A day in the northern Highlands

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Gardyloo Regular Member • Posts: 163
A day in the northern Highlands

This is the companion thread to one I posted earlier, A day in the western Highlands.

After an overnight in Inverness, I drove north toward the north coast of Sutherland, at the top of the British mainland. Here's a map of this day's drive - https://goo.gl/maps/GLetTMFJK94Datrf7

My first stop was the old church at Croick, up beautiful Strathcarron from the town of Ardgay at the top of the Dornoch Firth. Croick was noteworthy for the role it played during the infamous Highland Clearances that followed the failed Jacobite rising of 1745. Former clan lands were appropriated by (mainly) English landowners, who proceeded to evict the resident Highlanders from the land so that sheep farming could be instituted rather than the cattle herding and mixed farming that had been the traditional economic base. (Sheep require far fewer workers, hence a "surplus" of residents.)

The displaced Highlanders from the glens around Croick were gathered in the churchyard, then transported away. Some were sent to the coast to become fishers (despite no tradition of fishing) and others ended up in places like Glasgow, the West Indies, Canada and the US.

While they were camped in the churchyard, some of the evicted Highlanders scratched messages in the church's windows, still visible today. The most pitiful one reads "the wicked generation," reflecting the guilt they were made to feel in order to deserve the "punishment" of exile.

Struie Hill Road, overlooking the inner Dornoch Firth

Croick Church

Croick Church 2

The wicked generation

Evidence of the past is still visible here and there in the valley; and of course not everyone suffered in these times.

I then drove north across some of the loneliest and loveliest country in Scotland (in my view) toward a prehistoric broch, or fort, that sits alongside a tiny, un-numbered road near the foot of Ben Hope. Broch Dun Dornaigil was built between 2000 and 3000 years ago. Its beehive shape is now partially collapsed, but it's a striking presence in a landscape virtually devoid of people. I was the only car on the road that day (as far as I can tell) and the only sounds at the broch were those of the wind and distant bleating sheep. It's quite a place.

Broch Dun Dornaigil

Broch 2

Massive stone lintel over the doorway

I then continued north to the coast, past Ben Hope and to the village of Tongue. The view south from Tongue, bracketed by Ben Loyal and Ben Hope, is staggering.

Ben Hope

The view from Tongue

mfinley
mfinley Senior Member • Posts: 4,634
Re: A day in the northern Highlands

Nice travelogue and images. I was aware of the clearances in Ireland but no so much in Scotland.

-- hide signature --
 mfinley's gear list:mfinley's gear list
Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro
KCK14 Contributing Member • Posts: 963

Enjoyed both the pictures and the description and context.

KCK14's gear list:KCK14's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus PEN-F Nikon D7000 Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro
Jim Radcliffe
Jim Radcliffe Forum Pro • Posts: 12,025

Love these shots and the running description of the journey. I've never believed that a picture was worth a thousand words. So often a really good photo is made greater by a description from the photographer who took it.

Thanks for sharing.

-- hide signature --

Jim Radcliffe
www.boxedlight.com

Jim Radcliffe's gear list:Jim Radcliffe's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T1
zerored Regular Member • Posts: 292
Enjoyed both sets of photographs (nt)

No text.

MrSee
MrSee Senior Member • Posts: 1,531

Very nice set. Beautiful area.

-- hide signature --

Jim from Ontario Canada
Fuji X-H1
Fuji 18-55 2.8-4

MrSee's gear list:MrSee's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1
MrSee
MrSee Senior Member • Posts: 1,531

Nice. Makes me want to visit!

-- hide signature --

Jim from Ontario Canada
Fuji X-H1
Fuji 18-55 2.8-4

MrSee's gear list:MrSee's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1
Blind Bill
Blind Bill Contributing Member • Posts: 897

I'd love to visit there.  Thanks for sharing!

Blind Bill's gear list:Blind Bill's gear list
Sony a7R III Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Zeiss Milvus 15mm F2.8 Zeiss Milvus 50mm F2 Macro Carl Zeiss Apo Sonnar T* 2/135 +1 more
JeffSlade
JeffSlade Regular Member • Posts: 496

I enjoyed taking a moment to view your nice images.

JeffSlade's gear list:JeffSlade's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Fujifilm X-T1 GoPro Hero7 Black Canon EF 35mm F1.4L II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +7 more
Gman58 Senior Member • Posts: 2,569

Great pics and great narrative. Thanks for posting.

Gman58's gear list:Gman58's gear list
Pentax K-5 II Pentax KP Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads