Genuine ( Non Flame!) Question - Why Fuji?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
Neuro13 New Member • Posts: 9
Genuine ( Non Flame!) Question - Why Fuji?

Why do you choose to shoot Fuji? Out of all the systems and cameras out there, what makes these little black and silver boxes the one that you've picked?

I'm particularly interested to hear from those ( like me) who shoot the one system and have decided to have Fuji as their one and only camera.

I'll give my own answer below!

I've shot a lot of systems over the years, mainly as a keen amateur but some as a professional as well. I'm just an enthusiastic amateur these days but I take my photography seriously. I have come back to Fuji twice now, after moving systems ( a combination of curiosity and GAS), and there are a few reasons why...

1) The images.

There's a quality and tone to Fuji images that I absolutely love, I find they take little to no processing, and obviously the colours are fantastic.

2) The lenses

Fuji lenses aren't cheap, especially for an APSC system, but I've yet to find a bad one, both in terms of quality control and performance.

3) The size

To be fair this one isn't Fuji specific, but as a busy dad I love the fact that I can out a 23 1.4 on my X-T3 and have a compact set up that can be thrown in a small bag and can accompany me almost everywhere.

So what about everyone else?

Why Fuji?   

Fujifilm X-T3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Human Elements
Human Elements Contributing Member • Posts: 528
Re: Genuine ( Non Flame!) Question - Why Fuji?

The images were the main draw for me. I didn't get into Fujifilm until 2016-7. Before then, I'd tried most of the other major brands on the digital market (Canon, Nikon, Sony, Panasonic). What drew me to Fujifilm at first were the nearly crushed blacks look that seemed so easy to achieve in SOOC JPEGs and much nicer grain than Micro 4/3rds in low light situations.

APS-C seemed like the best balance between M43, which wasn't quite cutting it for me, and FF, which was still fairly expensive back then. Once I got my first X-T2, the handling, Film Simulations, and even the look (Fuji cameras are just sexy) sold me on the system.

I went briefly back to Nikon for a bit as the DF really intrigued me. But I came crying straight back to Fujifilm as it just wasn't the same. The image output is SO nice and in the end, isn't that what really matters? Sure, I'd love a full-frame sensor, Micro 4/3rds IBIS tricks, or more megapixels. But my Fuji files get it right from the get-go thanks to the Film Sims, X-Trans sharpness (supposedly), and handling that enables my creativity like no other system.

Human Elements's gear list:Human Elements's gear list
Fujifilm X100V
Ad12 Contributing Member • Posts: 951

For me its two things, which i felt lacking in my Canon (albeit a cheaper Canon)

- Manual controls: I love the dials. If i can never use a menu again, I'll be a happy man. and besides a few specific shutter speed adjustments, you don't even have to check the screen sometimes! Manual ISO, aperture, shutter speed, exposure comp, switch from single/continuous/manual AF, dial for metering, dial for shooting mode (high, low, etc).

- EVF!: Really wanted an EVF. All the benefits it brings. The exposure/DoF preview in live time in the VF, histogram there, eye AF, etc. Plus, Canon never released the m5ii i wanted. The RP and R are too slow for action. Even now, the R6 is only 20mp, the R5 more but $$$. I never felt Canon gave me what i wanted unless i spent £3000.

So really, i wanted millions of manual controls, a good EVF, reach (so crop sensor as i cant afford a 45mp R5 or A7riii), and something fast! Got the XT3 used for £799. 11fps mechanical, great 4k video, battery grip now, great EVF, tonnes of controls.  Exactly what i wanted.

Downside? Lightroom cannot handle the files without an additional step, i disliked capture 1. Also, lenses are expensive compared to Canon crop lenses, albeit better built. Tend to need an aftermarket grip / battery grip for the 400mm lens. Battery life (common Mless issue, but improving, see a7iii/XT4, although XT3 lasts much longer than CIPA rating for me. I shot 550 shots earlier on half a battery on boost mode).

Ad12's gear list:Ad12's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel T7i Fujifilm X-T30 Fujifilm X-T3 Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +3 more
inlikeflynn
inlikeflynn Forum Member • Posts: 80

at the time i switched, i did it mostly because i was shooting aps-c Nikon, and i wanted something lighter and more compact that would deliver results closer to my d7000 than i was getting with the Olympus m43 cameras I'd played around with. as a bonus, it was right around the time metabones released its first speedbooster, so i could use my old legacy Nikon lenses to get FF equivalent results. it felt like getting two camera systems for the price of one.

so, that got me invested, and then I think the ease and fun of shooting kept me coming back. they really are just joys to handle.

inlikeflynn's gear list:inlikeflynn's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T30 7artisans 55mm F1.4 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +5 more
JayPhizzt Senior Member • Posts: 1,849
  • The lenses.
  • The intuitive and "organic" user experience.
  • The overall quality and versatility of the X-system.
 JayPhizzt's gear list:JayPhizzt's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Fujifilm XF 80mm F2.8 Macro +1 more
Thomas CJ
Thomas CJ Regular Member • Posts: 231

I had a Fuji X-E3, went to a Sony A7R2 and now back to the X-E3.

There are several reasons why, and some are very personal ... like: I'm also investing more again in my analogue photography, and I don't currently really need the ultimate image quality of the A7R2.

Now, I got an X-E3 again.

• I love the Fuji user experience much more than all other brands (except Leica or Hasselblad maybe).
  • I especially love the X-E series because of their design, style and user interface. A great blend of new (touch screen, nice menus, joystick) and old (dials).
  • Several bodies are total bargains today, especially as the move from 24 MP to 26 MP doesn't interest me at all. Price performance is very good on the 24 MP generation bodies.
  • I remember that some Fujinon lenses are great performers. Not only the more expensive ones but even my bargain basement 55-230 telephoto was surprisingly good.
  • Today you also have a great selection of non-Fujinon lenses and even new manual focus lenses.
  • The Fuji sensors are very good, especially the colors! But frankly, the other current APS-C sensors (from Sony) are also great. Fuji has very great film simulations but in essence I'm a RAW shooter anyway.

I have to admit that

• I don't like the big size of the X-H1 and X-T4,
  • I personally don't like the user interface of the X-S10 with the unmarked dials, but I do think it is a GREAT body and will be a HUGE success for Fuji !!
  • I don't like the X-Trans stuff. Basically it just means extra work to convert these files in the X-Transformer for me. The GFX series also does not use X-Trans.
  • I'm not sure how it is with other Fuji bodies, but the remote app for my iPhone is basically completely useless with the X-E3. Even the Sony app, and that one was already not good, was working much better.
  • I am very happy that there will be an X-E4!

Thomas

Thomas CJ's gear list:Thomas CJ's gear list
Sony a7R II Fujifilm X-E3 Sony FE 50mm F1.8 Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton +1 more
GKramer1 Forum Member • Posts: 60

1. Wanted to move to mirrorless (EVF, preview exposure).  This was four years ago so fewer options at the time.

2. Lenses.  Nice mix of prime and zoom.  Not cheap, but that’s been a plus.  I’ve bought used to save money, and with other systems I bought the cheapest lenses and had poorer results.  I like that almost all the lenses are good quality.

3. JPG quality.  I shoot jpg a lot, appreciated that they looked good sooc.

4. Dials/aperture ring.  The dials made me consider my settings more, and made me a better photographer.  The preview exposure plus compensation dial was a revelation.

5. Smaller size.  Compared to my old APSC dslr and lenses, my X-T4 is still smaller and lighter.

6. Rented an X-100 to try Fuji.  Ultimately went with the X- T series but that camera sold me on everything else Fuji.

GKramer1's gear list:GKramer1's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm X-A3 Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +7 more
Mr Bolton Contributing Member • Posts: 869

The original X-100 was my gateway into Fuji, an X-E1 and 35mm f2 to Fujis with interchangeable lenses. I quickly acquired the 18-55mm kit zoom. I got the X-100 in 2013, the E1 in 2014. Since that time I've gone back and forth between it and M43 via Olympus. Who I have to say, really nailed the touchscreen interface-in 2012.. but anyway..

The image quality has always been excellent, and when I upgraded to the X-100T I was able to easily transfer pics from camera to phone (when the app worked.. take your chances).. and that made my Instagram look worlds better. Don't let anyone kid you-real camera optical bokeh is still better than fokeh from a phone.

I now have two X-H1s and as a manual shooter who came up in the film era, can't sing the praises enough of real, metal, machined dials with the shutter speed and ISO and aperture right there, albiet not all their lenses have the aperture numbers. The H1 is sturdy and feels great in the hand. And yet, unlike modern CaNikon DSLRs, doesn't feel bulky somehow. And that top plate LCD.. I didn't know I needed it til I had it, now I wouldn't buy a nicer camera that didn't have it.

So in a nutshell, Fuji colors and ergos and build quality, including lenses. I don't fee like I will outgrow this system anytime soon. Fuji cameras take really good pictures.

Mr Bolton's gear list:Mr Bolton's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +1 more
Doug MacMillan Veteran Member • Posts: 3,272
Good Summary

In addition to what you mention, it was a convergence of circumstances.

My work allowed took me to some nice places.  I'd take my Canon 5D2 on the early trips, but got tired of toting it around.  I tried a Panasonic Lumix LX7, but the image quality wasn't up to par.

Then, we ended up going to Europe twice in 7 months.  Both times I took my Canon kit, but it is huge and heavy.   I wanted a travel camera with good image quality and started looking into mirrorless. Everything pointed to Fuji and they released the X-E3 just before a business trip my wife had to take to London and Paris (poor thing)  I pre-ordered and the X-E3 arrived 10 days before we left.

I just loved shooting with the X-E3 on that trip. It reminded me of my beloved Leica M3 that I've owned for 40 years. I looked at the photos from that trip compared to my Canon travel photos and felt they were at least as good as the Canon's.

In the last few years, I've moved over to shooting Fuji and bought two more bodies.

One thing that has been an added bonus is my ability to shoot with my vintage Canon FL and FD lenses, as well as my Leica Summicron lenses.

I'm also exploring video, including time lapse and have been impressed with the results.

Doug MacMillan's gear list:Doug MacMillan's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-H1 Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +9 more
Bill Ferris
Bill Ferris Veteran Member • Posts: 6,191
X-T20 Owner Since 2017...
  1. Price fit within my budget
  2. APS-C...small but not too small sensor
  3. Size and weight met my needs for a compact system
  4. User interface (controls and menus)
  5. Quality of kit zoom
  6. Video capabilities and features
  7. I like the way it looks
-- hide signature --

Bill Ferris Photography
Flagstaff, AZ
http://www.billferris.photoshelter.com

Bill Ferris's gear list:Bill Ferris's gear list
Nikon D610 Fujifilm X-T20 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD +3 more
ly2photos
ly2photos Forum Member • Posts: 92

Here are mine!

1. Compact Size! -- I don't want to be lugging around a 1kg DSLR and eventually lose interest in photography because I get too lazy to bring the brick-like camera outside. I'm just a kid who likes cameras! No professional! Also, the lenses are tiny too!

2. SLR-like body -- the main reason I went with the X-T1 rather than Sony APS-C. It may be an unpopular opinion, but I HATE, HATE, HATE rangefinder like cameras.

3. SOOC JPEG colours -- sometimes I like to take pictures and document moments with my family, then send it to them directly through WeChat (yes, I know... shh), so the great looking JPEG's really help.

4. Manual controls -- I am someone who believes as much in the process as the actual result, and the full manual controls slow me down and lets me enjoy the process of taking pictures.

5. BEAUTIFUL lenses -- is it just me, or do the vintage all-metal lenses look GORGEOUS

6. Cost -- again, I'm just a high school student so the savings with going APS-C are really helpful!

6. Build quality -- all of Fuji's products (other than their budget offerings) are made out of metal and feel AMAZING! Top-notch build quality throughout their line of products.

I know you didn't ask for this, but here are my only gripes:

1. Battery -- do I need to say any more? Although I always keep spares on me, having them die on me EVERY OTHER DAY is kind of annoying.

2. Continous autofocus -- when I shoot my family playing sports, I have a hit rate of around 60%... I know the newer models fixed this, but the X-T1 is still lacking in this area. Does anyone have any tips for recommended settings while photographing sports? That would be great!

3. Small lenses = small filter sizes -- it's tough to find tiny filters and a filter size like 43mm on the 35 f2 means stacking multiple step-up rings, which get cumbersome AND expensive.

4. Support for old models -- I just got my X-T1 last month, and I was unable to register it on the Fuji website! I type in the serial number and it recognizes it as an X-T100.... ARGH

Overall, though, I love the Fuji experience!

-- hide signature --
 ly2photos's gear list:ly2photos's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR
Gary Martin
Gary Martin Veteran Member • Posts: 4,806

Neuro13 wrote:

Why do you choose to shoot Fuji? Out of all the systems and cameras out there, what makes these little black and silver boxes the one that you've picked?

I'm particularly interested to hear from those ( like me) who shoot the one system and have decided to have Fuji as their one and only camera.

I'll give my own answer below!

I've shot a lot of systems over the years, mainly as a keen amateur but some as a professional as well. I'm just an enthusiastic amateur these days but I take my photography seriously. I have come back to Fuji twice now, after moving systems ( a combination of curiosity and GAS), and there are a few reasons why...

1) The images.

There's a quality and tone to Fuji images that I absolutely love, I find they take little to no processing, and obviously the colours are fantastic.

2) The lenses

Fuji lenses aren't cheap, especially for an APSC system, but I've yet to find a bad one, both in terms of quality control and performance.

3) The size

To be fair this one isn't Fuji specific, but as a busy dad I love the fact that I can out a 23 1.4 on my X-T3 and have a compact set up that can be thrown in a small bag and can accompany me almost everywhere.

So what about everyone else?

Why Fuji?

4) User Experience

When Fuji introduced the X-mount, they did so with a camera body offering traditional dials and a prime-focused lens lineup. This got my attention because it demonstrated that Fuji was emphasizing the *experience* of image making as opposed to specs and shiny tech. It seems to have resonated, and I hope they don't lose that focus.

-- hide signature --
 Gary Martin's gear list:Gary Martin's gear list
Ricoh GR III Pentax K-1 Fujifilm X-T4 Pentax FA 28-105mm F3.5-5.6 Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +6 more
mike lix Senior Member • Posts: 1,303
Why Fuji? - Three reasons

1)  XF 50/1, XF 90/2, XF16/1.4

2)  The joy of using the camera. Sometimes when I see the camera on the table, I just have to take it and shoot a few nonsense shots that I know I will erase.

3) Style.

-- hide signature --

www.instagram.com/michal.placek.fotograf
www.facebook.com/michal.placek.fotograf
500px.com/mikepl500px

mike lix's gear list:mike lix's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T3 XF 90mm Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR +3 more
yardcoyote Forum Pro • Posts: 13,155

For me, it's the "real camera" shooting experience. There are lots of other good things about Fuji, but that's my main reason.

-- hide signature --

Instagram: @yardcoyote

yardcoyote's gear list:yardcoyote's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100T Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm X-M1 +18 more
Mr Bolton Contributing Member • Posts: 869
Re: Why Fuji? - Three reasons

mike lix wrote:

1) XF 50/1, XF 90/2, XF16/1.4

All on my wishlist.

2) The joy of using the camera. Sometimes when I see the camera on the table, I just have to take it and shoot a few nonsense shots that I know I will erase.

Same here.  So, so many silly cat photos.

3) Style.

Yes, he's a stylish cat..

Spazzers on 35mm f2 @ 2.8, performing his shop cat duties with aplomb.

Mr Bolton's gear list:Mr Bolton's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +1 more
Foskito
Foskito Regular Member • Posts: 438

In my case, I love my XT3 because it still looks like a camera aimed for still-photography.

Removing the exposure compensation dial, adding a big video button, and switching from tilt to flip screen on the XT4 for me it was disappointing and tells me that Fuji will end up doing what everything else; making cameras for the next youtube sensations.

Besides that, the optics are awesome.

Foskito's gear list:Foskito's gear list
Leica M9-P Leica M8 Sony a7R II Fujifilm X-T3 Canon EOS 5D +11 more
MrALLCAPS
MrALLCAPS Senior Member • Posts: 1,973
To Me, The Best Compromise

When the X-T1 came out, I knew that was the camera for me.

Having M43 and a Canon 6D, I looked at the Fuji system as the system in between the 2. So I sold my 6D, most of the lenses and at the time, the X-T1 was sold out everywhere, so I started with a X-E2 and that one camera was an eye opener.

Then Fujifilm made it a whole new camera with an update. I was sold.

MrALLCAPS's gear list:MrALLCAPS's gear list
Nikon Z6 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-H1
Buttons252
Buttons252 Senior Member • Posts: 1,492

I find the fuji camera bodies and lenses are more fun to use.  I had an X-E2s + 23mm F1.4 and I do not remember that being a compact package.  Very front heavy, poor ergonomics to hold for extended periods of time.   The F2 lenses are perfect compansions for the range finder though.  I do wish they had IBIS, thats why i switched to an X-H1 when i came back.

Buttons252's gear list:Buttons252's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Canon EOS 5DS XF 90mm Tamron SP 35mm F1.4 Di USD Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR
loseseeker Regular Member • Posts: 353
3 reasons why I switched and 3 reasons why I will stay

1. Sony (a6000 I was using) colors were bad for my liking, so I wanted out.

2. Canon eos M mount lenses selection was ...... (that was before sigma trio made for M mount)

3. Everyone says fuji colors are nice.

That was the 3 reasons why I left Sony and came to Fuji back in 2018. Below are the 3 reasons I will stay.

1. Fuji continuation to commit to their users by constantly rolling out firmware updates.

2. FF cameras and their lenses are big, heavy and expensive (yet offer very little advantage over fuji in return), which deter me to move out of fuji.

3. More 3rd party manufacturer are coming to Fuji such as Viltrox and Tokina to offer very affordable yet great option.

dudewithcamera
dudewithcamera Regular Member • Posts: 461

I'd say it's something intangible, and it is, but also, tangibly, when you actually hold them up to your face, these are the best cameras. I'd elaborate, but everyone on this thread knows what I mean.

dudewithcamera's gear list:dudewithcamera's gear list
Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR Fujifilm XF1 Fujifilm X-T2
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads