Leica R4 Disassembly / Top Plate Removal

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
karthikrr Regular Member • Posts: 148
Leica R4 Disassembly / Top Plate Removal

I have a Leica R4 with a sticky shutter. After some time with google, I know that the fix is to open it up and clean the shutter damper magnets. These are supposed to be right behind the dof lever. I know what to do, but not how to access the part!

The equivalent minolta camera for this is the xd series, typically xd7. That's easy to open, the film advance lever and shutter button and dials all are easily opened a up with the right tools. But on the Leica, the top has nothing that suggests any part can be removed. I'm almost certain that the top plate has to come off with all the mechanical bits connected. But removing whatever visible screws I can find does not release the top plate.

Anybody with experience with this body or any other Leica R body?

SQLGuy Veteran Member • Posts: 9,942
Re: Leica R4 Disassembly / Top Plate Removal

There is a Vintage Camera Repair group on Facebook. That might be a better place for this type of a question.

-- hide signature --

A7R2 with SEL2470Z and a number of adapted lenses (Canon FD, Minolta AF, Canon EF, Leica, Nikon...); A7R converted to IR.

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS 5D Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro +24 more
OP karthikrr Regular Member • Posts: 148
Re: Leica R4 Disassembly / Top Plate Removal

Aah... I'm not a FB user, so mostly oblivious to that world. Good to know, will probably end up asking there thru a friend Thanks!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads