Leaving the Nocticron 42.5mm for the Sigma 56mm

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Interceptor121 Senior Member • Posts: 2,159
Leaving the Nocticron 42.5mm for the Sigma 56mm
12

I liked my Noctictron however the considerable size especially once the metal hood was factored it meant I used it very very little

Nocticron 42.5mm

So I decided to buy the smaller and lighter Sigma 56mm 1.4 that retails at less than 1/3 of the price of the Leica.

The smaller size has meant I have managed to take the lens with me more times and to my surprise the most interesting shots were ambient not portrait. Perhaps as I have not really tried hard on portrait as I had other objectives and I lacked subjects.

I have been surprised by the sharpness and from what I can see lack of obvious optical defect I even have the impression this lens deals with longitudinal chromatic aberration better than the Nocticron on Olympus body. One thing that works very well is exposure bracketing at sunrise sunset as the lens is pretty fast

Deer Sunrise HDR

Railway to heaven HDR

Woburn Abbey HDR

To the other side

Crossing

Some of the shots have grain and other stuff applied as they were for a club competition on a theme and they are all 2 megapixels as I don't post full rez on the web

Considering the price but more importantly the quality and portability of this lens I would recommend it to anyone wanting a longer portrait and landscape lens. The lens manages backlit and flares very well too

After few weeks of parallel run I have now sold the leica lens as I have already too many lenses in my kit

 Interceptor121's gear list:Interceptor121's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic GH5 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix DC-S5 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +15 more
victorav Contributing Member • Posts: 856
Re: Leaving the Nocticron 42.5mm for the Sigma 56mm

Really like the 2 bw ones. Although not sure how I feel about the partial colour. It's nice but I'm wondering if it would look better just all bw.

Anyway great shots the Sigma is a very nice lens

Lichtspiel
Lichtspiel Senior Member • Posts: 2,505
Re: Leaving the Nocticron 42.5mm for the Sigma 56mm
2

Gotta say though, I like the Nocti shot most out of the bunch!

The B&W came out nicely too.

I think you need to be careful not to go overboard with HDR... of course it's a purely personal opinion/taste sort of thing.

 Lichtspiel's gear list:Lichtspiel's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus 8mm F1.8 Fisheye Pro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +3 more
MEDISN
MEDISN Senior Member • Posts: 1,347
Re: Leaving the Nocticron 42.5mm for the Sigma 56mm
1

I've always found it a bit too tight on mFT but rather perfect for APS.  Excellent lens for the money.

Sigma 56mm f/1.4 on the CL

victorav Contributing Member • Posts: 856
Re: Leaving the Nocticron 42.5mm for the Sigma 56mm

You have a CL! I'm jealous

Doxa750 Contributing Member • Posts: 516
Re: Leaving the Nocticron 42.5mm for the Sigma 56mm

Those are super!  Thanks for sharing and glad to hear you are happy and excited about your new acquisition.

Cheers

 Doxa750's gear list:Doxa750's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M1 III Olympus Zuiko Digital 2.0x Teleconverter EC-20 Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +7 more
Cyvan Regular Member • Posts: 398
Re: Leaving the Nocticron 42.5mm for the Sigma 56mm

Interceptor121 wrote:

I liked my Noctictron however the considerable size especially once the metal hood was factored it meant I used it very very little

After few weeks of parallel run I have now sold the leica lens as I have already too many lenses in my kit

Aww pity. I was going to ask you to do a comparison for me.

I was actually given a choice between the Sigma at full price and the Noct at a significant discount but still $300 more than the Sigma. So I went for it Sigma

I got it and I was amazed at the shots I got out of it but something felt kinda .. "off" . Then someone mentioned that they sold their's because yes, the background rendering was sublime etc, but the images from the Sigma just seemed 'flat' , 2 dimensional, supposedly because of the compression of the longer FL. I'm not convinced but I think that's what I might have been seeing myself.

I wanted to compare a headshot from both to see if there was any difference in the rendering. That would justify me saving up for the Noct or a 45 f1.2 eventually.

 Cyvan's gear list:Cyvan's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +6 more
OP Interceptor121 Senior Member • Posts: 2,159
Re: Leaving the Nocticron 42.5mm for the Sigma 56mm

Cyvan wrote:

Interceptor121 wrote:

I liked my Noctictron however the considerable size especially once the metal hood was factored it meant I used it very very little

After few weeks of parallel run I have now sold the leica lens as I have already too many lenses in my kit

Aww pity. I was going to ask you to do a comparison for me.

I was actually given a choice between the Sigma at full price and the Noct at a significant discount but still $300 more than the Sigma. So I went for it Sigma

I got it and I was amazed at the shots I got out of it but something felt kinda .. "off" . Then someone mentioned that they sold their's because yes, the background rendering was sublime etc, but the images from the Sigma just seemed 'flat' , 2 dimensional, supposedly because of the compression of the longer FL. I'm not convinced but I think that's what I might have been seeing myself.

I wanted to compare a headshot from both to see if there was any difference in the rendering. That would justify me saving up for the Noct or a 45 f1.2 eventually.

I have Nocticron headshots pretty much all I had with it but not yet with Sigma when I have some will post
The Nocticron is a slightly more complex image but the sigma is not flat. If you went on that line than all olympus lenses are ‘surgical’ too

At the end is not good to have a lens in the cupboard you need to take it with you and the smaller format means you take more shots this was my consideration

 Interceptor121's gear list:Interceptor121's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic GH5 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix DC-S5 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +15 more
dkyl Contributing Member • Posts: 892
Re: Leaving the Nocticron 42.5mm for the Sigma 56mm
1

I was thinking of doing the opposite.

Bought the Sigma 56 but dunno, something didn't do it for me. Was thinking of selling it and trying out the Nocticron.

 dkyl's gear list:dkyl's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-4 Nikon D700 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus E-PL9 Nikon Z6 II +6 more
Harold66
Harold66 Forum Pro • Posts: 10,175
Not the way of thinking of most portrait photos

Both lenses are very good quality but anyone serious about portrait work  would not choose between those two lenses between a small size difference but would base their  choice on the BIG difference in focal length

Unless one shoots mostly head and shoulders portrait there is no doubt that the FOV of the Nocticron is MUCH BETTER suited to portrait work

Harold

-- hide signature --

FOLLOW me on IG @ledaylightstudio.
thedemandingtraveler.org
www.haroldglit.com
IG :thedemandingtraveler

 Harold66's gear list:Harold66's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Ricoh GR Ricoh GR II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II +5 more
MOD Tom Caldwell Forum Pro • Posts: 41,940
Not leaving the Nocticron 42.5mm
1

I am sure that the Sigma is very good.  But I would never give up my Nocticron.

The Nocticron whispers  “I am M4/3 at its best” every time I use it. Maybe it is because I use it on Panasonic bodies.   Maybe because it makes such an impression when used with the GM5. Maybe it is because I can use the whole aperture range and don’t leave it wide open -it is light-versatile and quite strange to be a lens stabilsed f1.2.  Maybe it is because I scrapped the silly oem hood and bought a flat sided shorter screw-in hood and leave the hood permanently fixed with a new end cap to suit.  I have not used it just for portraiture.

I don’t seeany size issue with it and it is a perfect lens on the GM5, but quite happy on any camera body if I desire.

Whatever the reason the Nocticon walks my walk and talks my talk ... someone obviously got a good buy.

Your images are excellent.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

OP Interceptor121 Senior Member • Posts: 2,159
Re: Not the way of thinking of most portrait photos

Harold66 wrote:

Both lenses are very good quality but anyone serious about portrait work would not choose between those two lenses between a small size difference but would base their choice on the BIG difference in focal length

Unless one shoots mostly head and shoulders portrait there is no doubt that the FOV of the Nocticron is MUCH BETTER suited to portrait work

Harold

Not my experience with the focal length of 43mm you need a lot space for more than a headshot at 1 meter the frame width is only 41 cm so to get a person in full and some headroom you need 4.5 meters in my house I have only one room that is that long

so what I had to do to capture a full figure was to go outside as the lens is bulky this was a pain 
so this was mostly for headshots and you can get the same with the sigma in a house

outdoors there is no problem and the sigma has at least a splashproof mount

obviously if you have access to a studio or a house with 6 meters room this is different but in UK this is rare

The most used lens for all my portraits and functions is the 25mm for this reason

This was the same when I was shooting Nikon so it has been foolish for me not to consider that however with the sigma being so light it is easier to take it around

 Interceptor121's gear list:Interceptor121's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic GH5 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix DC-S5 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +15 more
Cyvan Regular Member • Posts: 398
Re: Leaving the Nocticron 42.5mm for the Sigma 56mm

dkyl wrote:

I was thinking of doing the opposite.

Bought the Sigma 56 but dunno, something didn't do it for me. Was thinking of selling it and trying out the Nocticron.

Yeah , I really wish I could narrow it down to what it is specifically. I like to know the root cause of stuff so I find not being able to put my finger on it very annoying. It's just that I've taken some shots with the Sigma, the bokeh and separation is there but I'm just 'underwhelmed'. I also have the 42.5 f1.7 and the 75mm f1.8 and I don't remember feeling that way about any of their images.

I'm wholly open to the idea that it might be me and not the lens because that's something I can fix and I have no delusions of grandeur. It doesn't happen for all pics so it might very well be how the picture was lit for example.

If I can find Sigma examples that I can actually post I'll put them here and get the forum's expert opinion.

One thing I have found with the Sigma though , head and shoulders @f1.4 is too much. If u're not careful you'll end up with something like the eyes in focus but the tip of the nose is blurred. So I'm learning to stop it down to 1.8-2 for those. Only shoot it wide for half and full body shots.

 Cyvan's gear list:Cyvan's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +6 more
Cyvan Regular Member • Posts: 398
Re: Not the way of thinking of most portrait photos

Harold66 wrote:

Both lenses are very good quality but anyone serious about portrait work would not choose between those two lenses between a small size difference but would base their choice on the BIG difference in focal length

Unless one shoots mostly head and shoulders portrait there is no doubt that the FOV of the Nocticron is MUCH BETTER suited to portrait work

Harold

Yeah I find the 42.5mm FL to be more versatile but I wanted more separation , esp for full body shots than I was getting with the 42.5 f1.7 but my subsequently acquired 75mm was harder to work with. The Sigma is a good compromise, esp for the price.

I still wouldn't sell my 75 though because I still use it for night events etc where the fact its my fastest long lens is an asset.

 Cyvan's gear list:Cyvan's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +6 more
dkyl Contributing Member • Posts: 892
Re: Leaving the Nocticron 42.5mm for the Sigma 56mm
1

Cyvan wrote:

dkyl wrote:

I was thinking of doing the opposite.

Bought the Sigma 56 but dunno, something didn't do it for me. Was thinking of selling it and trying out the Nocticron.

Yeah , I really wish I could narrow it down to what it is specifically. I like to know the root cause of stuff so I find not being able to put my finger on it very annoying. It's just that I've taken some shots with the Sigma, the bokeh and separation is there but I'm just 'underwhelmed'. I also have the 42.5 f1.7 and the 75mm f1.8 and I don't remember feeling that way about any of their images.

I'm wholly open to the idea that it might be me and not the lens because that's something I can fix and I have no delusions of grandeur. It doesn't happen for all pics so it might very well be how the picture was lit for example.

If I can find Sigma examples that I can actually post I'll put them here and get the forum's expert opinion.

One thing I have found with the Sigma though , head and shoulders @f1.4 is too much. If u're not careful you'll end up with something like the eyes in focus but the tip of the nose is blurred. So I'm learning to stop it down to 1.8-2 for those. Only shoot it wide for half and full body shots.

I tend to agree. Can’t really put my finger on it and may well just be my recent mood and nothing to do with the lens.

I used to own the 75mm f/1.8. Other than being too long to use indoors I loved the results. But I was also younger and far more enthusiastic as a photographer back then. Maybe I’ve just grown older and grumpier

 dkyl's gear list:dkyl's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-4 Nikon D700 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus E-PL9 Nikon Z6 II +6 more
Harold66
Harold66 Forum Pro • Posts: 10,175
Re: ALL of it is false

Interceptor121 wrote:

Harold66 wrote:

Both lenses are very good quality but anyone serious about portrait work would not choose between those two lenses between a small size difference but would base their choice on the BIG difference in focal length

Unless one shoots mostly head and shoulders portrait there is no doubt that the FOV of the Nocticron is MUCH BETTER suited to portrait work

Harold

Not my experience with the focal length of 43mm you need a lot space for more than a headshot at 1 meter the frame width is only 41 cm

This is ALL untrue . First of all the Nocticron is actually wider than the 42,5mm of the Lumix lens . there has been a few tests on you tube to show that and since I have all this 40mm something lenses I conducted a test myself and was able to determine that the Nocticron is closer to a 41mm.

It may not sound like  much but in real life at the short distances you mentioned it does make a BIG difference

so to get a person in full and some headroom you need 4.5 meters in my house I have only one room that is that long

unless you photograph people over 7 feet tall this is exaggerated . normally you can get someone full length with a shorter distance than the one you mentioned

so what I had to do to capture a full figure was to go outside as the lens is bulky this was a pain
so this was mostly for headshots and you can get the same with the sigma in a house

Not also false . You cannot get it both ways . if you say that you can barely get a headshot at 1 or 1.5 m with the Nocticron you can not pretend that this is the same with the sigma

outdoors there is no problem and the sigma has at least a splashproof mount

yes but not really relevant unless you shoot under HEAVY rain

obviously if you have access to a studio or a house with 6 meters room this is different but in UK this is rare

No my studio  has several rooms ans most of my shots with the Nocticron are made with a shorter distance than the 4.5 meters you mentioned ?

are you using a different image ratio than the native 4.3 ratio maybe ?

The most used lens for all my portraits and functions is the 25mm for this reason

This was the same when I was shooting Nikon so it has been foolish for me not to consider that however with the sigma being so light it is easier to take it around

I am glad you are happy with the Sigma . it is just the info you give is not true or something else is missing here

Harold

-- hide signature --

FOLLOW me on IG @ledaylightstudio.
thedemandingtraveler.org
www.haroldglit.com
IG :thedemandingtraveler

 Harold66's gear list:Harold66's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Ricoh GR Ricoh GR II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II +5 more
The Lamentable Lens Contributing Member • Posts: 521
Re: ALL of it is false

Harold66 wrote:

Interceptor121 wrote:

Harold66 wrote:

Both lenses are very good quality but anyone serious about portrait work would not choose between those two lenses between a small size difference but would base their choice on the BIG difference in focal length

Unless one shoots mostly head and shoulders portrait there is no doubt that the FOV of the Nocticron is MUCH BETTER suited to portrait work

Harold

Not my experience with the focal length of 43mm you need a lot space for more than a headshot at 1 meter the frame width is only 41 cm

This is ALL untrue . First of all the Nocticron is actually wider than the 42,5mm of the Lumix lens . there has been a few tests on you tube to show that and since I have all this 40mm something lenses I conducted a test myself and was able to determine that the Nocticron is closer to a 41mm.

It may not sound like much but in real life at the short distances you mentioned it does make a BIG difference

so to get a person in full and some headroom you need 4.5 meters in my house I have only one room that is that long

unless you photograph people over 7 feet tall this is exaggerated . normally you can get someone full length with a shorter distance than the one you mentioned

I don't have a dog in this fight (sadly, perhaps, I recently sold my Noct), but it's a little strange to see folks arguing over math. As Interceptor notes, at 41mm on m43, the vertical FOV is less than 1m.

If you're taking full body portraits with the Noct, you'd need a good 4.5+ meters, depending on the subject's height of course (5 meters gives a vertical FOV of just over 2m).

 The Lamentable Lens's gear list:The Lamentable Lens's gear list
Ricoh GR III Olympus OM-D E-M10 III Sony a7R III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +7 more
OP Interceptor121 Senior Member • Posts: 2,159
Re: ALL of it is false

Harold66 wrote:

Interceptor121 wrote:

Harold66 wrote:

Both lenses are very good quality but anyone serious about portrait work would not choose between those two lenses between a small size difference but would base their choice on the BIG difference in focal length

Unless one shoots mostly head and shoulders portrait there is no doubt that the FOV of the Nocticron is MUCH BETTER suited to portrait work

Harold

Not my experience with the focal length of 43mm you need a lot space for more than a headshot at 1 meter the frame width is only 41 cm

This is ALL untrue . First of all the Nocticron is actually wider than the 42,5mm of the Lumix lens . there has been a few tests on you tube to show that and since I have all this 40mm something lenses I conducted a test myself and was able to determine that the Nocticron is closer to a 41mm.

It may not sound like much but in real life at the short distances you mentioned it does make a BIG difference

so to get a person in full and some headroom you need 4.5 meters in my house I have only one room that is that long

unless you photograph people over 7 feet tall this is exaggerated . normally you can get someone full length with a shorter distance than the one you mentioned

so what I had to do to capture a full figure was to go outside as the lens is bulky this was a pain
so this was mostly for headshots and you can get the same with the sigma in a house

Not also false . You cannot get it both ways . if you say that you can barely get a headshot at 1 or 1.5 m with the Nocticron you can not pretend that this is the same with the sigma

outdoors there is no problem and the sigma has at least a splashproof mount

yes but not really relevant unless you shoot under HEAVY rain

obviously if you have access to a studio or a house with 6 meters room this is different but in UK this is rare

No my studio has several rooms ans most of my shots with the Nocticron are made with a shorter distance than the 4.5 meters you mentioned ?

are you using a different image ratio than the native 4.3 ratio maybe ?

The most used lens for all my portraits and functions is the 25mm for this reason

This was the same when I was shooting Nikon so it has been foolish for me not to consider that however with the sigma being so light it is easier to take it around

I am glad you are happy with the Sigma . it is just the info you give is not true or something else is missing here

Harold

I have used the lens and you can test with a meter or with a website

you need to look at horizontal field of view and not diagonal

Measure your walls

field of view is 22.75 degrees at 4.5 meters you are at 1.8

Formula is

2*arctan(17.3/43/2)=22.74

frame width at 4.5 meters = 2*4.5*tan(fov/2)=181 cm

Please check your facts before going off with such statements

 Interceptor121's gear list:Interceptor121's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic GH5 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix DC-S5 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +15 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads