Z5 for 1080p video or Z6ii ?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
mu7z Junior Member • Posts: 39
Z5 for 1080p video or Z6ii ?

Hi all,

I've done a lot of research between these two bodies. I really love the Z5 layout, especially the ergonomics of the buttons all being on the same side. Honestly, I have no use for the oled top view panel on the Z6 and would've preferred the Z5 layout instead. I know the Z6 will be discounted, but the Z6 has some features I can't live without, so my comparison will be with the Z6 ii, since it includes those required features.

I'm looking for an allround photography/video cam. I'll probably be shooting mainly photos, but need to record video for lectures and tutorials. For these purposes I am thinking 1080p might be good enough, and if not I could always upscale the 1080p footage.

Question 1: Is there an appreciable difference between the Z5 and Z6ii if I restrict myself to 1080p? I know the Z6ii is a far more capable video cam and can shoot 4k uncropped, while the Z5, is essentially "useless" at 4k with it's severe 1.7x crop. But at 1080p what are the differences (other than BSI sensor)?

Is the extra cost really worth it? I was hoping to get the Z5 because of the compact 24-50mm kit lens. I know it's not the highest quality lens, but it does seem like a very good quality "kit" lens. The reason for this decision, is it's compact size. I'm worried that the Z6 kit lens would be a bit too bulky for travel photography and casual outings. The cost difference is about 1k, but that includes the upgraded lens 24-70mm lens.  I suppose I could wait to get the "pancake" lenses that Nikon is going to release at some indefinite point in the future. I would also have loved compact primes.

Another worry, are there record limits on 1080p or 4k? The recording often stretch to 1 hour. Perhaps I will need a hdmi capture card and record directly through OBS.

Nikon Z5 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z6 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
24Peter
24Peter Veteran Member • Posts: 4,529
Re: Z5 for 1080p video or Z6ii ?

mu7z wrote:

Hi all,

I've done a lot of research between these two bodies. I really love the Z5 layout, especially the ergonomics of the buttons all being on the same side. Honestly, I have no use for the oled top view panel on the Z6 and would've preferred the Z5 layout instead. I know the Z6 will be discounted, but the Z6 has some features I can't live without, so my comparison will be with the Z6 ii, since it includes those required features.

I'm looking for an allround photography/video cam. I'll probably be shooting mainly photos, but need to record video for lectures and tutorials. For these purposes I am thinking 1080p might be good enough, and if not I could always upscale the 1080p footage.

Question 1: Is there an appreciable difference between the Z5 and Z6ii if I restrict myself to 1080p? I know the Z6ii is a far more capable video cam and can shoot 4k uncropped, while the Z5, is essentially "useless" at 4k with it's severe 1.7x crop. But at 1080p what are the differences (other than BSI sensor)?

Is the extra cost really worth it? I was hoping to get the Z5 because of the compact 24-50mm kit lens. I know it's not the highest quality lens, but it does seem like a very good quality "kit" lens. The reason for this decision, is it's compact size. I'm worried that the Z6 kit lens would be a bit too bulky for travel photography and casual outings. The cost difference is about 1k, but that includes the upgraded lens 24-70mm lens. I suppose I could wait to get the "pancake" lenses that Nikon is going to release at some indefinite point in the future. I would also have loved compact primes.

Another worry, are there record limits on 1080p or 4k? The recording often stretch to 1 hour. Perhaps I will need a hdmi capture card and record directly through OBS.

Can only address the last point with any certainty (since the Z6II isn't out yet) - there are 30 min record limits on Nikon's Z cameras. So... you'll either need to stop/start at 29:58 or go with an external recorder. I use the El Gato CamLink 4K and can capture unlimited (other than by battery life) video to my laptop using the free El Gato 4K Capture Utility (it also captures 1080p). (For multicam shoots I use the BlackMagic ATEM Mini.) If you prefer OBS, that works too.

You don't mention which features in the Z6II you "can't live without" (maybe you meant "can" live without.) But in terms of 1080p, video from all three cameras (Z5, Z6 and Z6II) should be pretty comparable and fine for your purposes. I would save the $1K and buy the Z5 with an extra lens and/or good tripod along with the El Gato.

24Peter's gear list:24Peter's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50
OP mu7z Junior Member • Posts: 39

Excellent, that's what I will have to purchase for the recording setup.

Regarding the Z6ii, yes the SD card is important (basically outweighs the extra cost over the z6 in card costs) and the wifi and bluetooth features in addition to charging over usb-c are important for me.

Personally, I tend to keep my cameras for a very long time and rarely sell. That's the only hesitation, but the price difference is huge. I'm not sure if I upgrade in the next few years, the price drop of the Nikon z6ii will be substatial, heck there will probably be something else to upgrade to. In that case I do think the Z5 might be a decent compromise, the lack of BSI and severe 1.7 crop are quite frustrating (it the crop was 1.5 it would have been bearable).

I know that the Z5 also does not record in N-Log RAW video format or provide 10-bit recording over external HDMI recording. But does it allow any recording over external HDMI? Is it 8-bit 4:2:2 ?

24Peter

mu7z wrote:

Excellent, that's what I will have to purchase for the recording setup.

Regarding the Z6ii, yes the SD card is important (basically outweighs the extra cost over the z6 in card costs) and the wifi and bluetooth features in addition to charging over usb-c are important for me.

The Z5 has all these features (including dual SD slots although note there is no simultaneous recording to both slots on any Nikon camera (and most other hybrid cameras) when recording video.)

Personally, I tend to keep my cameras for a very long time and rarely sell. That's the only hesitation, but the price difference is huge. I'm not sure if I upgrade in the next few years, the price drop of the Nikon z6ii will be substatial, heck there will probably be something else to upgrade to. In that case I do think the Z5 might be a decent compromise, the lack of BSI and severe 1.7 crop are quite frustrating (it the crop was 1.5 it would have been bearable).

For video, I find lens based VR to be more effective than in-body IBIS on my Z6.

I know that the Z5 also does not record in N-Log RAW video format or provide 10-bit recording over external HDMI recording. But does it allow any recording over external HDMI? Is it 8-bit 4:2:2 ?

I believe the Z5 allows external recording in the same specs as internally - 8 bit 4;2;0

I'll just mention the Z50 is also a capable stills/video camera. It has an SD slot and records 4K with the standard APS-C 1.5 crop. The 4K out of the Z50 is sharper than the 4K on my Z6! (It also does 1080p with the same crop.) And it's cheaper than the Z5.

Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50
Richard B99 Senior Member • Posts: 2,976

A few thoughts, I’m not exactly going to take a line on Z5 vs a 6 but I’ve been using the Z6 for conferencing and Recording for a while.  
Overall the 1080p is going to be fine from the 5 and either of the 6s.  But if you have any expectation that you want 4k sometime in future I’d go for a 6 as the 5s crop is going to be a pain and will likely force An upgrade  However if it will only be 1080 I might have been inclined to go 5 too.

mu7z wrote:

Hi all,

I've done a lot of research between these two bodies. I really love the Z5 layout, especially the ergonomics of the buttons all being on the same side. Honestly, I have no use for the oled top view panel on the Z6

Generally, the top panel isn’t a must have for me either.  However, it’s proved really useful when doing pieces to camera.  Cuts down on trudging round the camera so much and I can use the camera close to a wall too.  An unexpected consideration.

and would've preferred the Z5 layout instead. I know the Z6 will be discounted, but the Z6 has some features I can't live without, so my comparison will be with the Z6 ii, since it includes those required features.

Honestly, it really probably will be for those purposes.  I’ve been happy with that for similar.

Is the extra cost really worth it? I was hoping to get the Z5 because of the compact 24-50mm kit lens. I know it's not the highest quality lens, but it does seem like a very good quality "kit" lens.

I’d suggest you think about a Z 50 1.8 for indoor video.  No it’s not an everything lens but indoors it’s really useful.  First, the wide aperture really helps with lighting.  2 stops more with the f4 and higher needs 4x the light which is quite a bit harder to achieve without serious lighting (which isn’t so great to work under for extended periods.  Then, of course is the narrower depth of field which is really useful in smaller spaces.  So saving some money for a silent AF lens like 50 is worth consideration.

The reason for this decision, is it's compact size. I'm worried that the Z6 kit lens would be a bit too bulky for travel photography and casual outings. The cost difference is about 1k, but that includes the upgraded lens 24-70mm lens. I suppose I could wait to get the "pancake" lenses that Nikon is going to release at some indefinite point in the future. I would also have loved compact primes.

Yep, Peter has broadly covered this.  I too have an ATEM Mini and it’s a fantastic bit of kit for 1080p work.  Especially if you want dual cameras or more.  While I use the 6 for the main work I also have a downward facing camera (D3300) onto my desk and a small Sony RX100III iii.  With those I can switch to showing live notes / drawing / diags on the desk that your audience can see you working on and you cam point to things for them when explaining... while the little Sony shows PIP of me talking to camera (it’s a different perspective as the 6 shoots the top of my head when drawing).  It makes a big difference to the presentation and the ATEM allows me to do this on the fly.  Makes it a bit more fun for me too. 
Recording doesn’t need OBS with these setups either but it is an option.  Simplest is to record direct to (MAC here) QuickTime or something like that.  OBS gets you into the realm of cheap live streaming but if I were doing that I’m pretty sure I’d go the hardware route too now (ATEM Mini Pro or an add on unit to the base mini) but that’s a different topic!

OP mu7z Junior Member • Posts: 39

Many thanks Peter and Richard for the helpful advice. I think the only thing I can now do is revisit the store and demo the cameras again. I'm not sure what they had the Z6 strapped to, but it weighed a ton compared to the Z50 and the A7ii. It might have been the L-bracket contraption.  I really need to revisit, because I was thrown off of the Z6, a camera I have long sought, after this demo.

Richard B99 wrote:

I’d suggest you think about a Z 50 1.8 for indoor video. No it’s not an everything lens but indoors it’s really useful. First, the wide aperture really helps with lighting. 2 stops

more with the f4 and higher needs 4x the light which is quite a bit harder to achieve without serious lighting (which isn’t so great to work under for extended periods. Then, of course is the narrower depth of field which is really useful in smaller spaces. So saving some money for a silent AF lens like 50 is worth consideration.

Excellent point, do you find the 50mm focal length a bit too long?  Peter brings up the interesting choice of considering the Z50, as well.  If I use a 35mm 1.8 on the Z50, that would give me a lens I could keep when the time is to get a full frame. Honestly, I'm kind of leaning towards full-frame and full-frame glass, since that does seem like where the future is w.r.t. Nikon's roadmap, but I might need to hold off until a Z5ii is out or the next Nikon iteration, would I suppose would be in at least 2 years. The Z50 is looking like a better straight 'video' camera than the Z5, but the Z5 does look like the better 'photography' camera.

24Peter

mu7z wrote:

Many thanks Peter and Richard for the helpful advice. I think the only thing I can now do is revisit the store and demo the cameras again. I'm not sure what they had the Z6 strapped to, but it weighed a ton compared to the Z50 and the A7ii. It might have been the L-bracket contraption. I really need to revisit, because I was thrown off of the Z6, a camera I have long sought, after this demo.

Richard B99 wrote:

I’d suggest you think about a Z 50 1.8 for indoor video. No it’s not an everything lens but indoors it’s really useful. First, the wide aperture really helps with lighting. 2 stops

more with the f4 and higher needs 4x the light which is quite a bit harder to achieve without serious lighting (which isn’t so great to work under for extended periods. Then, of course is the narrower depth of field which is really useful in smaller spaces. So saving some money for a silent AF lens like 50 is worth consideration.

Excellent point, do you find the 50mm focal length a bit too long? Peter brings up the interesting choice of considering the Z50, as well. If I use a 35mm 1.8 on the Z50, that would give me a lens I could keep when the time is to get a full frame. Honestly, I'm kind of leaning towards full-frame and full-frame glass, since that does seem like where the future is w.r.t. Nikon's roadmap, but I might need to hold off until a Z5ii is out or the next Nikon iteration, would I suppose would be in at least 2 years. The Z50 is looking like a better straight 'video' camera than the Z5, but the Z5 does look like the better 'photography' camera.

Honestly the Z50 along with the two kit lenses (16-50 and 50-250) may work perfectly for you. You can add a 35 1.8 later. Or I'm using the Sigma 18-35 F 1.8 lens with the FTZ adapter on the Z50. My primary use for the Z50 is video so this is the perfect lens on a DX body for most applications. I also use the Tamron 100-400 for wildlife with the Z50 .

Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50
Richard B99 Senior Member • Posts: 2,976

mu7z wrote:

Many thanks Peter and Richard for the helpful advice. I think the only thing I can now do is revisit the store and demo the cameras again. I'm not sure what they had the Z6 strapped to, but it weighed a ton compared to the Z50 and the A7ii. It might have been the L-bracket contraption. I really need to revisit, because I was thrown off of the Z6, a camera I have long sought, after this demo.

Richard B99 wrote:

Excellent point, do you find the 50mm focal length a bit too long? Peter brings up the interesting choice of considering the Z50, as well. If I use a 35mm 1.8 on the Z50, that would give me a lens I could keep when the time is to get a full frame. Honestly, I'm kind of leaning towards full-frame and full-frame glass, since that does seem like where the future is w.r.t. Nikon's roadmap, but I might need to hold off until a Z5ii is out or the next Nikon iteration, would I suppose would be in at least 2 years. The Z50 is looking like a better straight 'video' camera than the Z5, but the Z5 does look like the better 'photography' camera.

For video work, I would find the 50mm on the DX too long but I don’t on FX.  At least for head & shoulder work.  I considered the 35mm but it turned out too wide for my work but it maybe different for you.  I had tried the older 50mm 1.8 G on a FTZ.  It actually worked well but it’s AF rattles constantly and is really tiresome.  It was a shame really as I already had the bits for that setup!  The S lens is a far better quality lens for everything but the IQ superiority is less noticeable on video but the silence and I think slightly snappier AF is really good here.

You may find you don’t need the 1.8.  I didn’t at the beginning use it initially but came to it from f4 by experimenting so wanted to pass it on to others who might find it useful.  The first thing that stuck me was the significant background defocus difference at the distances I was working at.  It’s much easier for others to watch and not be distracted by my bookcases!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads