Any way to go above 1/4" in interval mode on a ZV-1? (electronic shutter)

Started 4 months ago | Questions
jackiekan New Member • Posts: 15
Any way to go above 1/4" in interval mode on a ZV-1? (electronic shutter)

As far as I can tell on the ZV1, for regular shooting you can set the electronic shutter to stay open for up to 30", but as soon as you turn on interval mode it gets limited to 1/4", is there any way around this? Seems unlikely but I figured I'd ask, if there's no fix, then does anyone know why it's only limited in interval mode?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony ZV-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
sludge21017
sludge21017 Senior Member • Posts: 2,662
Re: Any way to go above 1/4" in interval mode on a ZV-1? (electronic shutter)

Probably some hold over from movies being limited to 1/4 SS minimum?

Sony RX0M2 limited to 1/4 SS in ALL modes, even photo.

sludge21017

Are you able to change shutter?

https://support.d-imaging.sony.co.jp/support/tutorial/dc/zv-1/en/08.php

• [Shutter Type in Interval]: Sets the shutter type during interval shooting. ([Mechanical Shutter]/[Electronic Shutter])
OP jackiekan New Member • Posts: 15

sludge21017 wrote:

• [Shutter Type in Interval]: Sets the shutter type during interval shooting. ([Mechanical Shutter]/[Electronic Shutter])

I'm able to use the mechanical shutter yeah, just when it comes to longer time-lapses I'd prefer to not wear out the shutter if at all possible. Might see if I can try an external intervalometer or something.

sludge21017

jackiekan wrote:

sludge21017 wrote:

I'm able to use the mechanical shutter yeah, just when it comes to longer time-lapses I'd prefer to not wear out the shutter if at all possible. Might see if I can try an external intervalometer or something.

I found this for ILCE-9α9.

They don't allow bulb in these modes either. Internet doesn't appear to any answers.

Good mystery.

https://helpguide.sony.net/ilc/1650/v1/en/contents/TP0001491332.html

Enders Shadow
Enders Shadow Veteran Member • Posts: 3,328

jackiekan wrote:

First, the camera uses a leaf shutter and doesn't have the limited life of focal plane shutters.

As to why the 1/4 sec shutter speed limit when doing interval shooting, it sounds like a programming mistake. The camera will use Long Exposure NR at shutter speeds equal to or longer than 1/3 sec. LENR is normally disabled when e-shutter is selected. But, there seems to be a mistake when interval mode is in use. It is preventing shutter speeds longer than 1/4 sec from being used. There isn't a technical reason I can think of why e-shutter should be limited. Interval mode is a new feature for Sony and there might be some confusion in the correct implementation.

You did select e-shutter in the interval mode menu? What shooting interval are you using?

If you use mechanical shutter, LENR could kick in and require twice the exposure period. If that becomes a problem, you may need to disable LENR. You will start to see more hot pixels at longer exposure times without LENR.

-- hide signature --

Phil

Enders Shadow's gear list:Enders Shadow's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Olympus Tough TG-3 Fujifilm X30 Canon EOS 7D Mark II +20 more
john Clinch
john Clinch Veteran Member • Posts: 4,291

Enders Shadow wrote:

jackiekan wrote:

First, the camera uses a leaf shutter and doesn't have the limited life of focal plane shutters.

As to why the 1/4 sec shutter speed limit when doing interval shooting, it sounds like a programming mistake. The camera will use Long Exposure NR at shutter speeds equal to or longer than 1/3 sec. LENR is normally disabled when e-shutter is selected. But, there seems to be a mistake when interval mode is in use. It is preventing shutter speeds longer than 1/4 sec from being used. There isn't a technical reason I can think of why e-shutter should be limited. Interval mode is a new feature for Sony and there might be some confusion in the correct implementation.

You did select e-shutter in the interval mode menu? What shooting interval are you using?

If you use mechanical shutter, LENR could kick in and require twice the exposure period. If that becomes a problem, you may need to disable LENR. You will start to see more hot pixels at longer exposure times without LENR.

You can't do LENR without a mechanical shutter because you need to be able to take a dark frame to subtract from exposure. As the sensor is likely to run hotter in a long sequence of exposures then maybe then maybe they decide that LENR was needed from 1/4 of a second. I can't see the being a mistake as its in multiple models

Me I'd just use the mechanical shutter

Enders Shadow
Enders Shadow Veteran Member • Posts: 3,328

john Clinch wrote:

You can't do LENR without a mechanical shutter because you need to be able to take a dark frame to subtract from exposure. As the sensor is likely to run hotter in a long sequence of exposures then maybe then maybe they decide that LENR was needed from 1/4 of a second. I can't see the being a mistake as its in multiple models

Me I'd just use the mechanical shutter

But they allow e-shutter to do up to 30 sec exposures when not in interval mode.

It doesn't matter if m-shutter or e-shutter is used, the fixed pattern noise from long exposures will be identical. When e-shutter is selected, most cameras disable LENR as it requires closing the m-shutter in order to take the dark frame. In most other modes this is the case. But they make a undocumented exception in interval mode. They prevent exposures longer than 1/4 sec when e-shutter is selected. If they were consistent, they would allow 30 sec exposures in interval mode with LENR automatically locked out.

Hot pixels do start to become a issue with exposures longer than about 0.25 sec. It should be up to the user if they want to use LENR. If they want to use that option, then they would use m-shutter with LENR enabled. But e-shutter shouldn't be limited just because you're shooting a timelapse sequence. If you used a external intervalometer, you wouldn't have the restriction.

But as you mentioned, I wouldn't worry about shutter wear and would simply switch to m-shutter and consider if I should disable LENR.

Update - In digging through the specs, I found another reason for a 1/4 sec shutter speed limit.

When ISO sensitivity is higher than IS0 3200, the slowest shutter speed limit is 1/4 sec. Manual setting of ISO sensitivity to lower than ISO 3200 is necessary to set shutter speed slower than 1/4. (except DSC-RX0, DSC-RX1, DSC-RX10, DSC-RX100 series models).

-- hide signature --

Phil

Enders Shadow's gear list:Enders Shadow's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Olympus Tough TG-3 Fujifilm X30 Canon EOS 7D Mark II +20 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads