Am i misremembering things or did Godox make a device that tilts the R2 transmitter?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Ellis Vener
MOD Ellis Vener Forum Pro • Posts: 14,152
Am i misremembering things or did Godox make a device that tilts the R2 transmitter?

It went between the camera hotshoe and the trigger making it easier to see the trigger's display when the camera is at eyelevel.

I am sure I remember reading about this but cannot remember what it was called.

-- hide signature --

Ellis Vener
Professional photographer since 1984.
To see my work, please visit http://www.ellisvener.com
Or on Instagram @EllisVenerStudio

Ellis Vener's gear list:Ellis Vener's gear list
Sony RX100 VII Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 +1 more
Ellis Vener
OP MOD Ellis Vener Forum Pro • Posts: 14,152
Re: Am i misremembering things or did Godox make a device that tilts the R2 transmitter?

Found it. It is an Adorama Flashpoint exclusive: https://www.adorama.com/fprrvhsn.html

-- hide signature --

Ellis Vener

tugwilson Senior Member • Posts: 2,823
Re: Am i misremembering things or did Godox make a device that tilts the R2 transmitter?

Ellis Vener wrote:

Found it. It is an Adorama Flashpoint exclusive: https://www.adorama.com/fprrvhsn.html

Yes, It tilts it so that the screen is vertical.

Picture of it in action here .

Ellis Vener

tugwilson wrote:

Ellis Vener wrote:

Yes, It tilts it so that the screen is vertical.

Picture of it in action here .

That is exactly what I want it for.

-- hide signature --

Ellis Vener

Ellis Vener wrote:

The only downside is the AF assist stops working.

Ellis Vener

tugwilson wrote:

Ellis Vener wrote:

The only downside is the AF assist stops working.

That’s not an issue for me, but thank you for the warning.

-- hide signature --

Ellis Vener

Richard Hopkins
Richard Hopkins Regular Member • Posts: 340
A trigger with tilting, colour, touch-screen please!

Can we have a trigger with tilting, colour, touch-screen please, Mr Godox? I'd happily pay a premium for that.

The trigger unit is so important these days. It's the main user-interface, and I don't even touch the flash heads themselves now, apart from turning them on. Everything is done from the FlashPoint R2 ProII trigger.

I also have a Godox X2T trigger, mainly as a back-up spare, but also because it has a pass-through hot-shoe which is handy for experimentation, and a vertical screen for those occasions when I can't see the R2 ProII properly. Happens quite often in fact.

Colin Creevey Regular Member • Posts: 220

Out of interest what is your use case for this?

Ellis Vener

Colin Creevey wrote:

1) Photographing with the camera at eyelevel when it’s on a tripod.

2) photographing products when the camera is tripod mounted and pointing downward.

in other words, anytime when the camera is in a fixed position and the display on my R2 Pro is difficult to see.

-- hide signature --

Ellis Vener

Ellis Vener wrote:

Colin Creevey wrote:

2) photographing products when the camera is tripod mounted and pointing downward.

in other words, anytime when the camera is in a fixed position and the display on my R2 Pro is difficult to see.

An option in those cases is to put the on camera trigger in APP mode and use a second, hand held trigger to change the settings.

Second option if you have a bluetooth equipped trigger is to use the smartphone app.

Richard Hopkins

tugwilson wrote:

Ellis Vener wrote:

Colin Creevey wrote:

An option in those cases is to put the on camera trigger in APP mode and use a second, hand held trigger to change the settings.

Second option if you have a bluetooth equipped trigger is to use the smartphone app.

And Bluetooth works great! Both my Godox triggers (FlashPoint R2 ProII and Godox X2T) have Bluetooth and I downloaded the smartphone app months ago. But never used it and then forgot about it. Just colour me stoopid.

So today I gave it a go. I just switched everything on, selected the channel number, and it all sprang to life like magic. Sweet. Total control of everything, instantly. And in effect, I have a colour touch-screen trigger in the palm of my hand. Highly recommended.

The FlashPoint R2 ProII also comes highly recommended. It's actually completely different to the similar-looking R2 Pro (Godox XPro), it has more functions* than any other Godox trigger, and a redesigned user-interface for less menu-diving. It's exclusive to Adorama in the US and although they will ship internationally, this does add significantly to the cost.

*eg Bluetooth, direct-access buttons for key features, TCM for converting TTL settings to manual, sync-delay for optimising HSS and HyperSync, back-lit buttons, independent group firing, double-tap group on/off, same price as R2 Pro (Godox XPro) trigger.

Robert Hall's review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBvftsE9cjk&t=10s

Richard Hopkins wrote:

And Bluetooth works great! Both my Godox triggers (FlashPoint R2 ProII and Godox X2T) have Bluetooth and I downloaded the smartphone app months ago. But never used it and then forgot about it. Just colour me stoopid.

So today I gave it a go. I just switched everything on, selected the channel number, and it all sprang to life like magic. Sweet. Total control of everything, instantly. And in effect, I have a colour touch-screen trigger in the palm of my hand. Highly recommended.

The FlashPoint R2 ProII also comes highly recommended. It's actually completely different to the similar-looking R2 Pro (Godox XPro), it has more functions* than any other Godox trigger, and a redesigned user-interface for less menu-diving. It's exclusive to Adorama in the US and although they will ship internationally, this does add significantly to the cost.

*eg Bluetooth, direct-access buttons for key features, TCM for converting TTL settings to manual, sync-delay for optimising HSS and HyperSync, back-lit buttons, independent group firing, double-tap group on/off, same price as R2 Pro (Godox XPro) trigger.

I'm guessing you have an iPhone, Richard. Android users can have a less happy experience.

Richard Hopkins

tugwilson wrote:

Richard Hopkins wrote:

I'm guessing you have an iPhone, Richard. Android users can have a less happy experience.

Yes, I get my wife's hand-me-downs. I think it's an iPhone-8

Ellis Vener

I will check that functionality out.

-- hide signature --

Ellis Vener

ronscuba Contributing Member • Posts: 709

tugwilson wrote:

Ellis Vener wrote:

Colin Creevey wrote:

Thanks, I did not know about the APP mode.  I have the Xpro and also got a pair of the Flashpoint single pins for $25 each.  I actually prefer to use the single pin because it is so small.  Only time I use the Xpro is if I need HSS.  I just checked and it has the APP mode also.

Richard Hopkins

ronscuba wrote:

tugwilson wrote:

Thanks, I did not know about the APP mode. I have the Xpro and also got a pair of the Flashpoint single pins for $25 each. I actually prefer to use the single pin because it is so small. Only time I use the Xpro is if I need HSS. I just checked and it has the APP mode also.

Godox XPro trigger does not have Bluetooth. AFAIK only the FlashPoint R2 Pro MkII and Godox X2T have it.

Richard Hopkins wrote:

ronscuba wrote:

tugwilson wrote:

Thanks, I did not know about the APP mode. I have the Xpro and also got a pair of the Flashpoint single pins for $25 each. I actually prefer to use the single pin because it is so small. Only time I use the Xpro is if I need HSS. I just checked and it has the APP mode also.

Godox XPro trigger does not have Bluetooth. AFAIK only the FlashPoint R2 Pro MkII and Godox X2T have it.

Yes, but the XPro has the APP mode which means that you an use a second held trigger to set the mode of the lights whist the on camera trigger fires them in Manual;, HSS and/or TTL mode.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads