Olympus digital magazine seems dead (iOS)

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Raist3d Forum Pro • Posts: 43,034
Olympus digital magazine seems dead (iOS)

Olympus digital magazine at the iOS App Store seems dead (doesn't download new content or any content).

I wonder what's going on. Anyone knows? Sure seems part of the JIP reduction.

Also in Japan two Olympus service places closed? (out of 4 I believe).

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

OP Raist3d Forum Pro • Posts: 43,034
About the repair centers (official link)

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.olympus.co.jp%2Fnews%2F2020%2Fan01868.html

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

mmartel Contributing Member • Posts: 635
Re: Olympus digital magazine seems dead (iOS)

Raist3d wrote:

Olympus digital magazine at the iOS App Store seems dead (doesn't download new content or any content).

FTFY

Forum member sharing new news about how dead Olympus (and m43?) is

C'mon, man, have some respect for the corpse, Raist3d. It's had a fork stuck through it. A stake driven through its heart. It's snuffed out. Bought the farm. Curled up its tootsies. It's departed. Deader than a doornail. It's an ex-camera brand.

Can you at least please let it rest in peace, and go honor its memory with some shots on your Pen-F or XT-4 or M6ii or whatever it is you're shooting these days, and share that instead?

Sincerely,

A loyal Raist3d fan

mmartel's gear list:mmartel's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S +3 more
cosmicnode Veteran Member • Posts: 5,637

It has not changed since just before the Covid problem, could be a coincidence,

-- hide signature --

Mike.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure."

cosmicnode's gear list:cosmicnode's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D2X Olympus OM-D E-M1X Nikon D1 Nikon D1H +16 more

mmartel wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

FTFY

Forum member sharing new news about how dead Olympus (and m43?) is

C'mon, man, have some respect for the corpse, Raist3d. It's had a fork stuck through it. A stake driven through its heart. It's snuffed out. Bought the farm. Curled up its tootsies. It's departed. Deader than a doornail. It's an ex-camera brand.

Can you at least please let it rest in peace, and go honor its memory with some shots on your Pen-F or XT-4 or M6ii or whatever it is you're shooting these days, and share that instead?

Sincerely,

A loyal Raist3d fan

Thanks but, I have been sharing em5mkiii/EPL9 for a bit of a while :-). I relay these news as it may be of interest to what's going on moving forward, I am not saying "how dead Olympus and m43rds are." These are news to me.

Anyhow, I appreciate the respectful feedback.

-- hide signature --

cosmicnode wrote:

It has not changed since just before the Covid problem, could be a coincidence,

Do you mean the Olympus iOS digital Magazine of the Service Center October 22, 2020 news?

-- hide signature --

Peter Del Veteran Member • Posts: 6,857
 Peter Del's gear list:Peter Del's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II +5 more
SrMi
SrMi Senior Member • Posts: 1,551

The last issue was in October 2019, AFAIK.

Thanks for the link.

Peter Del wrote:

https://www.olympus-imagespace.co.uk/olympus-mag-back-issues/

That's a nice link. I wonder if they plan to continue this or part of the cost cut.  Honestly I don't mind if they need to cut it out to cut costs but I think there's marketing value in continuing it.

-- hide signature --

SrMi wrote:

That's pretty much a year ago. Then it's at least not new.

-- hide signature --

SrMi
SrMi Senior Member • Posts: 1,551

Raist3d wrote:

SrMi wrote:

If you are looking for an Olympus magazine, there is Olympus Passion (subscription).

SrMi wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

SrMi wrote:

If you are looking for an Olympus magazine, there is Olympus Passion (subscription).

Thanks, but I was looking for the company official magazine and what happened to it.

-- hide signature --

Messier Object Veteran Member • Posts: 9,888

Raist3d wrote:

It seems that over the past year or so Olympus has been pulling back some of their on-line presence.

I used to enjoy reading Olympus Sphere. Here in Australia Olympus Sphere used to showcase some top user images.  Photographers such as Vass (from this forum) frequently had his excellent bird images selected for display.  And when logged in we could establish a user profile, and there was a service where we could ‘register’ all of our Olympus products with serial numbers etc . Sadly Olympus simply ended the service without warning.

I wonder what will become of the many pages of interesting and useful info on past and present Olympus lenses and cameras, and links to FW updates ?

Peter

bill dennis Regular Member • Posts: 221
Re: Thanks for the link.

I asked them here in the UK during one of their Facebook presentations and they said the magazine is no longer produced and pointed me at content now being created on their Image Space site here https://www.olympus-imagespace.co.uk/blog

bill dennis's gear list:bill dennis's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-1 +9 more
Confusedabit Senior Member • Posts: 1,201

Raist3d wrote:

I have never read this. Do they have things like we will never leave the camera business and other useful company information like that in it?

Confusedabit's gear list:Confusedabit's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5 X Canon PowerShot SX620 HS Nikon Coolpix A1000 Panasonic G90 Olympus E-PL8 +6 more
lunic Regular Member • Posts: 134

Confusedabit wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

I have never read this. Do they have things like we will never leave the camera business and other useful company information like that in it?

At least it was much more informative than your superficial trickery.

lunic's gear list:lunic's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Olympus PEN E-PM1 +9 more
Confusedabit Senior Member • Posts: 1,201

lunic wrote:

Confusedabit wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

At least it was much more informative than your superficial trickery.

Probably true but it will soon be gone with a lot of the goodies. It is difficult to imagine there will be a JIP digital magazine though if one does not exist already. OMD are now just another arrow in their quiver with I doubt any particular significance from their standpoint.

Confusedabit's gear list:Confusedabit's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5 X Canon PowerShot SX620 HS Nikon Coolpix A1000 Panasonic G90 Olympus E-PL8 +6 more
Samuel Dilworth
Samuel Dilworth Contributing Member • Posts: 716
Re: Thanks for the link.

Raist3d wrote:

Honestly I don't mind if they need to cut it out to cut costs but I think there's marketing value in continuing it.

I suggest the value in it is minimal by comparison with its production costs. Outside Leica, whose magazine is quite different (it promotes art), these magazines never had wide readership. And today the readership must be nearly nil. There’s a better return on investment by adapting the content to social and getting engagement there.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads