Canon M6 Mark II, third party E-TTL flash compatibility

Started 3 months ago | Questions
Dimi Koan
Dimi Koan Junior Member • Posts: 26
Canon M6 Mark II, third party E-TTL flash compatibility

I have Godox TT685C and it works great with EOS 200D / SL2. Now I'm planning to buy M6 Mark II. Will it work?

ANSWER:
Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS Rebel SL2 (EOS 200D / Kiss X9)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
geru Senior Member • Posts: 1,116
Re: Canon M6 Mark II, third party E-TTL flash compatibility

Dimi Koan wrote:

I have Godox TT685C and it works great with EOS 200D / SL2. Now I'm planning to buy M6 Mark II. Will it work?

Yes....

geru's gear list:geru's gear list
Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF-S 10-18mm F4.5–5.6 IS STM Canon EOS M50 Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +4 more
Dimi Koan
OP Dimi Koan Junior Member • Posts: 26

geru wrote:

Dimi Koan wrote:

Yes....

Looks like uncertain answer.

In fact, I'm asking, because I know that in their recent APS-C DSLR  Canon got rid of central contact on hot shoe. It looks like there is the central contact on M6 Mark II, but maybe they disabled the functionality some other way.

So, is there anybody here who tried a third party flash on this camera.

geru Senior Member • Posts: 1,116

FDimi Koan wrote:

geru wrote:

Dimi Koan wrote:

Yes....

There is nothing uncertain about my answer.

In fact, I'm asking, because I know that in their recent APS-C DSLR Canon got rid of central contact on hot shoe. It looks like there is the central contact on M6 Mark II, but maybe they disabled the functionality some other way.

The MK II has the same hot shoe and same pin setting as M50, 80D, 90D etc,etc. The camera you refer to is the newly released 250D/sl2 which had the center pin removed that is not the case on the M6 MKII.

Are you interested in the Godox or another Speedlight brand? That is an entirely different question

geru's gear list:geru's gear list
Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF-S 10-18mm F4.5–5.6 IS STM Canon EOS M50 Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +4 more
Dimi Koan

Thanks for the answers!

geru wrote:

There is nothing uncertain about my answer.

Well, you answer was "Yes..." with ellipsis. To me it looked like sort of hesitation.

The MK II has the same hot shoe and same pin setting as M50, 80D, 90D etc,etc. The camera you refer to is the newly released 250D/sl2 which had the center pin removed that is not the case on the M6 MKII

Perhaps Canon could break the functionality without removing the central contact

Are you interested in the Godox or another Speedlight brand? That is an entirely different question

I have a Godox flash, so I'm interested in this mainly. But, if Godox doesn't work but some other does, I'd like to know this too, because I wouldn't want to buy an expensive Canon flash anyway.

rrc1967 Senior Member • Posts: 1,853

Dimi Koan wrote:

geru wrote:

Dimi Koan wrote:

Yes....

In fact, I'm asking, because I know that in their recent APS-C DSLR Canon got rid of central contact on hot shoe. It looks like there is the central contact on M6 Mark II, but maybe they disabled the functionality some other way.

that's tin foil hat wearing at it's best. the center pin isn't necessary on an E-TTL flash.

Godox flash works with the M6 Mark II. I have the smaller tt350c and it works just fine.

selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
Dimi Koan

Thank you!

R2D2 Forum Pro • Posts: 22,155

rrc1967 wrote:

Dimi Koan wrote:

geru wrote:

Dimi Koan wrote:

Yes....

that's tin foil hat wearing at it's best. the center pin isn't necessary on an E-TTL flash.

Right.  Except that I shoot with full manual flash power, and have the hotshoe's flash communication pins taped off in order to speed up flash response.  Thus there's no pesky flash communication delay before flash firing.  Plus I can shoot flash at a full 14 FPS!  Very handy. 

Godox flash works with the M6 Mark II. I have the smaller tt350c and it works just fine.

+1 I have the Adorama Flashpoint Zoom Mini (Godox tt350c) and it works perfectly (with communication or without).  Likewise my Nissin i40.  These two flashes balance very well on the M6ii.  All of my Canon flashes have full functionality too.

R2

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgment.
http://www.pbase.com/jekyll_and_hyde/galleries

R2D2's gear list:R2D2's gear list
Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS R5

R2D2 wrote:

rrc1967 wrote:

Dimi Koan wrote:

geru wrote:

Dimi Koan wrote:

Yes....

Right. Except that I shoot with full manual flash power, and have the hotshoe's flash communication pins taped off in order to speed up flash response. Thus there's no pesky flash communication delay before flash firing. Plus I can shoot flash at a full 14 FPS! Very handy.

can't you just turn your flash off E-TTL and do the same?

+1 I have the Adorama Flashpoint Zoom Mini (Godox tt350c) and it works perfectly (with communication or without). Likewise my Nissin i40. These two flashes balance very well on the M6ii. All of my Canon flashes have full functionality too.

R2

the tt350c's are so tiny too.

rrc1967 wrote:

R2D2 wrote:

rrc1967 wrote:

Dimi Koan wrote:

geru wrote:

Dimi Koan wrote:

Yes....

Right. Except that I shoot with full manual flash power, and have the hotshoe's flash communication pins taped off in order to speed up flash response. Thus there's no pesky flash communication delay before flash firing. Plus I can shoot flash at a full 14 FPS! Very handy.

No. (Slow) flash communication still occurs regardless of any flash settings (on the flash or through the camera's menu).

+1 I have the Adorama Flashpoint Zoom Mini (Godox tt350c) and it works perfectly (with communication or without). Likewise my Nissin i40. These two flashes balance very well on the M6ii. All of my Canon flashes have full functionality too.

R2

the tt350c's are so tiny too.

Yes indeed, that was one of the "two" that I referenced. The Flashpoint Zoom Mini is an Adorama branded Godox tt350c. It's a little lighter than the Nissin, but the Nissin has 4 AA batts (with its own advantages).

R2

-- hide signature --

R2D2 wrote:

rrc1967 wrote:

R2D2 wrote:

rrc1967 wrote:

Dimi Koan wrote:

geru wrote:

Dimi Koan wrote:

Yes....

No. (Slow) flash communication still occurs regardless of any flash settings (on the flash or through the camera's menu).

interesting. I guess the easiest way to do this would be with a hot shoe adapter so you don't gum up the actual camera's hotshoe.

the 350's are so small and lightweight I can actually travel with them. I've been tempted to get 2 more of them.

rrc1967 wrote:

R2D2 wrote:

rrc1967 wrote:

R2D2 wrote:

rrc1967 wrote:

Dimi Koan wrote:

geru wrote:

Dimi Koan wrote:

Yes....

interesting. I guess the easiest way to do this would be with a hot shoe adapter so you don't gum up the actual camera's hotshoe.

I've done this with the M5 and M6ii for several years now.  No problems.  I use clear 3M Packaging tape.

the 350's are so small and lightweight I can actually travel with them. I've been tempted to get 2 more of them.

It's a very capable flash.  If it's on-camera I really like using Gary Fong's LightBlade with it (and the Nissin i40).

R2

-- hide signature --

amidov Forum Member • Posts: 52

Yongnuo yn-600II works as well as yn-e3-rt on m6m2.

amidov's gear list:amidov's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M Panasonic GX850 Canon 6D Mark II Canon EOS M100 +15 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads