Keys for choosing a zoom lens for Fujifilm.

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Edwin Barreto New Member • Posts: 16
Keys for choosing a zoom lens for Fujifilm.

Hi friends, I am having trouble choosing a lens as the xt4 is my new camera. I am looking to get a zoom lens with wide angle capabilities. Using it for portrait and landscape photography. Any recommendations?
I also noticed a YouTube video about this lens and think it's funny.
https://youtu.be/bHJG_uy4a-0
https://www.pergear.com/collections/pergear-lens/products/pergear-7-5mm-f2-8-fish-eye-manual-focus-fixed-lens

JayPhizzt Senior Member • Posts: 1,843
Re: Keys for choosing a zoom lens for Fujifilm.

Edwin Barreto wrote:

Hi friends, I am having trouble choosing a lens as the xt4 is my new camera. I am looking to get a zoom lens with wide angle capabilities. Using it for portrait and landscape photography. Any recommendations?
I also noticed a YouTube video about this lens and think it's funny.
https://youtu.be/bHJG_uy4a-0
https://www.pergear.com/collections/pergear-lens/products/pergear-7-5mm-f2-8-fish-eye-manual-focus-fixed-lens

Uhm, you seem to have linked to the wrong video..

When it comes to what lens you should go with I'd say the Fujinon 16-55/2.8 would be the best choice. It's got amazing image quality and it's great for landscape and OK for portraits.

JayPhizzt's gear list:JayPhizzt's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Fujifilm XF 80mm F2.8 Macro +1 more
a_c_skinner Forum Pro • Posts: 10,589

Fuji make several wide zooms.  They are all good.

You need to tell us a bit more about budget and any other lenses you have and preferences like size.

-- hide signature --

Andrew Skinner

a_c_skinner's gear list:a_c_skinner's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +5 more
BillCPA Regular Member • Posts: 324

One zoom lens for 'wide angle, portrait, and landscape' ?.... how wide do you want to go?  Portrait - do you care about bokeh....... not sure you'd be happy with just one zoom to address these requirements .... perhaps the 10-24 for wide and landscape, and pick up a prime for portraits (many options there... including the 50/2 or the new Viltrox 56/1.4).

BillCPA's gear list:BillCPA's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +6 more
Artur Darulewski Regular Member • Posts: 263

The most important question is how wide you want to go with one zoom lens.

Really wide ones are 8-16 (the most expensive one) and 10-24, but in my opinion it's not the best option for portraits.

I think XF 16-55 (called BRICK due to its weight and size) would be the best choice in terms of versatility and quality for wide landscapes and the portraits, especially if you have IBIS.

There are few XF 18-xxx zooms, but they're slower and have worse IQ than 16-55.

I have XF 10-24 and XF 18-55 and I'm quite happy with them, but for portraits I prefer XF 35/1.4 or... XF 55-200 on its long end (very nice bokeh when backround isn't too close to the subject).

If XF 16-55 is too expensive then you can try XF 16-80 (seen mixed opinions and didn't use it so far).

XF18-55 is a very nice versatile kit zoom, but not wide enough for me. Not the worst option for the portraits but good fast prime would be much better.

Personally I don't like cheap XC line lenses at all. They are reasonablE compromise between price and IQ, but lack of aperture ring and power zoom is unacceptable for me.

Is you want to have only one versatile zoom i think you should consider XF 16-55.

Cheers,

Artur

Artur Darulewski's gear list:Artur Darulewski's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
fujiian
fujiian Regular Member • Posts: 430

Edwin Barreto wrote:

Howdy partner! If 24mm FOV is wide enough, the 16-55 is excellent. It will do outstanding landscapes, portraits, and everything in between.

If you need wider, the 10-24. Mark II if you shoot outside or like seeing your selected aperture on the ring.

If you need cheaper, 16-80.

fujiian's gear list:fujiian's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR +4 more
MrSee
MrSee Senior Member • Posts: 1,717

Agree. 16-55 should do the trick!

-- hide signature --

Jim from Ontario Canada
Fuji X-H1
Fuji 18-55 2.8-4

MrSee's gear list:MrSee's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1
caesarb Contributing Member • Posts: 600

Hi.

The 16-55 has an amazing potential. Please kindly consider it. You would be getting a "bag of very good primes" with this lens.

I got 16-55 when it was on sale. Once I took sample shots with it, I have understood why so many people here had called it a "bag of primes." I really got four prime lenses in one. I have paired it with X-T2, and this is my go to kit now.

Please kindly check out the link below – for comparison between 16-55 and various primes, with full-size JPGs included. Comparing those sample images made me buy the 16-55. My own images taken with 16-55 have further confirmed the superb optical qualities of the lens.

https://www.prophotonut.com/2015/04/30/zoom-or-prime-lenses-for-portraits-with-fuji-x/

Also, just wanted to mention this... one can "test" various Fujinon lenses here:

http://fujifilmxmount.com/comparison/en/test-our-lenses/

Thank you and kindest regards.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads