Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Master619
Master619 Forum Member • Posts: 92
Re: New to Canon EOS R, seeking advice on gear

canonfan1 wrote:

Thanks for advising!

Master619 wrote:

Would like to know your budget also.

I am fortunate to be flexible with my budget. However of course, I will want to be prudent.

The R6 is likely a must.

Why do you say this?

Better in every way (maybe except MP count). Better AF, low light, IBIS, 2 card slots, better battery (even with LP-E6N), newer (more future-proof),...

If you can get 2 lenses, get the 24-70 and the 85 1.2. They will serve all your purposes well, the 24-70 is no macro but for hobby-ish food photography it would usually be more than enough, not to mention you can crop in a bit more in post. 24mm is fantastic for landscapes. The 85 will handle both your portrait and dog needs. 70-200 can be upgraded to / bought later when you can, it has much better range that would be nice at events or capturing your dog from real far, but I don't see the immediate benefits.

If you can only get one, competition boils down to the 85 f2

Did you mean the 85 f1.2 or 85 f2? I am not sure as you mentioned 1.2 in the previous paragraph but 2 over here.

I meant the f1.2 for the "2 lenses" section (above paragraph) and f2 for the "1 lens" section below.

or 24-70. I personally would take the 24-70 here, as you get a bit less macro range but very useful 24mm view. Portraits at 70mm is not too bad compared to 85mm.

At f2.8, is the 24-70 really sufficient for portrait? My understanding is one wants 1.2 to 2.0 for bokeh?

f2.8 is not "the best", but hey, if you're getting 1 lens for all the work, you need to accept compromises. f2.8 still produces beautiful portraits with blurred background bokeh just fine. See below for portraits at 70mm f2.8 (images around the internet, not mine):

Master619's gear list:Master619's gear list
Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 50mm F1.2L USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +1 more
mdvaden New Member • Posts: 15

Eddie Rizk wrote:

One poster commented that the R system is expensive. That's only true if you buy top of the line everything. Canon has outstanding budget options, if that is an issue.

... SNIP

Yes .. one of the first replies. And Canon is not more expensive.

Personally, I have funds for the R5 and expect to buy one, but I aimed for glass first. I even re-acquired the EOS R and bought a 2nd EOS R.

About $1250.00 used and $18 for the brackets for a bit extra on the fingers.

Ignoring this lens, one could easily shoot great photos with Tamron 35mm, 45mm and 85mm VC lenses. Or the light RF 35mm and 85mm.

-- hide signature --

M. D. Vaden in Oregon

gavin
gavin Veteran Member • Posts: 7,868

Sorry I mean Landscape focused people normally go for the highest resolution they can find so R5 would be the choice if that is important. The R5/6 are big improvement over the R/RP. The new AF helps with moving people/animal/sports and the IBIS helps if you are say indoors without a tripod.

-- hide signature --
 gavin's gear list:gavin's gear list
Sony RX100 III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +5 more
Croomrider Regular Member • Posts: 478

thunder storm wrote:

canonfan1 wrote:

I have recently decided to take the plunge and invest in some Canon EOS R gear. Currently, I don't have any, thus will be starting with a blank slate. I have done a lot of reading over the years and while a fan, have not previously owned any Canon gear. Apologies in advance if any of my questions reek of ignorance. I hope to learn as much as I can from the experts on this forum!

I am a serious hobby photographer but do not do this for a living. There are mainly four genres I am interesting in shooting: (1) people/portraits/family, (2) my dog, (3) food, (4) nature landscapes. I hope to take or at least eventually take professional-leve quality photographs in all 4 genres. If it matters, for context, I am also considering going down the social media path.

You have a lot of plans. Note: "Plan" is only the very first step of a cycle: plan do check act plan do check act plan do check act plan do check act (it never stops). As it's a cycle you don't need to make the whole plan at once. All you need is a starting plan. That plan will change, it will see development. The "do check act" will influence your plan in next stages.

Originally, I was thinking of going with this combination: RP body, RF 85mm f/2. I believe this provides good value for money.

After reading and watching a whole bunch of reviews, I am toying with the idea of getting one or some of these: R6 body, RF 24-70mm F2.8, RF 70-200mm F2.8, RF 85mm 1.2.

Reasons for considering R6 body: Saw a few reviews mentioning poor AF on RP. Lack of IBIS and weather-sealing on RP though not sure how important these are.

R6 has the AF you might want for 1 and 2.

Reason for considering RF 85mm 1.2: creamier bokeh than f/2, biggest downside to me is longer focusing distance which might make food photograph more challenging in a restaurant setting?

I'm not sure you would need f/1.2 @ 85mm for food photography. Some food photography isn't about bokeh at all. It's more like product photography: light tents and focus stacking. I would get the 50mm. 50mm is more versatile. Don't worry about depth of field etc. Even with f/2.0 at 50mm DOF is crazy shallow.

Reason for considering RF 24-70mm: could pair well with a 85mm prime?

Reason for considering 70-200mm: could get this instead of a 85mm prime?

For i running dog a 70-200 might be nicer than a slow focusing f/1.2 prime. The RF f/2.0 stm doesn't have the fastest focusing either. The EF 85mm f/1.4 IS USM might be the best option for running dogs, but i would defenitely prefer a zoom with some reach anyway.

Given my needs and thought process, what body/lens combination(s) would you folks here recommend? If you have any insights on some of the thoughts I have above, that will be very helpful too. Thank you everyone!

If you want to shoot your dog while running, i would get the 70-200mm f/2.8 first, and see if you would ever need anything else next to that for portraits. You probably won't. A 24-70mm needs a prime next to it for smoother bokeh, but i 70-200 renders smoother. Note: it isn't about numbers here. At 70mm the 70-200mm gives nicer backgrounds compared to the 24-70mm. And yes, even 70mm&f/2.8 blurres your background enough to get good subject separation in most cases.

If you (still) want an f/1.2 prime, i would get the 50mm over the 85mm, as 50mm is much more versatile, and at these shorter focal lengths the larger apertures are needed more to blur the background enough. Maybe you even won't need an f/2.8 (or f/2.0) standard zoom having the 50mm f/1.2, and add the good and much lighter RF f/4.0 24-105mm. This also kind of justifies the price of the 50mm f/1.2 as the f/4.0 is much more affordable than the f/2.8 standard zoom.

To wrap it up:

R6 + RF 24-105mm f/4.0 IS + RF 50mm f/1.2 USM + RF 70-200mm f/2.8 covers everything nicely if you ask me.

If your dog isn't running that fast, or these are not the kind of pics you had in mind, you might be happy with just the R6 + RF 24-105mm f/4.0 IS + RF 50mm f/1.2 USM. And hey, even your standard zoom has fast AF and 105mm, so if you're satisfied with a 50mm f/1.2 for portraits, it will be fine.

In the end the "do" is the next step, and keep in mind you don't need all the lenses at once to get to that "do" step. Starting with just one lens might change the plan already..... Heck, even 105mm @f/4.0 isn't unusable for portraits.

I agree with most everything said here.

To the OP: In my opinion, with your lack of experience, you need to step into this one step at a time and see what you learn from it. Depending on how much money you want to start with, on the higher end I would suggest the R6 and RF 24-105/F4 L. If you want to start on the low end, the RP with the RF 24-240 is a lot for the money. I have the latter combo, but knew from the beginning I wanted the R5, it's just that availability and cost are an issue for me right now. For me, I know that I prefer zooms 90% of the time for the flexibility they give me. A couple of primes are nice to have for low light or to blow out the background especially with 70mm and under. However, the 24-105 can blow out the background pretty well on the upper end of that focal range on a portrait type shot. When you start talking about less than F2.0 on something like an 85mm lens, the depth of field is very shallow and you may find that you don't want that very often.

danferrin Regular Member • Posts: 404

I disagree.  The OP says he has aspirations to do professional work.  He won’t do professional work without professional equipment.  He might do good work.  He might even shoot a lot of great photos, but without that 85mm f1.2 lens, there will be shots he will never be able to get.  And he won’t have those shots in his portfolio.  If you want to be a professional, equip yourself with professional tools and learn how to use them.  If you choose to cut corners, you can still learn and take some great photos, and even make money with your camera, but if you want to be a professional portrait photographer and support yourself with your work, again, get the right tools and learn how to use them.

-- hide signature --

My life is a circle of confusion - photography is my meditation.

danferrin's gear list:danferrin's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS RP Canon EF 20-35mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +16 more
zman2596
zman2596 Regular Member • Posts: 165

Start somewhere and go from there.  The RP doesn’t have as good of autofocus as the R6 but it’s not bad.  Some reviews could be before Canon made a huge improvement firmware update to the R and RP. I just got an R6 after having a R6 and a 5D Mark III.  I shoot weddings, Family portraits and senior portraits for a part time business. I started with much lower and lesser equipment. You don’t have to buy the best to get started and even make money.  Maybe start with a RP and a 24-105mm and bump up to R6 if you really have the budget. You still have a long way to go with technique, learning aperture, depth of field, composition etc. I started with a used kit that came with a 40D and a 28-135mm and 70-300 when they had 60D. I cut my teeth on that playing around and then got a 50mm 1.8 to learn about depth of field and portraits. My first interest was landscape and wildlife. I played with that a while before getting more into portraits. My interests from the beginning definitely shifted as I shot more.  I’m glad I didn’t buy too much from the beginning before learning what all does what by experience. You can always buy and upgrade anytime. You can learn to take great portraits at F2. You probably should practice that before going to a 1.2. The resolution doesn’t matter for social media much if that’s your goal. So an R6 would be fine, not that it wouldn’t anyway.

zman2596's gear list:zman2596's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS RP Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 G2 +7 more
Bolothegreat Contributing Member • Posts: 689

danferrin wrote:

I disagree. The OP says he has aspirations to do professional work. He won’t do professional work without professional equipment. He might do good work. He might even shoot a lot of great photos, but without that 85mm f1.2 lens, there will be shots he will never be able to get. And he won’t have those shots in his portfolio. If you want to be a professional, equip yourself with professional tools and learn how to use them. If you choose to cut corners, you can still learn and take some great photos, and even make money with your camera, but if you want to be a professional portrait photographer and support yourself with your work, again, get the right tools and learn how to use them.

Seriously?? What about all pros our there doing an amazing job with far cheaper gear?

We don't even have a point of reference as to OPs current gear or his capabilities as a photographer.

Maybe what he currently has is already good enough or he could be using a phone camera for all we know lol.

What about budget? If money is not an issue then of course go for it!

Best of luck

Bolothegreat's gear list:Bolothegreat's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +6 more
quiquae Senior Member • Posts: 2,011

Bolothegreat wrote:

Just wondering what gear you currently have. It sounds like lot of money for a hobby. You could get good enough results with Fuji apsc or Sony full frame would have cheaper /more third party options.

Canon is not a bad choice but more expensive that's all.

Canon has a whole bunch of inexpensive EF lenses that can be smoothly adapted. There is nothing particularly cheap about Fuji lenses, and Sony FE lenses are generally more expensive than EF equivalents (and more in line with RF lenses).

quiquae's gear list:quiquae's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD300 Canon EOS R Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +6 more
Bolothegreat Contributing Member • Posts: 689

quiquae wrote:

Bolothegreat wrote:

Just wondering what gear you currently have. It sounds like lot of money for a hobby. You could get good enough results with Fuji apsc or Sony full frame would have cheaper /more third party options.

Canon has a whole bunch of inexpensive EF lenses that can be smoothly adapted. There is nothing particularly cheap about Fuji lenses, and Sony FE lenses are generally more expensive than EF equivalents (and more in line with RF lenses).

You can do some amazing high quality work with an XT3 & couple of lenses or Sony A7iii & some Tamron lenses...or even the EF lenses as you say.

Bolothegreat's gear list:Bolothegreat's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +6 more
JPAlbert Contributing Member • Posts: 961

I'd suggest the R6 as "the best body for the money" in the R lineup right now (IF money is a consideration).

If money IS NOT a consideration, get the R5.

Granted, the R has 50% more pixels than the R6 (which would help for landscapes), and I have one and like it, but... the improvements in the R6/R5 are just undeniable, particularly the eye-focus for both people AND animals.

I wouldn't spend the big bucks for the 1.2 lens.
Of the lenses you mentioned, I'd pick the RF 24-70 2.8.
But even that is more than I'd care to spend (I could buy any Canon lens I wanted, but I just don't think I could justify it for the amount of shooting I do).

Actually, I'd suggest the 24-105 L 4.0. It's a great all-around lens to serve as "the baseline". I remember that when the R was first introduced, one or two reviewers said (to wit), "that lens was so good, buy the camera to use with it". Of course, since then a lot of "oooh... ahhhh" RF glass has come out. But the 24-105 4.0 is still "what it was" then.

quiquae Senior Member • Posts: 2,011

Bolothegreat wrote:

quiquae wrote:

Bolothegreat wrote:

You can do some amazing high quality work with an XT3 & couple of lenses or Sony A7iii & some Tamron lenses...or even the EF lenses as you say.

Well, yes. So there is nothing wrong with going Canon, right?

quiquae's gear list:quiquae's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD300 Canon EOS R Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +6 more
RDM5546
RDM5546 Senior Member • Posts: 2,169

I am inclinded to agree if I were buying an EOS R with just one lens it would be the EF24-105mm. That was the first lens I bought with the EOS R last year. I was blown a way by two things:

1. How well the adapter worked with the EF lenses that had already

2. How very amazing the RF version of the 24-105 in comparison to the two earlier EF version which I already owned. The RF 24-105mmf4L is level about the EF version across the board. Sharp at 24 and sharp 105mm. Fast focus and it was better than those older lenses.

However I want a RF prime lens and RF super zoom for travelling. I have owned many EF lenses like that but the big and heavy when adapted and need to travel light.

I needed more reach than the 105mm for for local birds, wildlife and other things I like to shoot. I used to carry a EF35-350mmL 10X superzoom but is a pretty heavy lens and I am older and not strong now. I sold the 10X EF superzoom a couple of years ago even though it took some of my memorable picuters. I have EF 100-400mmL II lens that the sharper has even more reach.   I have taken it on trips with dslrs but is a big travel lens and if I brought a prime it would three lenses.   The choice of two travel lens selection was just me and what I planned to take pictures of.

So I then bought the RF35f1.8 prime and RF24-240mm 10X super zoom a couple months to evaluate for use as a two lens solution with the EOS R traveling.   On my one trip before Covid I ended up switching to my newly acquired RF 15-35f2.8L lens along with the EF24-240mm 10X superzoom.   By the time I traveled I knew I wanted eventual the trinity f2.8 lenses that used the most for serious work with DSLRs RF versions for my EOS R and eventual EOS R5 when it came out.  So I brought the 15-35mm and the 24-240mm on my trip.  They worked excellently and handled everything I need.    I did take a few 240mm shots.  I could have gotten by with 24-105mm but I really like the images coming out of the 24-240mm zoom.   So far main use for the 24-105 mm has been for 4X video zooms which benefit from the consant f4 aperatures.    Ultimately budget becomes a factor but both the RF35mmf1.8 and RF24-240mm are pretty inexpensive. You can buy both them at open box sales for less than $1000 which is just a little above the list price of the RF24-105mmL series lens.   It is weather sealed and a more rugged package but that may be so important for some shooters.   I will not replace most of my EF lenses for RF since the EF still work very well.  The RF lenses I have bought were for special reasons.  I like some of my EF lenses better than the new RF equivalents but I am sure that is just my opinion and others will other choices based on their opinions.

RDM5546's gear list:RDM5546's gear list
Canon G5 X II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS R +38 more

RDM5546 wrote:

I am inclinded to agree if I were buying an EOS R with just one lens it would be the EF24-105mm. That was the first lens I bought with the EOS R last year. I was blown a way by two things:

I'm pretty sure you mean the RF24-105/F4L. It is a great lens and much better than either of the EF versions.

danferrin wrote:

I disagree. The OP says he has aspirations to do professional work. He won’t do professional work without professional equipment. He might do good work. He might even shoot a lot of great photos, but without that 85mm f1.2 lens, there will be shots he will never be able to get. And he won’t have those shots in his portfolio. If you want to be a professional, equip yourself with professional tools and learn how to use them. If you choose to cut corners, you can still learn and take some great photos, and even make money with your camera, but if you want to be a professional portrait photographer and support yourself with your work, again, get the right tools and learn how to use them.

You are welcome to your opinion, but I'll bet there are 100 times the professional Portraits shot between F2.8 and F8 than there ever are shot at F2.0 or faster. Also, the OP didn't say he aspired to "be" a professional photographer, but that he wanted to be able to take "professional level" photographs. From what he states and the questions he's asking I'm under the impression he's closer to a beginner than an experienced amateur coming from another system. However, it does seem that he's done some studying and watching videos on YT. That is why I made the recommendation to start slowly by picking a body and a general purpose zoom so that he can get experience and be better equipped to make educated decisions about his direction forward after that.

JackHa2006 Junior Member • Posts: 33

Based on the quantity and quality of the gear you are considering, you seem to have a very very large budget. But since you say you are a beginner, I would suggest you start with only 1 lens and use it for a long while to learn photography and to figure out what is it that lens cannot do in order to decide what to buy next. Spending top dollar for something you don't use is something you should want to avoid. I think the R6 and the RF 24-70 f2.8 can do everything you described. I would suggest the RF 24-105 f4 to someone with a smaller budget and then the RP for an even smaller budget. The RP and RF 24-105 f4 will have compromises but they are very capable gear. The 24-70 f2.8 (EF and RF) are popular with professional wedding photographers so there is no reason it can't take professional level pictures you aspire to. If portraits is the only thing you do, I would suggest you start with one of the RF 50 f1.2, RF 85 f1.2 or the RF 85 f2. Consider getting a flash if you plan on taking pictures indoors.

You may then decide you need more reach or more low light ability or more bokeh or different focal length or lighter weight. But use the first lens to figure out what is your most pressing need.

Good luck with your decision and have fun taking pictures.

JackHa2006's gear list:JackHa2006's gear list
Canon G9 X Canon EOS R6 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 10D Canon EOS M6 +7 more
Eddie Rizk Contributing Member • Posts: 770

JackHa2006 wrote:

Based on the quantity and quality of the gear you are considering, you seem to have a very very large budget. But since you say you are a beginner, I would suggest you start with only 1 lens and use it for a long while to learn photography and to figure out what is it that lens cannot do in order to decide what to buy next. Spending top dollar for something you don't use is something you should want to avoid. I think the R6 and the RF 24-70 f2.8 can do everything you described. I would suggest the RF 24-105 f4 to someone with a smaller budget and then the RP for an even smaller budget. The RP and RF 24-105 f4 will have compromises but they are very capable gear. The 24-70 f2.8 (EF and RF) are popular with professional wedding photographers so there is no reason it can't take professional level pictures you aspire to. If portraits is the only thing you do, I would suggest you start with one of the RF 50 f1.2, RF 85 f1.2 or the RF 85 f2. Consider getting a flash if you plan on taking pictures indoors.

You may then decide you need more reach or more low light ability or more bokeh or different focal length or lighter weight. But use the first lens to figure out what is your most pressing need.

I've heard this a lot.

Some purists take it a step farther and say to start with a 50mm prime only to learn photography.

I see the logic, if the sole objective is to learn photography.

But some people want to get pictures of things in the next year.  You simply can't capture the memories you want with one lens.

When I started, I had kids at home and I had a business marketing real estate.  I wanted picture of properties I was marketing.  I wanted pictures of my kids' sports activities.  I wanted pictures of social events with and without kids.

What one lens should I have gotten?

There are no real estate marketing pictures without an ultra wide.  There are no pictures of sports, outdoor sports at least, without a telephoto zoom or two telephoto primes on two cameras..  There are no party pictures without a normal lens.  There are no night time pictures without a fast lens, unless you want to kill everyone's buzz with flash in their face.

Who wants to miss a year's worth of memories just for an exercise.  You can take the training lens out on days when nothing relevant is going on and exercise then.

-- hide signature --

That's my opinion, and it's worth what you paid for it.
Eddie Rizk
The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.
Formerly "Ed Rizk"
My email was hacked and unrecoverable along with all associated accounts, so I got permission to create a new one.

Eddie Rizk's gear list:Eddie Rizk's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS R Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon 85mm F1.4L IS USM +4 more
RDM5546

Croomrider wrote:

RDM5546 wrote:

I'm pretty sure you mean the RF24-105/F4L. It is a great lens and much better than either of the EF versions.

Yes.  The RF24-105mmf1.4L IS USM is the lens that I meant to say.   Not the EF which not as sharp as the RF and the focus of the EF much faster too.   This was first RF lens I bought.  I wanted to compare this L lens with the EF equivalent of this lens in hopes to learn more about what the new RF mount could do.  I have the EF 24-105mmf4L USM as well as the the EF 24-105mmf4L II USM.  The II version is much better but neither can hold a candle to this RF version of the lense and the II version is fairly recent in introduction.   I used these EF versions for many years with the DSLRs as a travel lens which liked but always could see value is more zoom at the 105mm end.  The RF-105mmf1.4L is a top quality L lens which will last a lifetime, is weather sealed, and fairly rugged.  So I bought the RF 24-240mm 10X super zoom.  I got an open box sale to evaluate for $700 which was good at the time a year ago.   They can had for $600 open box now.   It is best 10X zoom I have owned and I have several over the last 30 years and used them with APS-C camera so I was curious how well it would do on a FF camera.  I had moderate expectations for this superzoom but the performance was surprisingly good as all of the RF lenses tend to be.

Canon G5 X II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS R +38 more
RDM5546
JackHa2006 Junior Member • Posts: 33

Eddie Rizk wrote:

JackHa2006 wrote:

I've heard this a lot.

Some purists take it a step farther and say to start with a 50mm prime only to learn photography.

But some people want to get pictures of things in the next year. You simply can't capture the memories you want with one lens.

When I started, I had kids at home and I had a business marketing real estate. I wanted picture of properties I was marketing. I wanted pictures of my kids' sports activities. I wanted pictures of social events with and without kids.

There are no real estate marketing pictures without an ultra wide. There are no pictures of sports, outdoor sports at least, without a telephoto zoom or two telephoto primes on two cameras.. There are no party pictures without a normal lens. There are no night time pictures without a fast lens, unless you want to kill everyone's buzz with flash in their face.

Who wants to miss a year's worth of memories just for an exercise. You can take the training lens out on days when nothing relevant is going on and exercise then.

My recommendation was based on the OP's list of intended use.

JackHa2006's gear list:JackHa2006's gear list
Canon G9 X Canon EOS R6 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 10D Canon EOS M6 +7 more
Eddie Rizk Contributing Member • Posts: 770

JackHa2006 wrote:

Eddie Rizk wrote:

JackHa2006 wrote:

I've heard this a lot.

But some people want to get pictures of things in the next year. You simply can't capture the memories you want with one lens.

When I started, I had kids at home and I had a business marketing real estate. I wanted picture of properties I was marketing. I wanted pictures of my kids' sports activities. I wanted pictures of social events with and without kids.

There are no real estate marketing pictures without an ultra wide. There are no pictures of sports, outdoor sports at least, without a telephoto zoom or two telephoto primes on two cameras.. There are no party pictures without a normal lens. There are no night time pictures without a fast lens, unless you want to kill everyone's buzz with flash in their face.

Who wants to miss a year's worth of memories just for an exercise. You can take the training lens out on days when nothing relevant is going on and exercise then.

My recommendation was based on the OP's list of intended use.

The OP doesn't need ultra wide for his stated use, but for kids, he still needs normal, long, and fast.

If the quality is acceptable to him, he could get by with just the RF 24-240 and the RF 35.  If he's picky about quality, he needs three, a normal, a wide, and a fast lens.

If the kids are small, he can put off  the long lens, until they are big enough for sports.

-- hide signature --

That's my opinion, and it's worth what you paid for it.
Eddie Rizk
The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.
Formerly "Ed Rizk"
My email was hacked and unrecoverable along with all associated accounts, so I got permission to create a new one.

Eddie Rizk's gear list:Eddie Rizk's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS R Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon 85mm F1.4L IS USM +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads