Huawei mate 40 pro - the best smartphone for photography?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
albero Regular Member • Posts: 249
Huawei mate 40 pro - the best smartphone for photography?

Probably the answer is "Yes" considered the test shots of this review:

https://www.dxomark.com/huawei-mate-40-pro-camera-review-dynamic-range-monster/

I am impressed about the capability of this company to continue to improve even further an already top cameraphone like the P40 pro after few months from his launch. I'm excited to try the further enhanced dynamic range of those pocket cameras!

Huawei P40 pro 1s 1250 ISO handheld

Shooting in low light the highlight clipping is a common limit found for the smartphones.

Apart from the camera excitement I hope that for the next P50 line Huawei engineers reconsider three non sense design related solutions:

- the curved edge display for a perfectly flat one much more ergonomic in such small devices

- a hard plastic or aluminium construction for improved resistance to bumps

- a more common headphone jack with universal support

Please, Huawei hear the customers voice.Thanks.

 albero's gear list:albero's gear list
Nikon Z6
Nikon Coolpix P50
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Drzewoid Regular Member • Posts: 376
Re: Huawei mate 40 pro - the best smartphone for photography?

albero wrote:

Probably the answer is "Yes" considered the test shots of this review:

https://www.dxomark.com/huawei-mate-40-pro-camera-review-dynamic-range-monster/

I am impressed about the capability of this company to continue to improve even further an already top cameraphone like the P40 pro after few months from his launch. I'm excited to try the further enhanced dynamic range of those pocket cameras!

Huawei P40 pro 1s 1250 ISO handheld

Shooting in low light the highlight clipping is a common limit found for the smartphones.

Apart from the camera excitement I hope that for the next P50 line Huawei engineers reconsider three non sense design related solutions:

- the curved edge display for a perfectly flat one much more ergonomic in such small devices

- a hard plastic or aluminium construction for improved resistance to bumps

- a more common headphone jack with universal support

Please, Huawei hear the customers voice.Thanks.

Agree. I think if You have P40 PRO You don't have reasons to switch on Mate 40 PRO - they little bit polished SOCC, but proably in firmware updatest it will be available for P40 PRO. For me - Mate 30 PRO user - it's big upgrade and way more natural looking photos, i'm hope Plus version will be launched globaly.

OP albero Regular Member • Posts: 249
Re: Huawei mate 40 pro - the best smartphone for photography?

Drzewoid wrote:

albero wrote:

Probably the answer is "Yes" considered the test shots of this review:

https://www.dxomark.com/huawei-mate-40-pro-camera-review-dynamic-range-monster/

I am impressed about the capability of this company to continue to improve even further an already top cameraphone like the P40 pro after few months from his launch. I'm excited to try the further enhanced dynamic range of those pocket cameras!

Huawei P40 pro 1s 1250 ISO handheld

Shooting in low light the highlight clipping is a common limit found for the smartphones.

Apart from the camera excitement I hope that for the next P50 line Huawei engineers reconsider three non sense design related solutions:

- the curved edge display for a perfectly flat one much more ergonomic in such small devices

- a hard plastic or aluminium construction for improved resistance to bumps

- a more common headphone jack with universal support

Please, Huawei hear the customers voice.Thanks.

Agree. I think if You have P40 PRO You don't have reasons to switch on Mate 40 PRO - they little bit polished SOCC, but proably in firmware updatest it will be available for P40 PRO. For me - Mate 30 PRO user - it's big upgrade and way more natural looking photos, i'm hope Plus version will be launched globaly.

Probably you are right. Thanks for your suggestion.

 albero's gear list:albero's gear list
Nikon Z6
Dexter75 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,909
Re: Huawei mate 40 pro - the best smartphone for photography?
1

albero wrote:

Probably the answer is "Yes" considered the test shots of this review:

https://www.dxomark.com/huawei-mate-40-pro-camera-review-dynamic-range-monster/

I am impressed about the capability of this company to continue to improve even further an already top cameraphone like the P40 pro after few months from his launch. I'm excited to try the further enhanced dynamic range of those pocket cameras!

Huawei P40 pro 1s 1250 ISO handheld

Shooting in low light the highlight clipping is a common limit found for the smartphones.

Apart from the camera excitement I hope that for the next P50 line Huawei engineers reconsider three non sense design related solutions:

- the curved edge display for a perfectly flat one much more ergonomic in such small devices

- a hard plastic or aluminium construction for improved resistance to bumps

- a more common headphone jack with universal support

Please, Huawei hear the customers voice.Thanks.

That shot looks terrible, even before you click on it. Can see a ton of noise and mushy details. at 100% its even worse. Im sorry but I wouldn't be calling that camera the best and using that photo as an example. The cameras dont have any stabilization either. Lets wait for the iPhone 12 Pro and 12 Pro Max reviews.

Also, the telephoto camera is very disappointing with a tiny sensor and very slow lens

Tele: 12 MP 1/3.56″ sensor, 125mm-equivalent f/3.4-aperture lens.

The 12 Pro Max has a 1/2.55" sensor f/2.2 lens with OIS that can also shoot night mode.

Drzewoid Regular Member • Posts: 376
Re: Huawei mate 40 pro - the best smartphone for photography?

Dexter75 wrote:

That shot looks terrible, even before you click on it. Can see a ton of noise and mushy details. at 100% its even worse. Im sorry but I wouldn't be calling that camera the best and using that photo as an example. The cameras dont have any stabilization either. Lets wait for the iPhone 12 Pro and 12 Pro Max reviews.

Also, the telephoto camera is very disappointing with a tiny sensor and very slow lens

Tele: 12 MP 1/3.56″ sensor, 125mm-equivalent f/3.4-aperture lens.

Check parameteres of this photo - very high iso and long 1s exposure time and even without tripod. If You want example of auto photos take here from old Mate 30 PRO - all in auto mode without night mode!

The 12 Pro Max has a 1/2.55" sensor f/2.2 lens with OIS that can also shoot night mode.

Great, on paper it's very promising, but old mate 30 pro have 3x tele sensor f2.4 with night mode too and even without night mode produce photos like this. In my opinion 12 pro max will be catching old mate 30 pro, new one is out of range completely.

Dexter75 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,909
Re: Huawei mate 40 pro - the best smartphone for photography?
1

Drzewoid wrote:

Dexter75 wrote:

That shot looks terrible, even before you click on it. Can see a ton of noise and mushy details. at 100% its even worse. Im sorry but I wouldn't be calling that camera the best and using that photo as an example. The cameras dont have any stabilization either. Lets wait for the iPhone 12 Pro and 12 Pro Max reviews.

Also, the telephoto camera is very disappointing with a tiny sensor and very slow lens

Tele: 12 MP 1/3.56″ sensor, 125mm-equivalent f/3.4-aperture lens.

Check parameteres of this photo - very high iso and long 1s exposure time and even without tripod. If You want example of auto photos take here from old Mate 30 PRO - all in auto mode without night mode!

A 1 second exposure hand held is nothing. Check 7:05 of this video where he gets an awesome shot in darkness with a 3 second exposure hand held. Much better than the examples you've shown here.

TravelLurker Junior Member • Posts: 47
Re: Huawei mate 40 pro - the best smartphone for photography?

As as a Mate 20 Pro, (which has a good camera, but i'm always looking for better) the Mate 40 looks very appealing indeed....

....but the big big issues is that due to 'politics' around Huawei there is still no Play store on these phones -  which makes the phone basically useless as there are very very few apps for it outside of China. I feel like the reviews of this phone don't make this clear enough - great camera, but useless when you need to download essential apps like the one for your local bank.

OP albero Regular Member • Posts: 249
Re: Huawei mate 40 pro - the best smartphone for photography?

Dexter75 wrote:

albero wrote:

Probably the answer is "Yes" considered the test shots of this review:

https://www.dxomark.com/huawei-mate-40-pro-camera-review-dynamic-range-monster/

I am impressed about the capability of this company to continue to improve even further an already top cameraphone like the P40 pro after few months from his launch. I'm excited to try the further enhanced dynamic range of those pocket cameras!

Huawei P40 pro 1s 1250 ISO handheld

Shooting in low light the highlight clipping is a common limit found for the smartphones.

Apart from the camera excitement I hope that for the next P50 line Huawei engineers reconsider three non sense design related solutions:

- the curved edge display for a perfectly flat one much more ergonomic in such small devices

- a hard plastic or aluminium construction for improved resistance to bumps

- a more common headphone jack with universal support

Please, Huawei hear the customers voice.Thanks.

That shot looks terrible, even before you click on it. Can see a ton of noise and mushy details. at 100% its even worse. Im sorry but I wouldn't be calling that camera the best and using that photo as an example. The cameras dont have any stabilization either. Lets wait for the iPhone 12 Pro and 12 Pro Max reviews.

Also, the telephoto camera is very disappointing with a tiny sensor and very slow lens

Tele: 12 MP 1/3.56″ sensor, 125mm-equivalent f/3.4-aperture lens.

The 12 Pro Max has a 1/2.55" sensor f/2.2 lens with OIS that can also shoot night mode.

The shot is not executed in "night mode" in that case several frames are acquired in rapid succession and averaged to remove the noise. And clearly this is not the case.

My aim is to show the highlight clipping of the lamps if you shoot during night time. This is a limitation for some applications.

The wide angle and tele lens of the Huawei P40 are stabilized, otherwise you could not shoot such type of photographs handheld:

HUAWEI P40 PRO 5x zoom lens

You can check the details of the camera with OIS here:

https://www.dxomark.com/updated-huawei-p40-pro-camera-review-great-stills-outstanding-video/

Instead if you want an example of what this smartphone can do in night mode handheld please check the exif data (and noise) of the following images:

HUAWEI P40 PRO 4 second handheld

HUAWEI P40 PRO 10 second handheld

HUAWEI P40 PRO 8 second handheld moonlit landscape

 albero's gear list:albero's gear list
Nikon Z6
OP albero Regular Member • Posts: 249
Re: Huawei mate 40 pro - the best smartphone for photography?

Huawei mate 40 pro vs iphone 12 comparison

https://www.xda-developers.com/huawei-mate-40-pro-hands-on-preview/

 albero's gear list:albero's gear list
Nikon Z6
Dexter75 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,909
Re: Huawei mate 40 pro - the best smartphone for photography?

albero wrote:

Huawei mate 40 pro vs iphone 12 comparison

https://www.xda-developers.com/huawei-mate-40-pro-hands-on-preview/

Kinda useless, he didnt even compare it to the 12 Pro, which has a much better camera system than the regular iPhone 12. Probably because he's clearly a Huawei fan. The 12 Pro Max should beat the Mate 40 Pro, especially when Apple ProRAW is released.

Panino Manino
Panino Manino Regular Member • Posts: 346
Re: Huawei mate 40 pro - the best smartphone for photography?

Dexter75 wrote:

because he's clearly a Huawei fan.

Or because he tested the phones he had to test.

Dexter75 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,909
Re: Huawei mate 40 pro - the best smartphone for photography?

Panino Manino wrote:

Dexter75 wrote:

because he's clearly a Huawei fan.

Or because he tested the phones he had to test.

Why even bother comparing a pro model camera to a lesser one with an inferior camera setup? He did it just to make the Huawei look better. The iPhone 12 Pro is a much better camera system and would have easily kept up or beat the Huwaei.

OP albero Regular Member • Posts: 249
Re: Huawei mate 40 pro - the best smartphone for photography?

Dexter75 wrote:

albero wrote:

Huawei mate 40 pro vs iphone 12 comparison

https://www.xda-developers.com/huawei-mate-40-pro-hands-on-preview/

Kinda useless, he didnt even compare it to the 12 Pro, which has a much better camera system than the regular iPhone 12. Probably because he's clearly a Huawei fan. The 12 Pro Max should beat the Mate 40 Pro, especially when Apple ProRAW is released.

Wrong, sorry, Ben Sin refers to the Apple Iphone 12 pro in his Huawei mate 40 pro  hands on video and checking both phones he says it is superior for video but not for stills.

Please, watch carefully this video report:

https://youtu.be/8a_3aHlxGu4

 albero's gear list:albero's gear list
Nikon Z6
Panino Manino
Panino Manino Regular Member • Posts: 346
Re: Huawei mate 40 pro - the best smartphone for photography?

Dexter75 wrote:

Panino Manino wrote:

Dexter75 wrote:

because he's clearly a Huawei fan.

Or because he tested the phones he had to test.

Why even bother comparing a pro model camera to a lesser one with an inferior camera setup? He did it just to make the Huawei look better. The iPhone 12 Pro is a much better camera system and would have easily kept up or beat the Huwaei.

The camera is basically the same, the one that have a different setup is the "Max" model.

EDIT: comparison with the Pro model and the Pixel 5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LM5aq4T9XA

Dexter75 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,909
Re: Huawei mate 40 pro - the best smartphone for photography?

Panino Manino wrote:

Dexter75 wrote:

Panino Manino wrote:

Dexter75 wrote:

because he's clearly a Huawei fan.

Or because he tested the phones he had to test.

Why even bother comparing a pro model camera to a lesser one with an inferior camera setup? He did it just to make the Huawei look better. The iPhone 12 Pro is a much better camera system and would have easily kept up or beat the Huwaei.

The camera is basically the same, the one that have a different setup is the "Max" model.

EDIT: comparison with the Pro model and the Pixel 5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LM5aq4T9XA

Ummm, no, it’s not. The 12 Pro has a larger sensor, better lenses and a LiDAR sensor. It’s not even close between the 12 and 12 Pro.

That guy is such a Huwaei fan boy, his reviews are useless.

Panino Manino
Panino Manino Regular Member • Posts: 346
Re: Huawei mate 40 pro - the best smartphone for photography?

Dexter75 wrote:

Ummm, no, it’s not. The 12 Pro has a larger sensor, better lenses and a LiDAR sensor. It’s not even close between the 12 and 12 Pro.

The model with larger sensor is the Max model.
The regular Pro model have the same setup as the non-Pro plus the zoo,.

Dexter75 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,909
Re: Huawei mate 40 pro - the best smartphone for photography?

Panino Manino wrote:

Dexter75 wrote:

Ummm, no, it’s not. The 12 Pro has a larger sensor, better lenses and a LiDAR sensor. It’s not even close between the 12 and 12 Pro.

The model with larger sensor is the Max model.
The regular Pro model have the same setup as the non-Pro plus the zoo,.

You are right, same sensor and lens, but the 12 doesn't have the telephoto camera or the LiDAR sensor, and it won't be able to shoot ProRAW.

Panino Manino
Panino Manino Regular Member • Posts: 346
Re: Huawei mate 40 pro - the best smartphone for photography?

Dexter75 wrote:

You are right, same sensor and lens, but the 12 doesn't have the telephoto camera or the LiDAR sensor, and it won't be able to shoot ProRAW.

Seriously? For no reason?

John Fantastic Regular Member • Posts: 128
Re: Huawei mate 40 pro - the best smartphone for photography?

Although I have a Huawei P30 Pro and I like its camera I dont think I would consider the P40 which is a non-android phone.

Dexter75 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,909
Re: Huawei mate 40 pro - the best smartphone for photography?

Panino Manino wrote:

Dexter75 wrote:

You are right, same sensor and lens, but the 12 doesn't have the telephoto camera or the LiDAR sensor, and it won't be able to shoot ProRAW.

Seriously? For no reason?

Because Apple wants the pro models to have the pro hardware and software

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads