Wide angle prime FX lens for Nikon D850

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
Jon1346 Junior Member • Posts: 27
Wide angle prime FX lens for Nikon D850

Which wide angle Nikon prime lens would you recommend, given the considerations below?

I’m looking for a wide-angle FX prime lens for landscapes primarily, for use with my Nikon D850.

I’m not interested in 3rd party lenses, as I would prefer to stay with Nikon lenses.

I have a 24-70 2.8E but no other wide angle FX lenses. (I own a Tokina 11-20 DX lens for my D500, a 16-80 2.8-4.0 DX also for my D500, and a 35mm 1.8 DX for my D500).

I reviewed most of my landscape photos with my 24-70 and I tend to use the longer end for my landscapes, so I was more inclined to buy the 28mm 1.4E than the 24mm 1.4G. But, I’d also consider the 35mm 1.4G, or possibly a 1.8 version of any of those focal lengths, but I know the quality of the 1.8 lenses is not on par with the 1.4 lenses (though they may be sharper than the 1.4 lenses in some instances but I heard that the 28mm 1.8G has a severe focus shift).

Ultimately, I want colors that are rich and “pop.” Bokeh is less important for landscape photos, though if I bought a 28mm or 35mm lens, I may take some photos with portrait subjects in the foreground for which a nice, non-distracting bokeh is an added benefit. I have not been as impressed with my 24-70E, in terms of colors or sharpness, as I expected for that price.

If I could also use a new wide angle prime for astrophotography, that would also be a benefit, but that would be a secondary (or tertiary) objective.

Jon1346's gear list:Jon1346's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +8 more
Nikon D500 Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
patricksmith32
patricksmith32 Contributing Member • Posts: 743
Re: Wide angle prime FX lens for Nikon D850

The 28mm f1.4E is by far the best wide angle lens in the market from any brand. It’s sharpness is absolutely stunning and so are the colors, contrast and saturation. The other lenses you mention can’t touch it, it’s on a whole another level. A league of its own if you will. Now if you don’t have the budget the 20mm f1.8G and 24mm f1.8G are good lenses, some would say excellent. However they fall far short of that 28mm f1.4E lens.

patricksmith32's gear list:patricksmith32's gear list
Nikon D5 Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR Nikon 24-70mm F2.8E ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm F4E FL ED VR Nikon D500 +2 more
Timotis77
Timotis77 Contributing Member • Posts: 578

Jon1346 wrote:

Which wide angle Nikon prime lens would you recommend, given the considerations below?

I’m looking for a wide-angle FX prime lens for landscapes primarily, for use with my Nikon D850.

I’m not interested in 3rd party lenses, as I would prefer to stay with Nikon lenses.

I have a 24-70 2.8E but no other wide angle FX lenses. (I own a Tokina 11-20 DX lens for my D500, a 16-80 2.8-4.0 DX also for my D500, and a 35mm 1.8 DX for my D500).

I reviewed most of my landscape photos with my 24-70 and I tend to use the longer end for my landscapes, so I was more inclined to buy the 28mm 1.4E than the 24mm 1.4G. But, I’d also consider the 35mm 1.4G, or possibly a 1.8 version of any of those focal lengths, but I know the quality of the 1.8 lenses is not on par with the 1.4 lenses (though they may be sharper than the 1.4 lenses in some instances but I heard that the 28mm 1.8G has a severe focus shift).

Ultimately, I want colors that are rich and “pop.” Bokeh is less important for landscape photos, though if I bought a 28mm or 35mm lens, I may take some photos with portrait subjects in the foreground for which a nice, non-distracting bokeh is an added benefit. I have not been as impressed with my 24-70E, in terms of colors or sharpness, as I expected for that price.

If I could also use a new wide angle prime for astrophotography, that would also be a benefit, but that would be a secondary (or tertiary) objective.

Nikon 20mm 1.8 G -

I'd also say the Sigma 24-35mm f/2 - (correct, it's not a prime, but it is 3 primes in one - 24mm - 28mm - 35mm - yes it's third party, but it's a brilliant lens for landscape in my book)

Michael Benveniste
Michael Benveniste Veteran Member • Posts: 5,510

Jon1346 wrote:

I have not been as impressed with my 24-70E, in terms of colors or sharpness, as I expected for that price.

If you're not satisfied with your 24-70mm at typical landscape apertures, it could be your copy of the lens, your technique, or your expectations.  While I'd expect more issues with distortion with the zoom, at f/8-f/11 I have no complaints about color or sharpness with my Tamron 24-70mm or Nikon 24-120mm f/4.  For landscape, the 24-70E should be better than either one.

I own exactly one Nikon wide prime which hasn't been discontinued, and that's the 28mm f/1.8.  I've only used it sparingly for landscapes -- I tend to use my wide angle zooms instead.  I've been able to detect some focus shift when used near the minimum focus distance, so if I was that concerned about a particular spot in the foreground, I'd switch to live view.

I can't speak to astrophotography at all, sorry!

-- hide signature --

Light travels at 2.13085531 × 10^14 smoots per fortnight. Catch some today!

Michael Benveniste's gear list:Michael Benveniste's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Nikon D7200 +43 more
sjstremb
sjstremb Contributing Member • Posts: 565

I have a 20mm f 1.8 Nikkor and for landscape work its a terrific lens. I've also used it a lot in street work during Mardi gras in New Orleans so its good for in close up work as well.

sjstremb's gear list:sjstremb's gear list
Sony RX100 III Fujifilm X70 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Nikon D850 +20 more
primeshooter
primeshooter Veteran Member • Posts: 6,130

Jon1346 wrote:

I own a mixture of lenses, I would look at the sigma 35mm 1.4 art, and their 24mm 1.4 art before the nikkor (which I own). It's better for landscape, and astro. This comes down to the FL you want to purchase mostly, but I would not give nikon the money for their 24 or 35mm 1.4 lenses (esp the 35 which really is eclipsed by sigma's version and it's a third the price).

nbirkett Senior Member • Posts: 1,907

For landscapes, where you normally stop down to the f/8 range, is there a big advantage to having an f/1.4 lens vs f/1.8? The f/1.4 lenses are a lot more expensive.  Just curious what the benefits would be to justify the extra cost - for landscapes.

-- hide signature --

Nick

nbirkett's gear list:nbirkett's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon D90 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +6 more
Cineast Regular Member • Posts: 422

I´d recommend Zeiss Milvus 18 2.8 or Zeiss Milvus 15 2.8. Both are great and there is no contender in the Nikon FX lens lineup in my opinion.

Hilifer
Hilifer Senior Member • Posts: 1,237

Cineast wrote:

I´d recommend Zeiss Milvus 18 2.8 or Zeiss Milvus 15 2.8. Both are great and there is no contender in the Nikon FX lens lineup in my opinion.

I was going to suggest the 2.8/15 Distagon ZF.2, though, if I was buying today, I’d opt for the Milvus. Lately, I’ve been shooting a 21/1.4 VM on my Z7, so the Zeiss has been spending time in the cabinet. I also have the 2/25 Distagon ZF.2 which gets used more often on my D850 than the 15 which is a bit bulky to tote around.

-- hide signature --

Moretti
"Things are more like they are now than they've ever been before."

Hilifer's gear list:Hilifer's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon D1X Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +15 more
patricksmith32
patricksmith32 Contributing Member • Posts: 743

My copy of the 24-70mm f2.8E VR is sharp corner to corner at f/2.8 all day everyday. I know I have one of the best copies out there, because I’ve had arguments here with others before about the comment above and proved them wrong. As in I posted proof at f/2.8 and they agreed with me. So your lens is definitely in need of adjustment or repair and needs to go to Nikon. The 24-70mm f2.8E VR is or should be very sharp at f/4 to f/8 no doubt about it. Also landscapes is kind of a genre it excels at so definitely something wrong. I’d send it in and see if they can adjust or fix it. It’s a great lens if you have a good copy, apparently I got a really good copy and no it’s not for sale, like ever, lol!

patricksmith32's gear list:patricksmith32's gear list
Nikon D5 Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR Nikon 24-70mm F2.8E ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm F4E FL ED VR Nikon D500 +2 more
sjstremb
sjstremb Contributing Member • Posts: 565

As they say, individual results may vary so please take my comments here with that understanding. I was lucky enough to get a loaner 21mm Zeiss for a D810 I had at the time and photographed a week of Mardi Gras in New Orleans with it, switching off with a 20mm Nikon 1.8 I owned. For the bulk of the work I do, street photography and landscape, where the lens was stopped down usually to f8, in MY experience, I was not seeing enough of a difference to warrant the extra $$ a Zeiss lens would have cost me. Yes, there is a difference in the image quality but usually in post I could get them pretty close. the biggest difference between the two was what I might call mid level contrast. Perhaps wide open there is a more noticeable difference but I rarely if even shoot that was so my advice is to consider your own individual working process.

sjstremb's gear list:sjstremb's gear list
Sony RX100 III Fujifilm X70 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Nikon D850 +20 more
Hilifer
Hilifer Senior Member • Posts: 1,237

sjstremb wrote:

As they say, individual results may vary so please take my comments here with that understanding. I was lucky enough to get a loaner 21mm Zeiss for a D810 I had at the time and photographed a week of Mardi Gras in New Orleans with it, switching off with a 20mm Nikon 1.8 I owned. For the bulk of the work I do, street photography and landscape, where the lens was stopped down usually to f8, in MY experience, I was not seeing enough of a difference to warrant the extra $$ a Zeiss lens would have cost me. Yes, there is a difference in the image quality but usually in post I could get them pretty close. the biggest difference between the two was what I might call mid level contrast. Perhaps wide open there is a more noticeable difference but I rarely if even shoot that was so my advice is to consider your own individual working process.

Your points are well taken. I owned the Nikon 20/1.8 at one time and found it to be a great value for the money, for the limited landscape shooting I do. However, I eventually sold it to purchase a Nikon 20-35/2.8 for my first trip to Havana in 2016 for street photography, coupled with my D750 at the time. In 2018 I sold the 20-35 when I bought my D850 and picked up a Voigtlander 20/4, again for street, paired with their 40/2 Ultron. I’ve gravitated toward faster glass, too, because I usually shoot more wide open, though it’s a challenge with hyperfocal, etc.

My appreciation for Zeiss and Voigtlander glass lies primarily in their ergonomics (weight and feel), as much as it is about IQ. To compensate for the cost, I usually buy used which brings the cost closer to (new) Nikon gear. I’m pretty invested now with a very nice Voigtlander lineup, so unlikely I’ll bring home another Zeiss lens anytime soon.

-- hide signature --

Moretti
"Things are more like they are now than they've ever been before."

Hilifer's gear list:Hilifer's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon D1X Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +15 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads