Turkey Vultures on my neighbors roof RX10iv

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 47,988
Turkey Vultures on my neighbors roof RX10iv

-- hide signature --

Tom

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +7 more
Digital Shutterbug Veteran Member • Posts: 5,063
Re: Turkey Vultures on my neighbors roof RX10iv

A beautiful bird strutting his stuff, huh? Kind of reminds you of a peacock. 

-- hide signature --

Steve

AlwynS Senior Member • Posts: 3,589

This is great to see: well done. While nobody could ever accuse Turkey Vultures of being excessively pretty, I do find them very interesting.

And the one on the right seems to be channeling his inner Cormorant!

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Alwyn

AlwynS's gear list:AlwynS's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P610 Sony RX10 IV
Rodger1943
Rodger1943 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,744

Excellent shot, Tom and a great showing of the underwing details in the bird on the right.

-- hide signature --

Panasonic FZ1000 FZ200 Sony RX10 iv

Rodger1943's gear list:Rodger1943's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic FZ1000 Sony RX10 IV +2 more
Stephen McDonald
Stephen McDonald Forum Pro • Posts: 14,274

Nice shot. Have you checked on the welfare of your neighbor lately?

-- hide signature --
 Stephen McDonald's gear list:Stephen McDonald's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 950 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V +1 more
tbcass
OP tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 47,988

AlwynS wrote:

This is great to see: well done. While nobody could ever accuse Turkey Vultures of being excessively pretty, I do find them very interesting.

And the one on the right seems to be channeling his inner Cormorant!

It was a hot day. They do that often to cool themselves. Turkey Vultures are timid birds so I was glad to have them get close enough for a good shot.

-- hide signature --

Tom

Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +7 more
tbcass

Stephen McDonald wrote:

Nice shot. Have you checked on the welfare of your neighbor lately?

LOL. These birds are very common and I often see them soaring overhead catching the thermals. Here's one I took with my trusty old RX100 back in 2014.

-- hide signature --

Tom

Ab S
Ab S Regular Member • Posts: 246

..although the shot is very nice I still don't like the bokeh (unsharpness) of the RX10 series, in particular near max tele. Look at the 'structure' of the leaves at the right side of the picture. I have the same with my RX10 at 200 mm equivalent (max tele); but it seems getting better at less telephoto or a bit smaller aperture (f/2.8 -> f/4.0 for the RX10). I don't know what makes this 'unpleasantly' looking bokeh and waht to do a bout it..

-- hide signature --

Ab S

Ab S's gear list:Ab S's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10
tbcass

Ab S wrote:

..although the shot is very nice I still don't like the bokeh (unsharpness) of the RX10 series, in particular near max tele. Look at the 'structure' of the leaves at the right side of the picture. I have the same with my RX10 at 200 mm equivalent (max tele); but it seems getting better at less telephoto or a bit smaller aperture (f/2.8 -> f/4.0 for the RX10). I don't know what makes this 'unpleasantly' looking bokeh and waht to do a bout it..

The RX10iv suffers from what all long zooms do, unattractive Bokeh. That said Bokeh isn't an important issue with me so I don't care. I am willing to put up with it for the convenience of having 24-600mm on a 1" sensor camera. People for whom Bokeh is an important issue should use large sensor cameras with fast primes or fast shorter range zooms. Here's a shot from my FF camera with a 24-105 F4 zoom. Much nicer Bokeh but the shallow DOF means less of the flower is in focus. There are always compromises.

-- hide signature --

Tom

aerorail Contributing Member • Posts: 895

must be a dead zone...

aerorail's gear list:aerorail's gear list
Sony RX100 III
adk38 Senior Member • Posts: 1,271

Ab S wrote:

More distance from subject to background will do. Not easy in this case.

adk38's gear list:adk38's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D7200 Nikon D500 Sony a6600 +9 more
tbcass

adk38 wrote:

Ab S wrote:

..although the shot is very nice I still don't like the bokeh (unsharpness) of the RX10 series, in particular near max tele. Look at the 'structure' of the leaves at the right side of the picture. I have the same with my RX10 at 200 mm equivalent (max tele); but it seems getting better at less telephoto or a bit smaller aperture (f/2.8 -> f/4.0 for the RX10). I don't know what makes this 'unpleasantly' looking bokeh and waht to do about it..

More distance from subject to background will do. Not easy in this case.

Not possible in this case!!

-- hide signature --

Tom

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads