More about improvement XT3 FW4

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
baobob
baobob Forum Pro • Posts: 15,481
More about improvement XT3 FW4

Despite the lack of field crowd or event I conducted my usual quick and dirty test of eye detection using simply my excellent 4k big LG TV set. This is a quite severe test since the image is flat and definition at 100% pixel is not as sharp as in real life

That said the eye detection using this environment is really night and day as compared  with the before FW4 period..

Even with a lens which is not fast (18-135mm  was fitted already on the body) the results are very good and one can expect probably around 70% tack sharp results

When several faces are in the same plan you get the choice

The stability is also greatly improved

Will test with my 50mm f2 and report

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience
Experience comes from bad judgment

baobob's gear list:baobob's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus Tough TG-4 Panasonic ZS200 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T3 +10 more
Fujifilm X-T3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Morris0
Morris0 Forum Pro • Posts: 17,773
Re: More about improvement XT3 FW4

baobob wrote:

Despite the lack of field crowd or event I conducted my usual quick and dirty test of eye detection using simply my excellent 4k big LG TV set. This is a quite severe test since the image is flat and definition at 100% pixel is not as sharp as in real life

That said the eye detection using this environment is really night and day as compared with the before FW4 period..

Even with a lens which is not fast (18-135mm was fitted already on the body) the results are very good and one can expect probably around 70% tack sharp results

I'm glad you find the face/eye tracking better.  I've never had an issue with it using 18-135, 50mm f2, 90mm f2.  I noticed no difference when I tested yesterday with my 50mm f2 as it continues to nail AF on an eye and then track the eye as the subject moves or I recompose.

Morris

Morris0's gear list:Morris0's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C XF 90mm +11 more
baobob
OP baobob Forum Pro • Posts: 15,481
improvement XT3 FW4 with the 50mmf2 at f2

Not night and day vs 18-135mm but more sensitive, quicker and more stable

Sure in the field in real life will be much much better than before FW4

-- hide signature --

Sony RX100 Olympus Tough TG-4 Panasonic ZS200 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T3 +10 more
baobob

Before I found it rather lazy but I guess the speed is highly dependant on light contrast colors

BTW with the 80mm macro at 2.8 it is slower, as expected with a macro lens

-- hide signature --

William Loney
William Loney Regular Member • Posts: 342

baobob wrote:

That said the eye detection using this environment is really night and day as compared with the before FW4 period..

Even with a lens which is not fast (18-135mm was fitted already on the body) the results are very good and one can expect probably around 70% tack sharp results

Did a similar test, but thought I'd try for worst possible conditions:

16 1.4 @1.4, with the subject about 4m away, and positioned at the extreme edge of the frame.

Surprisingly, my results were quite similar to yours: about 70% excellent results.

If nothing else, this shows me that my wife might actually be a TV set! 

William Loney's gear list:William Loney's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8 +3 more
Morris0
Morris0 Forum Pro • Posts: 17,773

baobob wrote:

Before I found it rather lazy but I guess the speed is highly dependant on light contrast colors

BTW with the 80mm macro at 2.8 it is slower, as expected with a macro lens

Slower aperture yes.  Slower Focus?

Morris

Morris0's gear list:Morris0's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C XF 90mm +11 more
baobob

I just set AF to full which will be  the case in the field

In fact I just test FL 55mm withn the 18-135mm then the XF 50mm f2 so may be the FL (angle of view) does matter in the eye recognitions ?? if this is true  it would be advisable not to use such FL in events if eye recognition is needed

I need real  field experience to draw any valid conclusion For the moment it is just an hypothesis

May be more experienced posters could discuss that point

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum
Tom Schum Forum Pro • Posts: 10,292

My only Fuji lens is a 50mm F2 WR. I upgraded my X-T3 to v4.00 and went out in the rain shooting.

It focused on the white water in a flash. That is, when I half-pressed the shutter release there was a little flash in the viewfinder and it was focused. Very quick, and as you can see below plenty accurate!

10mb download for full-res. This is normally a quiet creek but it's been raining all day here in DC. A still image cannot begin to capture the dynamic vigor of this scene.

PS I tried other scenes and focus was equally quick, but no flash in the viewfinder.  If anyone has seen this autofocus flash (it's very brief) please let me know.  I want to be sure it was not an illusion!

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum
Copper: Mankind's favorite electrical conductor

Tom Schum's gear list:Tom Schum's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Sigma dp0 Quattro Panasonic ZS100 Fujifilm X-E1 Sigma sd Quattro +15 more
baobob

I'll try and report

-- hide signature --

baobob

No flash ! May be just a reflection while focusing..

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum
Tom Schum Forum Pro • Posts: 10,292

baobob wrote:

No flash ! May be just a reflection while focusing..

I need to try it again and look more carefully for a brief flash.  Probably just an illusion though.

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum
Copper: Mankind's favorite electrical conductor

Tom Schum's gear list:Tom Schum's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Sigma dp0 Quattro Panasonic ZS100 Fujifilm X-E1 Sigma sd Quattro +15 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads