Lume Pad

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
Carl Crumley
Carl Crumley Regular Member • Posts: 364
Lume Pad

I have the new Lume Pad on order that will be arriving tomorrow (October 30). Has anyone tried it yet? I'm looking forward to seeing it in action.

Carl

Rochester, NY

Carl Crumley's gear list:Carl Crumley's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Sony a7R II Sony a6500 Rylo Camera Rokinon 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC +3 more
3D Gunner Contributing Member • Posts: 527
Re: Lume Pad

It will be interesting to see your impression.

threed123
threed123 Senior Member • Posts: 1,452

There have been a few of these types of Android driven 3D tablets available back in 2012-2013 time frame when 3D was at it's peak.  I have the one called Commander 3D. You can load it with 3D videos and stills and the lenticular screen is really nice and sharp. I haven't used it in a long time. I need to get it out again.

That said, I'd be interested if the LUME is more than just a lenticular screen device. As for lightfields that's just taking images from different angles and focus points and the device will probably show you a 3D image of two image points of view or several image points of view. But it's the screen that will be intriguing. If it's just another lenticular screen, then that's been done years ago. The site says you can see 3D when holding the tablet in either horizontally or vertically. That would be difficult to do with lenticular.

I will be interested in your first impression and how it differs from other 3D devices you have used.

Brian F Flint
Brian F Flint Forum Member • Posts: 94

The site indicates that the Luma can handle 3d side by side images. I can't find what format the images need to be for the Luma to use them. It would be very interesting to know how effective the 3d image is on the Luma.

Brian F Flint's gear list:Brian F Flint's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.5 1-5x Macro Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 +1 more
Carl Crumley
OP Carl Crumley Regular Member • Posts: 364

I haven't figured out how to process by side-by-side 3D images into a format the Lume-pad will display. It can be done, I just haven't found the solution yet (others do it, so can I).

I love this display. It looks really good. I've taken some 3D shots with the internal cameras and I'm impressed.

Carl (Rochester, NY)

Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Sony a7R II Sony a6500 Rylo Camera Rokinon 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC +3 more
coentje Junior Member • Posts: 37

Very interesting tablet. What do you mean with side by side 3d images. Can you view mpo files made with the fuji 3d w3 stereocamera directly?

Thanks for sharing

threed123

Does the display have a center sweet spot for viewing or is it wide angle where two people can view at the the same time. If it has a sweet spot, then it's probably some form of lenticular vs. some new tech.

Brian F Flint
Brian F Flint Forum Member • Posts: 94

Can you export some of the 3d images taken by the Lume Pad. Also what file format are they ( what file extension do the files have ).

Brian F Flint's gear list:Brian F Flint's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.5 1-5x Macro Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 +1 more
Jonathan Sabin Variety Films New Member • Posts: 1

It does have a few points of view, but at the same time still has a narrow sweet spot similar to parallax barriers. Because it's multi-view, the resolution in 3D is also significantly lower. You can see full width and images on it by appending _2x1 to the file name, but you're seeing a corruption of the original 3D image, as a depth map is being auto generated and then converting it to multi-view. (Same goes for 3D videos, often with errors.) Since the sweet spot issue isn't really solved anyway, there's really no benefit if you want it mainly for a 3D display device, and parallax barrier screens look much, much better. As for 3D stills and videos taken with it, all they are is full width side by side format stereo pairs. They imply it is a proprietary multi-view format, but that isn't true. It is just a simple container file for a jpeg (or mp4) with two standard views. The bright side is that the images will look better on a parallax barrier or 3D TV / projector because then it's not being distorted by the multi-view conversion.

Carl Crumley

coentje wrote:

Very interesting tablet. What do you mean with side by side 3d images. Can you view mpo files made with the fuji 3d w3 stereocamera directly?

Thanks for sharing

No, you have to change the file name to add "_2x1" just before the ".JPG" and then side-by-side images will display on the Lume-pad. This one looks great on the Lume-pad.

Leia support will tell you that you have to use their software to convert them, but in reality, the "_2x1" is all you need to do if you have a properly processed side-by-side image. I use Stereophoto Maker to process my images captured with the Kuula Deeper lens attachment.

Carl (Rochester, NY)

Carl Crumley

I can't tell you about the technology they use, but yes, it has a "sweet spot" for viewing so I have to move my head slightly left or right to see the 3D images clearly. Two people would likely not be able to view it at the same time and see proper 3D images.

Carl (Rochester, NY)

Carl Crumley

Add "_2x1" to the file name (just before the ".JPG") of a side-by-side image and it'll display nicely on the Lume-pad. Feel free to save this photo of mine and try it if you get one.

Carl (Rochester, NY)

66GTO Veteran Member • Posts: 4,241

Carl, which camera did you make this image with?

-- hide signature --

Crazy old man! Slow down. You are way too old to be
hunting hemi's in that 66GTO.

66GTO's gear list:66GTO's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Canon PowerShot G1 X Sony RX100 Nikon Df +1 more
threed123

Carl Crumley wrote:

I can't tell you about the technology they use, but yes, it has a "sweet spot" for viewing so I have to move my head slightly left or right to see the 3D images clearly. Two people would likely not be able to view it at the same time and see proper 3D images.

Carl (Rochester, NY)

That's what I was concerned about. It used that rounded lens technology, which creates a warped "holographic" like image. But not great for viewing realistic 3D scenes.

Do I understand that it is impossible to view the entire screen in 3d without moving your head. How many % is in 3d while not moving?
For flowers it will be no problem if they are in the centre but for landscapes it will be. Is it possible and not too much work to make two 3d crossed eye picures of the screen and post it. Thanks a lot, Coen

dfattal New Member • Posts: 1

Lume Pad now offers an option to visualize both 3D SBS pictures and video in Stereo mode that bypasses the 4V view synthesis step -- try it in LeiaPlayer or LeiaStream ...

Carl Crumley

coentje wrote:

Do I understand that it is impossible to view the entire screen in 3d without moving your head. How many % is in 3d while not moving?
For flowers it will be no problem if they are in the centre but for landscapes it will be. Is it possible and not too much work to make two 3d crossed eye picures of the screen and post it. Thanks a lot, Coen

It's hard to put a number on it, but I'd say at least 3/4 of the image looks good without shifting my head a bit.

Carl (Rochester, NY)

Carl,

Thank you for your answer. It’s a pity that you can’t see the entire screen without moving your head.

I’ll wait for further developments.

Coen

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads