Have you noticed that you can connect your phone to the R5 while it’s turned off?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Dan-Z Regular Member • Posts: 131
Have you noticed that you can connect your phone to the R5 while it’s turned off?

As mentioned in the subject, I can connect my phone to the camera using the app and browse photos even when the camera is turned off. Is this normal? And if it is, how much of the battery is being used for it to transmit this Bluetooth or wifi handshake signal? And is there a way to have Bluetooth and/or wifi turn off automatically whenever  I turn off my camera without having to remember to go into the menu to turn it off each time I turn off the camera?

Dan-Z's gear list:Dan-Z's gear list
Canon EOS R5
Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
RDKirk Forum Pro • Posts: 15,887
Re: Have you noticed that you can connect your phone to the R5 while it’s turned off?

Dan-Z wrote:

As mentioned in the subject, I can connect my phone to the camera using the app and browse photos even when the camera is turned off. Is this normal? And if it is, how much of the battery is being used for it to transmit this Bluetooth or wifi handshake signal? And is there a way to have Bluetooth and/or wifi turn off automatically whenever I turn off my camera without having to remember to go into the menu to turn it off each time I turn off the camera?

There is a setting that turns that capability on or off in the R, with or without Bluetooth and/or wifi being turned off with it.

I expect there is such a setting in the R5 as well.

-- hide signature --

RDKirk
'TANSTAAFL: The only unbreakable rule in photography.'

RDKirk's gear list:RDKirk's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 +7 more
PicPocket Veteran Member • Posts: 4,115
Re: Have you noticed that you can connect your phone to the R5 while it’s turned off?

I use it frequently to quickly download selected proofs to share from phone, and leave raw workflow till I reach home. I keep BT on, wifi off, and it doesn't seem to have any obvious impact on battery life

-- hide signature --
 PicPocket's gear list:PicPocket's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM +11 more
PhotoKhan Forum Pro • Posts: 11,473
Are you sure?

I can connect my phone to the camera via the ever-active BT connection if the camera is is sleep mode, not when it is off, via the On/Off button.

If you can wake it via BT when it is actually off-off, it is news to me and I would like to know how you've achieved it, configuration-wise.

In my case, when it is actually off-off, although the BT symbol is visible in the camera's LCD, the app still shows a request to turn the camera on.

PK

-- hide signature --

“Loose praise may feed my ego but constructive criticism advances my skills”
-------------------------------------------------
http://www.humbertoborgesfotografia.com/
http://www.pbase.com/photokhan
(PBase Supporter)

OP Dan-Z Regular Member • Posts: 131
Re: Are you sure?

PhotoKhan wrote:

I can connect my phone to the camera via the ever-active BT connection if the camera is is sleep mode, not when it is off, via the On/Off button.

If you can wake it via BT when it is actually off-off, it is news to me and I would like to know how you've achieved it, configuration-wise.

In my case, when it is actually off-off, although the BT symbol is visible in the camera's LCD, the app still shows a request to turn the camera on.

PK

Hmm, pretty sure I just used the default configurations, but I've only trued using the app to view images while the camera is off. Is this what you tested? And I'm not sure if that mode uses Bluetooth or Wifi. It's a cool feature, because it lets me browse my photos without even having to remove my camera from my camera bag. But as much as I like it, I'd like the option to have it turn off when the camera is off to save on battery life.

Canon EOS R5

PicPocket wrote:

I use it frequently to quickly download selected proofs to share from phone, and leave raw workflow till I reach home. I keep BT on, wifi off, and it doesn't seem to have any obvious impact on battery life

Ok I wasn't sure if image browsing used Bluetooth or Wifi, but you're confirming this only uses BT. I still think it must use up at the battery if it's constantly sending a bluetooth handshake signal. Maybe it doesn't use much power, but if for example I were to leave my camera in my bag for a month, would I come back to a depleted battery?

Canon EOS R5
PMUK
PMUK Senior Member • Posts: 1,173

Dan-Z wrote:

PicPocket wrote:

Ok I wasn't sure if image browsing used Bluetooth or Wifi, but you're confirming this only uses BT. I still think it must use up at the battery if it's constantly sending a bluetooth handshake signal. Maybe it doesn't use much power, but if for example I were to leave my camera in my bag for a month, would I come back to a depleted battery?

Hi Dan-Z,

Excerpt from the manual, make of it what you will...

Phil

PMUK's gear list:PMUK's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony RX100 VI Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R5 +9 more

Dan-Z wrote:

PhotoKhan wrote:

PK

Hmm, pretty sure I just used the default configurations, but I've only trued using the app to view images while the camera is off. Is this what you tested? And I'm not sure if that mode uses Bluetooth or Wifi. It's a cool feature, because it lets me browse my photos without even having to remove my camera from my camera bag. But as much as I like it, I'd like the option to have it turn off when the camera is off to save on battery life.

But is your On/Off button physically "Off" when you wake the the camera via BT, the way you described?

PK

-- hide signature --

(PBase Supporter)

JoWinter Regular Member • Posts: 206

PhotoKhan wrote:

But is your On/Off button physically "Off" when you wake the the camera via BT, the way you described?

Yes, this is the way it works on the R (I don't have the R5). Turned off via the power on-off switch and still it wakes up when use the app to connect.

I find this convenient if I want to browse (and perhaps ) the pictures I've taken when the camera is already in the bag. Very cool on public transport or in a café (where taking out the camera might be inconvienet and/or attract the wrong kind of attention).

JoWinter wrote:

PhotoKhan wrote:

Yes, this is the way it works on the R (I don't have the R5). Turned off via the power on-off switch and still it wakes up when use the app to connect.

I find this convenient if I want to browse (and perhaps ) the pictures I've taken when the camera is already in the bag. Very cool on public transport or in a café (where taking out the camera might be inconvienet and/or attract the wrong kind of attention).

Thanks but I need to positively know if he is getting that behavior from the R5.

PK

-- hide signature --

(PBase Supporter)

ChrisJSLH Regular Member • Posts: 183

What I did notice today is that Eco mode makes the connection to the Canon Connect app via Bluetooth unreliable. I was using it for geotagging and connection to the app would frequently be lost and not reconnect. There is nothing documented about the eco mode affecting BT connections in the manual so I will do some more testing to confirm.

ChrisJSLH's gear list:ChrisJSLH's gear list
Sony RX100 III Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 24-70mm F2.8L IS USM +1 more

PhotoKhan wrote:

JoWinter wrote:

PhotoKhan wrote:

Thanks but I need to positively know if he is getting that behavior from the R5.

PK

Yes, when the power switch is physically "off" on the R5, I can still connect to it via my phone.

Canon EOS R5

PMUK wrote:

Dan-Z wrote:

PicPocket wrote:

Ok I wasn't sure if image browsing used Bluetooth or Wifi, but you're confirming this only uses BT. I still think it must use up at the battery if it's constantly sending a bluetooth handshake signal. Maybe it doesn't use much power, but if for example I were to leave my camera in my bag for a month, would I come back to a depleted battery?

Hi Dan-Z,

Excerpt from the manual, make of it what you will...

Phil

Thanks, yeah not sure what they mean by auto-power off, this sounds like standby mode. Anyway, from what others wrote, I guess my camera is not bugged or anything and this is how it's supposed to work. I'll just have to try and remember to turn off Bluetooth in the menu or use Airplane mode when I'm not using the camera.

Canon EOS R5

Dan-Z wrote:

PhotoKhan wrote:

JoWinter wrote:

PhotoKhan wrote:

PK

Yes, when the power switch is physically "off" on the R5, I can still connect to it via my phone.

Thanks.

I'll dive into the manual and menus to try and see why mine does not work the way you described.

The caution note about bluetooth and residual power consumption would indicate that mine is the one working correctly, since it does not mention "physically off". Auto Power Off puts the camera on standby and does not turn the camera off-off.

Meanwhile, are you on iOs or Android?

PK

-- hide signature --

(PBase Supporter)

Re: yes, 100% sure

I use it very regularly, and in fact had the same question when I started out. So I looked and made sure I wasn't misunderstanding it

This is the "off" I am talking about

There aren't many settings, this is how mine is set up

Communication settings

Before being connected

Connected over BT, by tapping the little icon next to BT icon. Wifi is off.

After being connected, I can tap images on camera to browse and download jpg proofs (I shoot RAW)

Remote live view doesn't work when camera switch is at off position

Just be be clear, this is all on R5

Edit: on Android with phone supporting Bluetooth Low Energy

-- hide signature --
Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM +11 more
Hsd1965 Junior Member • Posts: 42

For the R the setting is in the Bluetooth section for a Smartphone connection. There is an option “Stay connected while off”. This option toggles the behaviour for me.

Think it should be the same for R5.

Also, the fact that you can still connect to the camera using WiFi while it is off is explicitly stated in the camera’s manual. (Page 584).

PicPocket wrote:

Remote live view doesn't work when camera switch is at off position

Exacly. That's what happens with mine.

The camera must have gone into Auto Power Off by itself for the bluetooth-initiated remote transfers or camera control functions to be awaken remotely.

If the power switch in my camera is physically in the "Off" position, I get this very same message.

PK

-- hide signature --

(PBase Supporter)

PhotoKhan wrote:

The camera must have gone into Auto Power Off by itself for the bluetooth-initiated remote transfers or camera control functions to be awaken remotely.

If the power switch in my camera is physically in the "Off" position, I get this very same message.

Just to be clear, that message only shows up for camera control for me. Browsing and transferring images works even with camera switch on off position. Perhaps there is a setting in the smartphone pairing section like the other poster said, I am not with the camera right now to confirm. But I am sure I can browse and transfer photos fine over BT connection from an android phone when the R5 power switch is in off position

-- hide signature --

PicPocket wrote:

PhotoKhan wrote:

Just to be clear, that message only shows up for camera control for me. Browsing and transferring images works even with camera switch on off position. Perhaps there is a setting in the smartphone pairing section like the other poster said, I am not with the camera right now to confirm. But I am sure I can browse and transfer photos fine over BT connection from an android phone when the R5 power switch is in off position

I get the message "Connection failed. Try again, or try after turning the camera on" if I try to access the "Images on Camera" function on Camera Connect app with the On/Off button physically in the "Off" position.

It works beautifully if it was Auto Power Off that put the camera to sleep, though.

I am starting to suspect it is a specific Android device BT thing and not camera configuration related. (I am using a Samsung Tab S4).

PK

-- hide signature --

(PBase Supporter)

PhotoKhan wrote:

Dan-Z wrote:

PhotoKhan wrote:

JoWinter wrote:

PhotoKhan wrote:

PK

Thanks.

I'll dive into the manual and menus to try and see why mine does not work the way you described.

The caution note about bluetooth and residual power consumption would indicate that mine is the one working correctly, since it does not mention "physically off". Auto Power Off puts the camera on standby and does not turn the camera off-off.

Meanwhile, are you on iOs or Android?

PK

IOS. But note that it doesn't always work. I just tried it now, my camera has been powered off and I haven't touched it for 2 days.  First attempt, connection failed. So I brought the camera closer to me, as it was in another room. As soon as I click on "Images on Camera", the camera makes a sound like the shutter opening, but not as loud. But the connection failed again. But I'm obviously making a connection as I hear the sound, so I try a third time to see what that sound is, and this time it asks me if I want to join my camera and then the photos appear.  I have the same experience in the field with the camera powered on, for example when I want to use it for remote live viewing, it's always hit and miss. I hope they release a patch to make the connection more reliable.

Canon EOS R5
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads