Fall Colors in Eastern Sierra, CA - part 1

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
jm10 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,273
Fall Colors in Eastern Sierra, CA - part 1

I was lucky to catch the peak fall colors around Bishop, CA a couple of weeks ago. Below are a few samples. Your C&C is welcome. Thanks for looking.

jacob

1 - road to North Lake 1

2 - road to North Lake 2

3 - North Lake 1

4 - North Lake 2

jm10's gear list:jm10's gear list
Ricoh GR II Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +1 more
David1961
David1961 Senior Member • Posts: 3,577
Re: Fall Colors in Eastern Sierra, CA - part 1

Sensational colours!!

I like 3 and 4 the most although on my screen a little more contrast would give them a little more pop.

To me, the composition in 1 and 2 is too "standard" - taking a photo while standing on the road.

Perhaps compositions from much lower down closer to the road on one side and looking slightly up with the road being a leading line into scene might have been more compelling.

Just my $0.02 and hopefully some food for thought.

Thank you for sharing

David1961's gear list:David1961's gear list
Canon EOS 90D
OP jm10 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,273

David1961 wrote:

Sensational colours!!

I like 3 and 4 the most although on my screen a little more contrast would give them a little more pop.

To me, the composition in 1 and 2 is too "standard" - taking a photo while standing on the road.

Perhaps compositions from much lower down closer to the road on one side and looking slightly up with the road being a leading line into scene might have been more compelling.

Just my $0.02 and hopefully some food for thought.

Thank you for sharing

Thank you kindly for your comments David! This helps.

The atmospheric conditions in this area were far from ideal because of the forest fires some 30 miles away. The National Forest just opened this area to the public (partially) three days prior to my trip, so there was lots of haze in the air. I had to add quite a bit of contrast to overcome this; I suppose I can push it a little further - I hesitated to do this but will give it another look...

Ricoh GR II Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +1 more
1Dx4me Forum Pro • Posts: 10,248

although the same scene, #3 and #4 are my picks!

-- hide signature --

if you look at God real close and for very long, you'll find defects!!!

1Dx4me wrote:

although the same scene, #3 and #4 are my picks!

Thank you very much for commenting 1D!

Moon0326 Contributing Member • Posts: 823

Lovely colors!! I like the 2nd one best.

Moon0326 wrote:

Lovely colors!! I like the 2nd one best.

Thanks Moon! Just following in your footsteps:-)

Karaya Senior Member • Posts: 2,046
Really nice shots!

#3 is my fav. My wife and I took a road trip to Wisconsin last week to look for fall colors but we ended up dealing with 8 inches of snow!

Most of the leafs had fallen but I did capture this shot on the side of a back road.

Karaya's gear list:Karaya's gear list
Olympus Zuiko Digital 300mm 1:2.8 Olympus E-5 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Canon EF 85mm F1.2L II USM +3 more
Re: Really nice shots!

Karaya wrote:

#3 is my fav. My wife and I took a road trip to Wisconsin last week to look for fall colors but we ended up dealing with 8 inches of snow!

Most of the leafs had fallen but I did capture this shot on the side of a back road.

Thanks Karaya!

Sorry about the snow. It seems that winter came early...At least you have some fall colors. Besides no one can claim that you posted an instagrammed to death view Good catch!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads