Nikon 200 f/2 VR II ?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
JHern
JHern Regular Member • Posts: 115
Re: Nikon 200 f/2 VR II ?

When I saw the VR II was discontinued without any replacement I snatched up a used VR I. As they are sold out, supply is falling, demand is rising, and prices will go up. It will become a collector lens like the 58/1.2 NOCT unless Nikon releases one in the Z mount (seems probable).

In any case, it is a dream lens. Just get one, even if you have to beg, borrow, and steal. Just do it!

 JHern's gear list:JHern's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon D90 Nikon D810 Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF +25 more
OP smhagger Senior Member • Posts: 1,425
Re: Nikon 200 f/2 VR II ?

Thanks. I actually used to own one of the VRI versions for many years and eventually sold it because I needed a second D3 for my wife while we were shooting weddings together.  I wasn't using the lens too much during weddings so the D3 decision became clear.

Now that I'm not shooting weddings, however, I've decided to re-add the lens to my arsenal (along with a Sigma 135 f/1.8 Art).  I'll be using it 'un-professionally' for my daughter's indoor volleyball, portraits and any other time I want.

I was able to find a mint condition VR I version over on FM forums and picked it up.  It should arrive to me in the next several days-I'm really looking forward to getting it back in my possession again!

Now I need to decide if I want to hang onto my pro-super D750 or upgrade that body as well.  I'm thinking a D500 + D850 (or replacement) combo would do me well...

Although, once you've used a pro body, anything less is not the same.

Sean

 smhagger's gear list:smhagger's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G +5 more
hypercore360 Senior Member • Posts: 1,539
Re: Nikon 200 f/2 VR II ?

Glorious lens... The images out of that lens is sublime.

smhagger wrote:

Guys/Gals,

It's been a long time and I've taken a break from photography. Looking to revive my equipment and wanted to 're-add' a 200 f/2 VR lens again. Was looking to purchase one from B&H, but they don't seem to be in stock.

Is this lens still available? Searching on it, I saw references to it being discontinued-I hope that's not true?

Has the lens been in stock anywhere recently? Just looking for info so I can know what to expect as I search to purchase a new lens.

Thanks,

Sean

OP smhagger Senior Member • Posts: 1,425
Re: Nikon 200 f/2 VR II ?
1

Well, it arrived today! I don't recall watching my driveway so much for something to arrive as I did today.

Took it out to check it out with my impatient 18 year old son as a model, LOL.

I did end up stopping down a little to get enough DOF to get both eyes sharply in focus on the example below. Super thrilled to have this lens back in my arsenal again!

Nikon D750, 200 f/2 VR, ISO 125, f/2.8

 smhagger's gear list:smhagger's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G +5 more
OP smhagger Senior Member • Posts: 1,425
Re: Nikon 200 f/2 VR II ?

Nikon D750, ISO 125, 200 f/2 VR @ f/2.8 1/320

 smhagger's gear list:smhagger's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G +5 more
Tord S Eriksson
Tord S Eriksson Forum Pro • Posts: 14,502
Re: Nikon 200 f/2 VR II ?
1

smhagger wrote:

Nikon D750, ISO 125, 200 f/2 VR @ f/2.8 1/320

Nice shots!

-- hide signature --

tordseriksson (at) gmail.....
Owner of a handful of Nikon cameras. And a few lenses.
WSSA #456

 Tord S Eriksson's gear list:Tord S Eriksson's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Ricoh GR Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon 1 V2 +24 more
PerfectPoms
PerfectPoms Senior Member • Posts: 2,268
Re: Nikon 200 f/2 VR II ?
1

I'm surprised more people don't complain more about the weight of the 200 f2.  I sold mine because I didn't use it often enough, and partially because I cursed the weight of that thing almost every time I picked it up.

Now I've got the 120-300 2.8, which is even heavier, and using that lens way too much during the first 20 hours I had it gave me a pinched nerve that left me incapacitated for 7 weeks, and resulted in me taking CBD oil in large amounts for the pain, which I think is what damaged the sight in one of my eyes - and sadly, the eye I used to look through my viewfinder 

I'm a little better now, and took 2,700 photos with that too heavy 120-300 2.8 lens yesterday, hand held.  But I'm getting fewer keepers because I can't see well enough through the viewfinder to be sure the image is in focus enough before I click.

-- hide signature --
 PerfectPoms's gear list:PerfectPoms's gear list
Nikon AF-S 180-400mm F4E TC1.4 Nikon D750 Nikon D4 Nikon D300 Nikon D2Hs +19 more
LensWizard
LensWizard Senior Member • Posts: 1,455
Re: Nikon 200 f/2 VR II ?

PerfectPoms wrote:

I'm surprised more people don't complain more about the weight of the 200 f2. I sold mine because I didn't use it often enough, and partially because I cursed the weight of that thing almost every time I picked it up.

Now I've got the 120-300 2.8, which is even heavier, and using that lens way too much during the first 20 hours I had it gave me a pinched nerve that left me incapacitated for 7 weeks, and resulted in me taking CBD oil in large amounts for the pain, which I think is what damaged the sight in one of my eyes - and sadly, the eye I used to look through my viewfinder

I'm a little better now, and took 2,700 photos with that too heavy 120-300 2.8 lens yesterday, hand held. But I'm getting fewer keepers because I can't see well enough through the viewfinder to be sure the image is in focus enough before I click.

all the best to you and hope all heals up for you. I was wondering what has happen to you here on the forum..  We both have the same combo but will never part with my 200 f/2VR2

-- hide signature --

Canon XLH1 Video, Profoto AcuteR2400, Eizo 27Inch CG277 Monitor, MSI GT80S Laptop, MSI Vortex G-65 Desktop, Wimberly Mk2 Head, Gitzo 5540LS Tripods (2), Arca Swiss Monoball Head, Macbook Pro 15inch Retna Display,Arca Swiss C1 Cube Head, Apple Mac Pro (6) Core 3.5GHZ Dual AMD700's

 LensWizard's gear list:LensWizard's gear list
Leica SL2 Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS-1Ds Leica SL (Typ 601) +26 more
RBFresno
RBFresno Forum Pro • Posts: 12,953
Re: Nikon 200 f/2 VR II ?
1

PerfectPoms wrote:

I'm surprised more people don't complain more about the weight of the 200 f2.

Well,  with regards to why folks don't complain about the 200 VR's weight, reminds me of a close friend who asked me if i knew why his divorce cost so much:

"Because it's worth it". 

While one can justifiably complain of the 200VR's weight, it's IQ is difficult to complain about.

Seriously, when i first got the 200VR, I used it extensively.

Fantastic  Image quality (IQ), outstanding bokeh, fast focusing.

The 200 VR Just kicked a$$ compared to anything else that i was using at the time.

And one thing I noticed was that when using it with  TC 20 E III, it was lighter and better balanced than the 400mm f/4 I was getting with the 200-400VR.

And it's IQ at 400mm was close to the 200-400VR, perhaps even a touch better.

Here I am hand holding the 200VR:

But as I acquired other lenses (e.g. 70-200 f/2.8E Fl. Zeiss 135 f/2 APO Sonnar, 105 f/14.) that approached the 200VR image quality (IQ), I found myself using the 200VR a lot less.

I sold mine because I didn't use it often enough, and partially because I cursed the weight of that thing almost every time I picked it up.

Now I've got the 120-300 2.8, which is even heavier, and using that lens way too much during the first 20 hours I had it gave me a pinched nerve that left me incapacitated for 7 weeks, and resulted in me taking CBD oil in large amounts for the pain, which I think is what damaged the sight in one of my eyes - and sadly, the eye I used to look through my viewfinder

I'm a little better now,

Glad for that!

and took 2,700 photos with that too heavy 120-300 2.8 lens yesterday, hand held. But I'm getting fewer keepers because I can't see well enough through the viewfinder to be sure the image is in focus enough before I click.

Best Regards,

RB

http://www.dpreview.com/members/2305099006/challenges
https://www.nikonimages.com/member-photos/532

 RBFresno's gear list:RBFresno's gear list
Nikon D2H Nikon D4 Nikon D5 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +17 more
T O Shooter Forum Pro • Posts: 11,139
Re: Nikon 200 f/2 VR II ?

PerfectPoms wrote:

I'm surprised more people don't complain more about the weight of the 200 f2. I sold mine because I didn't use it often enough, and partially because I cursed the weight of that thing almost every time I picked it up.

Now I've got the 120-300 2.8, which is even heavier, and using that lens way too much during the first 20 hours I had it gave me a pinched nerve that left me incapacitated for 7 weeks, and resulted in me taking CBD oil in large amounts for the pain, which I think is what damaged the sight in one of my eyes - and sadly, the eye I used to look through my viewfinder

Better if you gave that lens to me, before it kills you. Hardly worth the risk.

I'm a little better now, and took 2,700 photos with that too heavy 120-300 2.8 lens yesterday, hand held. But I'm getting fewer keepers because I can't see well enough through the viewfinder to be sure the image is in focus enough before I click.

-- hide signature --

A Canon G5 and a bit of Nikon gear.
---------------------------
All cameras are so good nowadays, that the good stuff is kinda "given" or "expected". It is the limitations that get to you when you use them in real world situations. Windsurfer LA

 T O Shooter's gear list:T O Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5 Nikon D850 Nikon D500 Nikon D4S +5 more
Michael
Michael Contributing Member • Posts: 635
Re: Nikon 200 f/2 VR II ?

I rented a copy of this lens from lens rentals.com and they had an option to buy the lens - they quote you a 'keeper' price as part of the rental. I ended up keeping the lens - was a simple transaction just didn't have to return the lens.

I wasn't expecting to buy it - initially but after renting it for a 10 day period I realized I wanted to keep it.

They also have some on their sister site currently

https://www.lensauthority.com/products/nikon-200mm-f-2g-ed-af-s-vr-ii

-- hide signature --
 Michael's gear list:Michael's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D3S Nikon Z7 II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 +5 more
PerfectPoms
PerfectPoms Senior Member • Posts: 2,268
Re: Nikon 200 f/2 VR II ?

I was out in the snow yesterday with the puppies, and took about 4,000 photos, and my eye is a bit better, BUT, my stupid contact lens fell out of my viewfinder eye

I tried adjusting the Diopter adjustment on my camera - but I basically just pointed the camera in the direction of the pups and fired away

-- hide signature --
 PerfectPoms's gear list:PerfectPoms's gear list
Nikon AF-S 180-400mm F4E TC1.4 Nikon D750 Nikon D4 Nikon D300 Nikon D2Hs +19 more
JHern
JHern Regular Member • Posts: 115
Re: Nikon 200 f/2 VR II ?

PerfectPoms wrote:

I'm surprised more people don't complain more about the weight of the 200 f2. I sold mine because I didn't use it often enough, and partially because I cursed the weight of that thing almost every time I picked it up.

Now I've got the 120-300 2.8, which is even heavier, and using that lens way too much during the first 20 hours I had it gave me a pinched nerve that left me incapacitated for 7 weeks,

I know the feeling! I got a slipped neck disc after some outings with my 300/2.8, after I had figured out I could fit and carry it in my backpack (stupid!). It was just before a trip to western Canada and Alaska, I had to wear a neck brace the entire time, carried a waist pack with lighter lenses, and just had to deal with the pain as it came and went. I don't want to go through that again, there were times I woke in the middle of the night and there was nothing that helped.

These days, I don't take my 200/2, 300/2.8, or 500/4 out without at least a monopod, and I'm very careful about how I hold it. When I'm not shooting I walk with the pod and camera inverted and gripping from the stout rubbery Gitzo grip, and I change hands occasionally to balance the load...it works pretty well, and I never re-injured my neck. I also regularly do various exercises with modest dumb bells (4 kg only), and that helps build strength and conditioning as well.

 JHern's gear list:JHern's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon D90 Nikon D810 Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF +25 more
JHern
JHern Regular Member • Posts: 115
Re: Nikon 200 f/2 VR II ?

RBFresno wrote:

... I acquired other lenses (...Zeiss 135 f/2 APO Sonnar...) that approached the 200VR image quality (IQ), I found myself using the 200VR a lot less.

I'm going to pick up a 135/2 Milvus in the near future. It seems like a must-have lens...looking forward to it.

Still, the 200/2 is something special, the rendering and performance is simply out of this world. And the AF is unparalleled as far as I've seen. I wonder if Nikon will make another version in the future. I'm guessing they will have a Z mount version at some point.

 JHern's gear list:JHern's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon D90 Nikon D810 Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF +25 more
Gearsau
Gearsau Senior Member • Posts: 2,007
Re: Nikon 200 f/2 VR II ?

RBFresno wrote:

PerfectPoms wrote:

I'm surprised more people don't complain more about the weight of the 200 f2.

Well, with regards to why folks don't complain about the 200 VR's weight, reminds me of a close friend who asked me if i knew why his divorce cost so much:

"Because it's worth it".

While one can justifiably complain of the 200VR's weight, it's IQ is difficult to complain about.

Seriously, when i first got the 200VR, I used it extensively.

Fantastic Image quality (IQ), outstanding bokeh, fast focusing.

The 200 VR Just kicked a$$ compared to anything else that i was using at the time.

And one thing I noticed was that when using it with TC 20 E III, it was lighter and better balanced than the 400mm f/4 I was getting with the 200-400VR.

And it's IQ at 400mm was close to the 200-400VR, perhaps even a touch better.

Here I am hand holding the 200VR:

But as I acquired other lenses (e.g. 70-200 f/2.8E Fl. Zeiss 135 f/2 APO Sonnar, 105 f/14.) that approached the 200VR image quality (IQ), I found myself using the 200VR a lot less.

I sold mine because I didn't use it often enough, and partially because I cursed the weight of that thing almost every time I picked it up.

Now I've got the 120-300 2.8, which is even heavier, and using that lens way too much during the first 20 hours I had it gave me a pinched nerve that left me incapacitated for 7 weeks, and resulted in me taking CBD oil in large amounts for the pain, which I think is what damaged the sight in one of my eyes - and sadly, the eye I used to look through my viewfinder

I'm a little better now,

Glad for that!

and took 2,700 photos with that too heavy 120-300 2.8 lens yesterday, hand held. But I'm getting fewer keepers because I can't see well enough through the viewfinder to be sure the image is in focus enough before I click.

Best Regards,

RB

http://www.dpreview.com/members/2305099006/challenges
https://www.nikonimages.com/member-photos/532

Is that a Left Handed Camera, judging by your photo ?

-- hide signature --

Regards Peter

 Gearsau's gear list:Gearsau's gear list
Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED-IF VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II +20 more
PerfectPoms
PerfectPoms Senior Member • Posts: 2,268
Re: Nikon 200 f/2 VR II ?

One of the best kept secrets in the camera world is Nikon creating Left hand versions of the D4 and D5 for a few of their best customers.   You absolutely won't BELIEVE the used price you can fetch for one of these rarities (but Nikon makes you sign an iron-clad non-disclosure agreement when they agree to sell you one of these beauties - and they are so serious about banning you from talking about these unique cameras that they warn you in the most serious voice you've eva heard that if you leak the existence of this specimen then you should expect that Nikon will sneak into your home and take the camera back (and wipe your memory for good measure too!)  (I just ate 140g of chocolate a while ago.  Maybe that was too much)

-- hide signature --
 PerfectPoms's gear list:PerfectPoms's gear list
Nikon AF-S 180-400mm F4E TC1.4 Nikon D750 Nikon D4 Nikon D300 Nikon D2Hs +19 more
Gearsau
Gearsau Senior Member • Posts: 2,007
Re: Nikon 200 f/2 VR II ?

PerfectPoms wrote:

One of the best kept secrets in the camera world is Nikon creating Left hand versions of the D4 and D5 for a few of their best customers. You absolutely won't BELIEVE the used price you can fetch for one of these rarities (but Nikon makes you sign an iron-clad non-disclosure agreement when they agree to sell you one of these beauties - and they are so serious about banning you from talking about these unique cameras that they warn you in the most serious voice you've eva heard that if you leak the existence of this specimen then you should expect that Nikon will sneak into your home and take the camera back (and wipe your memory for good measure too!) (I just ate 140g of chocolate a while ago. Maybe that was too much)

-- hide signature --

Regards Peter

 Gearsau's gear list:Gearsau's gear list
Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED-IF VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II +20 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads