28-35mm Prime choice for A7C?

Started 3 months ago | Questions
diablo2man New Member • Posts: 13
28-35mm Prime choice for A7C?

Hi everyone,

I finally decide to buy an A7C after years of relying on the iPhone for taking photos. Got the kit lens and a Sony 1.8/85 for portraits. Now I'm struggling with which or whether to buy a prime lens in the 28-35 range because one of the main usages will be taking unlimited photos of my newborn boy in a few weeks 85mm is probably too tight for this purpose

Sony 2.8/35 seems like a perfect prime for A7C due to size/look but I'm a bit worried about the performance indoor (although I would imagine the toddler doesn't move that much at least for the first year).

Sony 2/28 seems like a better lens vs 2.8/35 in most aspects but just slightly bulkier. Is there any reason I should choose 2.8/35 instead of this one?

Sony 1.8/35 also looks like a good one too but bulkier than above

Or maybe not buying a prime for this range and just use the kit lens to start?

Thanks in advance for your input!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
UBrot Regular Member • Posts: 116
Re: 28-35mm Prime choice for A7C?

My 2 cents:

I'd like a bright prime with at least f2, with a focal length around 35 (and under 50). Top contender would be Sony or Samyang 35 1.8 (Sony more expensive but better minimum focus distance) or maybe the Samyang 45 1.8 (smaller, lighter and cheaper) or the 40 f2 Batis (bulky but Zeiss).

A 35 f2.8 pancake like the Sony or Samyang (cheaper and even smaller and lighter with very good IQ) would be a good complement for outdoor photography.

UBrot's gear list:UBrot's gear list
Sony a7R II Tamron 20mm F2.8 Di III OSD
EarthQuake Veteran Member • Posts: 3,083

diablo2man wrote:

Hi everyone,

I finally decide to buy an A7C after years of relying on the iPhone for taking photos. Got the kit lens and a Sony 1.8/85 for portraits. Now I'm struggling with which or whether to buy a prime lens in the 28-35 range because one of the main usages will be taking unlimited photos of my newborn boy in a few weeks 85mm is probably too tight for this purpose

Sony 2.8/35 seems like a perfect prime for A7C due to size/look but I'm a bit worried about the performance indoor (although I would imagine the toddler doesn't move that much at least for the first year).

Sony 2/28 seems like a better lens vs 2.8/35 in most aspects but just slightly bulkier. Is there any reason I should choose 2.8/35 instead of this one?

The Sony 35/2.8 is a very expensive lens for what it is (slow-ish aperture, good but not exceptional image quality, doesn't focus very close, so-so AF). If you're interested in this one, look for a used copy, you can find them for closer to half off.

I haven't used the 28/2, it seems like a solid lens but some are a little disappointed in the image quality wide open. If you want a slightly wider lens, this would be a decent choice.

The 35/1.8 is a great lens, very fast and accurate AF, solid image quality even wide open, focuses fairly close, and has weather sealing and a focus hold button (that can be customized). Negatives for this one are the price, if you're in the US you can buy new from Canada for around $600 (800 CAD) rather than $750.

There's also the Samyang 35/2.8. This lens has similar specs and image quality to the Sony 35/2.8, is even smaller, and is more affordable. If you look for a used copy you can find them for $150-175. Build quality is worse than the Sony 35/2.8 though of course, but it's very lightweight.

Then there's the new Samyang 35/1.8. I haven't used it yet (not shipping in the US yet) but this one seems to be a good alternative to the Sony 35/1.8. Image quality looks good from reviews, it's a little smaller and lighter than the Sony, it also has weather sealing, and reportedly better build quality than some of Samyang's other lenses. Retail is $400. Negatives are that it doesn't focus quite as close (but closer than the 35/2.8s) and AF is probably not quite as good as the Sony 35/1.8 (but should still be good as Samyangs recent lenses like the 75/1.8 have been).

My personal recommendation would be one of the 35/1.8s, whichever one is the size/price you're more comfortable with.

travelinbri_74
travelinbri_74 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,075

From what I've read, I would go with the Samyang 35/1.8.

Curious how you like the A7C

-- hide signature --
 travelinbri_74's gear list:travelinbri_74's gear list
Ricoh GR III Sony a7R III Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro +9 more
BruceRH Senior Member • Posts: 2,642

EarthQuake wrote:

diablo2man wrote:

Hi everyone,

The Sony 35/2.8 is a very expensive lens for what it is (slow-ish aperture, good but not exceptional image quality, doesn't focus very close, so-so AF). If you're interested in this one, look for a used copy, you can find them for closer to half off.

I haven't used the 28/2, it seems like a solid lens but some are a little disappointed in the image quality wide open. If you want a slightly wider lens, this would be a decent choice.

The 35/1.8 is a great lens, very fast and accurate AF, solid image quality even wide open, focuses fairly close, and has weather sealing and a focus hold button (that can be customized). Negatives for this one are the price, if you're in the US you can buy new from Canada for around $600 (800 CAD) rather than $750.

There's also the Samyang 35/2.8. This lens has similar specs and image quality to the Sony 35/2.8, is even smaller, and is more affordable. If you look for a used copy you can find them for $150-175. Build quality is worse than the Sony 35/2.8 though of course, but it's very lightweight.

Then there's the new Samyang 35/1.8. I haven't used it yet (not shipping in the US yet) but this one seems to be a good alternative to the Sony 35/1.8. Image quality looks good from reviews, it's a little smaller and lighter than the Sony, it also has weather sealing, and reportedly better build quality than some of Samyang's other lenses. Retail is $400. Negatives are that it doesn't focus quite as close (but closer than the 35/2.8s) and AF is probably not quite as good as the Sony 35/1.8 (but should still be good as Samyangs recent lenses like the 75/1.8 have been).

My personal recommendation would be one of the 35/1.8s, whichever one is the size/price you're more comfortable with.

I am in the market for a 35 (also contemplating the A7C) and would agree with your post, particularly the last line. I am debating the merits of the two 35/1.8’s. I have the Sony 35/2.8 and I am just not that impressed. For indoor shots of a newborn, I would want faster than f2.8. I like the smaller size of the Samyang and image quality seems comparable. A small, fast 35 though makes the most sense to me for the A7C. Both the Sony and Samyang 35/1.8’s get an “excellent” rating on SonyAlpha blog for what it’s worth.

BruceRH's gear list:BruceRH's gear list
Sony RX100 III Olympus TG-6 Ricoh GR Digital II Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M5 III +33 more
OP diablo2man New Member • Posts: 13

EarthQuake wrote:

diablo2man wrote:

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the comment. Seems like Samyang 35/1.8 is a very good choice given it is lighter and smaller than Sony equivalent. My only concern is weaker AF which might be an issue for a moving kid. Anyone has first hand experience?

UBrot wrote:

My 2 cents:

I'd like a bright prime with at least f2, with a focal length around 35 (and under 50). Top contender would be Sony or Samyang 35 1.8 (Sony more expensive but better minimum focus distance) or maybe the Samyang 45 1.8 (smaller, lighter and cheaper) or the 40 f2 Batis (bulky but Zeiss).

A 35 f2.8 pancake like the Sony or Samyang (cheaper and even smaller and lighter with very good IQ) would be a good complement for outdoor photography.

Thanks. I think I will probably go to the faster prime.

travelinbri_74 wrote:

From what I've read, I would go with the Samyang 35/1.8.

Curious how you like the A7C

Thanks. I haven't got it yet...should ship any day from now.

teddoman
teddoman Senior Member • Posts: 2,809

diablo2man wrote:

UBrot wrote:

My 2 cents:

Thanks. I think I will probably go to the faster prime.

If you're having a kid, you should consider video autofocus too. It's great to capture clips of the kids. You won't believe how fast they grow up.

The native lenses tend to be better than third party lenses in terms of smooth and silent AF. That said, I don't have any personal experience with the Samyang lenses.

-- hide signature --

Ted
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tedchang/
C&C is encouraged, I'm always learning

teddoman's gear list:teddoman's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7C Zeiss Batis 135mm F2.8 Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art +7 more
poipoipoi_2016 Contributing Member • Posts: 882

diablo2man wrote:

Hi everyone,

Samyang 35/2.8 or Sony 35/1.8.  I'd say 1.8 myself.

I had rather bad luck needing multiple copies of my Samyang 45/1.8 to find one that wasn't completely decentered, so for $300, I'm going Sony.

poipoipoi_2016's gear list:poipoipoi_2016's gear list
Sony RX100 V Sony a7R III Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 Sony FE 24mm F1.4 GM +3 more

diablo2man wrote:

EarthQuake wrote:

diablo2man wrote:

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the comment. Seems like Samyang 35/1.8 is a very good choice given it is lighter and smaller than Sony equivalent. My only concern is weaker AF which might be an issue for a moving kid. Anyone has first hand experience?

No problem. Like I said I haven't used the 35/1.8 yet, but Samyang's recent lenses have had very good AF. A relevant comparison I can make is the Samyang 75/1.8 vs the Sony 85/1.8. Both focus very well, but the 85/1.8 was just a touch more confident when locking on. I kept the 75mm, because of it's smaller size and weight. I'm considering swapping to the Samyang 35/1.8 for the same reasons, but the slightly longer focusing distance gives me a little pause.

I imagine you could track focus just fine with the Samyang 35/1.8, I would think maybe, 8/10 in a burst would be in focus with the Samyang, and perhaps 9/10 with the Sony. Those are the margins we're likely talking about more so than the Samyang missing half the time or something like that. Samyang has improved their AF a lot from their first AF lenses a few years back.

But again, I haven't used it yet and there aren't a lot of detailed reviews for it either, so take that with a grain of salt.

There's a good comparison of there two here:

stash_story New Member • Posts: 21

Owned Sony 35mm 1.8, and so far satisfied with it. Not as small as 2.8, but you get much more for the slight increase in length.

Samyang 35mm 1.8 does present itself as a good cost-per-performance-ratio lens. But as some has said, beware of copies variance. Make sure your store are willing to exchange the bad copy until you get the good one. I read some people said they need to return 2-3 copies before they get the good one.

While some like the 28mm f2 lens, quite a lot also dislike it for its distortion and average sharpness.

stash_story's gear list:stash_story's gear list
Canon EOS 1000D Sony a7 III Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Sony FE 20mm F1.8G +5 more

Anecdotal obviously, but I've had decent luck with Samyang lenses and haven't needed (or felt the need) to try multiple copies.

My 18/2.8 seems to be about as expected, good but not perfect at 2.8 and great at 4.0-5.6 (open box for $260), as most reviews suggest. My 35/2.8 is surprisingly good, and I bought it used for about $150. My 75/1.8, which I bought new for retail, seems great even wide open. I bought a 14/2.8 used in pretty rough shape and it outperformed my good copy of a Voigtlander 15/4.5 (though I kept the V15 due to smaller size/lower weight and sold the S14).

The only marginally negative experience I've had with Samyang is a used 24/2.8 (again about $150, maybe it was even less), which was fairly soft wide open, but that seems to be the general expectation with that lens.

stash_story New Member • Posts: 21

Need to add, yesterday I read a thread at Sony Lens forum, where some people have their Samyang lenses bricked during firmware update process. Some have no such problem, so just beware that such case exist.

stash_story's gear list:stash_story's gear list
Canon EOS 1000D Sony a7 III Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Sony FE 20mm F1.8G +5 more
PAntunes Contributing Member • Posts: 695

I've got a samyang 35mm 1.4. 
Love the lens. Super sharp, quick to focus and extremely accurate. Problem is, it took about 3 months to get it there. When I got it, the eye-af was all over the place. Only 3 out of 10 photos would actually focus on the eye. The rest would be between a little soft to no idea where it tried to focus.
Got the dock, made the firmware update to the latest, not much better. Send it in to be checked. First time took about a month to get it back and when I got it back it was better but still not great. 6/10 sharp. Sent it back again and then they changed something on the mechanical part of the lens. Again, another month waiting, but now it's as good as my sony 85 1.8.
So, at the end of the day, if you need your lens now, the sony may be a safer choice. If you have time and have a place that will let you test different samples, a samyang may be a better deal.

Valdai21 Regular Member • Posts: 277

Sony Zeiss 35mm f/2,8 is a better lens than the 28mm f/2. Sharper especially in the corners and colors are nicer.

Trollmannx Veteran Member • Posts: 7,051

Have the Sony 1.8/35. Small and handy, pretty close focus and AF nails it.

Have not had good experience with Samyang, so out of the equation for me.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads