Need picture of gutter while cleaning and monitor on ground

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Leica Eye
Leica Eye Senior Member • Posts: 2,083
Re: Need picture of gutter while cleaning and monitor on ground

RUcrAZ wrote:

Absolutely no offense intended. Poles are fine people! (Only poor....they did not have enough money to buy a few vowels for their words, just consonants.)

-- hide signature --

Trying Harder Than Ever ..

 Leica Eye's gear list:Leica Eye's gear list
Leica V-Lux 40 Leica D-Lux 7 Nikon D3100 Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS 90D +5 more
bobn2
bobn2 Forum Pro • Posts: 67,456
Re: Need picture of gutter while cleaning and monitor on ground

flowersnapper44 wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I am wondering if there is a way to buy a camera and monitor seperately.

My objective is to mount a camera on a pole to clean my gutters and attach a monitor at waist height on the pole so I can view what I am doing.

Could anyone tell me if and how this could be achieved relatively cheaply.

A company called spinaclean do a professional version called skycam, but it is very expensive.

Any thoughts and recommendations would be most appreciated.

Kind regards

Chris

This is really the wrong set of forums to ask about this, because it concentrates on still photography using dedicated cameras. You want something completely different. What I would suggest is that you get yourself a very inexpensive 'IP camera', something like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Camera-Wireless-Wifi-IP-Home-Security-1080P-DVR-Night-Vision-Remote-us/283902750448

(I hope the link works, I trimmed all the padding of it)

These will likely give good enough quality for your purposes, and is very inexpensive, so if it falls off the pole, or you smash it up against something, not much is lost. Your 'monitor' is then a phone or tablet.

-- hide signature --

Is it always wrong
for one to have the hots for
Comrade Kim Yo Jong?

lost alaskan
lost alaskan Senior Member • Posts: 1,642
Re: Need picture of gutter while cleaning and monitor on ground

Maybe fly a drone over the gutter and blow the leaves out.

 lost alaskan's gear list:lost alaskan's gear list
Sony a6300 Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS +2 more
Razor512
Razor512 Contributing Member • Posts: 516
Re: Need picture of gutter while cleaning and monitor on ground

Wanted to show a really ghetto method using those USB transmitters if you want to use a webcam or really just about any camera that is plug and play.

Decided to experiment with one of my dash cams (even works with car dash cams )

Basically using the transmitter from those cheap $15-20 snake/ endoscope cameras.

Overall if willing to jerry-rig something, you can tape almost any camera to the location or device you want to monitor.

As others have mentioned, you can also use an old smartphone as an IP camera and remotely view it with a different phone. Or if you want discrete hardware, then going with a cheap drone FPV camera setup (usually around $10-15 for the camera (especially for the lower power 25mw transmit power ones), and the cheapest receiver you can find that is in the same frequency range. (though the broadcast fromFPV drone cameras are analog and completely unencrypted thus anyone in range (around 100 meters) will be able to view your camera while it is running if they have a compatible receiver.

 Razor512's gear list:Razor512's gear list
Nikon D5600
Bob
Bob Senior Member • Posts: 2,603
Re: Need picture of gutter while cleaning and monitor on ground

Razor512 wrote:

Wanted to show a really ghetto method

2020 - and still using "ghetto" as an adjective.  Unreal.

Razor512
Razor512 Contributing Member • Posts: 516
Re: Need picture of gutter while cleaning and monitor on ground

More of a NYC thing, but many people still use the term, because we do jerry rig solutions pretty often.

It is not meant to be negative in any way, instead more of showing nonstandard ingenuity to solving a problem, especially when it comes to not being wastefull, for example, if even if there is an official fancy purpose specific tool for the job, if you are not making a living doing that job, and thus will likely only need to use it once, or once n very rare occasion, then it is better to jerry rig something that can get the job done.

Consider this, many years ago, places like home depot pushed heavily for getting specialized cost down versions of professional tools marketed to consumers looking to do some DIY projects. most of those efforts failed because those tools were focused on saving small amounts of time, where to a professional, even a 10% time saving can be a huge deal, but it did not have much value to a user looking to do a single weekend project and never need the tool again.

 Razor512's gear list:Razor512's gear list
Nikon D5600
Bob
Bob Senior Member • Posts: 2,603
Re: Need picture of gutter while cleaning and monitor on ground

Razor512 wrote:

More of a NYC thing, but many people still use the term, because we do jerry rig solutions pretty often.

It is not meant to be negative in any way, instead more of showing nonstandard ingenuity to solving a problem, especially when it comes to not being wastefull, for example, if even if there is an official fancy purpose specific tool for the job, if you are not making a living doing that job, and thus will likely only need to use it once, or once n very rare occasion, then it is better to jerry rig something that can get the job done.

Consider this, many years ago, places like home depot pushed heavily for getting specialized cost down versions of professional tools marketed to consumers looking to do some DIY projects. most of those efforts failed because those tools were focused on saving small amounts of time, where to a professional, even a 10% time saving can be a huge deal, but it did not have much value to a user looking to do a single weekend project and never need the tool again.

'Ghetto" means a place where people of a certain ethnic background are forced to live so that they remain segregated from the rest of the population.  People live in ghettos because the authorities force them (i.e. blacks under apartheid or jews under Nazis) or because of economic reasons (e.g. blacks in American urban areas during the 70s).  "Ghetto" has the connotation of being an undesirable crime-ridden dirty slum hell hole.

So if your camera is jerry-rigged - then say "jerry rigged" instead of saying "this is the type of contraption that you'd find slapped together in a place poor people live".

"Ghetto" is extremely offensive in the way you've used it.

ThrillaMozilla Veteran Member • Posts: 5,342
Re: Need picture of gutter while cleaning and monitor on ground
2

Bob wrote:

'Ghetto" means a place where people of a certain ethnic background are forced to live so that they remain segregated from the rest of the population. People live in ghettos because the authorities force them (i.e. blacks under apartheid or jews under Nazis) or because of economic reasons (e.g. blacks in American urban areas during the 70s). "Ghetto" has the connotation of being an undesirable crime-ridden dirty slum hell hole.

So if your camera is jerry-rigged - then say "jerry rigged" instead of saying "this is the type of contraption that you'd find slapped together in a place poor people live".

"Ghetto" is extremely offensive in the way you've used it.

Yes, that's what it means in other parts of the country.  Razor, I suggest that in the future you use a different term.

 ThrillaMozilla's gear list:ThrillaMozilla's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL1
petrochemist Senior Member • Posts: 2,839
Re: Need picture of gutter while cleaning and monitor on ground
1

ThrillaMozilla wrote:

Bob wrote:

'Ghetto" means a place where people of a certain ethnic background are forced to live so that they remain segregated from the rest of the population. People live in ghettos because the authorities force them (i.e. blacks under apartheid or jews under Nazis) or because of economic reasons (e.g. blacks in American urban areas during the 70s). "Ghetto" has the connotation of being an undesirable crime-ridden dirty slum hell hole.

So if your camera is jerry-rigged - then say "jerry rigged" instead of saying "this is the type of contraption that you'd find slapped together in a place poor people live".

"Ghetto" is extremely offensive in the way you've used it.

Yes, that's what it means in other parts of the country. Razor, I suggest that in the future you use a different term.

Outside 'the country' as well!

 petrochemist's gear list:petrochemist's gear list
Pentax K100D Sigma SD14 Pentax K-7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 +15 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads