digital photo frames

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
softmarmotte
softmarmotte Senior Member • Posts: 1,943
digital photo frames

i haven't seen any mention of these on the fora

and i am sure there are going to be plenty of 'why do you want want one of those' sneers but does anyone have any recommendations ?

prefer 4:3 aspect and larger than 12 inch..

thanks

-- hide signature --

anyone is welcome to do anything they want with my images except sell them for profit
https://www.flickr.com/photos/softmarmotte/

softmarmotte's gear list:softmarmotte's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +9 more
mrdale Regular Member • Posts: 241
Re: digital photo frames

I don't currently own a digital frame but recently researched what is available. They can get pricey so I haven't made a choice as yet. Here is a link to the one I liked.

dale

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MTWDG6W?ots=1&slotNum=10&imprToken=ecbaaae1-7758-31cc-aa7&ascsubtag=[]st[p]cjhs85hyt001xzay68g0e8lj7[i]Zvsk1I[d]D[z]m[t]w[r]google.com&tag=thestrategistsite-20

Andy873 Regular Member • Posts: 460

softmarmotte wrote:

and i am sure there are going to be plenty of 'why do you want want one of those' sneers but does anyone have any recommendations ?

thanks

Because those things have such horrible screens nobody would want to view any photos on them.

The only worthwhile digital photo frame is an used iPad, or a new iPad, if you can afford it.

mrdale Regular Member • Posts: 241

Another link to the pix star. This review likes the picture quality.

https://www.tomsguide.com/best-picks/best-digital-photo-frames

softmarmotte
OP softmarmotte Senior Member • Posts: 1,943

Andy873 wrote:

softmarmotte wrote:

thanks

Because those things have such horrible screens nobody would want to view any photos on them.

The only worthwhile digital photo frame is an used iPad, or a new iPad, if you can afford it.

thanks for the first sneer (check)

i think you better check the resolution of apple gear...it's not all you think

-- hide signature --

anyone is welcome to do anything they want with my images except sell them for profit

Sony RX100 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +9 more
Andy873 Regular Member • Posts: 460

softmarmotte wrote:

Andy873 wrote:

softmarmotte wrote:

thanks

Why would I need to check the resolution? It's good enough for close viewing it's certainly good enough for a photo frame.

softmarmotte

Andy873 wrote:

softmarmotte wrote:

Andy873 wrote:

softmarmotte wrote:

thanks

Why would I need to check the resolution? It's good enough for close viewing it's certainly good enough for a photo frame.

because you told us all that dpfs have terrible screens and ipads are better. a casual glance at the specs of several screens compared to the ipad and the resolution of the ipad is far inferior

-- hide signature --

Phil A Martin
Phil A Martin Senior Member • Posts: 2,699

softmarmotte wrote:

Andy873 wrote:

softmarmotte wrote:

thanks

Sony used to make a TV where the screen looked like it had been window mounted. Maybe one of those would suffice?

sybersitizen Forum Pro • Posts: 18,600

Andy873 wrote:

softmarmotte wrote:

and i am sure there are going to be plenty of 'why do you want want one of those' sneers ...

Congratulations for being predictable. But of course you're wrong.

I happen to be somebody. I have two inexpensive digital frames, and their display characteristics are perfectly fine for their purpose. I'm sure there are plenty of other owners out there whose requirements have nothing to do with pixel peeping scrutiny.

does anyone have any recommendations ?

One feature I kind of wish mine had is wireless connectivity. Once I load a memory card with images, it's a long time before I get around to updating it with new files. I might be more proactive with that if immediate access to my archives was available ... or maybe not.

Bobthearch
Bobthearch Veteran Member • Posts: 9,733

My recommendation is probably just to get a television monitor.  You can run an entire operating system from a small USB device, or simply put the photos on a flash drive.

-- hide signature --

Personal non-commercial websites with no ads or tracking:
Local photography: http://ratonphotos.com/
Travel and photography: http://placesandpics.com/
Special-interest photos: http://ghosttowns.placesandpics.com/

Bobthearch's gear list:Bobthearch's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II +2 more
softmarmotte

sybersitizen wrote:

Andy873 wrote:

softmarmotte wrote:

and i am sure there are going to be plenty of 'why do you want want one of those' sneers ...

I happen to be somebody. I have two inexpensive digital frames, and their display characteristics are perfectly fine for their purpose. I'm sure there are plenty of other owners out there whose requirements have nothing to do with pixel peeping scrutiny.

One feature I kind of wish mine had is wireless connectivity. Once I load a memory card with images, it's a long time before I get around to updating it with new files. I might be more proactive with that if immediate access to my archives was available ... or maybe not.

let me know which ones ?

-- hide signature --

softmarmotte wrote:

sybersitizen wrote:

Andy873 wrote:

softmarmotte wrote:

let me know which ones ?

The two that I own? They're several years old and much smaller than what you're looking for, but the brand names are Insignia and Pandigital.

hotdog321
hotdog321 Forum Pro • Posts: 20,899
NIX

I've run a digital photo frame for years--I enjoy the automatic display of vacation and personal photos, especially during the pandemic.

I like the IQ of my NIX photo frame--not sure of the model number but it is roughly 13-14" diagonally. They are available in a range of sizes.

PS--I'm a pro and the IQ is pretty good.

-- hide signature --
 hotdog321's gear list:hotdog321's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +3 more
BertIverson Veteran Member • Posts: 4,142

softmarmotte wrote:

thanks

FWIW, mine is a $200 43" 4K TV (8 MP) run by $300 BeeLink mini Windows 10 PC. Mostly it is on auto pilot with 300 "OldMasters" paintings which change about every 15 minutes. It hangs on the dominant wall of my computer room.

-- hide signature --

Bert

BertIverson's gear list:BertIverson's gear list
Sony RX10 IV +5 more
Guy Parsons
Guy Parsons Forum Pro • Posts: 35,496

softmarmotte wrote:

Yesterday's gadget, but still useful. Most would now arrange images to stream to their TV.

thanks

Long time since I played, but a survivor is a 10" Kodak frame that seems OK.

In experimenting with a variety of frames years ago I found the best results came from supplying it with images cropped to the aspect ratio of the screen and resized to exactly twice the pixel dimensions of the screen. That looked better than using images of exactly the pixel dimensions. Larger than twice had no benefit.

Things always looked better with a bit of over-enthusiastic sharpening and contrast and saturation enhancements when on the small screen.

But they are still "dead" stills. Better is to make a movie type file to display made up of those same stills but adding a tiny bit of Ken Burns effect to get a slight zoom and/or pan happening. That way stills look a bit alive. I used to use ProShow Gold for that but they are now dead so there must be some good substitute.

Warning with Ken Burns effect is that the bigger the screen the more careful you need to be to slow down and lessen the effect as too much movement on say  a 50" screen would need each chair to be provided with sick bags.

Basically, fun gadgets to play with.

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II +10 more
Peter Del Veteran Member • Posts: 6,857

If a square one was made, so that landscapes and portraits awere displayed the same size, I would buy it.

Peter Del

Peter Del's gear list:Peter Del's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN-F Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +5 more

Guy Parsons wrote:

softmarmotte wrote:

Yesterday's gadget, but still useful. Most would now arrange images to stream to their TV.

There's a rather significant difference between watching a slideshow on a TV and having a digital frame in some other more personal area of the home that just cycles through images in a subtle way. One does not replace the other.

But they are still "dead" stills. Better is to make a movie type file to display made up of those same stills but adding a tiny bit of Ken Burns effect to get a slight zoom and/or pan happening. That way stills look a bit alive.

One of my little digital frames does that by itself. The other can play audio files, too. A third larger one that should be in my hands tomorrow has built-in speakers and can also play video files.

David Pavlich
David Pavlich Veteran Member • Posts: 4,414
Re: NIX

hotdog321 wrote:

I've run a digital photo frame for years--I enjoy the automatic display of vacation and personal photos, especially during the pandemic.

I like the IQ of my NIX photo frame--not sure of the model number but it is roughly 13-14" diagonally. They are available in a range of sizes.

PS--I'm a pro and the IQ is pretty good.

We have a Nix in our kitchen, though a bit smaller than yours.  It's nice to see old photos of family, friends, and events.

David

-- hide signature --

"The world doesn't need you...." Gene Simmons
Viewbug: https://www.viewbug.com/member/David_Pavlich

David Pavlich's gear list:David Pavlich's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD +1 more
Coaster95 Regular Member • Posts: 165

sybersitizen wrote:

There's a rather significant difference between watching a slideshow on a TV and having a digital frame in some other more personal area of the home that just cycles through images in a subtle way. One does not replace the other.

Completely agree, we have two of the Nixplay frames, they are quite expensive but excellent image quality. The wifi ones enable you to upload photos on your computer and build up albums and playlists to send to your own frames or if you want those of family members. You get plenty of free storage so it's a useful back up for those photos. The latest one we bought is the 9.7" (same size as an iPad) in a 4:3 ratio. The size is perfect for us, we don't want it to to look like a small TV in the corner. We have a few thousand photos on the system now and have it on a 15 second cycle. it has a motion sensor so switches off when there's no-one around to save energy. It's a great way of showing off those photos that you don't see that often, especially with the demise of photo albums (does anyone still make those?)

We also make slideshows for TV showing (3:2 shots using Ken Burns to show in 16:9 works well) but they just get watched occasionally.

Coaster95's gear list:Coaster95's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Sony RX100 VI Olympus OM-D E-M10
Bob A L Senior Member • Posts: 2,506

softmarmotte wrote:

because you told us all that dpfs have terrible screens and ipads are better. a casual glance at the specs of several screens compared to the ipad and the resolution of the ipad is far inferior

Can you share information on these? Any I have found are no where near the resolution of an I pad. Most are even less than typical cheap monitors.

I'd like to check them out if they are out there.

Just checked and current ipads appear to be over 250 pixels per inch - I did not find a photo display setup that was over 100.  But I don't know where to look for the good ones.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads