Started 3 months ago | Discussions
A-Marc
A-Marc Contributing Member • Posts: 689
135 or 35 mm

i got GAS and cant decide....

135 GM or Sigma 35/1.2

what would you do.....

A-Marc's gear list:A-Marc's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a7R IV Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 +3 more
trainerKEN Senior Member • Posts: 1,375
Re: 135 or 35 mm

A-Marc wrote:

135 GM or Sigma 35/1.2

what would you do.....

that's a tough one... 7-8 years ago, I would have said 135mm F1.8 hands down because back then... I LOVED the Zeiss 135mm F1.8 on A-mount... But while I "DID" recently picked up the GM 135 (because of an offer from Sony for retail employees that I couldn't pass on), my taste and style have changed... and I would take the Sigma 35mm F1.2 ART if there was a deal like what I got from Sony.  I've only tried using the GM 135 once on a photoshoot... and it didn't last long before switching back to the 55mm F1.8 or GM85 because I had to be back up sooooo far from the model that I was yelling just to communicate with her.  (it was for full body shots)

trainerKEN's gear list:trainerKEN's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Sony a7R IV Sony a9 II Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +11 more
ChapelThrill23 Senior Member • Posts: 1,163

I love 35mm lenses. So much so that I have two 35mm primes. That said I love 135s even more. I'd absolutely much rather have that 135. I've rented the Sigma 35 1.2. I like it and its excellent but i is a brick and I'd never trade my Batis 135 for it. Maybe you can find a Batis 135 or Sigma 135 used for a good price and a  used Sony 35 1.8 and get both focal lengths covered really well for a similar outlay.

ahaslett
ahaslett Veteran Member • Posts: 7,279

A-Marc wrote:

135 GM or Sigma 35/1.2

what would you do.....

Both, starting with 135mm.

Andrew

-- hide signature --

Infinite are the arguments of mages. Truth is a jewel with many facets. Ursula K LeGuin
Please feel free to edit any images that I post

ahaslett's gear list:ahaslett's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Olympus E-M1 Sony a7R Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +27 more
PWPhotography Forum Pro • Posts: 10,775

A-Marc wrote:

135 GM or Sigma 35/1.2

what would you do.....

Depend on which FL you shoot most.

Sigma 35/1.2 Art is great for indoor and group of portrait, very sharp. 135 GM is one of the sharpest FF lenses, great for outdoor portrait, sort of sport etc.

I have sort of both, Sigma 35/1.4 Art (that will be replaced by 35/1.2 Art eventually) and 135 GM.

PWPhotography's gear list:PWPhotography's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +18 more
AlephNull Senior Member • Posts: 2,080

A-Marc wrote:

135 GM or Sigma 35/1.2

what would you do.....

The Sigma is a lot cheaper, but the Sony 135 GM is a magnificent lens. I really enjoy using mine. It's especially good on an A7R IV.

AlephNull's gear list:AlephNull's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Sony a9 II Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 100mm F2.8 GM +4 more
Roentarre
Roentarre Forum Member • Posts: 63

From your own flickr gallery, it seems 35mm is your focal length.

135mm is great but it is a creative lens in my opinion. I tend to use it for landscape shots or commercial work.

I prefer the look from Voigtlander 35mm f1.2 though

theoverratedphotog
theoverratedphotog Senior Member • Posts: 1,018
Both - choosing is like choosing which child you love more

I have both, the images have come out of both are incredible and I would find it hard to choose. The 35 would get my pick, but I honestly think you need both. If I had to pick two focal lengths, these would be them.

This is the 35

This is the 135mm

theoverratedphotog's gear list:theoverratedphotog's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Sony a7R III Sony a7 III Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +11 more
mujana Veteran Member • Posts: 7,232

A-Marc wrote:

135 GM or Sigma 35/1.2

what would you do.....

135 GM...100%...without any hesitation.

mujana's gear list:mujana's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sony a7R IV Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 +6 more
kelly15 Contributing Member • Posts: 830

Both, with nothing else.

35 DN at first, than 135 GM.

kelly15's gear list:kelly15's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a6400 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM +5 more
Peter Foiles
Peter Foiles Senior Member • Posts: 1,952

trainerKEN wrote:

A-Marc wrote:

135 GM or Sigma 35/1.2

what would you do.....

that's a tough one... 7-8 years ago, I would have said 135mm F1.8 hands down because back then... I LOVED the Zeiss 135mm F1.8 on A-mount... But while I "DID" recently picked up the GM 135 (because of an offer from Sony for retail employees that I couldn't pass on), my taste and style have changed... and I would take the Sigma 35mm F1.2 ART if there was a deal like what I got from Sony. I've only tried using the GM 135 once on a photoshoot... and it didn't last long before switching back to the 55mm F1.8 or GM85 because I had to be back up sooooo far from the model that I was yelling just to communicate with her. (it was for full body shots)

Under the current conditions the extra working distance could be considered an advantage.

Peter Foiles's gear list:Peter Foiles's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Olympus E-M5 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 +13 more

Peter Foiles wrote:

trainerKEN wrote:

A-Marc wrote:

135 GM or Sigma 35/1.2

what would you do.....

that's a tough one... 7-8 years ago, I would have said 135mm F1.8 hands down because back then... I LOVED the Zeiss 135mm F1.8 on A-mount... But while I "DID" recently picked up the GM 135 (because of an offer from Sony for retail employees that I couldn't pass on), my taste and style have changed... and I would take the Sigma 35mm F1.2 ART if there was a deal like what I got from Sony. I've only tried using the GM 135 once on a photoshoot... and it didn't last long before switching back to the 55mm F1.8 or GM85 because I had to be back up sooooo far from the model that I was yelling just to communicate with her. (it was for full body shots)

Under the current conditions the extra working distance could be considered an advantage.

True. Just hope this situation will be temporary....although it still will take a long time before anything changes for the best, I' m afraid.

I would really love to get the 135mm GM, but I'm afraid this fl is too long for me. I once used the Zuiko 75mm f1.8. Spectacular lens, but 150mm fl on FF definitely was too long for my usage. 135mm will be a little better ofcourse, but I could also wait for a 85mm GM version 2 (with specs like the 135mm GM)....well....that could be a very long wait. So...maybe 135mm f1.8 after all

Choosing between 35mm and 135mm is simple....(like I said before in this thread)...100% 135mm GM.

Sigma DP3 Merrill Sony a7R IV Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 +6 more
kelly15 Contributing Member • Posts: 830

mujana wrote:

Peter Foiles wrote:

trainerKEN wrote:

A-Marc wrote:

135 GM or Sigma 35/1.2

what would you do.....

True. Just hope this situation will be temporary....although it still will take a long time before anything changes for the best, I' m afraid.

I would really love to get the 135mm GM, but I'm afraid this fl is too long for me. I once used the Zuiko 75mm f1.8. Spectacular lens, but 150mm fl on FF definitely was too long for my usage. 135mm will be a little better ofcourse, but I could also wait for a 85mm GM version 2 (with specs like the 135mm GM)....well....that could be a very long wait. So...maybe 135mm f1.8 after all

Choosing between 35mm and 135mm is simple....(like I said before in this thread)...100% 135mm GM.

One other lens is very close to GM 135.

It is Sigma 85 1.4 DN.

I was in doubt to write so but, after testing, I'm quite sure of my feeling.

There are two items which are not perfect: distortion and vignetting.

While the second is quite common in all fast lenses the first is quite unusual for 85mm mainly because it is pincushion.

I believe this is a design decision to keep dimensions and price reasonable.

Both can be easily corrected via software.

kelly15's gear list:kelly15's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a6400 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM +5 more
theoverratedphotog
theoverratedphotog Senior Member • Posts: 1,018

kelly15 wrote:

mujana wrote:

Peter Foiles wrote:

trainerKEN wrote:

A-Marc wrote:

135 GM or Sigma 35/1.2

what would you do.....

It is Sigma 85 1.4 DN.

While the second is quite common in all fast lenses the first is quite unusual for 85mm mainly because it is pincushion.

Agree. People get too tied to the GM glass. The Sigma 85 is pretty damn good. The test I saw showed it was sharper than the Zeiss Otus 85 which is a pretty impressive achievement.

theoverratedphotog's gear list:theoverratedphotog's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Sony a7R III Sony a7 III Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +11 more

kelly15 wrote:

mujana wrote:

Peter Foiles wrote:

trainerKEN wrote:

A-Marc wrote:

135 GM or Sigma 35/1.2

what would you do.....

It is Sigma 85 1.4 DN.

Correct. I didn’t think of that new Sigma. I wonder if changing my Batis 85mm for that Sigma would be worth it for me. When that Sigma was introduced (august?), I only briefly compared both an decided it maybe wasn’t worth it. But, I’ll take a closer look anyway.

theoverratedphotog wrote:

kelly15 wrote:

mujana wrote:

Peter Foiles wrote:

trainerKEN wrote:

A-Marc wrote:

135 GM or Sigma 35/1.2

what would you do.....

It is Sigma 85 1.4 DN.

Agree. People get too tied to the GM glass.

For a good reason they get tied...superb glass. Agree, that getting too tied isn’t good.

The Sigma 85 is pretty damn good. The test I saw showed it was sharper than the Zeiss Otus 85 which is a pretty impressive achievement.

That’s VERY impressive! But then there’s more than sharpness alone, as you certainly know.

PWPhotography Forum Pro • Posts: 10,775

kelly15 wrote:

mujana wrote:

Peter Foiles wrote:

trainerKEN wrote:

A-Marc wrote:

135 GM or Sigma 35/1.2

what would you do.....

It is Sigma 85 1.4 DN.

There is another one, Sigma 105mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens for Sony E. If you could handle this monster heavy (3.62 lb / 1.64 kg) lens, from what I have seen it delivers even better bokeh than 135 GM and basically equal sharp.  105mm sits between 85 and 135mm FL.

PWPhotography's gear list:PWPhotography's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +18 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads