R5 4K settings for a video novice

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
f8f8f8 Regular Member • Posts: 164
R5 4K settings for a video novice

I have set up my R5 in the past week for still photography.  So far, so good. However, with my 5D MIII I rarely shot video. With my grandson approaching the 1 year mark and with a shiny new R5 I feel that I want to start recording some 4K videos. I am more than reasonably comfortable with still photography settings and options. However, when it comes to video, that's an entirely different situation.

I have been following the countless overheating threads (8K and oversampled 4K  high quality whatever) and understand that there is a "regular" 4K mode that will not overheat the R5, period. What are the designations/settings  of that 4K mode that will not cause overheating on the R5 and allows for practically unlimited recording? Yes, there may be a 29 min 59 second segment limit and the battery will eventually have to be swapped out for a fresh one. I will be using a fast Sandisk Extreme Pro CFExpress card (up to 1700 MB/s read and 1200 MB/s write) so that should not be an issue. I find video terminology confusing. I am in the USA if that matters. I see 4K options described as 4K, 4K fine, 4K DCI, 4K UHD, 4K HQ, oversampled 4K, etc. etc. etc.  I will not be doing any extensive editing, perhaps just shortening the videos with different cutoff points. So, which 4K settings and their proper names should I use to take "regular" 4K videos? No slow motion, nothing fancy, just 4K. Please use the same terminology as the R5 uses.

I thought I wanted 30 fps (29.97 whatever) but I can't seem to select that option with 4K on the R5. I am not saying it can't be done, just that I am having difficulty doing that.  Someone once told me that a rule of thumb for video was to have the shutter speed 1/(2Xfps) so 1/60th second makes sense to me with the 30 fps. On my 5D MIII I used 1920 x 1080 @ 30 fps ALL-I for short clips and IPB for longer videos with an aspect ratio of 16:9 shot in AV mode. Those designations made sense to me.

Thank you in advance for your help and sharing your knowledge.

f8f8f8

f8f8f8's gear list:f8f8f8's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Tamron SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD +7 more
Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
hunk
hunk Veteran Member • Posts: 3,349
Re: R5 4K settings for a video novice

Hi,
check if your system is set to NTSC
Then... goto Movie rec quality

High Framerate.. Disable

4K HQ-modus.. Disable
Then, goto Movie rec. size
4K-U (standard UHD television)
29,97P
IPB
Press SET!

White balance on auto
Do not use Log
Make a new pictures style almost without sharpness.
I think that's it, good luck.

hunk's gear list:hunk's gear list
Olympus Stylus 725 SW Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Panasonic GH5 Canon EOS R Canon EOS R5 +10 more
hunk

You are correct, normally you would use 1/60sec shutter speed with a 30fps movie. But in a low light situation, a 1/30sec shutter may work great. Try if you like the look. Same goes for faster shutter speeds.
Outdoor a speed of 1/60sec requires a variable ND-filter but your movie will be fine at 1/500sec speed. A bit less fluid, but good enough for lovely memories.

Olympus Stylus 725 SW Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Panasonic GH5 Canon EOS R Canon EOS R5 +10 more
OP f8f8f8 Regular Member • Posts: 164

Thank you!

Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Tamron SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD +7 more
Kevin Buckner New Member • Posts: 7

This may be worth a try too. On mine I’ve been able to record up to 30fps 4K on standard UHS-1 sd cards. This will give you a lot of extra storage time since you probably have several of them and they’re cheap. It even worked fine in the 4K high quality mode.

For anyone that tries this if they’re sdxc cards it records to a single file. If it’s a sdhc card it will split the file into consecutive smaller files.

Thanks. That would be awesome. I have a couple of Sandisk Extreme Plus SD HC 3 10 cards that list 90 MB/s and one Sandisk Extreme SD HC 1 10 that lists 45 MB/s. Would any of those potentiall be fast enough for 4K-U 29.97P IPB?

hunk

f8f8f8 wrote:

Thanks. That would be awesome. I have a couple of Sandisk Extreme Plus SD HC 3 10 cards that list 90 MB/s and one Sandisk Extreme SD HC 1 10 that lists 45 MB/s. Would any of those potentiall be fast enough for 4K-U 29.97P IPB?

You need 123Mb/sec with sound. That is 15MB/sec, therefore V30 is more than perfect. The old cards with Class10 are not fast enough, even if they say things like 95MB/sec on the packaging. That's the advertised top speed, not the sustainable speed.

Anyway, V30 cards are very cheap. The reliable Sandisk 128GB SD EXTREME PRO UHS-I U3 V30 is €33,- in my country. Kingston is even cheaper.

Steve_tEkGuY Regular Member • Posts: 476

what is the playback method ?? TV , Computer, Smart device and so on....

I know 2 of my smart TVs will not playback high bitrate videos from my R and needs conversion.

Steve_tEkGuY's gear list:Steve_tEkGuY's gear list
Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II +5 more

I haven't given that much/any thought. I have a dumb 1920 x 1080 TV which I believe is described as "HD", my computer monitor is similar, and my daughter has a 4K smart TV. Will my 4K-U 29.97P IPB videos cause issues with these? I believe if I dropped my recordings down to 1920 x 1080 quality I would likely have no issues but I want to near-future proof the recordings and enjoy them on my daughter's TV.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads