Sony A7Rii and Sony/Zeiss 35mm F2.8 v Fuji X100V

Started Oct 27, 2020 | Discussions
The Davinator
The Davinator Forum Pro • Posts: 24,707
Re: Sony A7Rii and Sony/Zeiss 35mm F2.8 v Fuji X100V

blank_ wrote:

drmarkf wrote:

I’ve been on 6 pro-led street photography workshops in various countries since 2015, and I can only recall 2 attendees (other than me) with full frame Sonys (and I only use mine for low light & night street shooting). Everyone else was using m4/3 or APSC during the day (especially Fuji and Ricoh, with a handful of A6xxx bodies).

Probably some Leica monochroms too

I use single AF or zone focus with the 35 cz and never felt limited by the a7 with this lens. I'd say it focuses faster and more silent than ricoh gr3 and gr2. The silent shutter may be something to consider though, but it may not be the priority for the OP.

Silent shutter is nice.  I know when I photograph in some of the back alleys in Tokyo and Hong Kong, the click of a shutter can draw attention.  I find the small size camera that can be silent to be a nice option.  The OP needs to look at the type of work most common and the output media the work will be viewed at. 
I don’t see too many Leicas on the street.  In Asia, lots of Ricoh, Fuji and Olympus for people wandering the streets photographing.  Seeing large FF is actually very rare.

david8732 Regular Member • Posts: 303
Re: Sony A7Rii and Sony/Zeiss 35mm F2.8 v Fuji X100V
2

Forget the A7Rii

Get yourself an A7iii and the Samsung 35 f2.8. It’s razor sharp and the same size as the Zeiss but half the price.

SafariBob
SafariBob Senior Member • Posts: 2,622
Re: Sony A7Rii and Sony/Zeiss 35mm F2.8 v Fuji X100V
1

david8732 wrote:

Forget the A7Rii

Get yourself an A7iii and the Samsung 35 f2.8. It’s razor sharp and the same size as the Zeiss but half the price.

I’d consider the a7c instead, and maybe the 35 1.8s, for the 2.8s I would rather get a used Zeiss than the samyang. Some sample variation though so caveat emptor

 SafariBob's gear list:SafariBob's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony a7R II Sony a7R IV Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +3 more
keolisho56 Contributing Member • Posts: 958
Re: Sony A7Rii and Sony/Zeiss 35mm F2.8 v Fuji X100V
9

Higher pixels count for landscape detail photography; so Sony A7R3 with 35mm f2,8 Zeiss used for those occasions. My Fujifilm lenses come into their own realm for colour and mood. All depends what size enlargements. Personally A7R2 to be avoided because of the battery life way below par. Buy A7R3...exceeding all expectations.

david8732 Regular Member • Posts: 303
Re: Sony A7Rii and Sony/Zeiss 35mm F2.8 v Fuji X100V
1

SafariBob wrote:

david8732 wrote:

Forget the A7Rii

Get yourself an A7iii and the Samsung 35 f2.8. It’s razor sharp and the same size as the Zeiss but half the price.

I’d consider the a7c instead, and maybe the 35 1.8s, for the 2.8s I would rather get a used Zeiss than the samyang. Some sample variation though so caveat emptor

The side hinged pull out screen on the A7C will drive you bananas. You may think you want one but when you use it and you try and work quickly and conspicuously you’ll be tearing your hair out.

SafariBob
SafariBob Senior Member • Posts: 2,622
Re: Sony A7Rii and Sony/Zeiss 35mm F2.8 v Fuji X100V
2

david8732 wrote:

SafariBob wrote:

david8732 wrote:

Forget the A7Rii

Get yourself an A7iii and the Samsung 35 f2.8. It’s razor sharp and the same size as the Zeiss but half the price.

I’d consider the a7c instead, and maybe the 35 1.8s, for the 2.8s I would rather get a used Zeiss than the samyang. Some sample variation though so caveat emptor

The side hinged pull out screen on the A7C will drive you bananas. You may think you want one but when you use it and you try and work quickly and conspicuously you’ll be tearing your hair out.

I rarely tear my hair out on the basis of camera ergonomics. I also don’t try to take photos inconspicuously. I am already bananas, so that is covered

 SafariBob's gear list:SafariBob's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony a7R II Sony a7R IV Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +3 more
blank_ Regular Member • Posts: 468
Re: Sony A7Rii and Sony/Zeiss 35mm F2.8 v Fuji X100V

Andy873 wrote:

adam10 wrote:

I recently posted a thread comparing the Fuji X100V with the Sony A7R ii with the Loxia 35mm. A huge thank you for your kind feed back. After much deliberation I think autofocus combined with manual focus would suite me better hence much interest in the Sony/Zeiss 35mm F2.8 ( Like its small size )

I have some more questions , if you would be so kind as to answer. I do appreciate it.

I am very keen on purchasing a used Sony A7Rii with the Sony/Zeiss 35mm F2.8. I like the look of the small combination. I had considered previously a Fuji X100V.

  • The Fuji X100V lens has an excellent reputation with edge to edge sharpness. The Sony/Zeiss 35mm F2.8 has a good reputation albeit that it is softer towards the edges / corners of the frame. The A7Rii obviously has a much larger M/P count ( 42mp compared to 26mp of the Fuji ) Despite the X100V lens being sharper Is the Sony A7Rii and Sony/Zeiss 35mm F2.8 lens going to produce a sharper / more detailed into the corner / edge print ( say 30” X 20 “ ) than the Fuji X100V ? I realise that the full frame advantage will possibly show better DR, colours etc etc !

Thank you for reading this.

Many thanks.

Adam.

I have used all of these.

The zeiss 35/2.8 is a terrible lens for the price, it isn't sharp and isn't even as sharp as the X100V lens. Even the much cheaper Samyang 35mm f/2.8 is sharper.

However Fuji's party trick filter array makes the sharpness not great at the sensor level, on top of the reduced sensor size and pixel count. So if you want an f/8 shootout the Sony should win. But wide open, you might find the fuji winning.

I may be too easily pleased or I got a great sample, but I'd call this lens pretty sharp.

 blank_'s gear list:blank_'s gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Sony a7 Nikon 1 J5 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 6.7-13mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 +5 more
PWPhotography Forum Pro • Posts: 11,156
Re: Sony A7Rii and Sony/Zeiss 35mm F2.8 v Fuji X100V
2

basleigh wrote:

Higher pixels count for landscape detail photography; so Sony A7R3 with 35mm f2,8 Zeiss used for those occasions.

Mainly much larger FF sensor that is a bigger factor than amount of pixels. Otherwise one of my cellphones (Android based) has 48mp that is sharper than X100V or A7r II?

My Fujifilm lenses come into their own realm for colour and mood.

Colors are personal subjective. Personally I am not that impressed by X-trans color that has clear pink tint. For skin tone I more prefer Canon's but Sony is not bad and portrait is not my main area. In landscape however I prefer Sony's richer and punchy colors over Canon's. Not sure what's 'mood'? LOL.

All depends what size enlargements. Personally A7R2 to be avoided because of the battery life way below par. Buy A7R3...exceeding all expectations.

I have owned A7r, A7 II and A7r II that all use the same battery. I used to carry 6 batteries into trips. But I agree the newer battery in Sony latest models is fantastic. Two Z batteries is sufficient in entire day usage. That's why I suggested OP should also consider A7c that has basically the same size/weight of X100V (thicker however) but with FF IQ if 24mp is sufficient to OP.

 PWPhotography's gear list:PWPhotography's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Sony a7R IV Sony a1 Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +15 more
PWPhotography Forum Pro • Posts: 11,156
Re: Sony A7Rii and Sony/Zeiss 35mm F2.8 v Fuji X100V
3

Andy873 wrote:

adam10 wrote:

I recently posted a thread comparing the Fuji X100V with the Sony A7R ii with the Loxia 35mm. A huge thank you for your kind feed back. After much deliberation I think autofocus combined with manual focus would suite me better hence much interest in the Sony/Zeiss 35mm F2.8 ( Like its small size )

I have some more questions , if you would be so kind as to answer. I do appreciate it.

I am very keen on purchasing a used Sony A7Rii with the Sony/Zeiss 35mm F2.8. I like the look of the small combination. I had considered previously a Fuji X100V.

  • The Fuji X100V lens has an excellent reputation with edge to edge sharpness. The Sony/Zeiss 35mm F2.8 has a good reputation albeit that it is softer towards the edges / corners of the frame. The A7Rii obviously has a much larger M/P count ( 42mp compared to 26mp of the Fuji ) Despite the X100V lens being sharper Is the Sony A7Rii and Sony/Zeiss 35mm F2.8 lens going to produce a sharper / more detailed into the corner / edge print ( say 30” X 20 “ ) than the Fuji X100V ? I realise that the full frame advantage will possibly show better DR, colours etc etc !

Thank you for reading this.

Many thanks.

Adam.

I have used all of these.

The zeiss 35/2.8 is a terrible lens for the price, it isn't sharp and isn't even as sharp as the X100V lens. Even the much cheaper Samyang 35mm f/2.8 is sharper.

LOL. Can you post a full size (only 26mp) from X100V as I did from 42mp A7r II + 35/2.8 ZA? Posted again here. You can stop down to whatever you wanted I can tell you at such 42mp size (imagining to enlarge 26mp to 42mp, hehe), not even close.

However Fuji's party trick filter array makes the sharpness not great at the sensor level, on top of the reduced sensor size and pixel count. So if you want an f/8 shootout the Sony should win. But wide open, you might find the fuji winning.

Oh, now having an excuse You really cannot deny sensor size factor that FF sensor is much bigger than APS-C. So frequently even a theoretically inferior FF lens on FF sensor is still sharper than a 'superior' APS-C lens on APS-C sensor. That's call 'magnification' factor, the same as digital cropping.

Here is FE 35/2.8 ZA @f2.8 wide open on A7r II, full size. Can you post X100V @f2.0 wide open (that is eq to FF @f3.0) at 26mp full size?

very wide hotel building, @f2.8 wide open, full size. Edit: re-posted this true full 42mp size sample at my standard lens test site.

As I said this lens is not among the sharpest prime lenses below 50mm FL but still sharper than APS-C ff eq 35mm AOV lenses because of much larger FF sensor that enlarged pixels much less. I replaced the lens with Loxia 35/2.0 that in turn replaced by Voigtlander FE 40/1.2 Nokton, not only much faster in aperture but even sharper with fantastic sunstar.

Here are 3 more real-world samples from this FE 35/2.8 ZA. Sure in landscape/cityscape you stop down usually. Show us your stop-down full size samples from X100V?

Prague, Czech Republic. 100% cropped or full size

Prague, Czech Republic from the Charles Bridge. 100% cropped or full size

Salzburg, Austria

 PWPhotography's gear list:PWPhotography's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Sony a7R IV Sony a1 Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +15 more
Andy873 Regular Member • Posts: 460
Re: Sony A7Rii and Sony/Zeiss 35mm F2.8 v Fuji X100V
13

PWPhotography wrote:

Andy873 wrote:

adam10 wrote:

I recently posted a thread comparing the Fuji X100V with the Sony A7R ii with the Loxia 35mm. A huge thank you for your kind feed back. After much deliberation I think autofocus combined with manual focus would suite me better hence much interest in the Sony/Zeiss 35mm F2.8 ( Like its small size )

I have some more questions , if you would be so kind as to answer. I do appreciate it.

I am very keen on purchasing a used Sony A7Rii with the Sony/Zeiss 35mm F2.8. I like the look of the small combination. I had considered previously a Fuji X100V.

  • The Fuji X100V lens has an excellent reputation with edge to edge sharpness. The Sony/Zeiss 35mm F2.8 has a good reputation albeit that it is softer towards the edges / corners of the frame. The A7Rii obviously has a much larger M/P count ( 42mp compared to 26mp of the Fuji ) Despite the X100V lens being sharper Is the Sony A7Rii and Sony/Zeiss 35mm F2.8 lens going to produce a sharper / more detailed into the corner / edge print ( say 30” X 20 “ ) than the Fuji X100V ? I realise that the full frame advantage will possibly show better DR, colours etc etc !

Thank you for reading this.

Many thanks.

Adam.

I have used all of these.

The zeiss 35/2.8 is a terrible lens for the price, it isn't sharp and isn't even as sharp as the X100V lens. Even the much cheaper Samyang 35mm f/2.8 is sharper.

LOL. Can you post a full size (only 26mp) from X100V as I did from 42mp A7r II + 35/2.8 ZA? Posted again here. You can stop down to whatever you wanted I can tell you at such 42mp size (imagining to enlarge 26mp to 42mp, hehe), not even close.

No, because I've upgraded to A7RIV, sold the lens, and packed up the X100V for sale.

However Fuji's party trick filter array makes the sharpness not great at the sensor level, on top of the reduced sensor size and pixel count. So if you want an f/8 shootout the Sony should win. But wide open, you might find the fuji winning.

Oh, now having an excuse You really cannot deny sensor size factor that FF sensor is much bigger than APS-C. So frequently even a theoretically inferior FF lens on FF sensor is still sharper than a 'superior' APS-C lens on APS-C sensor. That's call 'magnification' factor, the same as digital cropping.

what excuse? when did I deny anything? You sound like you're butt hurt, just chill man, I shoot Sony.

Here is FE 35/2.8 ZA @f2.8 wide open on A7r II, full size. Can you post X100V @f2.0 wide open (that is eq to FF @f3.0) at 26mp full size?

Err it's equivalent to f/2.8

As I said this lens is not among the sharpest prime lenses below 50mm FL but still sharper than APS-C ff eq 35mm AOV lenses because of much larger FF sensor that enlarged pixels much less. I replaced the lens with Loxia 35/2.0 that in turn replaced by Voigtlander FE 40/1.2 Nokton, not only much faster in aperture but even sharper with fantastic sunstar.

Looks like you have a particular love for unsharp lenses...

Here are 3 more real-world samples from this FE 35/2.8 ZA. Sure in landscape/cityscape you stop down usually. Show us your stop-down full size samples from X100V?

Saying a lens is sharp stopped down is like saying a car is fast and performant in school zones.

BTW sample photos mean nothing, any half decent lenses will take almost the same sample photos at the same location, especially when stopped down. I could've taken those same photos with the kit lens. I have better things to do than try to spot tiny pixel level differences at 100% zoom.

PWPhotography Forum Pro • Posts: 11,156
Re: Sony A7Rii and Sony/Zeiss 35mm F2.8 v Fuji X100V
2

Andy873 wrote:

PWPhotography wrote:

Andy873 wrote:

adam10 wrote:

I recently posted a thread comparing the Fuji X100V with the Sony A7R ii with the Loxia 35mm. A huge thank you for your kind feed back. After much deliberation I think autofocus combined with manual focus would suite me better hence much interest in the Sony/Zeiss 35mm F2.8 ( Like its small size )

I have some more questions , if you would be so kind as to answer. I do appreciate it.

I am very keen on purchasing a used Sony A7Rii with the Sony/Zeiss 35mm F2.8. I like the look of the small combination. I had considered previously a Fuji X100V.

  • The Fuji X100V lens has an excellent reputation with edge to edge sharpness. The Sony/Zeiss 35mm F2.8 has a good reputation albeit that it is softer towards the edges / corners of the frame. The A7Rii obviously has a much larger M/P count ( 42mp compared to 26mp of the Fuji ) Despite the X100V lens being sharper Is the Sony A7Rii and Sony/Zeiss 35mm F2.8 lens going to produce a sharper / more detailed into the corner / edge print ( say 30” X 20 “ ) than the Fuji X100V ? I realise that the full frame advantage will possibly show better DR, colours etc etc !

Thank you for reading this.

Many thanks.

Adam.

I have used all of these.

The zeiss 35/2.8 is a terrible lens for the price, it isn't sharp and isn't even as sharp as the X100V lens. Even the much cheaper Samyang 35mm f/2.8 is sharper.

LOL. Can you post a full size (only 26mp) from X100V as I did from 42mp A7r II + 35/2.8 ZA? Posted again here. You can stop down to whatever you wanted I can tell you at such 42mp size (imagining to enlarge 26mp to 42mp, hehe), not even close.

No, because I've upgraded to A7RIV, sold the lens, and packed up the X100V for sale.

So you never took photos from your lovely X100V? Nothing can share to support your claim that its built-in lens is 'shaper' than FE 35/2.8 ZA? Making claim is easy and free but much harder to support your claim with tangible photos, that I never lack of

However Fuji's party trick filter array makes the sharpness not great at the sensor level, on top of the reduced sensor size and pixel count. So if you want an f/8 shootout the Sony should win. But wide open, you might find the fuji winning.

Oh, now having an excuse You really cannot deny sensor size factor that FF sensor is much bigger than APS-C. So frequently even a theoretically inferior FF lens on FF sensor is still sharper than a 'superior' APS-C lens on APS-C sensor. That's call 'magnification' factor, the same as digital cropping.

what excuse? when did I deny anything? You sound like you're butt hurt, just chill man, I shoot Sony.

You fail to understand crop factor. Smaller sensor, larger penalty in IQ. You need to understand what is 'magnification' or 'enlargement' factor. Otherwise as I said my 48mp cellphone camera is much 'sharper' than your pity 26mp X100V

Here is FE 35/2.8 ZA @f2.8 wide open on A7r II, full size. Can you post X100V @f2.0 wide open (that is eq to FF @f3.0) at 26mp full size?

Err it's equivalent to f/2.8

Do a simple math, 2.0x1.5=3 not 2.8

As I said this lens is not among the sharpest prime lenses below 50mm FL but still sharper than APS-C ff eq 35mm AOV lenses because of much larger FF sensor that enlarged pixels much less. I replaced the lens with Loxia 35/2.0 that in turn replaced by Voigtlander FE 40/1.2 Nokton, not only much faster in aperture but even sharper with fantastic sunstar.

Looks like you have a particular love for unsharp lenses...

Gee, you have no ideas. But still as I saId theoretical 'inferior' lens on FF sensor is still sharper than 'superior' lens on APS-C sensor as an entire system. DXO lens+sensor tests proved this very well. Aha, magnification factor, remember that.

Guess you have no idea what you are talking about

Voigtlander FE 40/1.2 Nokton @f1.2 wide open on 61mp A7r IV, full size

Voigtlander FE 40/1.2 Nokton @f1.2 wide open on 61mp A7r IV, full size

Do you have such FF f1.2 Fuji lenses, that would eq to F0.8 on APS-C? LOL How sharp of the lens even @f1.2 wide open in focus area, the other areas are out of focus plane.

BTW, I do have some even sharper prime lenses - Voigtlander FE 21/1.4 Nokton, Voigtlander FE 65/2.0 APO-Lanthar, Loxia 85/2.4 and Sony 135/1.8 GM, razor sharp. I am sure Sigma FE 35/1.2 Art will be sharper than this CV 40/1.2 Nokon @1.2 but too big/heavy to carry into trips. Then CV 40/1.2 has more pleasing sunstar that doesn't even need to stop down much and after stop down in landscape, the sharpness is very close and not that noticeable. In addition I prefer 40mm over 35mm FL in landscape/cityscape.

Here are 3 more real-world samples from this FE 35/2.8 ZA. Sure in landscape/cityscape you stop down usually. Show us your stop-down full size samples from X100V?

Saying a lens is sharp stopped down is like saying a car is fast and performant in school zones.

I posted FE 35/2.8 ZA @f2.8 wide open in 42mp full size above that is still pretty sharp. Where are your X100V @f2.0 wide open at 26mp?

As I said talking is easy and free, but please backup your claim with substances - photos.

 PWPhotography's gear list:PWPhotography's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Sony a7R IV Sony a1 Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +15 more
theoverratedphotog
theoverratedphotog Senior Member • Posts: 1,184
Re: Sony A7Rii and Sony/Zeiss 35mm F2.8 v Fuji X100V
9

PWPhotography wrote:

42mp A7r II with such lens destroys 26mp APS-C X100V easily, not that close.

FE 35/2.8 ZA is actually not among the sharpest prime lenses on E-mount, but still be much sharper than APS-C X100V with the fixed prime. The reason is very clear that the much smaller APS-C sensor has to enlarge pixels much more to project to the same size of output which is the same as digital cropping. As a matter of fact, 61mp A7r IV in APS-C mode (as cropped to 1.5x AOV) = 26mp APS-C sensor in resolution (and entire IQ).

Sharpness is more to do with lens than MP. I don't think you can make  broad statement like this. A crap lens on a full-frame body is not better than a good lens on an APSC body.

I have both the X100V and the 35 f/2.8 although I have the A7riii not the A7rii. I'll do some tests this weekend.

 theoverratedphotog's gear list:theoverratedphotog's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Sony a7 III Sony a7R III Sigma 135mm F1.8 Art Sigma 70mm F2.8 DG Macro Art +11 more
david8732 Regular Member • Posts: 303
Re: Sony A7Rii and Sony/Zeiss 35mm F2.8 v Fuji X100V
1

SafariBob wrote:

david8732 wrote:

SafariBob wrote:

david8732 wrote:

Forget the A7Rii

Get yourself an A7iii and the Samsung 35 f2.8. It’s razor sharp and the same size as the Zeiss but half the price.

I’d consider the a7c instead, and maybe the 35 1.8s, for the 2.8s I would rather get a used Zeiss than the samyang. Some sample variation though so caveat emptor

The side hinged pull out screen on the A7C will drive you bananas. You may think you want one but when you use it and you try and work quickly and conspicuously you’ll be tearing your hair out.

I rarely tear my hair out on the basis of camera ergonomics. I also don’t try to take photos inconspicuously. I am already bananas, so that is covered

Mmm... just you wait and see

keolisho56 Contributing Member • Posts: 958
Re: Sony A7Rii and Sony/Zeiss 35mm F2.8 v Fuji X100V
4

By "mood" how to describe Fujifilm colours like Velvia (as if you were there) with rich colours; somewhat old fashioned character style. Fujifilm capturing the subtlety of the ambient light; not by pushing contrast as applied by Japanese companies in the past.

For purity of colours nothing surpassed my old Leica M6 35mm Summicron; even compared to Contax RTS 2. Every camera manufacturer set their own colour style.

Sony A7R3 compared to A7 shows a pattern of improved colour development.

Example: You can spot CANON Red a mile away.

The Davinator
The Davinator Forum Pro • Posts: 24,707
Re: Sony A7Rii and Sony/Zeiss 35mm F2.8 v Fuji X100V
7

theoverratedphotog wrote:

PWPhotography wrote:

42mp A7r II with such lens destroys 26mp APS-C X100V easily, not that close.

FE 35/2.8 ZA is actually not among the sharpest prime lenses on E-mount, but still be much sharper than APS-C X100V with the fixed prime. The reason is very clear that the much smaller APS-C sensor has to enlarge pixels much more to project to the same size of output which is the same as digital cropping. As a matter of fact, 61mp A7r IV in APS-C mode (as cropped to 1.5x AOV) = 26mp APS-C sensor in resolution (and entire IQ).

Sharpness is more to do with lens than MP. I don't think you can make broad statement like this. A crap lens on a full-frame body is not better than a good lens on an APSC body.

I have both the X100V and the 35 f/2.8 although I have the A7riii not the A7rii. I'll do some tests this weekend.

I think it is also important to not use default settings in Lightroom to work with raws. There has been some misinformation in this thread about XTrans, etc, along with iso and such. I’d like to see what your samples look like. I’ve been using the X100T...but have been considering the V.

And yes, sharpness is more to do with the lens.  Resolution is what it impacted by MP.  Common error it seems.

PWPhotography Forum Pro • Posts: 11,156
Re: Sony A7Rii and Sony/Zeiss 35mm F2.8 v Fuji X100V
1

theoverratedphotog wrote:

PWPhotography wrote:

42mp A7r II with such lens destroys 26mp APS-C X100V easily, not that close.

FE 35/2.8 ZA is actually not among the sharpest prime lenses on E-mount, but still be much sharper than APS-C X100V with the fixed prime. The reason is very clear that the much smaller APS-C sensor has to enlarge pixels much more to project to the same size of output which is the same as digital cropping. As a matter of fact, 61mp A7r IV in APS-C mode (as cropped to 1.5x AOV) = 26mp APS-C sensor in resolution (and entire IQ).

Sharpness is more to do with lens than MP. I don't think you can make broad statement like this. A crap lens on a full-frame body is not better than a good lens on an APSC body.

That is misunderstanding by many including you. Sensor is the key part in the system sharpness. Bear in mind, neither lens alone nor senor can take photos but lens+sensor as a system. DXO lens+sensor tests proved what I said. Smaller APS-C sensor has to enlarge pixels much more that is the same as cropping that soften a photo in large degree.  Otherwise some lenses on mFT, 1" or cellphone are excellent, as good as on APS-C in some eq FL lenses.

I have both the X100V and the 35 f/2.8 although I have the A7riii not the A7rii. I'll do some tests this weekend.

Waiting to see. Suggest on a concrete building as the sample I demo'ed and compared at the same size, ideally enlarge 26mp from X100V to the same 42mp as on A7r III/II

 PWPhotography's gear list:PWPhotography's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Sony a7R IV Sony a1 Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +15 more
PWPhotography Forum Pro • Posts: 11,156
Re: Sony A7Rii and Sony/Zeiss 35mm F2.8 v Fuji X100V
1

basleigh wrote:

By "mood" how to describe Fujifilm colours like Velvia (as if you were there) with rich colours; somewhat old fashioned character style. Fujifilm capturing the subtlety of the ambient light; not by pushing contrast as applied by Japanese companies in the past.

You meant if you shoot JPEGs? If you only shoot RAW as I do, then irrelevant. There are many plug-in for Lr or Ps that can mimic whatever film look. Then again colors is personal subjective. To be honest I never impressed by Fuji x-tran colors with obvious pink cast. As I said I like Canon skin tone and Sony landscape colors.  Fuji MF cameras with Bayer sensors are in complete different story.

For purity of colours nothing surpassed my old Leica M6 35mm Summicron; even compared to Contax RTS 2. Every camera manufacturer set their own colour style.

That is well debated and exhausted in color myth

Sony A7R3 compared to A7 shows a pattern of improved colour development.

Yes agreed.

Example: You can spot CANON Red a mile away.

This is subjective and arguable. I can tell Canon red is different from others from 10-year Canon FF ownership, lol

 PWPhotography's gear list:PWPhotography's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Sony a7R IV Sony a1 Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +15 more
OP adam10 Regular Member • Posts: 396
Re: Sony A7Rii and Sony/Zeiss 35mm F2.8 v Fuji X100V
1

PWPhotography wrote:

Andy873 wrote:

adam10 wrote:

I recently posted a thread comparing the Fuji X100V with the Sony A7R ii with the Loxia 35mm. A huge thank you for your kind feed back. After much deliberation I think autofocus combined with manual focus would suite me better hence much interest in the Sony/Zeiss 35mm F2.8 ( Like its small size )

I have some more questions , if you would be so kind as to answer. I do appreciate it.

I am very keen on purchasing a used Sony A7Rii with the Sony/Zeiss 35mm F2.8. I like the look of the small combination. I had considered previously a Fuji X100V.

  • The Fuji X100V lens has an excellent reputation with edge to edge sharpness. The Sony/Zeiss 35mm F2.8 has a good reputation albeit that it is softer towards the edges / corners of the frame. The A7Rii obviously has a much larger M/P count ( 42mp compared to 26mp of the Fuji ) Despite the X100V lens being sharper Is the Sony A7Rii and Sony/Zeiss 35mm F2.8 lens going to produce a sharper / more detailed into the corner / edge print ( say 30” X 20 “ ) than the Fuji X100V ? I realise that the full frame advantage will possibly show better DR, colours etc etc !

Thank you for reading this.

Many thanks.

Adam.

I have used all of these.

The zeiss 35/2.8 is a terrible lens for the price, it isn't sharp and isn't even as sharp as the X100V lens. Even the much cheaper Samyang 35mm f/2.8 is sharper.

LOL. Can you post a full size (only 26mp) from X100V as I did from 42mp A7r II + 35/2.8 ZA? Posted again here. You can stop down to whatever you wanted I can tell you at such 42mp size (imagining to enlarge 26mp to 42mp, hehe), not even close.

However Fuji's party trick filter array makes the sharpness not great at the sensor level, on top of the reduced sensor size and pixel count. So if you want an f/8 shootout the Sony should win. But wide open, you might find the fuji winning.

Oh, now having an excuse You really cannot deny sensor size factor that FF sensor is much bigger than APS-C. So frequently even a theoretically inferior FF lens on FF sensor is still sharper than a 'superior' APS-C lens on APS-C sensor. That's call 'magnification' factor, the same as digital cropping.

Here is FE 35/2.8 ZA @f2.8 wide open on A7r II, full size. Can you post X100V @f2.0 wide open (that is eq to FF @f3.0) at 26mp full size?

very wide hotel building, @f2.8 wide open, full size. Edit: re-posted this true full 42mp size sample at my standard lens test site.

As I said this lens is not among the sharpest prime lenses below 50mm FL but still sharper than APS-C ff eq 35mm AOV lenses because of much larger FF sensor that enlarged pixels much less. I replaced the lens with Loxia 35/2.0 that in turn replaced by Voigtlander FE 40/1.2 Nokton, not only much faster in aperture but even sharper with fantastic sunstar.

Here are 3 more real-world samples from this FE 35/2.8 ZA. Sure in landscape/cityscape you stop down usually. Show us your stop-down full size samples from X100V?

Prague, Czech Republic. 100% cropped or full size

Prague, Czech Republic from the Charles Bridge. 100% cropped or full size

Salzburg, Austria

Thank you to everybody who has contributed thus far.  Got to say PWPhotography that I like your images.  That look great in my opinion in LR5 at 2-1.  Thanks again.  Adam

SafariBob
SafariBob Senior Member • Posts: 2,622
Re: Sony A7Rii and Sony/Zeiss 35mm F2.8 v Fuji X100V
1

PWPhotography wrote:

basleigh wrote:

By "mood" how to describe Fujifilm colours like Velvia (as if you were there) with rich colours; somewhat old fashioned character style. Fujifilm capturing the subtlety of the ambient light; not by pushing contrast as applied by Japanese companies in the past.

You meant if you shoot JPEGs? If you only shoot RAW as I do, then irrelevant. There are many plug-in for Lr or Ps that can mimic whatever film look. Then again colors is personal subjective. To be honest I never impressed by Fuji x-tran colors with obvious pink cast. As I said I like Canon skin tone and Sony landscape colors. Fuji MF cameras with Bayer sensors are in complete different story.

For purity of colours nothing surpassed my old Leica M6 35mm Summicron; even compared to Contax RTS 2. Every camera manufacturer set their own colour style.

That is well debated and exhausted in color myth

Sony A7R3 compared to A7 shows a pattern of improved colour development.

Yes agreed.

Example: You can spot CANON Red a mile away.

This is subjective and arguable. I can tell Canon red is different from others from 10-year Canon FF ownership, lolaaa

I don’t think Fuji colors are generally better, but I do think they provide more film simulation or style modes that are sometimes interesting to use. And I would say they are better than the majority of what you get in raw developers. It’s also nice to do some edits in camera from time to time.

I have actually come to enjoy just transferring images to iPhone and do some quick edits there, until I got capture one, I actually thought they tended to come out better than the majority of time i used lightroom

 SafariBob's gear list:SafariBob's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony a7R II Sony a7R IV Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +3 more
theoverratedphotog
theoverratedphotog Senior Member • Posts: 1,184
Re: Sony A7Rii and Sony/Zeiss 35mm F2.8 v Fuji X100V
3

PWPhotography wrote:

theoverratedphotog wrote:

PWPhotography wrote:

42mp A7r II with such lens destroys 26mp APS-C X100V easily, not that close.

FE 35/2.8 ZA is actually not among the sharpest prime lenses on E-mount, but still be much sharper than APS-C X100V with the fixed prime. The reason is very clear that the much smaller APS-C sensor has to enlarge pixels much more to project to the same size of output which is the same as digital cropping. As a matter of fact, 61mp A7r IV in APS-C mode (as cropped to 1.5x AOV) = 26mp APS-C sensor in resolution (and entire IQ).

Sharpness is more to do with lens than MP. I don't think you can make broad statement like this. A crap lens on a full-frame body is not better than a good lens on an APSC body.

That is misunderstanding by many including you. Sensor is the key part in the system sharpness. Bear in mind, neither lens alone nor senor can take photos but lens+sensor as a system. DXO lens+sensor tests proved what I said. Smaller APS-C sensor has to enlarge pixels much more that is the same as cropping that soften a photo in large degree. Otherwise some lenses on mFT, 1" or cellphone are excellent, as good as on APS-C in some eq FL lenses.

I have both the X100V and the 35 f/2.8 although I have the A7riii not the A7rii. I'll do some tests this weekend.

Waiting to see. Suggest on a concrete building as the sample I demo'ed and compared at the same size, ideally enlarge 26mp from X100V to the same 42mp as on A7r III/II

In theory, what you are saying is correct, but the impact is so small in the overall equation that it is negligible. Lens quality, ISO etc would have much bigger impacts. Looking at a 24MP on both APSC and full-frame with the same equivalent focal length and aperture, the images are almost indistinguishable.

Put a 56 f/1.2 on an APSC and the Sony 85mm f/1.8 and you'd be hard-pressed to identify the difference between the two. The test I saw with the Fuji 50-140 and the Canon 70-200 f/4 showed the Fuji was sharper which disproves exactly what you were saying.

https://www.instagram.com/theoverratedphotographer/
https://www.theoverratedphotographer.com/

 theoverratedphotog's gear list:theoverratedphotog's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Sony a7 III Sony a7R III Sigma 135mm F1.8 Art Sigma 70mm F2.8 DG Macro Art +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads