Is the 18-55 F4-5.6 good?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
an_also
an_also Contributing Member • Posts: 518
Is the 18-55 F4-5.6 good?

How is this lens in general? Good sharpness? I can get one used for almost nothing so I’m considering it for my 80d As a walk around lens. I’m referring to the newest iteration of the kit lens.

I’m not expecting miracles but it sounds like a half decent lens. Am I correct in assuming this?

thx

-- hide signature --

My wildlife photography:
https://www.instagram.com/anand_iyer/

an_also's gear list:an_also's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 400mm F4 DO IS II USM Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EOS 6D Canon Extender EF 1.4x III +2 more
Canon EOS 80D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
TeeJay626 Regular Member • Posts: 371
Re: Is the 18-55 F4-5.6 good?

an_also wrote:

How is this lens in general? Good sharpness? I can get one used for almost nothing so I’m considering it for my 80d As a walk around lens. I’m referring to the newest iteration of the kit lens.

I’m not expecting miracles but it sounds like a half decent lens. Am I correct in assuming this?

thx

Of all of the 18-55 kit lenses, the STM version would be best.  Yes, they are basic kit lenses, but in the right conditions you can get some decent shots.  For a little more, I'd recommend the Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 Contemporary.  You can pick one up used for a decent price, it's faster, longer and wider and significantly sharper.  I use this for my walk around lens and am very happy with it.

TeeJay626's gear list:TeeJay626's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H55 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS 80D Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 AF 1.4x +7 more
Dareshooter Veteran Member • Posts: 4,729

I've used both the F3.5-5.6 versions and the F 4.5.6 versions and both punched well above their weight . If you're getting one that's next to nothing you've got next to nothing to lose.

Dave
Dave Veteran Member • Posts: 5,549

I occasionally borrow my son's to use when I want to go light but still retain flexibility.

Dave's gear list:Dave's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +10 more
an_also
OP an_also Contributing Member • Posts: 518

Thanks for the replies. I ended up deciding to get it as it only cost my $80 Canadian (60ish US). It’s pretty cheap that it’ll be worth the money I paid.

-- hide signature --
 an_also's gear list:an_also's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 400mm F4 DO IS II USM Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EOS 6D Canon Extender EF 1.4x III +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads