Plate for an A7R III

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
clarnibass Senior Member • Posts: 2,236
Plate for an A7R III

Hi

I bought an A7R III and I use Arca-type plates and clamps.  I checked a bit and...

The specific large RRS plate is, well, very large (the entire bottom) and according to reviews doesn't allow changing batteries with it on. They don't have a regular plate for this model.
Kirk only has an L-plate for this model which I don't want. They have a universal plate that supposedly works for this model but is not specific to it.

For my older camera, I had a specific plate, somewhat larger than a basic plate, but not anywhere near the entire bottom, with a slight curve so it doesn't rotate (which made it specific to that camera model).
Anything similar for an A7R III?

Thanks

Sony a7R III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
PJM2018 Regular Member • Posts: 136
Re: Plate for an A7R III

I have the RRS plate/L bracket and really like it. Expensive yes but it fits great, looks great and very easy to change the battery.

PJM2018's gear list:PJM2018's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony FE 28mm F2 +1 more
caplanner Senior Member • Posts: 1,342

I use a universal Promaster bracket that allows me access to the battery.  The drawback is it is not adjustable while on camera to always allow enough room to the Sony micro port on the side of the camera.  It depends on the shape of the cable.  It was only an issue for my remote shutter release.  USB-C is not an issue.  The bracket was about $50 at my local dealer.

caplanner's gear list:caplanner's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony FE 35mm F1.4 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 +22 more
OP clarnibass Senior Member • Posts: 2,236

Hmm... I read reviews on B&H and there are quite a few that claim they can't open the battery door with it. I'm wondering what's the difference? Maybe the design was changed at some point?

Even if that wasn't an issue (and I'm not sure it isn't), it doesn't matter if it looks good and it's not a matter of price. I don't like that large plate that covers the entire bottom.

Thanks

Thanks, but I only found a Promaster L-bracket. I'm only looking for a plate (not an L-bracket) that is anti-rotate (i.e. not just flat like a regular plate... which I already have).

68shooter Forum Member • Posts: 82

Do you mean a normal 40-50 mm plate won't work?

Maybe I don't understand the question.

rjensen11
rjensen11 Regular Member • Posts: 452

clarnibass wrote:

Hmm... I read reviews on B&H and there are quite a few that claim they can't open the battery door with it. I'm wondering what's the difference? Maybe the design was changed at some point?

Even if that wasn't an issue (and I'm not sure it isn't), it doesn't matter if it looks good and it's not a matter of price. I don't like that large plate that covers the entire bottom.

Thanks

You need to transfer the battery door from the camera to the plate. The battery door and plate were designed to support this - no tools required. Easy to do and I has worked very well for me.

rjensen11's gear list:rjensen11's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Sony a7R III
Donald B
Donald B Forum Pro • Posts: 18,060

I bought a cheap rss L bracket and they supply a hex key so you can take off the "L" part.

Don

-- hide signature --

Olympus EM1mk2, Sony A7r2
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/9412035244
past toys. k100d, k10d,k7,fz5,fz150,500uz,canon G9, Olympus xz1 em5mk1 em5mk2

caplanner Senior Member • Posts: 1,342

clarnibass wrote:

Thanks, but I only found a Promaster L-bracket. I'm only looking for a plate (not an L-bracket) that is anti-rotate (i.e. not just flat like a regular plate... which I already have).

As Donald said regarding the RRS bracket, the vertical piece can be removed from the Promaster bracket as well.

my other issue with my bracket is I use several Peak Design products and the bracket obviously won’t work with or wasn’t designed to easily work with some of those.

caplanner's gear list:caplanner's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony FE 35mm F1.4 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 +22 more
Donald B
Donald B Forum Pro • Posts: 18,060

caplanner wrote:

clarnibass wrote:

As Donald said regarding the RRS bracket, the vertical piece can be removed from the Promaster bracket as well.

my other issue with my bracket is I use several Peak Design products and the bracket obviously won’t work with or wasn’t designed to easily work with some of those.

I just drilled a 4mm hole in the side of my bottom plate so the clip could attach

Don

-- hide signature --

Olympus EM1mk2, Sony A7r2
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/9412035244
past toys. k100d, k10d,k7,fz5,fz150,500uz,canon G9, Olympus xz1 em5mk1 em5mk2

Nusratty Junior Member • Posts: 30

Smallrig do one for the RIII. I use one on my A7III, no need to remove battery door and the allen key for bracket removal\install is magnetically held in the base which i like. Also the L part of the bracket is adjustable, but I do have a slight problem plugging a remote in the micro usb port. Havent tried using the usb-c port yet

Thanks, I guess those reviewers didn't know that

Mike Fewster Veteran Member • Posts: 8,121
Re: Plate for an A7R III. Smallrig and Peak Design Connectors

Nusratty wrote:

Smallrig do one for the RIII. I use one on my A7III, no need to remove battery door and the allen key for bracket removal\install is magnetically held in the base which i like. Also the L part of the bracket is adjustable, but I do have a slight problem plugging a remote in the micro usb port. Havent tried using the usb-c port yet

I use the Smallrig with the A7R3 and it is great. I attach the Peak Design connectors, one to the lug on the camera, the other to the Smallrig base. This allows the camera with the 24-105, my most used lens, to hang with the lens angling in towards me which feels like the most secure way to carry that camera/lens combo on a strap. The connectors allow fast removal of the strap when I don't want it in the way. The Smallrig gives fast horizontal or vertical locking to an arca plate that stays on my tripod head. The build of the smallrig is excellent, it's much cheaper than the RRS and you dont have to change the battery door.

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

Mike Fewster's gear list:Mike Fewster's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony a7R II Sony a7R III
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads