Dolica tripod not holding camera in set position?

Started 3 months ago | Questions
Flycaster
Flycaster Senior Member • Posts: 1,450
Dolica tripod not holding camera in set position?

I have the Dolica Proline GX650B204 tripod (https://www.amazon.com/Dolica-GX600B200-Proline-60-Inch-Aluminum-dp-B004XC3GZW/dp/B004XC3GWU/ref=dp_ob_title_ce?th=1). I am having a problem getting the camera to stay in position when the lens barrel of my FZ1000 is extended.  With the camera positioned on target, tightening the proper knob as much as I can, the camera will still slip down a little bit off target. However, when the lens barrel is not fully extended, the camera will stay in position.  I'm just an amateur enthusiast and know this wouldn't be a problem with a professional tripod, but I felt this tripod would be good enough for me.  Anyway of getting the tripod's head to hold the camera in its set position? Or, am I facing the "you get what you pay for" situation? Thanks.

Flycaster's gear list:Flycaster's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Olympus Tough TG-2 Canon PowerShot SD850 IS
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Panasonic FZ1000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Leica Eye
Leica Eye Senior Member • Posts: 1,533
Re: Dolica tripod not holding camera in set position?

Flycaster wrote:

I have the Dolica Proline GX650B204 tripod (https://www.amazon.com/Dolica-GX600B200-Proline-60-Inch-Aluminum-dp-B004XC3GZW/dp/B004XC3GWU/ref=dp_ob_title_ce?th=1). I am having a problem getting the camera to stay in position when the lens barrel of my FZ1000 is extended. With the camera positioned on target, tightening the proper knob as much as I can, the camera will still slip down a little bit off target. However, when the lens barrel is not fully extended, the camera will stay in position. I'm just an amateur enthusiast and know this wouldn't be a problem with a professional tripod, but I felt this tripod would be good enough for me. Anyway of getting the tripod's head to hold the camera in its set position? Or, am I facing the "you get what you pay for" situation? Thanks.

It's the type a conundrum many of us have faced, after trying to make do with many a cheaper product, I've realized that cheaper does actually work out more expensive..  Did you try the tripod with your camera before you purchased? if you purchased online, you may well be able to return & get refund..  L

-- hide signature --

Trying Harder Than Ever ..

Leica Eye's gear list:Leica Eye's gear list
Leica V-Lux 40 Leica D-Lux 7 Nikon D3100 Canon EOS 90D Canon EOS 5DS +5 more
Flycaster
OP Flycaster Senior Member • Posts: 1,450

Leica Eye wrote:

It's the type a conundrum many of us have faced, after trying to make do with many a cheaper product, I've realized that cheaper does actually work out more expensive.. Did you try the tripod with your camera before you purchased? if you purchased online, you may well be able to return & get refund.. L

Unfortunately, too late to return.  Hoping for a fix.

robgendreau Veteran Member • Posts: 7,795

Leica Eye wrote:

Flycaster wrote:

I have the Dolica Proline GX650B204 tripod (https://www.amazon.com/Dolica-GX600B200-Proline-60-Inch-Aluminum-dp-B004XC3GZW/dp/B004XC3GWU/ref=dp_ob_title_ce?th=1). I am having a problem getting the camera to stay in position when the lens barrel of my FZ1000 is extended. With the camera positioned on target, tightening the proper knob as much as I can, the camera will still slip down a little bit off target. However, when the lens barrel is not fully extended, the camera will stay in position. I'm just an amateur enthusiast and know this wouldn't be a problem with a professional tripod, but I felt this tripod would be good enough for me. Anyway of getting the tripod's head to hold the camera in its set position? Or, am I facing the "you get what you pay for" situation? Thanks.

It's the type a conundrum many of us have faced, after trying to make do with many a cheaper product, I've realized that cheaper does actually work out more expensive.. Did you try the tripod with your camera before you purchased? if you purchased online, you may well be able to return & get refund.. L

Yeah, not a very good ballhead on that tripod I guess. You could remove it and buy a new, better ballhead since the legs seem OK.

Some cheaper ballheads sometimes have lube on them that just exacerbates the issue, so maybe if that's removed. Or some other method of increasing the friction and grip of the mechanism.

Leica Eye

Flycaster wrote:

Leica Eye wrote:

Unfortunately, too late to return. Hoping for a fix.

If you use a basic flash bracket, attach that to your tripod, then adjust till it is facing backwards to the camera lens, then attach the camera to the bracket.. it should counterbalance.. Some of the brackets have a sliding adjustment..L

-- hide signature --

BBbuilder467 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,901

Flycaster wrote:

When you frame and compose with the long telephoto lens, you could be lifting the tripod slightly, so the head could be locked but the tripod is settling. That's often the issue with lightweight tripods. Look to see if the quick release itself doesn't have some play.

Try adding some weight to the weight hook and see if you can tell the difference. If the head doesn't lock down, it should continue to drift down. If you could mount the head directly to a heavy work table, you could tell right away if it was the head itself. It probably does the same thing at wide angle, you just didn't notice.

Mark Scott Abeln
Mark Scott Abeln Forum Pro • Posts: 16,165

My Manfrotto did the same thing when I mounted a larger lens. The tripod actually has some screws that can be tightened other than just the adjustment knobs, and that solves the problem.

Mark Scott Abeln's gear list:Mark Scott Abeln's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +2 more
john isaacs Veteran Member • Posts: 4,822

Flycaster wrote:

This is definitely a case of "you get what you pay for".

You need to balance the camera on the ball head.  The way I do this is to use a Nodal Rail which clamps to the mounting plate on the bottom of the camera, and slides forward/backward in the clamp of the ball head to achieve balance, and so the ball head will hold the camera because it isn't applying excessive torque.

But this requires a ball head that is Arca Swiss compatible, and from reading the comments on Amazon, it appears that this ball head is not.  I would recommend getting an Arca compatible ball head, but I also saw some comments that indicated that you couldn't remove the ball head.

My advice is to buy a tripod that is Arca compatible; there are several inexpensive alternatives on Amazon.  And buy a nodal rail (120mm would be fine).

john isaacs's gear list:john isaacs's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Olympus E-M5 II +16 more
FrancoD Forum Pro • Posts: 13,669

Leica Eye wrote:

Flycaster wrote:

Leica Eye wrote:

If you use a basic flash bracket, attach that to your tripod, then adjust till it is facing backwards to the camera lens, then attach the camera to the bracket.. it should counterbalance.. Some of the brackets have a sliding adjustment..L

I think that a more practical solution is to get a heavier duty tripod...

FrancoD Forum Pro • Posts: 13,669

I have the same problem but at a different weight.

My kit (camera and lens) is about 2 kg in total so my tripod is a somewhat heavier duty than yours but neither is strong enough for what we have.

The problem is that when you are pointing the camera toward your subject, you are partialy holding the camera up. Once you start to tighten the ball head, you let go of the camera so it sags.

Only a stronger ball head or a different type of head will work.

BUT... an OK way around the problem is to work out how much the lens drops once the head is tighten and to adjust for that.

To explain say that you want 3 in the centre of your photo and that is where you lock the tripod head on  :

but you get 5 after it sags . Aim, the lens at 1 and it should settle on 3.

Ask if the above does not make sense....

mamallama
mamallama Forum Pro • Posts: 58,897

Flycaster wrote:

Leica Eye wrote:

I'm not familiar with your tripod so cannot be specific but I think the first step is to see which parts move that allows the camera to shift. If the movement is with a badly fitted screw thread a simple fix may be to wrap the screw threads with a few turns of the Teflon tape that plumbers use to make leak proof pipe fittings.

Good luck.

mamallama's gear list:mamallama's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +1 more
Richard B99 Senior Member • Posts: 2,979

Flycaster wrote:

Unfortunately, you have taken the typical path. 😔

Try this: https://www.dslrbodies.com/accessories/camera-accessories/tripod-101.html

Flycaster
My Bad, Tripod is Good!

Although I posted that the ballhead wasn't holding the camera's position, and it wasn't when the lens barrel was extended, I had an epiphany last night due to the fact that I did remember that there was a time that position was held.  This lead me to more fully think what could be the problem. Obviously, the camera wasn't properly balanced on the ballhead when lens barrel was extended. So, I took a good look at how the plate that was attached to the camera's bottom was fitted into the ballhead's receiving slot.  Sure enough, that was the answer to proper balance.  One could put the plate into the slot from either side of the slot. And, depending upon which side you chose, would determine the camera's overall balance.  Havinging the ballhead's control knobs on the left side and placing the plate into the slot allows for the plate to be moved farthest back on the slot, moving the camera's center of gravity into a better holding position.  No problem now as the camera's holds position even when the lens barrel is fully extended.

Thanks all for your suggestions.  And, maybe this exercise will be helpful for others that may face this issue.

Flycaster

john isaacs wrote:

You need to balance the camera on the ball head. The way I do this is to use a Nodal Rail which clamps to the mounting plate on the bottom of the camera, and slides forward/backward in the clamp of the ball head to achieve balance, and so the ball head will hold the camera because it isn't applying excessive torque.

You are quite correct with your advice, but I never read it until this morning...after my epiphany post below.  Obviously, the ballhead slot that I was referring to is the Nodal Rail.  My problem was due to the fact that I was putting the bottom plate attached to the camera into the rail from the wrong side and therefore couldn't move the camera into a better balanced position.

Flycaster

FrancoD wrote:

I have the same problem but at a different weight.

My kit (camera and lens) is about 2 kg in total so my tripod is a somewhat heavier duty than yours but neither is strong enough for what we have.

The problem is that when you are pointing the camera toward your subject, you are partialy holding the camera up. Once you start to tighten the ball head, you let go of the camera so it sags.

Only a stronger ball head or a different type of head will work.

BUT... an OK way around the problem is to work out how much the lens drops once the head is tighten and to adjust for that.

To explain say that you want 3 in the centre of your photo and that is where you lock the tripod head on :

but you get 5 after it sags . Aim, the lens at 1 and it should settle on 3.

Ask if the above does not make sense....

As you can see below, my solution was that I was putting the camera's bottom plate into the ballhead's rail from the wrong side and thus couldn't move (slide) the camera into a better balanced position.  Once the camera was balanced, the ballhead held the camera's tele position.

Flycaster

Richard B99 wrote:

Try this: https://www.dslrbodies.com/accessories/camera-accessories/tripod-101.html

Maybe not. See my post below.

justinwonnacott Senior Member • Posts: 1,080

just buy a decent tripod   you will not regret it.

justinwonnacott's gear list:justinwonnacott's gear list
Fujifilm X-T4 Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM
Leica Eye

justinwonnacott wrote:

just buy a decent tripod you will not regret it.

+1

-- hide signature --

Richard B99 Senior Member • Posts: 2,979

Flycaster wrote:

Richard B99 wrote:

Yes, noted.  However, having to centre the weight on the head for such a small camera like the FZ1000 weighing in around less than a pound when the lens is extended the relatively short distance it goes just really shouldn’t be necessary or acceptable. Particularly for a tripod that claims a 15lb load limit.

A short term fix maybe but it wouldn’t be filling me with much confidence as permanent approach!  Good luck nonetheless.

Flycaster

Richard B99 wrote:

Flycaster wrote:

Richard B99 wrote:

Yes, noted. However, having to centre the weight on the head for such a small camera like the FZ1000 weighing in around less than a pound when the lens is extended the relatively short distance it goes just really shouldn’t be necessary or acceptable. Particularly for a tripod that claims a 15lb load limit.

A short term fix maybe but it wouldn’t be filling me with much confidence as permanent approach! Good luck nonetheless.

Thanks for your response, but I must clear up a few things.  The camera weights in at 1.83 pounds.  Extending the lens barrel does throw the camera off balance...changes center of gravity. With the camera now set at a "better" center of gravity on the tripod, it is fully  and correctly balanced so that the ballhead definitely holds any set position with the tele fully engaged. Thus, I withdraw my faulting its "holding" capacity.  It may not be the best for a professionals or high amateurs that have many cameras, but it certainly does a good job for my FZ1000 as far as I am concerned...it is not a "you get what you pay for" tripod.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads