Screen going black when using Thunderbird

Started 3 months ago | Questions
skyglider Veteran Member • Posts: 5,668
Screen going black when using Thunderbird

In the past few days, my monitor screen blinked black while I was composing emails on Thunderbird. Happened twice so far. Has only happened while using Thunderbird.

The first time, the screen blinked black once or twice within about 2 seconds but then stayed stable. No data was changed.

The second time this morning, the screen blinked black about 3 times within about 4 seconds. When the screen became stable, about 2/3 of my long composed message was gone with only the top 1/3 intact. I had to delete the message and start over again and things resumed normally. Luckily the long message was a copy of a Thunderbird template so I did not have to retype everything again.

I'm wondering if this is a result of recent Thunderbird updates that I've done. I always manually update Thunderbird within a day of when it lets me know an update is available.

Anyone else have screen blinking black while using Thunderbird? (I'm running Win10 home on an intel i7-6700.)

Sky

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
johnnyandedgar Contributing Member • Posts: 514
Re: Screen going black when using Thunderbird

Can you use another monitor trouble shooting?

johnnyandedgar

OP skyglider Veteran Member • Posts: 5,668

johnnyandedgar wrote:

johnnyandedgar

I only have one monitor.  Plus the problem has only happened while using Thunderbird so far.

Austinian
MOD Austinian Forum Pro • Posts: 10,647

skyglider wrote:

johnnyandedgar wrote:

johnnyandedgar

I only have one monitor. Plus the problem has only happened while using Thunderbird so far.

No monitor problems so far when using Thunderbird.

Austinian's gear list:Austinian's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Sony FE 50mm F2.8 Macro Sony FE 24-105mm F4 +2 more
jpegman
jpegman Senior Member • Posts: 1,285

+ 1

No problems here with Thunderbird Setup 78.4.0 either !

jpegman's gear list:jpegman's gear list
Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM +3 more
Cariboou
Cariboou Veteran Member • Posts: 3,288

Hi,

never I had problems with Thunderbird 78.4.0, I use with GMail

-- hide signature --
 Cariboou's gear list:Cariboou's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +3 more

Austinian, jpegman and Cariboou,

Thank you very much for confirming that you haven't had any screen blinking problem with your copy of Thunderbird. Very helpful to know. Guess I'll have to see if my screen blinking problem happens when I'm not using Tbird.

If it was just the screen blinking black, then I might wonder if my graphics controller, monitor cable or monitor is starting to have an intermittent problem. But since the second time it happened Tbird actually lost 2/3 of the text, I don't see how any of those things could cause loss of data within Tbird.

Tbird ran fine after the screen blinking without my having to close and open Tbird again. I copied the same template into a compose email, made the few edits to it and sent the email fine with no problem. I haven't restarted my PC and have been using it all day with no further problem.

PS: Thanks to johnnyandedgar for his input also.

Scratching my head for now,
Sky

sshapiro Contributing Member • Posts: 524

skyglider wrote:

Austinian, jpegman and Cariboou,

Thank you very much for confirming that you haven't had any screen blinking problem with your copy of Thunderbird. Very helpful to know. Guess I'll have to see if my screen blinking problem happens when I'm not using Tbird.

If it was just the screen blinking black, then I might wonder if my graphics controller, monitor cable or monitor is starting to have an intermittent problem. But since the second time it happened Tbird actually lost 2/3 of the text, I don't see how any of those things could cause loss of data within Tbird.

Tbird ran fine after the screen blinking without my having to close and open Tbird again. I copied the same template into a compose email, made the few edits to it and sent the email fine with no problem. I haven't restarted my PC and have been using it all day with no further problem.

PS: Thanks to johnnyandedgar for his input also.

Scratching my head for now,
Sky

Check under Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced and see if you have hardware acceleration enabled. Having that on sometimes causes problems.

sshapiro wrote:

Check under Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced and see if you have hardware acceleration enabled. Having that on sometimes causes problems.

Good thought. In my copy of Tbird it's under Tools > Options > General. Hardware acceleration is on and one that I wasn't aware of "Enable global search indexer" is on. I'll see if my black blinking happens again and if it does, I'll turn both off and see what happens.

A thought that just occurred to me is that we've had two momentary power failures in the past week or so, before my Tbird black blinking problems.  We're having a lot of rain lately with threats of thunder storms, though the thunder storms have not happened in our area.  Wonder if coincidentally there were momentary drops in a/c voltage, not outages,  that coincidentally happened while I was composing email in Tbird.  Weather is clearing up now so hopefully that will help.

Thanks for your input,
Sky

Austinian

skyglider wrote:

sshapiro wrote:

Good thought. In my copy of Tbird it's under Tools > Options > General. Hardware acceleration is on and one that I wasn't aware of "Enable global search indexer" is on. I'll see if my black blinking happens again and if it does, I'll turn both off and see what happens.

A thought that just occurred to me is that we've had two momentary power failures in the past week or so, before my Tbird black blinking problems. We're having a lot of rain lately with threats of thunder storms, though the thunder storms have not happened in our area. Wonder if coincidentally there were momentary drops in a/c voltage, not outages, that coincidentally happened while I was composing email in Tbird. Weather is clearing up now so hopefully that will help.

Thanks for your input,
Sky

Having a UPS with automatic voltage regulation is worth considering, especially if your AC power is erratic.

Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Sony FE 50mm F2.8 Macro Sony FE 24-105mm F4 +2 more
Charles2
Charles2 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,423

Austinian wrote:

Having a UPS with automatic voltage regulation is worth considering, especially if your AC power is erratic.

I'm going to start a new thread about getting a UPS.

Thanks,
Sky

Austinian

skyglider wrote:

Austinian wrote:

I've thought about getting a sinewave UPS off and on. I'll keep an eye open this coming Black Friday and see if any good deals come up.

For those who have a UPS, what is the approximate runtime on battery power that you get with a 1000VA model?

That I don't know; on the rare occasions we have an outage of more than about five minutes, I switch everything off. At that point the UPS claims about 20min. of power as best I recall; it's been a while since the last incident. (1500VA CyberPower) Reality depends on how new the batteries are as well, and I doubt that the UPS really knows that.

My system consists of:

• PC
  • 1 internal SSD
  • 2 internal 7200rpm hard drives
  • 27" monitor

I will not have anything else plugged in to the UPS' battery backup outlets.

I also have the cable modem and router on the UPS so I don't get abrupt disconnections from the Internet.

Austinian wrote:

skyglider wrote:

My system consists of:

• PC
  • 1 internal SSD
  • 27" monitor

I also have the cable modem and router on the UPS so I don't get abrupt disconnections from the Internet.

My PC is on the opposite side of the room from the cable modem and router so running an extension cord to them over a doorway will be difficult.  Also, I'm pretty sure that if there's a power failure to our area, the cable equipment on the telephone poles will stop working so internet will go down regardless.

Thanks,
Sky

Austinian

skyglider wrote:

Austinian wrote:

skyglider wrote:

My system consists of:

• PC
  • 1 internal SSD
  • 27" monitor

My PC is on the opposite side of the room from the cable modem and router so running an extension cord to them over a doorway will be difficult. Also, I'm pretty sure that if there's a power failure to our area, the cable equipment on the telephone poles will stop working so internet will go down regardless.

In our neighborhood, the cable appears to have some degree of backup power; it keeps going during at least brief interruptions.

Austinian wrote:

skyglider wrote:

My PC is on the opposite side of the room from the cable modem and router so running an extension cord to them over a doorway will be difficult. Also, I'm pretty sure that if there's a power failure to our area, the cable equipment on the telephone poles will stop working so internet will go down regardless.

In our neighborhood, the cable appears to have some degree of backup power; it keeps going during at least brief interruptions.

You may be right.  Many years ago, we used to be on coax cable which used to go down during power failures (I did have a UPS at that time because of business reasons).  Now we're on fiber optic cable and that might have backup power for the repeaters on the telephone poles.

In fact thinking about it just now, there's a cable company supplied battery pack in our house that's connected to the white box that converts fiber to copper.  Our land line phone is plugged into that white box.  They wouldn't have a battery in the  home if the fiber repeaters on the telephone poles went down during a power failure.

So I believe that, as you said, the internet will still work during area power failures at least for folks on fiber optic cable.

Thanks,
Sky

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads