Screws for Metabones smart adapter mark v Canon mount

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
nonproshooterdad Contributing Member • Posts: 727
Screws for Metabones smart adapter mark v Canon mount

I lost the screws for the tripod mount pad that attached the pad to the adapter. Can anyone advise what screw this is, and where I can find them?

nonproshooterdad's gear list:nonproshooterdad's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony a7R III Canon EOS M50 Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Tokina AT-X Pro 50-135mm f/2.8 DX +17 more
MOD Tom Caldwell Forum Pro • Posts: 42,112
Re: Screws for Metabones smart adapter mark v Canon mount

nonproshooterdad wrote:

I lost the screws for the tripod mount pad that attached the pad to the adapter. Can anyone advise what screw this is, and where I can find them?

I don’t have the MkV but presume that the MkIV is similar.

There are two countersunk head screws and two small silver locating pins that it might not 100% need.

The screw heads are stamped “HUA 10.9” and 10.9mm is the actual thread depth below the countersunk part.  Total depth of screw including head is 13.5mm. Countersink outer 7.7mm inner (and and thread outer is 3.8mm).  Is hex drive - I could try and check the thread type but it lookslike a metric fine to me.

They should be available from any serious vendor of screws.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

E Dinkla Senior Member • Posts: 2,218

nonproshooterdad wrote:

Sunken head inbus (inner hexagon) M4 of 14mm total length.  But there are also two pins of 3mm wide and 5mm length used.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst
No photographer's gear list is complete without the printer mentioned !

OP nonproshooterdad Contributing Member • Posts: 727

Tom Caldwell wrote:

nonproshooterdad wrote:

There are two countersunk head screws and two small silver locating pins that it might not 100% need.

The screw heads are stamped “HUA 10.9” and 10.9mm is the actual thread depth below the countersunk part. Total depth of screw including head is 13.5mm. Countersink outer 7.7mm inner (and and thread outer is 3.8mm). Is hex drive - I could try and check the thread type but it lookslike a metric fine to me.

Thank you for your help. What's diameter? That's main spec, like M6 is 6mm.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony a7R III Canon EOS M50 Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Tokina AT-X Pro 50-135mm f/2.8 DX +17 more

nonproshooterdad wrote:

Tom Caldwell wrote:

nonproshooterdad wrote:

The screw heads are stamped “HUA 10.9” and 10.9mm is the actual thread depth below the countersunk part. Total depth of screw including head is 13.5mm. Countersink outer 7.7mm inner (and and thread outer is 3.8mm). Is hex drive - I could try and check the thread type but it lookslike a metric fine to me.

Thank you for your help. What's diameter? That's main spec, like M6 is 6mm.

I think that Ernsts M4 is probably correct - my vernier calipers said 3.8mm - but I might have had them over-tight when measuring.  There is no doubt that the “HUA 10.9” refers to the actual screw thread length (add the countersunk head).

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

VLreviews
VLreviews Regular Member • Posts: 237

Tom Caldwell wrote:

I think that Ernsts M4 is probably correct - my vernier calipers said 3.8mm - but I might have had them over-tight when measuring. There is no doubt that the “HUA 10.9” refers to the actual screw thread length (add the countersunk head).

No, the 10.9 refers to the strength class: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screw#Mechanical_classifications

With your measures, this is most likely a custom M4 machine screw with length 13.5. In that case, an M4x13 should fit fine. The more typical strength class is 8.8, so you might need to search a bit for one in 10.9 (higher strength).

-- hide signature --

http://vintagelensreviews.com/
Reviews of vintage Minolta SR mount lenses and more

VLreviews wrote:

Tom Caldwell wrote:

I think that Ernsts M4 is probably correct - my vernier calipers said 3.8mm - but I might have had them over-tight when measuring. There is no doubt that the “HUA 10.9” refers to the actual screw thread length (add the countersunk head).

No, the 10.9 refers to the strength class: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screw#Mechanical_classifications

With your measures, this is most likely a custom M4 machine screw with length 13.5. In that case, an M4x13 should fit fine. The more typical strength class is 8.8, so you might need to search a bit for one in 10.9 (higher strength).

Thanks for that - appreciated.  The actual thread only length (portion) I measured was 10.9mm - it must have been the co-incidence that guided me ...  It did surprise a little as it did not include the depth of the countersunk screw head.

The strength necessary is presumably because of the potential size of the lens that could be mounted on the adapter.

This is worth a further comment. All reasonable lenses that I might need to mount on a tripod when used with this adapter have their own made for purpose tripod mount foot.

So with my Metabones adapters I have removed the tripod mount part but kept the part and components in their supplied box in a plastic bag to try and ensure that I also don’t lose the parts.  There could be a necessity to use the adapter for a lens without its own tripod foot in which case I would re-attach mine. My components are not lost.

These remarks beg the question regarding the need for higher strength screws.  Metabones <<has>> to be able to build to contain the largest lens that any user could possibly fit.  However it would be up to the actual user to decide if they might take the risk with a lower strength screw based on their expected need.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

E Dinkla Senior Member • Posts: 2,218

Tom Caldwell wrote:

VLreviews wrote:

Tom Caldwell wrote:

Thanks for that - appreciated. The actual thread only length (portion) I measured was 10.9mm - it must have been the co-incidence that guided me ... It did surprise a little as it did not include the depth of the countersunk screw head.

The screw thread length is like you write, Total length with head included 14mm though on the samples I have. There will be about 1mm depth left in the holes with the total mounted. Measured that with a longer M4 screw.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst
No photographer's gear list is complete without the printer mentioned !

Bought a M4x14 10.9 class one. Will see how it works when it arrives. Thank all for help.

It fits flawlessly.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads