Sony A6400 - a couple of queries before possible purchase

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
21tones Regular Member • Posts: 303
Sony A6400 - a couple of queries before possible purchase

I'm thinking of getting the A6400 to complement my A7ii and benefit from more reach with the same lenses and the real time tracking. Two things I can't seem to find answers to are

1. Does using zebras at 109+ result in a true clipping point for RAW exposures the same way it has been reported for the A7Riii?

2. Is it possible to set something up to get straight to exposure compensation without having to press a button beforehand? I can see how to press the bottom part of the 4 way selector then rotate a dial, or programme a custom button then rotate a dial, but this  2 step process is not ideal, as I use exposure compensation all the time

Thanks in advance of any replies

o2bav8
o2bav8 Forum Member • Posts: 85
Re: Sony A6400 - a couple of queries before possible purchase

1) I've found that I like 107 a little better for Zebra

2) I use the center focus button to change exposure.  Its a one button operation.  Quick and effecient

o2bav8's gear list:o2bav8's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony a6400 Sigma 19mm F2.8 DN | A Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS +3 more
OP 21tones Regular Member • Posts: 303

I'm not sure what you mean by the centre focus button. Is that the button in the centre of the 4-way dial? How do you get different amounts of exposure compensation?

Do you, for example, set it for a change of 1/3 EV per button push?

How do you tell it to do positive or negative EV changes all with one button push?

o2bav8
o2bav8 Forum Member • Posts: 85

You move the dial around the center button found on the back of the camera.

The display shows your exposure adjustment in 1/3 increments

o2bav8's gear list:o2bav8's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony a6400 Sigma 19mm F2.8 DN | A Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS +3 more
PieterB
PieterB Senior Member • Posts: 1,526

o2bav8 wrote:

You move the dial around the center button found on the back of the camera.

The display shows your exposure adjustment in 1/3 increments

I'd thought everybody did it that way.

-- hide signature --

No life without a camera.

PieterB's gear list:PieterB's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A900 Sony RX100 VA Sony SLT-A77 Sony a6400 Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +10 more
Bender79ita
Bender79ita Contributing Member • Posts: 537

21tones wrote:

I'm thinking of getting the A6400 to complement my A7ii and benefit from more reach with the same lenses and the real time tracking. Two things I can't seem to find answers to are

1. Does using zebras at 109+ result in a true clipping point for RAW exposures the same way it has been reported for the A7Riii?

No. The display will show the JPEG clipping. Sony customer service confirmed it to me by email. There is no way to see the real clipping without loading the files on an editing software. You can try flatter picture profiles to get somewhat closer, but it will never be exact.

2. Is it possible to set something up to get straight to exposure compensation without having to press a button beforehand? I can see how to press the bottom part of the 4 way selector then rotate a dial, or programme a custom button then rotate a dial, but this 2 step process is not ideal, as I use exposure compensation all the time

Never use it so really no idea.

Bender79ita's gear list:Bender79ita's gear list
Sony RX100 III Nikon D810 Nikon D5600 Sony a6400 Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD +8 more
PieterB
PieterB Senior Member • Posts: 1,526

I use it all the time, even for photography.

-- hide signature --

No life without a camera.

PieterB's gear list:PieterB's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A900 Sony RX100 VA Sony SLT-A77 Sony a6400 Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +10 more

Thanks to everyone for your responses. I appreciate it.

It's disappointing that there is no dedicated EV compensation dial on this camera, and that a button has to be pushed then a dial turned, but so be it.

Thanks again

cxsparc
cxsparc Veteran Member • Posts: 3,775

Errr.. why not simply configure the top dial as exp dial on a permanent basis? Easily done in the menu

-- hide signature --

German/English Nex/A6000-Blog: http://luxorphotoart.blogspot.de/

cxsparc's gear list:cxsparc's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a6600 Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS +2 more
simpix
simpix Regular Member • Posts: 448

21tones wrote:

2. Is it possible to set something up to get straight to exposure compensation without having to press a button beforehand? I can see how to press the bottom part of the 4 way selector then rotate a dial, or programme a custom button then rotate a dial, but this 2 step process is not ideal, as I use exposure compensation all the time

You can set the rear wheel of the A6400 to offer permanent Exposure Compensation if you wish.

On mine, I have the rear wheel as Exp Comp and the top dial as Aperture change....

To set:

Menu 2 (movie 1) page 9/9

second line: Dial/Wheel Ev Comp giving a choice: "off"..."wheel" or "dial".

Voila!!....a simple 1 step process, allowing easy control with your thumb as you look through the evf whilst composing your image.

I can't help with Zebras....I don't use them.

simpix's gear list:simpix's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony a6400 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Tamron 28-200mm F2.8-5.6

cxsparc and simpix - thanks for your responses.

I can see how that can be done but as a left eyed photographer trying to adjust the rear wheel whilst the camera is up to my face is pretty difficult!

(Maybe I need to learn how to use my right eye!!!)

Thanks again

simpix

21tones wrote:

cxsparc and simpix - thanks for your responses.

I can see how that can be done but as a left eyed photographer trying to adjust the rear wheel whilst the camera is up to my face is pretty difficult!

(Maybe I need to learn how to use my right eye!!!)

Thanks again

I don't mean to sound facetious but if you have two hands it's easy to control the camera whether you're left or right eyed.

If you support the lens with your left hand, look through the evf with your left eye, you can easily use your right hand to control the camera buttons, dials and wheels.

If you are left eyed also have a very large nose, then perhaps you can use it to change the rear wheel settings for exposure compensation....or even your tongue if it's long enough?

Seriously, how do you control your A7ii with its centre evf if you are left eyed? However you do it with the A7, the A6400 with its corner evf should be much easier.

Sony a7 III Sony a6400 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Tamron 28-200mm F2.8-5.6

Simpix

Thanks for your further reply.

I don't think I will be trying to train my nose or tongue to operate the EV Comp control!

My nose always wanted to set focus when I tried to use touch focus on the rear screen of other cameras I have used. Of course, it never put focus where I wanted it.

Using the A7ii is not perfect but manageable. The dedicated EV dial, which I use all the time, is nowhere near my face.

I use the front and rear dials to move the focus points around, given the absence of a joystick or touch focus. Not perfect but it avoids having to use the rear control wheell which is right against the tip of my nose.

As you suggest that may be different with the A6400 finder being to the left.

I haven't been able to try one yet, given the Covid situation. It may work, but there isn't the flexibility of options that there are with the A7ii.

As someone else suggested I could make the top dial dedicated to EV Comp, but I also change the aperture alot to control depth of field, and the A6400 doesn't have the front and rear dials of the A7ii.

I have just noticed your gear listing. You have 3 items I am considering buying.

The A6400, the A7iii and the Tamron 28-200.

Rather than deflect the content of this thread would you mind if I PM'd you to ask for your impressions of them? I'm particularly interested in your views about autofocus ease and performance of the two cameras, given the real-time tracking in the A6400.

Thanks for responding to this thread

Best Wishes

simpix

21tones wrote:

Simpix

Thanks for your further reply.

I don't think I will be trying to train my nose or tongue to operate the EV Comp control!

My nose always wanted to set focus when I tried to use touch focus on the rear screen of other cameras I have used. Of course, it never put focus where I wanted it.

Using the A7ii is not perfect but manageable. The dedicated EV dial, which I use all the time, is nowhere near my face.

I use the front and rear dials to move the focus points around, given the absence of a joystick or touch focus. Not perfect but it avoids having to use the rear control wheell which is right against the tip of my nose.

As you suggest that may be different with the A6400 finder being to the left.

I haven't been able to try one yet, given the Covid situation. It may work, but there isn't the flexibility of options that there are with the A7ii.

As someone else suggested I could make the top dial dedicated to EV Comp, but I also change the aperture alot to control depth of field, and the A6400 doesn't have the front and rear dials of the A7ii.

I have just noticed your gear listing. You have 3 items I am considering buying.

The A6400, the A7iii and the Tamron 28-200.

Rather than deflect the content of this thread would you mind if I PM'd you to ask for your impressions of them? I'm particularly interested in your views about autofocus ease and performance of the two cameras, given the real-time tracking in the A6400.

Thanks for responding to this thread

Best Wishes

No problem. Please PM whenever you wish

Thanks very much for that offer. I will do so later this week then I can respond to you.

I am going away for a few days to do some autumn landscape photography before we have another big lockdown here in the UK on Thursday.

The area I am going to will have no internet connection.

I'll be in touch.

Thanks again

simpix

21tones wrote:

Thanks very much for that offer. I will do so later this week then I can respond to you.

I am going away for a few days to do some autumn landscape photography before we have another big lockdown here in the UK on Thursday.

The area I am going to will have no internet connection.

I'll be in touch.

Thanks again

Stay safe and happy shooting 😁

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads