Sony to Canon?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
ajamils1
ajamils1 Senior Member • Posts: 2,031
Sony to Canon?

Anybody recently switched from Sony A9/A7rIV to Canon R5? If so, how's the experience? Pros/Cons?

Also, how do you find colors in JPEGS (yes RAW is always better etc etc.).

ajamils1's gear list:ajamils1's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Canon EOS R5 Sigma 60-600mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 Tamron 28-200mm F2.8-5.6 +1 more
Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Andy David New Member • Posts: 18
I switched. I am very happy too

Colors, RAW or JPEG are so much better IMHO.  THe standard RAW profiles for Sony were never to my liking and I spend too much time creating my own trying to fix skin tones.

I haven't had a chance to use my Canon as much as I would like, but it feels so much better in my hands and jpegs out of the camera look better to me.

I plan on doing a review when I get a chance, but it seems every I day I find something where I say 'wow, this is so much better than my Sony'.  The latest is the touchscreen.

ajamils1
OP ajamils1 Senior Member • Posts: 2,031
Re: I switched. I am very happy too

Thanks Andy. What is your current Canon setup?

I agree with you. I have owned Sony for years but even today I am not totally happy with the colors. They are a lot better than they used to be but they still require a lot more PP than I like to do (or maybe I'm just bad with LR )

Sony RX100 VI Canon EOS R5 Sigma 60-600mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 Tamron 28-200mm F2.8-5.6 +1 more
Steve W Veteran Member • Posts: 5,246

Well I don't know yet but when ever my R5 arrives I will do a head to head comparison for myself. Shot Canon for 25 years with my last DSLR being the 5D Mark IV. Started shooting Sony in parallel with it originally to get a 36 then 42 Mpixel body that could use Canon lenses. After about three years of shooting both I moved over to Sony almost completely.
Did buy a EOS R last holiday season and was less than impressed (still have it though) but for Sony currently have A7R III, IV, and A9.

Just this past week decided to order and R5 after finally selling some other gear that allowed me to afford it. Don't know when it will arrive thought. May have to wait awhile.

Of course saw my first full rumor on the A7R V. It seems like the only unknowns is the sensor resolution and frames per second. Its supposedly will have the flip screen, menus, dual slots for CFexpress/SD cards of the A7S III, and the new high-res view finder.  Thought to be available by April of next year. We'll see.

-- hide signature --

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe! - Words to live by. Albert Einstein

Steve W's gear list:Steve W's gear list
Sony a9 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T4 Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM +35 more
Jeff108 Regular Member • Posts: 133
Re: Sony to Canon?

Ya I just sold my A7Riv

my first Canon since the film days. I love the R5

pros for Canon:  the ergonomics and menus are so much better, it’s quite amazing.  I also think the Canon eye AF is better than the Sony

The Sony has better dynamic range and IQ and the camera also allows for much better customization than the Canon

Also I’ve had no buffering issue with the Canon and it’s constantly an issue with the Sony
i also find that the Canon white balance is quite quirky.  I shoot raw so it doesn’t matter but It’s a hassle.  I’ve owned Nikon, Olympus, Sony and Canon and the Canon white balance is by far the worst

I did read that others have found that issue as well

as far as lens go, I love the RF lenses.  I have the 50 1.2 and 24-70.  Sony has no answer to the 50 1.2 and the Sony 24-70 GM is inferior

Ive had the Sony A7Rii, A7Riii and A7Riv and they aren’t tough cameras .  I shoot primarily portrait and don’t beat up my cameras, but the weather seal stinks and all 3 started having issues after a year

the R5 is new but it just seems  so much better built

Jeff108's gear list:Jeff108's gear list
Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 Canon EOS R5 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Canon RF 50mm F1.2L USM +2 more
ajamils1

Never owned a Canon camera before as I've always been in mirrorless world but have owned everything else. R5 is the first canon that finally intrigues me.

As for finding R5, check local stores. I believe Berger Bros had few in stock last week.

Don't believe it haha

Steve W wrote:

Well I don't know yet but when ever my R5 arrives I will do a head to head comparison for myself. Shot Canon for 25 years with my last DSLR being the 5D Mark IV. Started shooting Sony in parallel with it originally to get a 36 then 42 Mpixel body that could use Canon lenses. After about three years of shooting both I moved over to Sony almost completely.
Did buy a EOS R last holiday season and was less than impressed (still have it though) but for Sony currently have A7R III, IV, and A9.

Just this past week decided to order and R5 after finally selling some other gear that allowed me to afford it. Don't know when it will arrive thought. May have to wait awhile.

Of course saw my first full rumor on the A7R V. It seems like the only unknowns is the sensor resolution and frames per second. Its supposedly will have the flip screen, menus, dual slots for CFexpress/SD cards of the A7S III, and the new high-res view finder. Thought to be available by April of next year. We'll see.

If you are familiar with Sony you know that their rumors are 99% wrong until about a week before a camera comes out.  Sometimes the rumor sites are caught by surprise

What you are seeing now is people wishing for a camera like the R5 and taking the specifications for it and adding to a wish list.  I've see a good number of comments asking for a camera to go up against the R5.

I am 100% that no one would know details of a camera slated for next April right now, and I have my doubts about an A7R5 coming so soon.  An A74 is more likely if I had to guess.

I liked Sony cameras, but once I held an R5 I fell in love.  This camera is going to last me many years.   I don't need 50 or 80 megapixels and it will be many years before something comes along better than 8K RAW video without some external device. And 20 frames a second is too much for me. I tried it and ended up 300 pictures I don't need. haha!

ajamils1 wrote:

Thanks Andy. What is your current Canon setup?

I agree with you. I have owned Sony for years but even today I am not totally happy with the colors. They are a lot better than they used to be but they still require a lot more PP than I like to do (or maybe I'm just bad with LR )

At the moment and R5 and a 24-105 F4 RF. I also have a newer EF70-200 F2.8.  Next up is likely the 85mm F2 macro.   It might a while though I am taking my time and have not had a chance to get out much lately.

When I first held the R5 after having Sonys for while it was love at first sight.  It just felt right and so far ahs been a joy to use.

Re: Don't believe it haha

Andy David wrote:

Steve W wrote:

Of course saw my first full rumor on the A7R V. It seems like the only unknowns is the sensor resolution and frames per second. Its supposedly will have the flip screen, menus, dual slots for CFexpress/SD cards of the A7S III, and the new high-res view finder. Thought to be available by April of next year. We'll see.

If you are familiar with Sony you know that their rumors are 99% wrong until about a week before a camera comes out. Sometimes the rumor sites are caught by surprise

What you are seeing now is people wishing for a camera like the R5 and taking the specifications for it and adding to a wish list. I've see a good number of comments asking for a camera to go up against the R5.

I am 100% that no one would know details of a camera slated for next April right now, and I have my doubts about an A7R5 coming so soon. An A74 is more likely if I had to guess.

I liked Sony cameras, but once I held an R5 I fell in love. This camera is going to last me many years. I don't need 50 or 80 megapixels and it will be many years before something comes along better than 8K RAW video without some external device. And 20 frames a second is too much for me. I tried it and ended up 300 pictures I don't need. haha!

I know there only rumors but every piece that is mentioned is already available so its a very reasonable to that he A7SIII and remove and replace sensor and processor and get the A7R V. But enough about that.

Vide for me is pretty much a don't care so the 8K is not even on my list of needs. I am concerned about the cost of the RF glass. Bought lots of prior EF L glass and GM glass but the Canon RF primes are much more. I'd say about 30% more. The zooms are only about 10% more.

-- hide signature --

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe! - Words to live by. Albert Einstein

Sony a9 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T4 Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM +35 more
Georgeee
Georgeee Contributing Member • Posts: 642
The 200-600mm will keep my Sony for a while

I also have 5DIV and plan on getting R5 next year

Georgeee's gear list:Georgeee's gear list
Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +8 more
Re: The 200-600mm will keep my Sony for a while

Georgeee wrote:

I also have 5DIV and plan on getting R5 next year

For the 200-600mm and 100-400mm I'm using my version 1 of the  A9 since those two lenses I use for wildlife and birds in flight. Occasionally will put A7R III or A7R IV on them to get more resolution and crop-ability. Not sure how I feel about the RF 100-500 as a replacement for those to use with an R5.

Really wonder if the smarter thing to do is but the money toward a lightly used A9 II and just stay put.

-- hide signature --

Georgeee
Georgeee Contributing Member • Posts: 642

I will have 2 bodies, one Sony to go with Sony lenses and adopted EF lenses, one R5 to go with RF lenses and adopted EF lenses to take advantages of both

Georgeee's gear list:Georgeee's gear list
Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +8 more
haha, the old wait 6 months or a year!

Don't be gullible.  Sony has had 26MP BSI APSC sensors for a few years and shutters capable of max 1/18000th of a second.  They left them all off their high end APSC cameras though because Sony doesn't want their cameras to compete against each other.  Only the A9 will shoot 15-20 FPS.  No other Sony will get as good video specs than the A7Siii.   Its just the way Sony works.

Like past hoax rumors you might end up waiting 6 months and get nothing.  Then you'll fall for another hoax and wait 6 more months (remember the A7000?) Its not worth the wait.   I can take a lot of pictures in 6 months.

JConrad Regular Member • Posts: 179
Re: Sony to Canon?

I didn't switch per se, but rather added an R6 and an RF kit to my existing Sony kit (and sold off my Fuji and Sony APS-C gear that I haven't used much in the past year).

I have an A7R IV with a full complement of lenses, and while I still would consider that my 'main' kit, I've been using the R6 a lot more the past month, partly because it's new, and partly because it's just a really enjoyable system to use.  The camera is more comfortable to hold, the AF is exceptional (even a tick better than the A7R IV), and the IBIS is at least two stops better than Sony's.

There are still some things I really like about my A7R IV (mainly the insane resolution, and the great lens selection), but it is possible I may migrate more fully to Canon over the coming year or two.  We'll see how things develop.

Both systems are outstanding at the moment, though, and I think it's only worth doing a wholesale switch if you are dissatisfied with your Sony, or there is something the R5 does that is incredibly interesting to you, as the switch will be costly, especially given the current lens selection, which consists predominantly of very expensive glass.  I have three RF lenses (35/1.8, 85/2, 24-105L) and then adapt EF glass to fill out the other gaps due to cost.  Would love to see Tamron and Sigma port their E-Mount glass to the RF mount, as the 14-24mm DN Art and the Tamron 70-180/2.8 are just outstanding lenses, and affordable (and relatively compact) too.

JConrad's gear list:JConrad's gear list
Sony a7R IV Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC +12 more
Dan_168 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,639
Not a R5 owner yet but will add one.

ajamils1 wrote:

Anybody recently switched from Sony A9/A7rIV to Canon R5? If so, how's the experience? Pros/Cons?

Also, how do you find colors in JPEGS (yes RAW is always better etc etc.).

I am multiple system user currently own a pair of 1D series SLR bodies and a7R IV, and planning to add a R5, already played with the R5 many times when shooting out friends, much much more comfortable to shoot with, all the buttons and dials just feel so much easier to use even for short period of time with the camera, it also has the lossless compressed raw like the Nikon, I also like the " Canon color", a lot less work in Post Processing, also the Canon adapter makes all my EF lens works as native lenses, while the Metabones will do some trick on the Sony but I believe the Canon one will always have better compatibilities, and looking at the lens I use a lot, like the 85 1.2 RF more than my Sony 85GM, I like the Canon 35L II better than the Sony 35 1.4, i don't do video, so the over heating issue won't affect me at all.

However, I am not ready to get rid of the A7R IV yet as I simply love those Zeiss Loxia and Voigtlander primes too much, they don't make it in Canon mount, so even I don't care for the Sony body that much but i will still keep that Sony body just for those lenses, also the DR and resolution from this Sony body is still amazing, it's been my dedicated hiking/Backpacking landscape camera set up and it will be for a while.

Georgeee wrote:

I will have 2 bodies, one Sony to go with Sony lenses and adopted EF lenses, one R5 to go with RF lenses and adopted EF lenses to take advantages of both

That's exactly what I will do too, i got quite a few really nice Canon lenses so it will be easy for me just to add a R5.

But there is a lot of great lenses on the Sony system I will not give up, besides the 200-600, I really like those Zeiss Loxia and Voigtlander primes, and just for those lens, I will always keep one Sony body, there is also a 12-24 F2.8GM, i don't own one but I have the chance to play with that and I have to say that 's really the best super wide I have ever seen,  In fact, i am also considering to get Z7 II later or whatever update Nikon will bring out next, since those Z mount lenses can be easily adapted on the Nikon system, that way i get the best of both world, mounting the lens I like on a body I like.

Re: Not a R5 owner yet but will add one.

Dan_168 wrote:

ajamils1 wrote:

I am multiple system user currently own a pair of 1D series SLR bodies and a7R IV, and planning to add a R5, already played with the R5 many times when shooting out friends, much much more comfortable to shoot with, all the buttons and dials just feel so much easier to use even for short period of time with the camera, it also has the lossless compressed raw like the Nikon, I also like the " Canon color", a lot less work in Post Processing, also the Canon adapter makes all my EF lens works as native lenses, while the Metabones will do some trick on the Sony but I believe the Canon one will always have better compatibilities, and looking at the lens I use a lot, like the 85 1.2 RF more than my Sony 85GM, I like the Canon 35L II better than the Sony 35 1.4, i don't do video, so the over heating issue won't affect me at all.

However, I am not ready to get rid of the A7R IV yet as I simply love those Zeiss Loxia and Voigtlander primes too much, they don't make it in Canon mount, so even I don't care for the Sony body that much but i will still keep that Sony body just for those lenses, also the DR and resolution from this Sony body is still amazing, it's been my dedicated hiking/Backpacking landscape camera set up and it will be for a while.

Sound like a quite a few of us have a foot in both Sony and Canon camp and plan to use both. When I added Sony to Canon back in 2014 it started that way with the 5D series and 1DIV/1DX as my main systems and added A7 cameras for high resolution.  Now 6 years later its the opposite and have some Sony lenses like the 20/1.8, 24/1.4, 50/1.4ZA, 135/1.8 GM and Loxia primes along with the 100-400 and 200-600 zooms as my favorites and the resolution of the A7RIV and the zero black-out of the A9 cameras.

But Canon is coming back strong and we all seem to want to work with both.  Their new RF lenses are really great for some but we can't afford to simply switch or just may not want to completely. And then there are some great EF lenses still like the 35/1.4L II that can't be ignored.

-- hide signature --

Steve W wrote:

Dan_168 wrote:

ajamils1 wrote:

Sound like a quite a few of us have a foot in both Sony and Canon camp and plan to use both. When I added Sony to Canon back in 2014 it started that way with the 5D series and 1DIV/1DX as my main systems and added A7 cameras for high resolution. Now 6 years later its the opposite and have some Sony lenses like the 20/1.8, 24/1.4, 50/1.4ZA, 135/1.8 GM and Loxia primes along with the 100-400 and 200-600 zooms as my favorites and the resolution of the A7RIV and the zero black-out of the A9 cameras.

But Canon is coming back strong and we all seem to want to work with both. Their new RF lenses are really great for some but we can't afford to simply switch or just may not want to completely. And then there are some great EF lenses still like the 35/1.4L II that can't be ignored.

For me I actually don't want to keep the Sony system, only because of the Zeiss Loxia and Voigtlander primes so I will keep one. after 6 long years I still don[t care for the Sony ergo, even with the 7rIV. but have to say Sony sensor is top notch so I will put up with it for now. actually I am seriously thinking to get a Z7 II so I can use those E-mount lenses on it and get rid of the 7r IV.

ajamils1

Dan_168 wrote:

For me I actually don't want to keep the Sony system, only because of the Zeiss Loxia and Voigtlander primes so I will keep one. after 6 long years I still don[t care for the Sony ergo, even with the 7rIV. but have to say Sony sensor is top notch so I will put up with it for now. actually I am seriously thinking to get a Z7 II so I can use those E-mount lenses on it and get rid of the 7r IV.

Multi-system does not work for me. I tried it before and I just get confusing as to what t take on trips and where to spend money. Not to mention the extra amount of money tied up.

As for Sony system,  I agree with you. having owned A7, A7II, A7rII, A7rIII, A9 and A9II, I never felt completely happy with the camera bodies. In contrast, I tried Z7 for few weeks and loved the ergos, menus and touchscreen operations but at that point the AF wasn't up to task and lenses were not available so I never switched.

Assuming the Z7II AF has improved, I like your idea about using it for E-mount lenses but then again, you are investing in multiple systems.

Collecting vs consolidating

ajamils1 wrote:

Dan_168 wrote:

Multi-system does not work for me. I tried it before and I just get confusing as to what t take on trips and where to spend money. Not to mention the extra amount of money tied up.

As for Sony system, I agree with you. having owned A7, A7II, A7rII, A7rIII, A9 and A9II, I never felt completely happy with the camera bodies. In contrast, I tried Z7 for few weeks and loved the ergos, menus and touchscreen operations but at that point the AF wasn't up to task and lenses were not available so I never switched.

Assuming the Z7II AF has improved, I like your idea about using it for E-mount lenses but then again, you are investing in multiple systems.

I've hit the point where I no longer see the benefit of collecting different types of cameras.  They depreciate over time, and I've lost a lot of money on cameras I rarely used.

Its the reason I bought the R5.   It does everything well and there are many used EF lens that work with it if I need them.   I was able to sell my other cameras, but an 'expensive' R5 and I still had a lot of money left over.    I sold my lenses, some duplicates (a couple kit lenses needed for each extra body), and I have even more left over.

I kept a 70-200 EF lens, bought a 24-105, and ordered an 85 macro.   That is enough for me instead of the 7 or 8 lenses I had before.

And I can still do more that I could before and I have the one body that felt the best in my hands.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads