Problem adapting the new Voigtlander 35 f2 ultron using K&F Adapter

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
NaughtyNautilus New Member • Posts: 5
Problem adapting the new Voigtlander 35 f2 ultron using K&F Adapter

Hi all, so the 35mm F2 just arrived and I did a few shots on my Sony A7II. I'm having a few issues adapting this lens onto my camera, producing frankly unacceptable images. I have attached sample shots here

Apart from the vignetting, there is noticable barrel distortion near the edges and it gets wavy near the center of the frame. There is no focus to be had even dead center, which leads me to believe it could be an issue that the flange distance with this adpater is too short?

The images are also very hazy with no clarity at F2. Stopping down to F2.8 helps though. But still, the sharpness decreases rather dramatically moving away from the center of the frame

I have ordered a native voigtlander  VM to E adapter from KEH and I'm hopting that will help solve the issue, while I'm waiting on that to arrive, has anyone had any experience with this sort of thing? My jupiter and zeiss opton adapts just fine with the contax/kiev to sony E adapter

35mm F2 ultron at F2, focus set to the lables

35mm F2 ultron at F8, focus set to the lables

the current setup

Rol Lei Nut Veteran Member • Posts: 5,273
Re: Problem adapting the new Voigtlander 35 f2 ultron using K&F Adapter

Does the adapter have optical elements inside (i.e. a speed extender) or is it possible that the lens is missing an element?

That doesn't look like a purely mechanical problem...

blåland Regular Member • Posts: 392

Look if the lens has been tampered with. It could have been taken apart and put together incorrectly. Or the Voigtlander QC is really bad.

blåland's gear list:blåland's gear list
Sony a7 Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC +1 more
Valdai21 Regular Member • Posts: 314

Looks quite horrible to me. 
If your adapter is fine with other lenses, then there may be a slight infinity problem but it's much worse here.

Does the lens look clean ? Do you have or can you borrow another camera body to test it ?

ProfHankD
ProfHankD Veteran Member • Posts: 7,522
Some piece of glass isn't right

NaughtyNautilus wrote:

35mm F2 ultron at F8, focus set to the lables

In a word, NO!

That image shows a huge amount of barrel distortion -- which the 35mm f/2 ultron isn't supposed to have (e.g., see the images here ). One way or another, there's a piece of glass that isn't in the right place. If it's not glass in your adapter, it's a flipped, grossly incorrectly positioned, or just plain missing element.

There is a very slim chance that, if it is a floating element design, the rear focus being way off might cause the floating correction group to do this, but again, very unlikely. It looks to me like you have a lens that was either incorrectly serviced, undetected as bad as a failure of quality control, or was somehow damaged in shipping (element came loose?). Does the lens make a sound if you shake it?

ProfHankD's gear list:ProfHankD's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX530 Olympus TG-860 Sony a7R II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Sony a6500 +30 more
SQLGuy
SQLGuy Forum Pro • Posts: 10,118

+1 on their being something wrong with that lens. Looks a bit like a Nikon 28/2.8 I have after it was incorrectly serviced by a local shop. Nikon LA was able to correct it.

-- hide signature --

A7R2 with SEL2470Z and a number of adapted lenses (Canon FD, Minolta AF, Canon EF, Leica, Nikon...); A7R converted to IR.

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS 5D Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro +24 more
OP NaughtyNautilus New Member • Posts: 5

i think its got floating rear elements? everything seems to align just fine though

arrived from KEH, the culprit might just be the numerous hands thats passed it before landing on mine

Re: Some piece of glass isn't right

theres some yellow lubircant leaking out from the rear helicoid, could be a sign of poor servicing this time around from the good fellas over at keh : (

ProfHankD
Re: Some piece of glass isn't right

NaughtyNautilus wrote:

theres some yellow lubircant leaking out from the rear helicoid, could be a sign of poor servicing this time around from the good fellas over at keh : (

Well, that's your "wavy" explanation: an uneven coating of oil on an element.

So this wasn't a new purchase? I hope you didn't pay too much. This could easily be with a flipped element and suffering other issues due to repairs by the original owner....

Canon PowerShot SX530 Olympus TG-860 Sony a7R II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Sony a6500 +30 more
Tons o Glass 0 Class
Tons o Glass 0 Class Contributing Member • Posts: 757

I'm jumping on the bandwagon to say that something is very wrong with the lens and that your adapter couldn't be to blame for what you're getting. One or more elements / groups could be reversed or missing.

Here's a lens diagram. Reference it while examining your lens. No groups or elements look easy to accidentally reverse, so one has to wonder what happened to this poor little optic...

http://www.cosina.co.jp/seihin/voigtlander/english/e-vm-mount/vm35mm2.html

From looking at your pic of the lens/adapter/camera setup I think I see that the front element looks like it might be reversed as there's a flat edge on the perimeter that is blackened with optical paint. I don't see this on product photos:

It will be easy to discover if the rear group is reversed (if that's even possible) or missing without disassembly.

If it turns out the front element is flipped or if you're able to discover another issue, you still may need to end up returning it to KEH for being defective as I'm sure doing any disassembly yourself, regardless of how qualified you feel to do so, would probably void any return policy you may have.

Tons o Glass 0 Class's gear list:Tons o Glass 0 Class's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Sony Alpha NEX-3N A3000 Sony a7 II YI M1 +2 more
MOD Tom Caldwell Forum Pro • Posts: 42,114
Problem Voigtlander 35 f2 Ultron

Only being an amateur lens mechanic - it also looks like the front element would be “easiest” to insert reversed.  Also easiest to fix.  But I would wonder about clearance and whether that reversed lens (if it is that) might actually impact on the next group (ouch?).

Otherwise the second group from the rear might be capable of being reversed - not so sure  about the rearmost - it would be screamingly obvious if fitted back to front.

I wonder if KEH had actually tested the lens if it is in such a bad way.

K&F has a good reputation for its adapters but I did get one adapter from them which was not the correct depth (by exactly 1mm).

The lens of course was “new” second hand - which description had me tricked for a moment until I saw the image of the lens.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Tons o Glass 0 Class
Tons o Glass 0 Class Contributing Member • Posts: 757
Re: Problem Voigtlander 35 f2 Ultron

Tom Caldwell wrote:

Only being an amateur lens mechanic - it also looks like the front element would be “easiest” to insert reversed. Also easiest to fix. But I would wonder about clearance and whether that reversed lens (if it is that) might actually impact on the next group (ouch?).

Yeah I think you're right that the lens elements would come into contact assuming the diagram is sufficiently accurate (animated GIF - view original if it's not playing):

The front element could be stressed at the point of contact especially if the retaining ring is on really tight, and the spacing would of course be messed up a bit... 😬

Otherwise the second group from the rear might be capable of being reversed - not so sure about the rearmost - it would be screamingly obvious if fitted back to front.

It does make me wonder that as well.

K&F has a good reputation for its adapters but I did get one adapter from them which was not the correct depth (by exactly 1mm).

The lens of course was “new” second hand - which description had me tricked for a moment until I saw the image of the lens.

Tons o Glass 0 Class's gear list:Tons o Glass 0 Class's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Sony Alpha NEX-3N A3000 Sony a7 II YI M1 +2 more
ProfHankD

Tons o Glass 0 Class wrote:

Tom Caldwell wrote:

Only being an amateur lens mechanic - it also looks like the front element would be “easiest” to insert reversed. Also easiest to fix. But I would wonder about clearance and whether that reversed lens (if it is that) might actually impact on the next group (ouch?).

Yeah I think you're right that the lens elements would come into contact assuming the diagram is sufficiently accurate (animated GIF - view original if it's not playing):

The front element could be stressed at the point of contact especially if the retaining ring is on really tight, and the spacing would of course be messed up a bit... 😬

Otherwise the second group from the rear might be capable of being reversed - not so sure about the rearmost - it would be screamingly obvious if fitted back to front.

I agree. The OP's photo showing the front of the lens is a smoking gun on this -- it's reversed. Good news is, that should be easy to fix. Bad news is, do you trust a lens that was so obviously assembled by a blind monkey?

blåland Regular Member • Posts: 392

ProfHankD wrote:

Tons o Glass 0 Class wrote:

Tom Caldwell wrote:

I agree. The OP's photo showing the front of the lens is a smoking gun on this -- it's reversed. Good news is, that should be easy to fix. Bad news is, do you trust a lens that was so obviously assembled by a blind monkey?

I would send it back.

blåland's gear list:blåland's gear list
Sony a7 Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC +1 more
MHshooter
MHshooter Senior Member • Posts: 1,010

Without the adapter, hold the lens to the camera and shoot something you can focus on, likely something very close, if the adapter needs lenses in it to focus. If the image looks reasonably ok, then the adapter is the cause. If not, the lens is screwed-up. Send it back.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads