Need picture of gutter while cleaning and monitor on ground

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
flowersnapper44 New Member • Posts: 14
Need picture of gutter while cleaning and monitor on ground

Hi Everyone,

I am wondering if there is a way to buy a camera and monitor seperately.

My objective is to mount a camera on a pole to clean my gutters and attach a monitor at waist height on the pole so I can view what I am doing.

Could anyone tell me if and how this could be achieved relatively cheaply.

A company called spinaclean do a professional version called skycam, but it is very expensive.

Any thoughts and recommendations would be most appreciated.

Kind regards

Chris

moficera Contributing Member • Posts: 527
Re: Need picture of gutter while cleaning and monitor on ground

Is your camera supported by an app (from the camera manufacturer) for your phone that transmits a live view?

moficera's gear list:moficera's gear list
Sony a7 III Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Venus Laowa 100mm F2.8 Macro Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 +12 more
Autonerd Senior Member • Posts: 1,271

flowersnapper44 wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I am wondering if there is a way to buy a camera and monitor seperately.

My objective is to mount a camera on a pole to clean my gutters and attach a monitor at waist height on the pole so I can view what I am doing.

You can do this with a GoPro or a cheap GoPro knock-off. And they're small and light and perfect for hosting on a pole of some sort. They'll send a live view to a phone or tablet. You should be able to find one for $30-$50.

Aaron

-- hide signature --
OP flowersnapper44 New Member • Posts: 14

Hi again,

Thanks very much for your very quick responses.

I have not purchased camera yet as unsure which setup will work, but just something cheapish (that works).

My problem is I don't have a phone to use as a monitor, I only have an old style mobile with no apps (it's only for emergencies)

This is why I need a separate monitor with liveview.

Gopro sounds good, but I'm not sure how you get the monitor view from the ground like the skycam model.

I do have other cameras, but too good for sending up on the gutter!

Hoping you can help.

Thanks in advance

Chris

ThrillaMozilla Veteran Member • Posts: 5,214

How are you going to clean the gutters, though? Putting the camera on a pole is one thing, but I can't imagine putting the tools on a pole too.  I'm asking because I also have gutters.

ThrillaMozilla's gear list:ThrillaMozilla's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL1
Leica Eye
Leica Eye Senior Member • Posts: 1,505

ThrillaMozilla wrote:

How are you going to clean the gutters, though? Putting the camera on a pole is one thing, but I can't imagine putting the tools on a pole too. I'm asking because I also have gutters.

Just get a battery operated motion detector camera, use a large SD card..  Tape it on the pole -- Job done....:-D   L

-- hide signature --

Trying Harder Than Ever ..

Leica Eye's gear list:Leica Eye's gear list
Leica V-Lux 40 Leica D-Lux 7 Nikon D3100 Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS 90D +5 more
mdmarqphoto Contributing Member • Posts: 913

If you don't have a smartphone to use as a monitor, that's and easy and cheap fix. I don't know where you're located, but here in the U.S. you can buy a Tracfone smartphone (pay-as-you-go) and just don't register it for phone service.  You can use it for plenty of other things too, as long as you're using it on wifi.  These phones can be had for $30-40 at the low end.

mdmarqphoto's gear list:mdmarqphoto's gear list
Casio Exilim EX-ZR800 Canon EOS M Canon EOS 90D Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM +5 more
ThrillaMozilla Veteran Member • Posts: 5,214

Leica Eye wrote:

ThrillaMozilla wrote:

How are you going to clean the gutters, though? Putting the camera on a pole is one thing, but I can't imagine putting the tools on a pole too. I'm asking because I also have gutters.

Just get a battery operated motion detector camera, use a large SD card.. Tape it on the pole -- Job done....:-D L

Cameras are shaped wrong to scrape a gutter, and SD cards are too small and fragile. Did you read my question?

ThrillaMozilla's gear list:ThrillaMozilla's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL1
Razor512
Razor512 Contributing Member • Posts: 516

Most modern ILC cameras have a smartphone/ tablet app that will allow you to wirelessly connect to the camera and control it, along with having full live view.

The only issue in those cases is there is a slight delay of around a 1/4 of a second.

Here is an example of how it can work. https://i.imgur.com/IolxYtt.gifv

If just for basic control, such as occasional shots while you work, it can work.

PS, you can customize how the tap to focus works, e.g., if you prefer to have full time AF, AF on tap, or locked AF that runs when you tap a dedicated AF button.

If using it to clean a gutter, just be sure that the camera is properly protected from anything that may fly at it.

IS if you do not need to record video or take pictures, and don't need higher quality video, then you can go with a cheap analog FPV drone camera kit, and attach it to a pole. along with a cheap receiver.

Those often have virtually no delay (at least not anything noticeable), though the quality is similar to using a security camera.

Razor512's gear list:Razor512's gear list
Nikon D5600
Razor512
Razor512 Contributing Member • Posts: 516

Wanted to add one final note for cheap alternatives.

If you have an old webcam that you don't mine using, and have a cheap USB to WiFi camera adapter (they often sell fro about $8-10 or some with those cheap $20 USB endoscopes

They also with USB webcams when used with an OTG cable. I used to use one to monitor a PC while it was running spinrite for data recovery on some old hard drives.

They work pretty well and the WiFi range is decent on them.

If you have no dedicated camera equipment and need remote monitoring, a device like the YPC99 and a old USB webcam will be one of the cheapest way to get something that works especially for temporary use.

PS, if you go the FPV route, this video details some good options. It is the same process but instead of sticking a camera onto a drone, you are sticking it to the end of a pole. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMqoW32qxwY

Razor512's gear list:Razor512's gear list
Nikon D5600
BGD300V1
BGD300V1 Senior Member • Posts: 2,510

flowersnapper44 wrote:

Hi again,

Thanks very much for your very quick responses.

I have not purchased camera yet as unsure which setup will work, but just something cheapish (that works).

My problem is I don't have a phone to use as a monitor, I only have an old style mobile with no apps (it's only for emergencies)

This is why I need a separate monitor with liveview.

Gopro sounds good, but I'm not sure how you get the monitor view from the ground like the skycam model.

I do have other cameras, but too good for sending up on the gutter!

Hoping you can help.

Thanks in advance

Chris

Get a cheap android tablet and use bluetooth or wifi for the connection.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=low+cost+android+tablet&s=price-asc-rank&link_code=qs&qid=1603753297&sourceid=Mozilla-search&tag=mozilla-20&ref=sr_st_price-asc-rank

-- hide signature --

I'm a photographer, Jim, not a graphic artist!
My photo blog: http://birdsnbugs.com
RF Stock Portfolio - http://www.dreamstime.com/resp129611

BGD300V1's gear list:BGD300V1's gear list
Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 J5 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50 +12 more
RUcrAZ
RUcrAZ Veteran Member • Posts: 6,555

Chris,

You lack too many "gadgets" to do what you want. Here is the setup I would recommend, but assuming you had the following "tools" already

1. Your building has (already) Wi-Fi that reaches outdoors reliably.

2. You can borrow or get an older model "Smartphone" that can connect to Wi-Fi (many folks upgrade all the time, and there are lots of spares around, depending on your family and friends type environment.) The smartphone uses the building's Wi-Fi.

3. Buy a wireless, battery powered camera that connects to the same Wi-Fi, thus transmitting live views to the Smartphone. (Then you can use it as a great "monitor" or "security" cam.)

All this sounds complicated, but it's relatively simple once their communication is set up, and would work with your "up the pole" idea.

I use a brand "Wyze" camera (wired for power) but they make a battery-powered, outdoor version as well. (I understand they are weatherproof, i.e, splashproof, too.)

https://wyze.com/wyze-cam-outdoor.html

Bob
Bob Senior Member • Posts: 2,485

Just pay someone to clean your gutters.

petrochemist Senior Member • Posts: 2,788

Bob wrote:

You'd still need the photos to check they're doing it right

petrochemist's gear list:petrochemist's gear list
Pentax K100D Sigma SD14 Pentax K-7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 +15 more
Leica Eye

petrochemist wrote:

Bob wrote:

You'd still need the photos to check they're doing it right

What happened to Trust?

-- hide signature --

RUcrAZ

Try to find, in the Yellow Pages, an ad such as "Trust Gutter Cleaning Service." 

Or, hire a person of Polish ancestry, and strap him with the camera on the hat, and a monitor on his belt, and send him up to do the job. (The OP wanted a Pole.) 

Leica Eye

RUcrAZ wrote:

Try to find, in the Yellow Pages, an ad such as "Trust Gutter Cleaning Service."

Or, hire a person of Polish ancestry, and strap him with the camera on the hat, and a monitor on his belt, and send him up to do the job. (The OP wanted a Pole.)

As a Pole I am offended, only Russians are allowed to pi$$ take the Poles ~    I had my eyes tested last week, the optician asked me to read the chart,  Oh, I know that guy..lol....(a Polish joke) ~

-- hide signature --

RUcrAZ

Absolutely no offense intended. Poles are fine people! (Only poor....they did not have enough money to buy a few vowels for their words, just consonants.) 

BGD300V1
BGD300V1 Senior Member • Posts: 2,510
I wouldn't touch that with a ten foot Pole. (n/t)

Leica Eye wrote:

RUcrAZ wrote:

As a Pole I am offended, only Russians are allowed to pi$$ take the Poles ~ I had my eyes tested last week, the optician asked me to read the chart, Oh, I know that guy..lol....(a Polish joke) ~

-- hide signature --

I'm a photographer, Jim, not a graphic artist!
My photo blog: http://birdsnbugs.com
RF Stock Portfolio - http://www.dreamstime.com/resp129611

BGD300V1's gear list:BGD300V1's gear list
Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 J5 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50 +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads