Black Friday comin' up . . .

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
Jack Calypso Regular Member • Posts: 435
Black Friday comin' up . . .

Bought my RP body only, and I'm looking to get some RF glass. I'm making a list, but it keeps changing. And, of course, I have no idea what Canon is going to offer, or when.

I really have my eye on the 50mm f1.2 L USM, and maybe one of the non-L RFs, and that's probably as far as the budget allows. I hope. Canon, if you could help me out here …

tenordrum Regular Member • Posts: 430
Re: Black Friday comin' up . . .

If  I had to guess, your best bets on RF glass for BF may be those that have been out for a while, in the Canon Refurbished store for a BF extra 10% discount

you can search the cpwatch.com archives from last year to see what was offered too, in terms of overall discounts.

given the scarcity of the new stuff, I would not expect any sales on those.

tenordrum's gear list:tenordrum's gear list
Canon EOS R Rokinon 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3 Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro +1 more
diness Veteran Member • Posts: 3,726

Jack Calypso wrote:

Bought my RP body only, and I'm looking to get some RF glass. I'm making a list, but it keeps changing. And, of course, I have no idea what Canon is going to offer, or when.

I really have my eye on the 50mm f1.2 L USM, and maybe one of the non-L RFs, and that's probably as far as the budget allows. I hope. Canon, if you could help me out here …

Hate to say it but canon doesn’t typically do much for Black Friday.  I would look for refurbished sales

diness's gear list:diness's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM
OP Jack Calypso Regular Member • Posts: 435

A refurbished sale is how I got my RP

One of the lenses I want to get is the 24-105mm ex kit lens, because I want a nice light walkaround lens to go with my RP. It NEVER shows up in the refurbished shop.

bodeswell Regular Member • Posts: 279

Jack Calypso wrote:

One of the lenses I want to get is the 24-105mm ex kit lens, because I want a nice light walkaround lens to go with my RP. It NEVER shows up in the refurbished shop.

I have seen it there, it's just out of stock now. Keep checking because when it is there it goes quickly.

bodeswell's gear list:bodeswell's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EOS 90D Canon EOS R5
Croomrider Regular Member • Posts: 478

For that lens I would try a gray market vendor with no sales tax and no shipping. Your final price on a new lens will probably be less than Refurbished plus tax and shipping. The lens is cheap enough, I wouldn't worry about a warranty!

Yeah, I remember when the Control Ring Adapter showed up there for a couple of hours. I got there too late

R2D2 Forum Pro • Posts: 22,317

Jack Calypso wrote:

$308 isn’t too shabby...

“Renewed” at @mazon

R2

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgment.
http://www.pbase.com/jekyll_and_hyde/galleries

R2D2's gear list:R2D2's gear list
Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS R5

I see that those are not refurbished by Canon. That's a minus for me.

Jack Calypso wrote:

Do you want the refurbished L version RF24-105, or the newer STM version ?

The STM you can often find separated from the kit at authorized dealers. My local dealer has a 'used' STM for example, as "mint" condition which I assume means they pulled it from a kit in order to sell the camera.

Canon EOS R Rokinon 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3 Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro +1 more

tenordrum wrote:

The STM you can often find separated from the kit at authorized dealers. My local dealer has a 'used' STM for example, as "mint" condition which I assume means they pulled it from a kit in order to sell the camera.

I want the STM version. My old EF 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 USM, while a stop faster, is considerably bigger and heavier, even without the adapter. I just want something easy to carry around all day.

That's a good idea about checking local dealers. So many of them are closed now, but there's still a few. If it were never sold, it should still have the original warranty, I hope?

I'd really like to snag that RF 50MM f1.2, though.

diness Veteran Member • Posts: 3,726

Jack Calypso wrote:

You should look on www.fredmiranda.com at used lenses.  The kit lens comes up often because people buy the kit and then sell it.

diness's gear list:diness's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM

we are fortunate in the DC area to have 2 dealers (with several retail locations) . The one I mentioned had the STM version for $279. They do sell online too (and are linked at Amazon too).

pkoenig2001 Contributing Member • Posts: 734

Which dealer?

-- hide signature --
 pkoenig2001's gear list:pkoenig2001's gear list
Canon EOS RP Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon Extender EF 1.4x II Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM +6 more
R2D2 Forum Pro • Posts: 22,317

Jack Calypso wrote:

I see that those are not refurbished by Canon. That's a minus for me.

I’ve never bought on of these “renewed” products either.  It’s like buying used (with a 90 day warranty).

R2

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgment.
http://www.pbase.com/jekyll_and_hyde/galleries

R2D2's gear list:R2D2's gear list
Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS R5

pkoenig2001 wrote:

Which dealer?

District Camera. You can search their used items. I think it was at their Arlington VA store.

Tazz93
Tazz93 Senior Member • Posts: 2,621

Jack Calypso wrote:

...I really have my eye on the 50mm f1.2 L USM, and maybe one of the non-L RFs, and that's probably as far as the budget allows. I hope. Canon, if you could help me out here …

Oh... that sucks, Canon just ran through a bunch of Refurb RF 50L 1.2's yesterday, I think they were around $1800. I nearly pulled to trigger, but would rather have a 85L.

As for other Black Friday stuff, Canon generally does have a 10-20% sale near Black Friday, but IIRC, its seldom during that day. They generally pump up Refurb stock at that time too. So keep an eye out.

-- hide signature --

Mike Jackson - Wildlife Photography Enthusiast
https://www.flickr.com/photos/mj_flickr/

Tazz93's gear list:Tazz93's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +13 more

Jack Calypso wrote:

not RF glass, but BestBuy's Black Friday  preview ad includes an ad for the RP kit that will include a 12 inch ring light, and they will have a R body available, but the BF pricing is not yet available as noted online.

jomabu Forum Member • Posts: 58

Jack Calypso wrote:

tenordrum wrote:

I want the STM version. My old EF 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 USM, while a stop faster, is considerably bigger and heavier, even without the adapter. I just want something easy to carry around all day.

That's a good idea about checking local dealers. So many of them are closed now, but there's still a few. If it were never sold, it should still have the original warranty, I hope?

I'd really like to snag that RF 50MM f1.2, though.

I have the STM to sell (haven't gotten around to selling it due to travel). Got it with a BB R6 kit. Never mounted since I have the L. PM me if you're interested.

Son of Thunder
Son of Thunder Contributing Member • Posts: 654

Canon has the RP with the 24-105 7.1 on special now for 999.99 for Christmas last year it was 1499.00 with the 24-240 which became the permanent price for that combo

Son of Thunder's gear list:Son of Thunder's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS M50 Canon EOS RP Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads