It would be nice if

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
tony field Forum Pro • Posts: 11,045
It would be nice if

If the first place finisher in a challenge has been disqualified or removed/withdrawn, the entire challenge is identified as having "no images" on the previous challenge list. It would be nice if this could be corrected and always show the first available image as the icon for the challenge.

-- hide signature --

Charles Darwin: "ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge."
tony

Barry Twycross Veteran Member • Posts: 3,443
Re: It would be nice if

It would be nice if I were notified if someone entered a challenge I'm hosting. Or I were notified if someone commented on a challenge I'm hosting.

Barry Twycross's gear list:Barry Twycross's gear list
Panasonic GX850 Fujifilm GFX 50R Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS Leica Nocticron 42.5mm Fujifilm GF 110mm F2 +9 more
JahnG
JahnG Senior Member • Posts: 2,878

if challenge voters easily could give a short anonymous comment at the same time as they vote.

It seems that DPR hasn't for some time allocated resources to make changes to the challenges. However, some time ago, (perhaps in 2019), DPR made some changes to their system, (possible concerning the use of Java script??), so it seems that changes are made when the need arise Perhaps enough members need to ask for changes?

JahnG's gear list:JahnG's gear list
Canon PowerShot A650 IS Panasonic ZS100 Pentax K100D Super Pentax K-r Pentax K-S1
embie
embie Senior Member • Posts: 2,191
Re: Sounds reasonable. n/t
-- hide signature --

"Travel is fatal...for prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" (Mark Twain) - "The world...is our home" (eMBie)
You can edit and repost my pictures until you drop but they will still be mine Please respect my copyright

embie's gear list:embie's gear list
Nikon D7200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Olympus TG-5 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-P 70-300mm F4.5-6.3G VR +2 more
embie
embie Senior Member • Posts: 2,191

JahnG wrote:

if challenge voters easily could give a short anonymous comment at the same time as they vote.

Very good idea but only if the comments allowed are constructive, it can quickly stray into :

- this is crap

- not worth of the ranked place

- worst I have ever seen

eMBie

It seems that DPR hasn't for some time allocated resources to make changes to the challenges. However, some time ago, (perhaps in 2019), DPR made some changes to their system, (possible concerning the use of Java script??), so it seems that changes are made when the need arise Perhaps enough members need to ask for changes?

-- hide signature --

"Travel is fatal...for prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" (Mark Twain) - "The world...is our home" (eMBie)
You can edit and repost my pictures until you drop but they will still be mine Please respect my copyright

embie's gear list:embie's gear list
Nikon D7200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Olympus TG-5 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-P 70-300mm F4.5-6.3G VR +2 more
cjf2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,113

embie wrote:

JahnG wrote:

Very good idea but only if the comments allowed are constructive,

eMBie

JahnG & eMBie,

You can do something like this yourself now. After the voting finished you can look at the challenge in the order you voted and can see the ones you thought were good and you can go and leave a message on the entry.

In particular I try to give a pat on the back to the ones that I thought were good but which placed badly. As well as enthusing about the picture I will try to help if I can see a reason why an entry might have done badly such as new entrants who leave their name on the entry or where it perhaps does not meet the theme very well and then I encourage them to wait for a more appropriate challenge.

I'd like it if someone did that for me.

JahnG wrote:

I like that idea as well.

I've previously suggested it should be compulsory for 0.5 and 1* votes.

Panasonic GX850 Fujifilm GFX 50R Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS Leica Nocticron 42.5mm Fujifilm GF 110mm F2 +9 more
Darrell Spreen Forum Pro • Posts: 10,795

Barry Twycross wrote:

Yes, extremely low votes are unsettling and the meaning is especially important to most entrants.

-- hide signature --

DS

JahnG

embie wrote:

JahnG wrote:

Very good idea but only if the comments allowed are constructive, it can quickly stray into :

- this is crap

- not worth of the ranked place

- worst I have ever seen

eMBie

Very true, eMBie.

However even some few honest comments might help people to realize what might be wrong with their pictures. Now there is only the 0.5 stars without any kind of explanation, so it might be wort it to have comments?

Jahn

Canon PowerShot A650 IS Panasonic ZS100 Pentax K100D Super Pentax K-r Pentax K-S1
JahnG

cjf2 wrote:

embie wrote:

JahnG wrote:

Very good idea but only if the comments allowed are constructive,

eMBie

JahnG & eMBie,

You can do something like this yourself now. After the voting finished you can look at the challenge in the order you voted and can see the ones you thought were good and you can go and leave a message on the entry.

In particular I try to give a pat on the back to the ones that I thought were good but which placed badly. As well as enthusing about the picture I will try to help if I can see a reason why an entry might have done badly such as new entrants who leave their name on the entry or where it perhaps does not meet the theme very well and then I encourage them to wait for a more appropriate challenge.

I'd like it if someone did that for me.

Good comments, cjf2.

I've a few times given some comments to low voted pictures I've myself found good, but I haven't done it as often as I should

However, you very seldom see any comments on low voted pictures telling why they are "bad", and THAT information would in my view be quite valuable. What is wrong and suggestions how to improve my picture?

Jahn

JahnG

Barry Twycross wrote:

JahnG wrote:

Good idea, Barry.

I absolutely support your idea.

Jahn

Chuck_G Regular Member • Posts: 131

JahnG wrote:

Barry Twycross wrote:

JahnG wrote:

Good idea, Barry.

I absolutely support your idea.

Jahn

This is a good idea as long as the comments are constructive. Itbsucks is not a constructive comment. Years ago I posted some photos on the old Popular Photography forums for some feedback. A few comments were constructive regarding color, composition, etc. but many were simply negative like it sucks or you should quit photography. Hardly beneficial.

Chuck_G's gear list:Chuck_G's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A300 Sony SLT-A77 Panasonic G85 Sony DT 18-70mm F3.5-5.6 Tamron 18-270mm F3.5-6.3 Di II PZD +2 more
cjf2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,113

However, you very seldom see any comments on low voted pictures telling why they are "bad", and THAT information would in my view be quite valuable. What is wrong and suggestions how to improve my picture?

Jahn

I used to do that but I got the impression the comments were not welcomed so now I only suggest something to improve an already good image. I find it a bit sad on the Wildlife forum when someone new posts poor stuff and the regulars praise them as if they are really good. People would rather be lied to than helped but I’d be happy if you risked the flak.

OP tony field Forum Pro • Posts: 11,045

JahnG wrote:

that's humorous. Why does everyone want to be anonymous, unidentified and non-existent. Are they that embarrassed with who they are and don't want to be identified by the childish nature of their commentary?

In the old days of the monthly print Club commentary was direct verbal and you knew exactly who said what about your images. Strong negative and positive comments we're par for the course and we all went out for a beer after the meeting and had fun with no animosity. Sometimes the verbal commentary continued over the beer if there was an exceptionally good image or if a normally good photographer supplemented an unexpectedly poor image

-- hide signature --

Charles Darwin: "ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge."
tony

tony field wrote:

JahnG wrote:

that's humorous. Why does everyone want to be anonymous, unidentified and non-existent. Are they that embarrassed with who they are and don't want to be identified by the childish nature of their commentary?

Mainly because honest comments aren't the norm, or welcome.

Lensmate
Lensmate Veteran Member • Posts: 4,782

tony field wrote:

JahnG wrote:

In the old days of the monthly print Club commentary was direct verbal and you knew exactly who said what about your images. Strong negative and positive comments we're par for the course and we all went out for a beer after the meeting and had fun with no animosity. Sometimes the verbal commentary continued over the beer if there was an exceptionally good image or if a normally good photographer supplemented an unexpectedly poor image

We are of a different generation, and very markedly. If you have the time, do watch this video in the link below:

https://vimeo.com/408937522

seems this is where we are headed to unfortunately!!

-Martin P

Lensmate's gear list:Lensmate's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F717 Sony RX100 Sony RX100 VII Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony SLT-A55 +11 more
New Day Rising
New Day Rising Senior Member • Posts: 5,008

Barry Twycross wrote:

tony field wrote:

JahnG wrote:

There is that. "Robust" feedback tends to result in rather robust arguments and robust hurt feelings.

If the comments are identified, does that conflict with the broader principle that voting is anonymous?

I really like your suggestion that people have to provide a reason for 0.5 and 1.0 star ratings. My only concern (aside from the anonymity one above) is that it may artificially push people towards giving 1.5 star ratings for entries they really thought were worth 0.5, but couldn't be bothered writing a comment for. For the lazy, it might be much easier just to give it 1.5 and move on.

Still, it is a good suggestion. Anything that helps to cut down the 0.5 star votes that are just down to try and pull down good images is worth it.

-- hide signature --

"You should take photos of whatever you want. That's punk" - Joe Strummer

New Day Rising's gear list:New Day Rising's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D50 Canon EOS 550D Sony Alpha NEX-6 Fujifilm X-T1 +13 more
OP tony field Forum Pro • Posts: 11,045

New Day Rising wrote:

Barry Twycross wrote:

tony field wrote:

JahnG wrote:

There is that. "Robust" feedback tends to result in rather robust arguments and robust hurt feelings.

I usually assume that the participants in the challenges are all mature adults and can tolerate some robust discussion. I cannot see any reason why people should be forced  to provide any commentary on their voting

If the comments are identified, does that conflict with the broader principle that voting is anonymous?

Which could be in conflict with the fact that commentary on the images in the challenges are all fully identified by the poster of the comment. The identity of the person who post a picture to the challenge is identified after the challenge has been completed. The voters however maintain Anonymous identity. By my logic what is good for the goose is also good for the gander

Anonymity seems to be the prevalent adopted religion on dpreview

I really like your suggestion that people have to provide a reason for 0.5 and 1.0 star ratings. My only concern (aside from the anonymity one above) is that it may artificially push people towards giving 1.5 star ratings for entries they really thought were worth 0.5, but couldn't be bothered writing a comment for. For the lazy, it might be much easier just to give it 1.5 and move on.

Still, it is a good suggestion. Anything that helps to cut down the 0.5 star votes that are just down to try and pull down good images is worth it.

-- hide signature --

tony

Bill Thoo Regular Member • Posts: 306

tony field wrote:

JahnG wrote:

I agree with Tony - the more anonymous you are the more likely you are to troll.  I know the DPR accounts are anonymous to some extent, but at least comments can be traced back an account

Bill Thoo's gear list:Bill Thoo's gear list
Sony a7R II Canon PowerShot D10 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC +2 more
Bill Thoo Regular Member • Posts: 306

tony field wrote:

If the first place finisher in a challenge has been disqualified or removed/withdrawn, the entire challenge is identified as having "no images" on the previous challenge list. It would be nice if this could be corrected and always show the first available image as the icon for the challenge.

I agree. Can't see it happening, though.

I know the voting, host controls, and a variety of other issues seem to get discussed over and over every time there is a new generation joining the challenges, but I can't remember if the admins have ever actually changed anything.  I've been on the site for a few years, but I'm not one of the veterans.

Does anyone know?

Bill Thoo's gear list:Bill Thoo's gear list
Sony a7R II Canon PowerShot D10 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads