A6600? Good camera to start with E-mounts?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
22-Rimfire Forum Member • Posts: 96
A6600? Good camera to start with E-mounts?

Been considering getting an E-mount camera with a basic carry around lens.  Do you think this would be a good model to choose as it is still available retail or should I look at the higher end camera bodies?

I have all A-mount stuff now (APS-C).

22-Rimfire's gear list:22-Rimfire's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A65 Sony SLT-A58 Sony a77 II Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM +6 more
SamKnopf Regular Member • Posts: 493
Not if you live in a cold climate

I was out taking photos of the falls colors on a chilly day this week with my A6500.   I was wearing gloves.

The upshot is that you can't operate the rear control dial on the A6XXX series with gloves.  You have to rely on full auto.  If you want to both set aperture and exposure compensation, you have to take your gloves off and freeze your fingers.

Shame on Sony for this poor design on expensive, otherwise excellent cameras.  They keep doing it, model after model, in spite of all the criticism they get for it in every review.

SamKnopf's gear list:SamKnopf's gear list
Sony a6000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Sony a7R II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Olympus PEN-F +1 more
Joachim Wulfers
Joachim Wulfers Veteran Member • Posts: 4,444
Re: Not if you live in a cold climate

SamKnopf wrote:

I was out taking photos of the falls colors on a chilly day this week with my A6500. I was wearing gloves.

The upshot is that you can't operate the rear control dial on the A6XXX series with gloves. You have to rely on full auto. If you want to both set aperture and exposure compensation, you have to take your gloves off and freeze your fingers.

Shame on Sony for this poor design on expensive, otherwise excellent cameras. They keep doing it, model after model, in spite of all the criticism they get for it in every review.

The chilliest day this week was 3°C this morning. It was between 6°C and 10°C the rest of the days this week. Certainly not temperatures where you would require gloves on a permanent basis. Granted, everyone's cold perception may be different but I have been shooting with the NEX5N since 2011 then the A6000 and now the A6600. -12°C was my coldest photo outing using glove liners. You could also use cycling gloves with a thin liner. But this is the funniest rant I have read so far.

But to answer the OP question, in my personal opinion the A6000 series cameras are great tools for someone wanting to get into photography without breaking the bank. If it helps, my flickr account provides enough examples of what I like to shoot and my results shooting jpeg with little photo editing.

-- hide signature --
 Joachim Wulfers's gear list:Joachim Wulfers's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Sony a6000 Sony a6600 Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Voigtlander 21mm F4 Color Skopar Pancake II +12 more
Sympa Senior Member • Posts: 2,491
Re: A6600? Good camera to start with E-mounts?

It is a fine camera, but think about the lens or lenses you would want to use. And buy the camera from that perspective.

The 16-55 f/2.8 zoom seems unique for what it does, but of you are not willing to spend that much, other brands may be better choices.

Sympa's gear list:Sympa's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony E 30mm F3.5 Macro Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS +4 more
OP 22-Rimfire Forum Member • Posts: 96

I'm not new to photography. Been at this game for 40 years. I am a hobbyist and if you look at my gear list you can see I have Sony A-mount APS-C stuff. The lens selection will be carefully done to reflect the kind of use I normally have. I have lots of choices, but one of these would be more compact depending on the lens choice.

If I go full frame E-mount (mirrorless), then my lenses are mostly useless. I don't want to break the bank, but I do want a good camera body that I can depend on for years at advanced amateur levels.

I am not overly concerned about winter temperatures and photography.  I live in Tennessee.

Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A65 Sony SLT-A58 Sony a77 II Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM +6 more
Joachim Wulfers
Joachim Wulfers Veteran Member • Posts: 4,444

22-Rimfire wrote:

Been considering getting an E-mount camera with a basic carry around lens. Do you think this would be a good model to choose as it is still available retail or should I look at the higher end camera bodies?

The A6600 is as high end as you can go with a Sony aps-c camera. I would buy it with the 18-135 kit lens which is sharp and has good contrast and colour rendition. From there you can start adapting your A-mount lenses to complete your lens set. Other people here should be able to tell you which A lenses are best to adapt.

-- hide signature --
 Joachim Wulfers's gear list:Joachim Wulfers's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Sony a6000 Sony a6600 Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Voigtlander 21mm F4 Color Skopar Pancake II +12 more
curiosifly Senior Member • Posts: 1,219

I don't have A mount lens but I think A6600 works better with the new LAEA5 adapter for A mount lens. So something might be appealing to you.  It is also the highest tier you can go within Sony APSC even though some people complain it does not have enough difference to separate from either the A6500 or A6400.

-- hide signature --

ciao

curiosifly's gear list:curiosifly's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Sony E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS

curiosifly wrote:

I don't have A mount lens but I think A6600 works better with the new LAEA5 adapter for A mount lens. So something might be appealing to you. It is also the highest tier you can go within Sony APSC even though some people complain it does not have enough difference to separate from either the A6500 or A6400.

Good to know.  I other than looking at prices and model numbers, I really don't know much about the APS-C E-mount cameras.

AngelusHD Regular Member • Posts: 238

22-Rimfire wrote:

curiosifly wrote:

I don't have A mount lens but I think A6600 works better with the new LAEA5 adapter for A mount lens. So something might be appealing to you. It is also the highest tier you can go within Sony APSC even though some people complain it does not have enough difference to separate from either the A6500 or A6400.

Good to know. I other than looking at prices and model numbers, I really don't know much about the APS-C E-mount cameras.

Yes the A6600 is the best aps-c sony has in e-mount, this is bot a starting point, at this moment this is the end point for apsc. Maybe a future realease will change that

The apsc lenses are kinda limited? But if it has the lenses you need it really is a great small tool with great dynamic range and iso and AF performance.

So like any camera, find out what system you wanne use, select a body that delivers your specific needs. After that you need to find out what kinda photos you wanne make, i can imagine with your 40 years of experience you know what you like and need. Now this was the easy part, The lenses is even more important, does the system have’s your needs as a photographer. If you shoot primes, i think the apsc sony lineup because of the sigma lineup is a great setup. When you want that level of sharpness in a zoom, your choices are very limited.

The Full Frame Sony E-mount (FE) has a wider range of great lenses, even a great zoom lens setup for a very affordable  price range, like the Tamrons and Sigmas. It is bigger, bulkier.

AngelusHD's gear list:AngelusHD's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony a6400 Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III Tamron 17-28mm F2.8 Di III RXD +3 more

AngelusHD wrote:

22-Rimfire wrote:

curiosifly wrote:

Good to know. I other than looking at prices and model numbers, I really don't know much about the APS-C E-mount cameras.

Yes the A6600 is the best aps-c sony has in e-mount, this is bot a starting point, at this moment this is the end point for apsc. Maybe a future realease will change that

The apsc lenses are kinda limited? But if it has the lenses you need it really is a great small tool with great dynamic range and iso and AF performance.

So like any camera, find out what system you wanne use, select a body that delivers your specific needs. After that you need to find out what kinda photos you wanne make, i can imagine with your 40 years of experience you know what you like and need. Now this was the easy part, The lenses is even more important, does the system have’s your needs as a photographer. If you shoot primes, i think the apsc sony lineup because of the sigma lineup is a great setup. When you want that level of sharpness in a zoom, your choices are very limited.

The Full Frame Sony E-mount (FE) has a wider range of great lenses, even a great zoom lens setup for a very affordable price range, like the Tamrons and Sigmas. It is bigger, bulkier.

I guess the next question is at this point is it worth spending the extra money for the A6600 over the A6500 or A6400? I am going to research that. As far as initial lens choice, I'm going to think about that a bit.... go full frame (more choices) or stick with APS-C? I was leaning toward a "good" kit lens as the initial lens choice. I'll still be using my other Sony stuff. When I started using Sony APS-C stuff, I started with a kit lens. I don't even list those in my gear list, but there are three basic Sony lenses that came with the bodies.  The A77's were the only bodies I bought without a lens.  I do like the short zooms even though I know primes are generally better in terms of resolution.

I know that only I can answer some of those questions as ultimately the choice is mine. I appreciate the responses and the assistance as it refined my thinking at this point.

AngelusHD Regular Member • Posts: 238

22-Rimfire wrote:

AngelusHD wrote:

22-Rimfire wrote:

curiosifly wrote:

The Full Frame Sony E-mount (FE) has a wider range of great lenses, even a great zoom lens setup for a very affordable price range, like the Tamrons and Sigmas. It is bigger, bulkier.

I guess the next question is at this point is it worth spending the extra money for the A6600 over the A6500 or A6400? I am going to research that. As far as initial lens choice, I'm going to think about that a bit.... go full frame (more choices) or stick with APS-C? I was leaning toward a "good" kit lens as the initial lens choice. I'll still be using my other Sony stuff. When I started using Sony APS-C stuff, I started with a kit lens. I don't even list those in my gear list, but there are three basic Sony lenses that came with the bodies. The A77's were the only bodies I bought without a lens. I do like the short zooms even though I know primes are generally better in terms of resolution.

I know that only I can answer some of those questions as ultimately the choice is mine. I appreciate the responses and the assistance as it refined my thinking at this point.

The A6500 was my last apsc camera, really liked it. I won't mind paying the extra money on the A6600 over the A6400 if my goal was getting the Sony 16-55 F2.8, which is an awesome zoom lens, but a bit pricey...

At this point we own a A6400 because we have the 18-135 OSS! which serves us well, great little lens. I myself upgraded to a FF A7III and that's why i sold mine A6500.

The A6400 is my wife's camera. (she comes from the A6000), the reason why she got the A6400 and not the mine A6500 was video orientated, the A6500 dims the screen when you shoot 4K and the A6400 does not, + it has a nice vlogging screen option. For Photo's i think they both haves  + and - points, Where the A6400 has better AF and newer color sciences(in jpg), the A6500 has good AF and IBIS.

Now the A6600 has all the stuff the A6400 has, except the build-in flash. It has a bigger grip and a bigger better battery(same as the FF body's). Now the AF part is tricky, where the A6400 laks some options on the video side, the A6600 doesn't. On the photo side i think they are the same.

AngelusHD's gear list:AngelusHD's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony a6400 Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III Tamron 17-28mm F2.8 Di III RXD +3 more
Robert111 Contributing Member • Posts: 618

I have a lot of Sony full frame gear, so the point of apsc for me is smaller size and weight. Compared to the A6600, I prefer the A6400 for is smaller size and weight and built in flash which I use a lot outdoors with people shots to eliminate raccoon eyes and get catchlight in the eyes - makes a big difference. The 18-135 is all you need outdoors.

Robert111's gear list:Robert111's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony RX100 VI Olympus E-M1 II Sony a9 Sony a7R III +14 more
Sympa Senior Member • Posts: 2,491

I suppose an 18-135 will be a better choice then an LAEA5. And it works fine with an A6100 (smaller viewfinder), A6400 or A6600.

The A6600 if you have  unstabilized lenses that you want IBIS for, the A6400 for the built in flash and it's almost the same otherwise.

The A6100 for the same image quality but cheap.

Sympa's gear list:Sympa's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony E 30mm F3.5 Macro Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS +4 more
MikeInOr
MikeInOr Senior Member • Posts: 1,058

22-Rimfire wrote:

Been considering getting an E-mount camera with a basic carry around lens. Do you think this would be a good model to choose as it is still available retail or should I look at the higher end camera bodies?

Are you looking for a high quality carry around camera or are you looking to transition your A-Mount to E-Mount?

For a perfect walk around camera to complement your current gear I would go with a DSC-RX100 VII.

Also coming from an A77 the piece I find lacking in the A6600 is a built in flash.  I have an extensive Godox flash setup but I find myself frequently using the built in flash as a fill flash especially when out hiking and I don't want to carry an external flash.

The 6600 DOES support screw drive focus lenses with the LE-EA5 adapter while this is not currently supported on earlier models and Sony has not announced if it will be added to earlier models.  The 6500 only currently supports screw drive lenses as manual forcus with the LE-AE5 adapter.  The old LE-EA4 adapted does support screw drive focus on older model cameras but only with the SLT autofocus system built into the LE-AE4 adapter.

An A7Rii or A7Riii will give you 18 megapixels in APS-C crop mode.  I also understand that you can shoot your APS lenses in Full Frame mode on the A7's and deal with the limited image circle in post processing... but you can get more than 18mp out of most APS lenses by doing this.

MikeInOr's gear list:MikeInOr's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony 20mm F2.8 Sony 100mm F2.8 Macro Sony FE 12-24mm F4 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 +10 more
DutchMM Senior Member • Posts: 1,698

Dunno, depends on what you were expecting, I suppose. I came from the A77ii, and in the couple of months I have had the camera, there are only a couple of things I would like to have seen carried over from the A77ii to the 6600.

1. The ability to specify a range within which the AF operates. Gary F suggests using Flexible Spot (Small) to pre-focus on the desired area, but it really isn't the same thing.
  2. Sometimes I think my right hand obscures the AF illuminator. Leave alone when I use an adapted A-mount lens.

That's it!  I don't shoot video, so I can't answer anything on that front.

HTH

Mike

DutchMM's gear list:DutchMM's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony a6600 Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sony DT 50mm F1.8 SAM +8 more
Euell Veteran Member • Posts: 4,638

22-Rimfire wrote:

I'm not new to photography. Been at this game for 40 years. I am a hobbyist and if you look at my gear list you can see I have Sony A-mount APS-C stuff. The lens selection will be carefully done to reflect the kind of use I normally have. I have lots of choices, but one of these would be more compact depending on the lens choice.

If I go full frame E-mount (mirrorless), then my lenses are mostly useless. I don't want to break the bank, but I do want a good camera body that I can depend on for years at advanced amateur levels.

I am not overly concerned about winter temperatures and photography. I live in Tennessee.

If the ergonomics don't bother you, the A6xxx series is more than adequate to take excellent photos and the newest have the best AF, if that is important to you.

If, on the other hand, you feel you need the best or near-best IQ available and have the means, then you should consider a FF camera. But, the (considerable) additional money you would spend on a FF system will produce diminishing returns.  And, moving to FF is only worthwhile, in my opinion, if you are willing to spend on lenses that produce the IQ that takes full advantage of the FF format.  Otherwise, you are probably better off with a high quality APSC outfit.

Personally, I like the convenience and size of Sony's APSC line, even though the ergonomics are not great.  It's something you get used to.  For many purposes APSC quality is more than adequate and its portability is a big plus.  The FF equipment only comes out, when maximum detail is the objective and there is adequate time to set up.

Euell's gear list:Euell's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 7D Sony a6500 Sony a7R III Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +13 more

Euell wrote:

22-Rimfire wrote:

I am not overly concerned about winter temperatures and photography. I live in Tennessee.

If the ergonomics don't bother you, the A6xxx series is more than adequate to take excellent photos and the newest have the best AF, if that is important to you.

If, on the other hand, you feel you need the best or near-best IQ available and have the means, then you should consider a FF camera. But, the (considerable) additional money you would spend on a FF system will produce diminishing returns. And, moving to FF is only worthwhile, in my opinion, if you are willing to spend on lenses that produce the IQ that takes full advantage of the FF format. Otherwise, you are probably better off with a high quality APSC outfit.

Personally, I like the convenience and size of Sony's APSC line, even though the ergonomics are not great. It's something you get used to. For many purposes APSC quality is more than adequate and its portability is a big plus. The FF equipment only comes out, when maximum detail is the objective and there is adequate time to set up.

I'm leaning toward sticking with the APS-C stuff at this point.  I can't see myself spending thousands of $ to get the flexibility I already have.  I am pondering another lens acquisition and I certainly wouldn't do that if I were switching to E-mount stuff in the near future.

I almost never reproduce my images beyond the computer screen.  So, I don't think I will get the real benefit of a full frame high MP stuff currently. I suspect I would notice a difference, but the difference is probably not worth the investment.  If Sony dumps the A-mount entirely, I may change my view.  I'm probably better off concentrating on just improving my picture taking in general within the APS-C line.

snapa
snapa Veteran Member • Posts: 4,773
22-Rimfire

22-Rimfire wrote:

Euell wrote:

Personally, I like the convenience and size of Sony's APSC line, even though the ergonomics are not great. It's something you get used to. For many purposes APSC quality is more than adequate and its portability is a big plus.

I agree with you 100%. Those two reasons are very important to many people. That is why I plan to stay with APS-C for a very long time. Good enough, is good enough, period.

I almost never reproduce my images beyond the computer screen. So, I don't think I will get the real benefit of a full frame high MP stuff currently.

A very good point you have here! Taking 40-60MP images makes absolutly no sense if you don't plan to do anything else with the images, or make money with them. I think you have figured out exactly why you don't need FF in that one simple statement.

I suspect I would notice a difference, but the difference is probably not worth the investment. If Sony dumps the A-mount entirely, I may change my view. I'm probably better off concentrating on just improving my picture taking in general within the APS-C line.

That would be the best decison you will ever make when it comes to photography. It is not the number of pixels, shallow DOF, lowest noise that makes a picture great, or the amount of money you spend on the system to take them with.

I wish more people considering switching from APS-C could figure out what you two have in this one post. Thanks for explaining it so concisely (and logically) for those who think they need FF cameras/lenses to take better pictures.

-- hide signature --

Life is short, so make the best of it while you can!
http://grob.smugmug.com/
https://grob.smugmug.com/Wildlife-Pictures/

snapa's gear list:snapa's gear list
NEX-5T Sony a6300 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads