Buying an XPro 1 today

Started 6 months ago | Questions
Sufstreet
Sufstreet Regular Member • Posts: 284
Buying an XPro 1 today

Hey. I own and love my XT2 and I plan to get the XT3 aswell. I've sold prints and have had many pictures published in magazines, album covers, books etc.

I love analog photography but would like a digital that captures the same vibe. My everyday camera. I will shoot mostly b&w and use my old Leica R lenses and Zuikos. Got the XF35mmf1.4 aswell

Will not use movie mode. Don't care too much about AF speed.

Is the X Pro 1 good enough for fine art A1 prints? 24x33 inches

The X pro 1 looks so nice but is it worth it? Might it be a collectors item in a few years?

@sufstreet

-- hide signature --

Everywhere is home

Sufstreet's gear list:Sufstreet's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-S10 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +3 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
SpeedyNeo
SpeedyNeo Senior Member • Posts: 1,036
Re: Buying an XPro 1 today

Good for 24x33 inches? Yes.

A future collectors' item? Unlikely.

-- hide signature --

Fujifilm X-T3 | XF16mmF1.4 | XF35mmF1.4 | XF90mmF2 | Fujifilm X100V | Fujifilm FinePix XP140

SpeedyNeo's gear list:SpeedyNeo's gear list
Fujifilm XP130 Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR XF 90mm +1 more
R_U_Q_R_U
R_U_Q_R_U Senior Member • Posts: 1,324

SpeedyNeo wrote:

It's in my collection 

-- hide signature --

Sometimes the light's all shinin' on me,
Other times I can barely see.
Lately it occurs to me what a long, strange trip it's been.

R_U_Q_R_U's gear list:R_U_Q_R_U's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR +10 more
yardcoyote Forum Pro • Posts: 13,386

Go for it.  It is such a fun, weird camera, and there is nothing else quite like it.  The files are beautiful.

-- hide signature --

Instagram: @yardcoyote

yardcoyote's gear list:yardcoyote's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100T Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm X-M1 +18 more
CarryLight
CarryLight Forum Member • Posts: 52

Like mentioned in this thread already, the files coming out of the X-pro1 is something else.

CarryLight's gear list:CarryLight's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro3 Canon EOS M100 Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM
Bob Tullis
MOD Bob Tullis Forum Pro • Posts: 40,020

R_U_Q_R_U wrote:

SpeedyNeo wrote:

It's in my collection

Snap!

-- hide signature --

"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't."
------ Chief Dan George, Little Big Man
@ bobtullis.com & flickr.com/photos/bobtullis
My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration.

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-T4
The Davinator
The Davinator Forum Pro • Posts: 24,581
Colour and noise

When I went looking to buy the X-Pro 3, I wanted to know how the colour and noise looked. As a film user, I wanted noise that became softer and more like film grain at higher iso.

The first image compares colour. From this, the version 1 is vibrant...while version 3 looks more of a grey/green instead.

For the second, I wanted to see how noise compared. Version 1 becomes a bit softer...much like denser grain of film. Version three to me is more gritty and actually worse.

In the end, I picked up a second X-Pro 1...and will likely add a third. For my type of work, the version is the best.

The Davinator's gear list:The Davinator's gear list
Canon EOS D30 Nikon D2X Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EOS 10D Fujifilm GFX 50R +16 more
Tom Schum
Tom Schum Forum Pro • Posts: 10,977

I printed a 24"x36" poster print from an X-E1 photo and it turned out great.  X-E1 has the same sensor and processor as the X-Pro1.

At this size, though, choice of raw developer and so on is very important.  Best of luck to you!

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum
Copper: Mankind's favorite electrical conductor

Tom Schum's gear list:Tom Schum's gear list
Sigma dp0 Quattro Fujifilm X30 Panasonic ZS100 Sigma sd Quattro Fujifilm X-E1 +15 more
Valdai21 Regular Member • Posts: 322

X-pro1 is a nice camera. It's not fast to operate but the sensor is amazing and it's quite reliable.

Be aware that most of them are either used and abused or sold at high prices due to a kind of collector value they don't really have. Otherwise you can make a great deal.

Threaded Veteran Member • Posts: 3,481

The X-Pro1 is a nice camera - I’ve owned a few of them - but the IQ mystique is somewhat overblown and it can be very frustrating to use, due to the slow and erratic AF and many other quirks/shortcomings.

Do I think it’s a future collectible, no, I think like most modern consumer electronics it’s ultimately headed for landfill. X-Pro1 shutters do not last forever and I imagine repairs are impossible now. The X-Pro2 is a far better and more durable camera and perfects the X-Pro concept, so that’s the older model I’d “collect” if I was looking now.

Threaded's gear list:Threaded's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR
biza43 Forum Pro • Posts: 13,324

It is certainly a good camera even today. And since you do not mind AF, it is quite appropriate for your purposes.

Even AF-wise, there was a big improvement back in the day via firmware updates.

-- hide signature --

www.paulobizarro.com
http://blog.paulobizarro.com/

biza43's gear list:biza43's gear list
Fujifilm X-S10 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR +1 more
Pan50 Contributing Member • Posts: 650

I bought one this spring after loving my XE1 and X100S. Sadly, the XPro1 and I never warmed to each other. The AF is so slow as to be useless. I didn’t like the OVF as over half of it was obscured by any lens you mounted on the camera. Image quality was good. But the ergos were terrible for me.

I appreciate that people love the XPro1 but it wasn’t for me.

Pan50's gear list:Pan50's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR +9 more
Mikael SB
Mikael SB Regular Member • Posts: 103

I think the X-Pro 1 is going to feel disapointing coming from the XT-2 or XT-3. It's fairly slow and unintuitive to use, lacking a control joystick, got a fairly messy interface and aged LCD panel and a real poor EVF screen. I bought one super cheap a year or two ago but sold it off again in just two weeks. It was just too slow and clumsy. Fuji made a great leap in usability with their second generation X-cameras.

If you like the looks of the camera, I say hunt for a second hand X-Pro 2 for cheap and you'll be getting a much better device for not that much more money. Or you can go in big, knowing you get excellent stuff and get the X-Pro 3.

As a collectors item X-Pro 1 is dead weight.

Mikael SB's gear list:Mikael SB's gear list
Nikon Z6 Sony a5000 Nikon AF-S 105mm F1.4E ED Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 +7 more
Foskito
Foskito Regular Member • Posts: 442

I had an XE1 - same sensor as XP1- and the IQ of my XT3 is vastly superior in every dept. But yes, you can print big with 16mp.

A few years ago you could buy an XP1 for a very low price, now they are getting more expensive and most are in rough condition.

I would put the money for the XP1 and the XP3 you are planning to buy and look after the XP3 🤔

Foskito's gear list:Foskito's gear list
Leica M9-P Leica M8 Sony a7R II Fujifilm X-T3 Canon EOS 5D +11 more
brulain Forum Member • Posts: 57

Bought mine 8 years ago and still use it today with 35/1.4 and 23/1.4. In my opinion its main lacks are poor AF, poor EVF and no diopter ajustment.

brulain's gear list:brulain's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3
jjz2 Senior Member • Posts: 2,959

I'd for the X Pro 2 instead, big jump in sensor IQ, EVF and AF from that gen to gen. X Pro 2 also adds a dedicated ISO dial and WR with the f2 lenses if you don't want to block your OVF.

Back to your question, yes it's good enough for prints.

jjz2's gear list:jjz2's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR +2 more
El Jeffe Contributing Member • Posts: 553

Current collectors item.

like the no BS simplicity of it. Be sure to install latest firmware for best performance. I bought one new when they first came out and the AF was so terrible I sent it back. I got a used one two summers ago and the AF is very much improved. 
One of my favorite lenses on it is the 14mm f/2.8 because it fills the entire OFV.

I would sell my XT2, but not the X-Pro 1.

Be careful though. I read somewhere Fujifilm will not service them anymore.

El Jeffe's gear list:El Jeffe's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Panasonic GH5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS +9 more
Robert A Senior Member • Posts: 2,076

CarryLight wrote:

Like mentioned in this thread already, the files coming out of the X-pro1 is something else.

Are the files any different than the two cameras I've listed below?

-- hide signature --

Robert A
Fuji XT-2
Fuji X-E2
Epson 3880

Robert A's gear list:Robert A's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2
jslade797 Regular Member • Posts: 266

I did this last year and wrote a post about it (with some images) here: https://www.jonathanslade.net/post/in-with-the-old

tl;dr - Lovely output, though easy enough to replicate in post with other sensors. As others have pointed out, there are plenty of limitations (focus point moving, terrible EVF and poor AF the worst offenders) so figure out if you can live with them first!

-- hide signature --

Instagram - @jontyslade

jslade797's gear list:jslade797's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm X-T2 +2 more
looneytongueben New Member • Posts: 8

jslade797 wrote:

I did this last year and wrote a post about it (with some images) here: https://www.jonathanslade.net/post/in-with-the-old

tl;dr - Lovely output, though easy enough to replicate in post with other sensors. As others have pointed out, there are plenty of limitations (focus point moving, terrible EVF and poor AF the worst offenders) so figure out if you can live with them first!

Thanks for the review!

I don't have any experience using the Fujifilm system but considering the 16-55 f2.8 with the older sensor or a couple prime lens (16 f2.8 or 23 f2) with the new sensor. Is there any good/ bad reasons for choosing either?

Ideally would like something for documentary/ street/ landscape and possibly time lapse stuff. I can't decide so any advice would be really helpful.

Thanks!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads