For cooking videos and food videos, on the fence between Sony 135 1.8 GM and the Sony 90mm Macro

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
fillet Junior Member • Posts: 35
For cooking videos and food videos, on the fence between Sony 135 1.8 GM and the Sony 90mm Macro

Hi

I'm planning to film some cooking videos and I'm on the fence between the two. I know the price of the two are completely different but both seem to offer what I need for cooking videos, macro shots, and also the need to have the camera far away to film shots involving oil and steam.

I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this.

The things preventing me from instantly getting the Sony 90mm Macro is the date it was release which was 5 years ago and that it's max F2.8.

Thanks for any insights you all may share.

poipoipoi_2016 Contributing Member • Posts: 885
Re: For cooking videos and food videos, on the fence between Sony 135 1.8 GM and the Sony 90mm Macro

fillet wrote:

Hi

I'm planning to film some cooking videos and I'm on the fence between the two. I know the price of the two are completely different but both seem to offer what I need for cooking videos, macro shots, and also the need to have the camera far away to film shots involving oil and steam.

The things preventing me from instantly getting the Sony 90mm Macro is the date it was release which was 5 years ago and that it's max F2.8.

Have you tested the angle of your filming setup?  DOF on these narrow lenses at those f-stops?  (Seriously, 85/1.4 is the first time I really thought about focus because even f/11 isn't totally in-focus front-to-back)

90mm feels very narrow, 135mm feels even narrower still in a cramped(?) kitchen.

Have you considered the new Samyang 75 or maybe the Sigma 85/1.4 if you don't specifically need macro, but do need light?

poipoipoi_2016's gear list:poipoipoi_2016's gear list
Sony RX100 V Sony a7R III Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Sony FE 24mm F1.4 GM +3 more
Zenza R
Zenza R Regular Member • Posts: 312
Re: For cooking videos and food videos, on the fence between Sony 135 1.8 GM and the Sony 90mm Macro

I feel like 135 is really really narrow and not really useful for macros. 90 mm 2.8 will be definitely handy and when it comes to macros, typically they are 2.8... you may compare recent sigma 105 2.8 and sony 90 mm, and decide if sony has been outdated. I have no idea but I doubt if it is so...

Also you may consider 50 mm macro as the all in one solution :)...

fillet wrote:

Hi

OP fillet Junior Member • Posts: 35

poipoipoi_2016 wrote:

Have you tested the angle of your filming setup? DOF on these narrow lenses at those f-stops? (Seriously, 85/1.4 is the first time I really thought about focus because even f/11 isn't totally in-focus front-to-back)

90mm feels very narrow, 135mm feels even narrower still in a cramped(?) kitchen.

Have you considered the new Samyang 75 or maybe the Sigma 85/1.4 if you don't specifically need macro, but do need light?

I haven't tested them yet, the most testing I can get is from my old micro 43 kit lens to approximate a zoom but it's still far off from 90mm and 135mm.

Sadly, where I live, we don't have places to rent lenses.

Yup, 135 will definitely be narrow in a kitchen, but it might provide me with unique shots.

Macro or close to Macro capabilities are quite important to me to get me certain shots of food.

Thanks

Zenza R wrote:

I feel like 135 is really really narrow and not really useful for macros. 90 mm 2.8 will be definitely handy and when it comes to macros, typically they are 2.8... you may compare recent sigma 105 2.8 and sony 90 mm, and decide if sony has been outdated. I have no idea but I doubt if it is so...

Yup, I'm leaning to the 90mm right now but it's out of stock where I am. If it stays out of stock for too long, I might get the 135. The sigma, after watching a lot of comparisons between the two, I'm still inclined to get the 90mm over the sigma. Thank you

PWPhotography Forum Pro • Posts: 10,775

fillet wrote:

Hi

Despite I own 135 GM which is a fantastic lens, I agree the others that 135mm is too long for such purpose.  85mm is suitable and also ideal FL for indoor portrait.  You can get the new Sigma FE 85/1.4 Art DN or cheaper but still pretty good optical quality Samyang/Rokinon FE 85/1.4 AF (that I also own).   For the macro lens around 100mm, Sigma recently released FE 105/2.8 Macro Art (no OS however) that is actually even sharper than Sony 90/2.8 macro OSS in a few reviews I have seen.

PWPhotography's gear list:PWPhotography's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +18 more
caplanner Senior Member • Posts: 1,340

I owned the Batis 135 and still own the Sony 90 macro.  While I can't speak to the Sony 135 I can tell you the Sony 90 macro is an excellent lens.  I use it for wedding pictures of rings and other applications where I want macro or close focus capability.  Some people like the 90 as a portrait lens while some say it is too clinically sharp.  Clinically sharp might not be a bad trait for cooking and food videos, I don't know.

Sure, it's been around a while but the 90 is highly regarded for a reason.

caplanner's gear list:caplanner's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony FE 35mm F1.4 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 +22 more
stash_story New Member • Posts: 21

A famous chef who do routine cooking videos on Youtube use both 85mm f1.8 and 90mm f2.8 macro. Of course his cooking studio is spacious enough that 85mm on a tripod is good for main center camera, and another person using 90mm to get close-up shots of the ingredients/foods.

stash_story's gear list:stash_story's gear list
Canon EOS 1000D Sony a7 III Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +5 more
pixelho Regular Member • Posts: 246

Like many others have noted, the Sony 90 is a terrific lens and is excellent for macro work as it was intended. I use it for that purpose along with other short tele needs. While “only” 2.8, most of my macro work with it is more in the f8-11 range for the desired DoF, wide open for subjects at more of a distance. I’ll suggest another option depending on your own DoF and other needs -  consider a lens like the excellent Sony f4 24 -105. You’d gain a ton of flexibility, which could be a big bonus in the tight confines of a kitchen setup, all while still having plenty of pixels and IQ to crop for a macro composition. For example, I often carry that lens on hikes to capture both quasi-macro for flowers etc and wider landscapes. Good luck in your quest.

pixelho's gear list:pixelho's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony a7R II Sony a7R IV
aayjay
aayjay Contributing Member • Posts: 639

Are you planning on using these lenses with autofocus? You might want to reconsider. Macro lenses have enormously long focus throws and they have a tough time sometimes maintaining focus. I just tested the Sony 90mm macro with the A7SIII. It works but I probably would use it manually in certain circumstances. It does hunt on occasion and it's noisy too.
It really depends on how you plan on using the lens.
I've seen some incredibly entertaining videos using food and the Laowa 24mm macro probe lens!

aayjay's gear list:aayjay's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7S III Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 600mm f/4.0L IS II USM Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS +4 more
OP fillet Junior Member • Posts: 35

aayjay wrote:

Are you planning on using these lenses with autofocus? You might want to reconsider. Macro lenses have enormously long focus throws and they have a tough time sometimes maintaining focus. I just tested the Sony 90mm macro with the A7SIII.

I wouldn't mind it having autofocus but after all the research I've done, manual focusing really seems like a necessity at macro levels.

Looks like the 90mm is really the best choice at the moment unless Sony decides to update the lens in 2021.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads