Choose the best stock footage and travel camera?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
nuwanz New Member • Posts: 5
Choose the best stock footage and travel camera?

Hello Experts, I need your help to choose the best camera.

01. Purpose

- Stock footage

- Documentary

- Travel Vlogs

02. Cameras

- GH5 ( got an amazing deal with Leica lens)

- A7 iii

- a6600

- Fz2500 (Panasonic bridge camera)

What will be the best camera you suggest for a beginner?

Or any other cameras not on the list?

Your help will be highly appreciated.

Thank You.

Panasonic FZ2500 Panasonic GH5 Sony a6600 Sony a7 III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Mark Scott Abeln
Mark Scott Abeln Forum Pro • Posts: 16,161
If you are a beginner...

If you are a beginner, then pretty much any basic camera could help you learn. Maybe even a smartphone camera, if you have one. As a general principle, use what you have until you reach its limits.

Otherwise, an advanced camera could even make your results worse, as they have so many complicated controls. All too often, beginners with new cameras complain that they got better results from their smartphones.

I would suggest learning first before you attempt professional-level activities.

Mark Scott Abeln's gear list:Mark Scott Abeln's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +2 more
JeffSlade
JeffSlade Regular Member • Posts: 495
Re: Choose the best stock footage and travel camera?

I always recommend a full frame camera to beginners if they have the budget for one. While I'm not familiar with the other cameras on your list I would suggest the Sony A7 III as it has a 35 mm full frame sensor.

JeffSlade's gear list:JeffSlade's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Fujifilm X-T1 GoPro Hero7 Black Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +7 more
alcelc
alcelc Forum Pro • Posts: 14,409

nuwanz wrote:

Not an expert, to the best might be a hobbyist at most having 40+ years of experience on camera from full manual to recent digital cameras...

IMHO the most important factor to consider will be:

1. the cost;
  2. your physical condition (size and weight of gear) as well as would you shoot alone most of the time or if not, who will always alongside with you (has interest on shooting too?);
  3. what will you shoot most?
  4. how will you use your output? 

1) The cost, easy to understand.

2) I am over 60 and am overweight, wishing not to limit to one or two lens and have to prepare to walk for hours every shooting session under whatsoever weather condition... Therefore size and weight is my highest priority. How about you?

Also if you are not shooting alone, you might have to consider those besides you and hence you might have more restriction e.g. less time to shoot, more difficult to swap lenses etc. Hence, an all-in-one lens solution could be easier for you (e.g. the FZ2500 or use a superzoom lens on interchangeable lens camera).

3) If you have main interest on portrait shooting, shallow DoF (background separation) could be essential to you. You would be happier with a larger size sensor system (in your list A7III {full frame sensor} > A6600 {APSC sensor} > GH5 {M43 sensor} > FZ2500 {1" sensor}).

If you shoot under low lighting conditions a lot, you might need to use higher ISO. A bigger size sensor camera could benefit you on the noise department (FF : APSC : M43 : 1" = 3stops : 2stop : 1stop : 0stops).

If you shoot fast moving targets (Birds in Flight, wide life, sport, running dogs/kids etc) a lot, you need a good AF tracking auto focus system. A camera has OSPDAF system (On sensor Phase Detect Auto Focus) could be more efficient than a CDAF system (Contrast Detect Auto Focus). Currently, Panasonic uses CDAF (+DFD, a software alternative to OSPDAF) so, the two Sony in your list might be better.

For other more general shooting, the CDAF + DFD of Panasonic actually is not weaker than any other system in the market.

If you will shoot 4K video a lot, then might have to look into the possible overheating issue of Sony models. Panasonic can handle overheating well.

4) if you will not print hard copy large, likely the difference could be minimal. Generally the 20Mp image from Panasonic camera can be print @300ppi to 17" x 13". Would it be big enough for you?

01. Purpose

- Stock footage

- Documentary

- Travel Vlogs

02. Cameras

- A7 iii

- a6600

Thank You.

But on general, I might not suggest new shooter to start with a pro class camera. Usually a pro/flagship class camera would means less automatic, more feature for specific usage and some would need higher technique to master them. As what I always said, if we are not experience enough we might not play the tool but played by the tool. I might look for a lower spec model, easier to handle and in the meantime has the rooms to learn. We can always move onto more advance model later.

If you are not looking for the pro video spec of GH5, the G9 could be a better option to you. G9 has a better stabilization system, best AF of Panasonic, and its video is also very powerful despite it is a still centric model. The wonderful of Panasonic is that from flagship model (GH5 is the video flagship, G9 is the still flagship) to its entry class model (the GF9/GF10), their class classification is mainly ion ergonomic, amount of physical control, feature set, processing power etc but on IQ, they are quite close...

However, I would suggest you to take a look at the G95 (an economy line of GH5), which is an advanced enough model allowing ample room to growth, or the G100, which is an entry class model but is vlogging centric if vlogging/video is you main aim. GH5 or G9 might not be the most fit model to you.

-- hide signature --

Albert
** Please feel free to download the original image I posted here and edit it as you like **

alcelc's gear list:alcelc's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic G85 +10 more
softmarmotte
softmarmotte Senior Member • Posts: 1,928

if it's of any use, i (re) started pphotography 5 year ago after an absence of 40 years

i looked for advice from a friend photog and bought the SONY RX100. I learnt a lot in 18 months of casual outings

I moved on to the Panasonic Fz1000 because I didn't want lots of extra lenses for holidays but I did want some 'length'

I made a mistake of buying a Nikon 5500 because i listened to advice here that aps sized sensors were better for picture quality. it was and is a poor camera for me - for 2 reasons. 1) the long lenses are (for me) impossible to carry around and use) and the lack of tech specs that i wanted, including an apalling viewfinder

I then spent some time in a physical store and came out with the Olympus OMD EM 1 ii. Quite simply a brilliant camera for my purposes but one I could not have restarted my journey with 5 years before

My advice, start simple and relatively cheaply. Personally i don't do second hand but i can afford to buy new. Your journey will determine your 'upgrades' as you understand photography more and as your interests change

I would recommend the Panasonic FZ1000 or the Sony RX100 (series)

nuwanz wrote:

01. Purpose

- Stock footage

- Documentary

- Travel Vlogs

02. Cameras

- A7 iii

- a6600

Thank You.

-- hide signature --

anyone is welcome to do anything they want with my images except sell them for profit
https://www.flickr.com/photos/softmarmotte/

softmarmotte's gear list:softmarmotte's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +9 more
OP nuwanz New Member • Posts: 5

Hello Alcelc, I'm really greatfull for your detailed answer. Spending this much time to help stranger says so much about you.

Thank you for your advice again. I think I have given bit wrong picture about myself. I'm beginner cameraman. But I have learned in the industry and in motion graphic industry is 10+ years. I have some understand of technical specs of camera. But I'm beginer as cameraman.

I will keep your idea on starting small and will list my requirement first.

Re: If you are a beginner...

Thank you so much for your advice. Actually I'm in the industry for 10+ years as motion graphic artist. I understand the technical parts of it. But beginner as a cameraman. Can you recommend something from below list?

Gh5, a6600, xt3, fz2500

I need something with 4k. Because I'm planing to do stock footage

Hello, Thank your for the help. A7 iii is the most expensive one but I think it worth the price.

Thank you so much for your time. I don't expect this much help from you guys. Actually I have 10+ years as motion graphic artist so I understand lot of technical specs in camera. But I'm beginer to dslr video making and photography.

Do you still recommends these cameras? I want a 4K camera to make stock footage while I travel.

softmarmotte
softmarmotte Senior Member • Posts: 1,928

softmarmotte wrote:

if it's of any use, i (re) started pphotography 5 year ago after an absence of 40 years

i looked for advice from a friend photog and bought the SONY RX100. I learnt a lot in 18 months of casual outings

I moved on to the Panasonic Fz1000 because I didn't want lots of extra lenses for holidays but I did want some 'length'

I made a mistake of buying a Nikon 5500 because i listened to advice here that aps sized sensors were better for picture quality. it was and is a poor camera for me - for 2 reasons. 1) the long lenses are (for me) impossible to carry around and use) and the lack of tech specs that i wanted, including an apalling viewfinder

I then spent some time in a physical store and came out with the Olympus OMD EM 1 ii. Quite simply a brilliant camera for my purposes but one I could not have restarted my journey with 5 years before

My advice, start simple and relatively cheaply. Personally i don't do second hand but i can afford to buy new. Your journey will determine your 'upgrades' as you understand photography more and as your interests change

I would recommend the Panasonic FZ1000 or the Sony RX100 (series)

nuwanz wrote:

01. Purpose

- Stock footage

- Documentary

- Travel Vlogs

02. Cameras

- A7 iii

- a6600

Thank You.

'FZ1000 has ability to record 4K video. It's recorded at 3,840x2,160 pixels at 25p, and encoded in AVC format at 100Mbit/s. There's no Cinema 4K (4,096x2,160 at 24p) as per the Pana GH series'

The Sony RX100 series has 4K in some versions. Just check the specs. I think from V3 on ?

-- hide signature --

anyone is welcome to do anything they want with my images except sell them for profit
https://www.flickr.com/photos/softmarmotte/

softmarmotte's gear list:softmarmotte's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +9 more
BGD300V1
BGD300V1 Senior Member • Posts: 2,511
These "Best camera for ..." theads always seem a bit silly to me

The current crop of cameras are ALL capable of producing whatever you want to do.  At some point, the ability of the photographer is what produces acceptable and/or superior images whatever photo product is being produced.

As to other cameras, consider the original Nikon Z6 which is a couple hundred cheaper than the Sony A7 III and produces excellent video results and is good in low light.

-- hide signature --

I'm a photographer, Jim, not a graphic artist!
My photo blog: http://birdsnbugs.com
RF Stock Portfolio - http://www.dreamstime.com/resp129611

BGD300V1's gear list:BGD300V1's gear list
Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 J5 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50 +12 more
LightCameraAction Contributing Member • Posts: 639

nuwanz wrote:

01. Purpose

- Stock footage

- Documentary

- Travel Vlogs

02. Cameras

- A7 iii

- a6600

Thank You.

Honestly, it depends on how much money matters to you. If you are willing to spend ~$2,000 on a camera body and extra on lenses, it is hard to complain about new full frame cameras like the A7iii.

There are older models and crop sensor cameras that can likely meet your requirements at a much lower price. For instance, you could go with an older APS-C camera body and spend the money on lenses that are full frame comparable, providing an upgrade path later. Sony also has older full frame models that can be purchased for lower price, but there are downsides.

Edit: I am not necessarily advocating for Sony. There are lots of good brands out there.

Andersonm Regular Member • Posts: 457

Someone recommended the Panasonic G9. That has a 10 minute recording limit for 4K.

Someone recommended full frame. That's great for low light and somewhat better still photos (more shallow depth of field i.e. better background blur), but presumably that is not critical for you.

Someone mentioned buying an APS-C Nikon camera and finding the lenses too big, and that is pretty much the case. Sony zoom lenses are bigger and heavier than Micro Four Thirds lenses, and overestimating how much you will like carrying around a big and heavy camera can be a fatal mistake. Compare the weight of camera and lens to carrying around a water bottle of the same weight. And for a day trip with video and stills you probably want 2-3 lenses.

Overall, I would recommend the GH5. Strong handheld stabilization, made for video, no recording limit.

Andersonm's gear list:Andersonm's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH
BGD300V1
BGD300V1 Senior Member • Posts: 2,511

softmarmotte wrote:

The viewfinder is a pentamirror, not pentaprism.  That should have been obvious before the purchase.

-- hide signature --

I'm a photographer, Jim, not a graphic artist!
My photo blog: http://birdsnbugs.com
RF Stock Portfolio - http://www.dreamstime.com/resp129611

BGD300V1's gear list:BGD300V1's gear list
Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 J5 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50 +12 more
Mark Scott Abeln
Mark Scott Abeln Forum Pro • Posts: 16,161
Panasonics

The Panasonic has a great reputation for video.

Mark Scott Abeln's gear list:Mark Scott Abeln's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads