Wisconsin in the Fall, Last Weekend (Mid October)

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
EchoFree Forum Member • Posts: 78
Wisconsin in the Fall, Last Weekend (Mid October)

Hi all,

Last weekend the wife and I went on a trip to Wisconsin to do some hiking in the fall weather. I have never been to Wisconsin before, but it was quite nice. A few shots below, all taken with my EM1.2, 12-40 mm pro lens.

The Hans Hansen House in Sturgeon Bay

I liked this old, abandoned police car.

Incredibly powerful waves on Lake Michigan. I am use to lakes being calm bodies of water.

John Deere

I love this shot, but the sky was overcast and lifeless.

Bonus / Pseudo Reality Shots

I have been fiddling around with Photoshop's new "Sky Replacement." Here is the immediately above shot with that feature utilized and one of their stock sky templates:

I have to admit that I like this more than the original.

This shot has also undergone "Sky Replacement" in Photoshop.

Feel free to download if you want to re-post to this thread.

-- hide signature --

C&C welcome, but please don't download my images unless specifically stated.

Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
john isaacs Veteran Member • Posts: 4,833
Re: Wisconsin in the Fall, Last Weekend (Mid October)

You should pay attention to your shadows when doing sky replacement.  Neither of your shots match up.   While your second fake sky would be better on the first scene, neither works on the second scene.

john isaacs's gear list:john isaacs's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Nikon D750 Olympus E-M5 II Nikon D500 Olympus E-M1 II +16 more
Confusedabit Senior Member • Posts: 1,228

Those waves are something for a lake.

This sky replacement does worry me as it just negates the camera as any sort of recording device of a real scene. The person, the scene and the camera just is being marginalised all the time in the move to a virtual all things are possible machine dreamscape. Yet another nail in the camera's coffin?

Confusedabit's gear list:Confusedabit's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5 X Canon PowerShot SX620 HS Nikon Coolpix A1000 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-PL8 +6 more
OP EchoFree Forum Member • Posts: 78

john isaacs wrote:

You should pay attention to your shadows when doing sky replacement. Neither of your shots match up. While your second fake sky would be better on the first scene, neither works on the second scene.

Thanks. It’s definitely something I have a lot to learn about. I am not even sure where I stand on sky replacement in the first place and whether it’s something I’m interested in further. I really like getting up early and aiming to get a good shot. But I could see circumstances where I will never be able to recreate the scene, but the sky just isn’t cooperating. So I see it having pros and cons.

-- hide signature --

Digital Dick Senior Member • Posts: 2,108

There is a lot of controversy going around about the use of the sky replacements tools in the latest post processing software. To pull it off successfully you need to match the shadows and lighting angles, the contrast between the sky and the ground and the relative focal lengths. Whether it's fair or cheating is another matter.

One of the best uses I seen for the tool is to use the sky replacement tool to create a very accurate delicate selection around dappled foliage. D Griff shows how he uses the tool when he has an almost washed out gray sky above a scene of the English countryside. He applies the mask generated by the tool to his washed out sky to a separate copy layer in PS and then works on the original sky to darken and bring out the sky details in ACR. It saves a serious amount in processing time relative to building your own mask from scratch. The results are outstanding and of course since it's the original sky, the lighting angles and shadows match perfectly. He show an example in this short video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcjKKqfCLCI

Dick

Digital Dick's gear list:Digital Dick's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M5 II
108 Senior Member • Posts: 1,186

I like this shot too although when blown up it seems to suffer from oversharpening , unless this is a normal output of the 12-40 I don't know .

Now for the fake sky, it is as usual a matter between you and yourself : happy with displaying a fake photo all the while knowing you are cheating ?

108's gear list:108's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10
OP EchoFree Forum Member • Posts: 78

108 wrote:

I like this shot too although when blown up it seems to suffer from oversharpening , unless this is a normal output of the 12-40 I don't know .

Now for the fake sky, it is as usual a matter between you and yourself : happy with displaying a fake photo all the while knowing you are cheating ?

I just checked Lightroom and the sharpness is was set at 40.

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads