digital photo frames

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
robgendreau Veteran Member • Posts: 7,911
Re: digital photo frames

softmarmotte wrote:

Andy873 wrote:

softmarmotte wrote:

i haven't seen any mention of these on the fora

and i am sure there are going to be plenty of 'why do you want want one of those' sneers but does anyone have any recommendations ?

prefer 4:3 aspect and larger than 12 inch..

thanks

Because those things have such horrible screens nobody would want to view any photos on them.

The only worthwhile digital photo frame is an used iPad, or a new iPad, if you can afford it.

thanks for the first sneer (check)

i think you better check the resolution of apple gear...it's not all you think

To respond to that sneer, I'd say unless you go back a very very long way all the displays have more resolution than say the first picture frame reviewed in the Tom's Guide article above, 1024 x 768.  

And it's $200. For $100 more you can get a refurbished iPad at Best Buy with a 10.2" screen and FAR higher resolution. And so much more, including using it as a picture frame. You can get a Surface Go for $200 more.

Or go even cheaper; an Amazon Fire. Or probably some cheaper Android tablet with more resolution for LESS than the picture frame.

Or, if you want to go bigger, a TV. You can find 1080p TVs for less than the picture frame as well, that have the capability to play photos. https://smile.amazon.com/SuperSonic-Widescreen-Compatible-Built-22-Inch/dp/B0066ACQKU/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=4k+hdtv&qid=1603556238&refinements=p_n_size_browse-bin%3A1232879011%2Cp_n_feature_five_browse-bin%3A6928153011&rnid=2443311011&s=tv&sr=1-8

Not sneering, but pointing out that most use one or more of these solutions instead, hence there just isn't much market for the rather crippled picture frames. I have collected a couple of old iPads, and coincidentally the very first Gen 1 iPad, which does have the same resolution as that picture frame. It's 10 years old now. And still works as a decent picture display. The nice thing about the tablets is that guests can interact with them; not all frames have touch screens or even batteries. The iPad gets passed around among guests, or just sits there and runs a slide show. Great use for old gear my relatives were going to recycle.

Bobthearch
Bobthearch Veteran Member • Posts: 9,743

robgendreau wrote:

softmarmotte wrote:

Andy873 wrote:

softmarmotte wrote:

and i am sure there are going to be plenty of 'why do you want want one of those' sneers but does anyone have any recommendations ?

thanks

Because those things have such horrible screens nobody would want to view any photos on them.

The only worthwhile digital photo frame is an used iPad, or a new iPad, if you can afford it.

thanks for the first sneer (check)

i think you better check the resolution of apple gear...it's not all you think

To respond to that sneer, I'd say unless you go back a very very long way all the displays have more resolution than say the first picture frame reviewed in the Tom's Guide article above, 1024 x 768.

And it's $200. For $100 more you can get a refurbished iPad at Best Buy with a 10.2" screen and FAR higher resolution. And so much more, including using it as a picture frame. You can get a Surface Go for $200 more.

Or go even cheaper; an Amazon Fire. Or probably some cheaper Android tablet with more resolution for LESS than the picture frame.

Or, if you want to go bigger, a TV. You can find 1080p TVs for less than the picture frame as well, that have the capability to play photos. https://smile.amazon.com/SuperSonic-Widescreen-Compatible-Built-22-Inch/dp/B0066ACQKU/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=4k+hdtv&qid=1603556238&refinements=p_n_size_browse-bin%3A1232879011%2Cp_n_feature_five_browse-bin%3A6928153011&rnid=2443311011&s=tv&sr=1-8

Not sneering, but pointing out that most use one or more of these solutions instead, hence there just isn't much market for the rather crippled picture frames. I have collected a couple of old iPads, and coincidentally the very first Gen 1 iPad, which does have the same resolution as that picture frame. It's 10 years old now. And still works as a decent picture display. The nice thing about the tablets is that guests can interact with them; not all frames have touch screens or even batteries. The iPad gets passed around among guests, or just sits there and runs a slide show. Great use for old gear my relatives were going to recycle.

I can't see buying a digital photo frame or iPad when you can buy a 4k television for under $300.

-- hide signature --

Personal non-commercial websites with no ads or tracking:
Local photography: http://ratonphotos.com/
Travel and photography: http://placesandpics.com/
Special-interest photos: http://ghosttowns.placesandpics.com/

Bobthearch's gear list:Bobthearch's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II +2 more
Doug Haag Senior Member • Posts: 2,388

softmarmotte wrote:

thanks

I had a small one years ago.  And if I ever buy another I will surely verify how it handles display sequencing if you want to run a slide show in a specific order.

Because my image titles were not in alphabetical order of my desired sequence (nor was the date they were taken) I renamed them to include a number sequence at the beginning of each image name (e.g. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, etc.)  But the sequence of these images "forced" by my display (Hewlett Packard as I recall) was 1, followed by 10. Then 11, 12 and so on through 19,  Only after 19 did image 2 appear.  And of course it was followed by 20 and 21 etc.   Thus, image number 3 was the 23rd image displayed.

hampshirejohn Regular Member • Posts: 374

I have both an iPad - 4th generation, so first of the retina displays ( I think) and an aged Motorala digital frame, 800 x 600 display, about the same screen size as the iPad.  So yes the resolution of the Motorola is well below the iPad - but they serve very different purposes.

The Motorola currently holds about 600 of my favourites, on a 10sec change rate. It sits on a bookcase at a central point in the house that I walk past it many times a day, so I do little more than glance at it - but it is a good reminder of whatever I see.  The relatively low resolution (and poor colour reproduction at anything other than near 90 degree viewing) is irrelevant.  After major trips I may change it to a specific display for that trip, but will eventually revert to my favourites.

The iPad is used to sync maybe 30 different albums, (perhaps 2000 photos) and those I sit and look at from time to time, in a more structured way.

I have thought about replacing the Motorola, and if I did I think I'd go NIX. The Motorola does nominally have wifi, but it isn't up to modern security standards so I don't use it. If I did replace, I would want wifi again.

hampshirejohn's gear list:hampshirejohn's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +4 more
BSiler Contributing Member • Posts: 508
Another vote for NIX

I am a bit of a pixel-peeper, and I'm very pleased with the IQ of my NIX model X17B.  Seventeen inches diagonally.

BSiler's gear list:BSiler's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E III Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 +3 more
sybersitizen Forum Pro • Posts: 18,926

Bobthearch wrote:

I can't see buying a digital photo frame or iPad when you can buy a 4k television for under $300.

Look at previous post to understand why a photo frame and a television are not interchangeable products, and why photo frames don't need to be 4K. Also recognize that photo frames cost only a fraction of $300.

If you personally have no use for a photo frame, fine. It's understood that not everyone does.

robgendreau Veteran Member • Posts: 7,911

sybersitizen wrote:

Bobthearch wrote:

Look at previous post to understand why a photo frame and a television are not interchangeable products, and why photo frames don't need to be 4K. Also recognize that photo frames cost only a fraction of $300.

If you personally have no use for a photo frame, fine. It's understood that not everyone does.

I have a use for displaying pictures on a wall, a (real) desktop, a counter, a coffee table, and elsewhere. And sorry, I haven't changed my mind about NOT using a dedicated photo frame for that. If they weren't such a large fraction of $300 (like $200, or $300 for a Nix 13.3") I might reconsider.

But I just haven't seen any that are better than what one can build oneself. This site has lots of info both DIY ones (I too have used a Raspberry Pi to run photo shows) and store-bought types: https://www.thedigitalpictureframe.com/best-24-inches-displays-16-10-aspect-ratio-digital-photo-frame-project/

ken_in_nh Senior Member • Posts: 1,164

We have a Facebook Portal (our kid works there - it was a gift) that shows spouse's iphone photos when it's idle, not talking to the kid, which is almost always.  I really enjoy seeing the photos, more than I ever expected.

Seeing photos on a screen is a different experience than seeing them on a print, and the Portal is different from my color calibrated photo monitor.  Each is enjoyable in its own way.

robgendreau wrote:

sybersitizen wrote:

Bobthearch wrote:

Look at previous posts to understand why a photo frame and a television are not interchangeable products, and why photo frames don't need to be 4K. Also recognize that photo frames cost only a fraction of $300.

If you personally have no use for a photo frame, fine. It's understood that not everyone does.

I have a use for displaying pictures on a wall, a (real) desktop, a counter, a coffee table, and elsewhere. And sorry, I haven't changed my mind about NOT using a dedicated photo frame for that.

Why should I be interested in changing your mind? I'm not. I wasn't even talking to you.

If they weren't such a large fraction of $300 (like $200, or $300 for a Nix 13.3") I might reconsider.

I have no desire for you to reconsider. Do whatever you want. But I sure wouldn't pay anything near the prices you mentioned. I just bought a second-hand 15" frame for $50. My two 8" frames were purchased years ago, so they're basically free for me to continue using. If I wanted more of that size (although I don't) they'd cost maybe $20. I could (and still might) also try an old Kindle Fire and Galaxy Tab A that have been sitting around here, but their screens are smaller and their aspect ratios are not what I prefer, so there isn't much motivation for that.

You're not me and I'm not you and neither of us is somebody else, so we all make different choices.

Guy Parsons
Guy Parsons Forum Pro • Posts: 35,721

Doug Haag wrote:

I had a small one years ago. And if I ever buy another I will surely verify how it handles display sequencing if you want to run a slide show in a specific order.

Because my image titles were not in alphabetical order of my desired sequence (nor was the date they were taken) I renamed them to include a number sequence at the beginning of each image name (e.g. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, etc.) But the sequence of these images "forced" by my display (Hewlett Packard as I recall) was 1, followed by 10. Then 11, 12 and so on through 19, Only after 19 did image 2 appear. And of course it was followed by 20 and 21 etc. Thus, image number 3 was the 23rd image displayed.

Yep, I struck that with one frame (name unremembered) so now in the habit of organising via FastStone Viewer, then renumbering with a suitable sized prefix starting at 0010-filename, 0020-filename, 0030-filename, etc.. The 0020 etc allows me to come back later and insert, say, 0021-, and 0022- into the sequence without pain.

The sample 100 sized test upload set Vietnam in my gallery here that I never deleted was part of a one-off set for a frame that I left with the "00054 P1242916crop" name (as one example) as that was an early attempt before I decided that I needed to leave room for later insertions. I also now use "-" instead of " " (space) as a divider between prefix and filename.

The main idea being to have a naming sequence that works the same on all devices when organised by filename.

When I tried the same content on a USB stick in an older small TV it could only show the first 412 of the images as its filename buffer could not handle any more than that, later TVs did better.

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II +10 more
Guy Parsons

ken_in_nh wrote:

We have a Facebook Portal (our kid works there - it was a gift) that shows spouse's iphone photos when it's idle, not talking to the kid, which is almost always. I really enjoy seeing the photos, more than I ever expected.

Seeing photos on a screen is a different experience than seeing them on a print, and the Portal is different from my color calibrated photo monitor. Each is enjoyable in its own way.

On the notebook that I am using now - it is attached to a 24 inch Philips monitor that is calibrated and does display almost 100% sRGB gamut. When I power up in the mornings and wake it from sleep, the Windows display before I log in simply randomly slide shows anything from the last 20 years or so of our digital photography. Some surprises at times, "can't remember being there" or "forgot about that good one" often crosses my mind as I waste a little contemplation time before logging in.

But, being Windows - while the awake from sleep slideshow works fine, it will not run after logging in so I'm stuck with the same single frame from the metro train in Taiwan somewhere.........

Must change this one day, maybe today. Nope, tried and it's still stuck in the metro.

Sony RX100 VI Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II +10 more
Bobthearch

sybersitizen wrote:

Bobthearch wrote:

A 43" 4k television monitor costs $230.

A good photo frame isn't that much cheaper, it's a fraction of the size, and you're very limited what you can do with it. With a monitor you can display videos, programmed slideshows, still photos...  You can connect it to any PC or laptop, smartphone or tablet, cable tv system, PC stick or Chromebit, home network, DVD/BluRay player, or load images direct from a flash drive or SD card.

-- hide signature --

Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II +2 more

Bobthearch wrote:

sybersitizen wrote:

Bobthearch wrote:

Look at previous posts to understand why a photo frame and a television are not interchangeable products, and why photo frames don't need to be 4K. Also recognize that photo frames cost only a fraction of $300.

A 43" 4k television monitor costs $230.

A good photo frame isn't that much cheaper, it's a fraction of the size, and you're very limited what you can do with it. With a monitor you can display videos, programmed slideshows, still photos... You can connect it to any PC or laptop, smartphone or tablet, cable tv system, PC stick or Chromebit, home network, DVD/BluRay player, or load images direct from a flash drive or SD card.

Look at previous posts to understand why a photo frame and a television are not interchangeable products, and why photo frames don't need to be 4K. Also recognize that photo frames can be had at only a fraction of $230 - like $20-$50. Also recognize that one reason for choosing a photo frame for a particular purpose rather than using a television is exactly because it is a fraction of the size.

If after considering everything that has been said by myself and some others in this short thread, you still cannot understand why other people make choices that are not the same as yours, just stop trying. You do not need to understand it, and nobody here needs you to understand it.

Bob Janes
Bob Janes Veteran Member • Posts: 4,030

softmarmotte wrote:

thanks

They work very well for archives of family photographs.

I tend to have my computer screen (which is in a corner of the dining room) with a slideshow of old shots as a screen saver. This generates lots of conversations about family members (from 'Who on earth is that!" to "Do you remember...?")

I'm looking a dedicated device for my father, who lives alone and does not have a PC. But I'm looking for something at about 8-10" with reasonable resolution.

-- hide signature --

Save a life, become a stem-cell donor.
Hello to Jason Isaacs!
https://bobjanes.smugmug.com/PoTB/
Please respect a BY-NC-ND cc licence on all my public internet images

Bob Janes's gear list:Bob Janes's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha a99 Sony a7 II +3 more
ChuckB Contributing Member • Posts: 642

Choices - we all have 'em from cheap used frames to large screen 4k TVs. To each his own.

What I have is PTE, a slide show creator with the option to make an MP4 out of the slide show. This means that I can make an MP4 with all the transitions and effects I want. Then any hardware media player can plug into to any HDMI equipped TV of any size. If you want it even simpler, get a Roku TV and use the included Roku Media Player and a flash drive with your MP4 on it.

ChuckB's gear list:ChuckB's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX100 III Sony RX10 III Sony a77 II Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM +6 more
Guy Parsons
Slideshows

ChuckB wrote:

Choices - we all have 'em from cheap used frames to large screen 4k TVs. To each his own.

What I have is PTE, a slide show creator with the option to make an MP4 out of the slide show. This means that I can make an MP4 with all the transitions and effects I want. Then any hardware media player can plug into to any HDMI equipped TV of any size. If you want it even simpler, get a Roku TV and use the included Roku Media Player and a flash drive with your MP4 on it.

Re: Your mentioning of PTE.....

Long time user of ProShow Gold but never really used it enough and now that company has folded its tent and departed before I really got involved thoroughly.

So what to replace it and hopefully improve on it?

Is PTE the best thing around or are there any others in that league, or better?

Any advice or comments welcome, thanks.

Bobthearch
Re: Slideshows

Guy Parsons wrote:

ChuckB wrote:

Re: Your mentioning of PTE.....

Long time user of ProShow Gold but never really used it enough and now that company has folded its tent and departed before I really got involved thoroughly.

So what to replace it and hopefully improve on it?

You can use video editing software to make a photo slideshow. Transitions, music and sound effects, movement/panning, etc.

But there a couple of things I haven't gotten a video editor to do. For instance the slideshow software I previously used ( MySlideShow Gold, which I haven't investigated in years ) could compile the slideshow into a Windows executable file.

-- hide signature --

ChuckB Contributing Member • Posts: 642

Guy Parsons wrote:

Sorry but PTE is the only slide show editor I have used. I don't even know the names of the competitors.

ChuckB's gear list:ChuckB's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX100 III Sony RX10 III Sony a77 II Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM +6 more
Guy Parsons

ChuckB wrote:

Guy Parsons wrote:

Sorry but PTE is the only slide show editor I have used. I don't even know the names of the competitors.

OK, thanks. I have been scouring the PTE pages and tutorials for seeing what it can do and I think it will be what I end up with. Some pretty fancy tricks available in there. Though I am a believer of keeping it simple and easy to watch so won't be trying to add all known features into the one show, that is always stressful for viewers.

One early days mistake of mine was creating a slideshow on a desktop monitor, then later showing it on a large TV. Mistake, too much pan and zoom movement on a big screen makes for sea-sickness. Must test a review on a large screen before final product produced. Subtle movements work best in my view.

My mental gold standard of a good slideshow was something I saw in a shopping mall in possibly Massachusetts in 1977. It was a New Hampshire "come visit us" slideshow booth that absolutely floored me with the style and presentation and dynamic showing. In those days of course it was a bunch of synchronised Carousel projectors, I counted 9 of them working. It created a show that would have matched what PTE seems to do. Amazing, I still remember it well.

softmarmotte
OP softmarmotte Senior Member • Posts: 2,120

thanks for all the feedback, comments and info, guys

as always interesting and useful

-- hide signature --

anyone is welcome to do anything they want with my images except sell them for profit
https://www.flickr.com/photos/softmarmotte/

softmarmotte's gear list:softmarmotte's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads