/1,8 is very sharp but I'm happy with the tiny and contrasty 35mm f/2,8.
I tried a lot of 50/55mm and I must admit the 55 is great. It's well balanced on A7 cameras, extremely sharp, fast to focus and has smoother bokeh than most standard lenses. It's expensive but it's not an ordinary standard lens.
Sony 85mm is a very good lens but bokeh is not the smoothest.
Choose the right focal lenght rather than the best performer, these are all good unless you get a lemon.

2. 55
55 because it's a better lens than the 35.

3. I don't know. The 24mm GM must be excellent but you will lost quite a lot of versatility.

Sickpicks New Member • Posts: 1

Trade. 24mm 1.4 although not a great deal $ wise is the best lense I own. I also live the 135mm GM. For a few different reasons.

I don't like what everyone else has. I like to capture a unique perspective on things.

In the end you can get closed for further away. But there is something about super fast lenses that just do it for me. Probably because I shoot in low-light. The 24-hour will also double as an amazing video lens. And with those two lenses you will get the best subject separation and bokeh $ can buy.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads