Capture One - how do I stop the software from auto-cutting the corners of my photos?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
chapada Regular Member • Posts: 253
Capture One - how do I stop the software from auto-cutting the corners of my photos?

So I noticed this before but I didn't care much but now I don't want it anymore. Whenever I take any photo at 16mm I notice that Capture One is removing a lot of the photo. Here's a screenshot that shows my problem:

How do I stop this from happening? It's not present at photos taken at 50mm for example.

chapada's gear list:chapada's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8
JEHE Regular Member • Posts: 116
Re: Capture One - how do I stop the software from auto-cutting the corners of my photos?

Probably distortion correction applied. Try changing this setting to 0.

-- hide signature --

Jeroen

JEHE's gear list:JEHE's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E2S Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +3 more
OP chapada Regular Member • Posts: 253
Re: Capture One - how do I stop the software from auto-cutting the corners of my photos?

Well if it's helpful I will leave it as is!

chapada's gear list:chapada's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8
JEHE Regular Member • Posts: 116

For architecture it might be helpful. For landscapes less so.

-- hide signature --

Jeroen

JEHE's gear list:JEHE's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E2S Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +3 more
TonyGN10 Regular Member • Posts: 391

chapada wrote:

So I noticed this before but I didn't care much but now I don't want it anymore. Whenever I take any photo at 16mm I notice that Capture One is removing a lot of the photo. Here's a screenshot that shows my problem:

How do I stop this from happening? It's not present at photos taken at 50mm for example.

That's C1 applying lens correction for that particular lens (ie correcting for distortion which usually occurs more at the corners/edges) - wider lens usually have more distortion and hence you lose more when it is corrected.

But if you want to remove the correction, just go to the Lens Correction tool tab and either press on the 3 dots and chose "Disable default lens correction" (C1 won't apply the lens correction on future images) or use the Distortion slider to reduce the amount of correction.

TonyGN10's gear list:TonyGN10's gear list
Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR Fujifilm X-T2 Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Phase One Capture One Pro +3 more
Homo erectus
Homo erectus Contributing Member • Posts: 786
Hide Distorted Areas setting

In the lens correction section, under "Lens" there's a check box that says "Hide Distorted Areas". It's checked by default.

Homo erectus's gear list:Homo erectus's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-T3 XF 90mm Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm 50-230mm II +3 more
fujiian
fujiian Regular Member • Posts: 403

TonyGN10 wrote:

chapada wrote:

That's C1 applying lens correction for that particular lens (ie correcting for distortion which usually occurs more at the corners/edges) - wider lens usually have more distortion and hence you lose more when it is corrected.

But if you want to remove the correction, just go to the Lens Correction tool tab and either press on the 3 dots and chose "Disable default lens correction" (C1 won't apply the lens correction on future images) or use the Distortion slider to reduce the amount of correction.

Peppering in that C1 doesn't always pick the correct number on that slider. It's pretty smart, and usually gets close, but you'll want to keep an eye on and occasionally tweak it.

For example, my 16-55 (which suffers from a pretty heavy distortion on the wide and tele ends) is auto-corrected by this C1 slider. However, this automatic assignment starts at 100 on the wide end, plummets straight to zero for standard FLs, and then shoots up to 100 again at 50+mm.

This is consistent with the lens' natural distortion 'zones', but the 0-100 jump can over- or under-correct images taken with FLs on the boundaries between these 'zones'.

fujiian's gear list:fujiian's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +4 more
VisuallyOriented Regular Member • Posts: 368

fujiian wrote:

TonyGN10 wrote:

chapada wrote:

Peppering in that C1 doesn't always pick the correct number on that slider. It's pretty smart, and usually gets close, but you'll want to keep an eye on and occasionally tweak it.

For example, my 16-55 (which suffers from a pretty heavy distortion on the wide and tele ends) is auto-corrected by this C1 slider. However, this automatic assignment starts at 100 on the wide end, plummets straight to zero for standard FLs, and then shoots up to 100 again at 50+mm.

This is consistent with the lens' natural distortion 'zones', but the 0-100 jump can over- or under-correct images taken with FLs on the boundaries between these 'zones'.

I had never noticed C1 automatically cropping my images until recently when I noticed the crop on images taken with my recently acquired 16-55 f2.8.

Tom Schum
Tom Schum Forum Pro • Posts: 10,277

I discovered how to do this with my Panasonic ZS100. The zoom lens on that camera has a lot of distortion at the wide end.

Some raw developers do not give me the option to turn off lens distortion correction. But I can do it on Raw Therapee. I can turn off distortion also for Fuji raws.

Interesting thing about this distortion is that (1) unless it is architecture, it is hard to notice except for sometimes some vignetting and (2) the correction process can blur some parts of the image.

So give it a try. You might like it.

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum
Copper: Mankind's favorite electrical conductor

Tom Schum's gear list:Tom Schum's gear list
Sigma dp0 Quattro Fujifilm X30 Panasonic ZS100 Sigma sd Quattro Fujifilm X-E1 +15 more
ateriksen
ateriksen Forum Member • Posts: 51

fujiian wrote:

TonyGN10 wrote:

chapada wrote:

I have to correct you on this one, if I'm not misunderstanding you. The slider represents percentages, so the 100% is the 100% of the full correction, and the slider is more often at 80% or higher depending on EXIF data of the image. See image and link below. There are no static number on the slider saying "debarrel and stretch 10% at 10 points" if you mean that. Capture One will read the lens profile from EXIF and apply the correction accordingly to that and focal length. There are some discrepancy between mm's on a superzoom, but I find it to be very accurate with either primes or zooms. But again, there's a reason for the slider too 😏

This highly depends on the lens optical construction and how much distortion it has, that's not a default function of Capture One on all lenses.

On mid-range zooms that cost some bucks more than a couple cappuccinos - there have probably been put less effort in to making gradual adjustments in the correction tab according to FLs, but I have seen on both my FE lenses (Sony) and my red badge Fuji lenses that the gradual correction is quite good. I wish Capture One explained this in details how they apply it, like if they only check wide and tele, or do in-between.

Aleksander

https://support.captureone.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002583378-Distortion-correction

ateriksen's gear list:ateriksen's gear list
Sony a7 III Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T3 Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR +5 more
ateriksen

VisuallyOriented wrote:

fujiian wrote:

TonyGN10 wrote:

chapada wrote:

I had never noticed C1 automatically cropping my images until recently when I noticed the crop on images taken with my recently acquired 16-55 f2.8.

Again, the lens corrections happens more often on a zoom lens and even more on a superzoom. This is because that lens construction is a compromise of everything. They try to get it most sharp, least distorted, most contrasty, most saturation etc at every single point, This means it is good at all but not perfect at any point.

This is in contrast to primes which is constructed for that X focal length and can be optimized for everything at that exact length, in other words, no compromises. Primes will almost always have higher image quality and less distortion than the relative same range zoom lenses.

Aleksander

Sony a7 III Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T3 Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR +5 more
Alessandro63 Contributing Member • Posts: 870

chapada wrote:

Under "lens correction" put profile on "manufacturer profile" instead of specific lens. 
It will correct and crop the image exactly as the camera does, with its fuji native profile.

boogisha
boogisha Senior Member • Posts: 2,039
Re: Capture One - "Distortion Correction"

Alessandro63 wrote:

Under "lens correction" put profile on "manufacturer profile" instead of specific lens.
It will correct and crop the image exactly as the camera does, with its fuji native profile.

This, allowing both distortion correction and keeping the image as camera produced it.

As noticed, for some lenses C1 provides its own distortion correction which may additionally crop the image (in comparison to what in-camera JPEG and "Manufacturer Profile" would produce).

Of course, one can still opt to turn off distortion correction completely (setting the slider to 0), which would reveal the whole captured image (possibly extending the field of view beyond in-camera JPEG, too), as already suggested in previous replies.

boogisha's gear list:boogisha's gear list
Canon ELPH 300 HS Canon PowerShot S120 Canon PowerShot G7 X Canon PowerShot A75 Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +12 more
fujiian
fujiian Regular Member • Posts: 403

ateriksen wrote:

fujiian wrote:

I have to correct you on this one, if I'm not misunderstanding you. The slider represents percentages, so the 100% is the 100% of the full correction, and the slider is more often at 80% or higher depending on EXIF data of the image. See image and link below. There are no static number on the slider saying "debarrel and stretch 10% at 10 points" if you mean that. Capture One will read the lens profile from EXIF and apply the correction accordingly to that and focal length. There are some discrepancy between mm's on a superzoom, but I find it to be very accurate with either primes or zooms. But again, there's a reason for the slider too 😏

Interesting nuance, and thank you for educating me on the difference!

I guess that also explains why the slider goes to 120%, which allows you to 'overcorrect', or 'lean further into' the default correction.

The main point, though, is still relevant as described in your response I bolded above, and in my original post below – it's weird to have correction either 'fully on' or 'fully off', and I only notice when I'm at a FL right around that boundary.

This highly depends on the lens optical construction and how much distortion it has, that's not a default function of Capture One on all lenses.

Did understand this part.

The 14, 16, and 35 primes feature fantastic optical correction, so that slider stays put.

I wish Capture One explained this in details how they apply it, like if they only check wide and tele, or do in-between.

Me too! It would take a ton of ugly tests to really know, so I'll pass and let the software do its best

fujiian's gear list:fujiian's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +4 more
ateriksen

fujiian wrote:

ateriksen wrote:

fujiian wrote:

Interesting nuance, and thank you for educating me on the difference!

That's how Capture One people have told me (David Grover etc..)

I guess that also explains why the slider goes to 120%, which allows you to 'overcorrect', or 'lean further into' the default correction.

Most likely.

The main point, though, is still relevant as described in your response I bolded above, and in my original post below – it's weird to have correction either 'fully on' or 'fully off', and I only notice when I'm at a FL right around that boundary.

I agree, it could be some variations between lens profiles, what kind of FL you were shooting at, etc. I was mainly adding in to what the sliders do 😊

Did understand this part.

The 14, 16, and 35 primes feature fantastic optical correction, so that slider stays put.

Yep.

I wish Capture One explained this in details how they apply it, like if they only check wide and tele, or do in-between.

Me too! It would take a ton of ugly tests to really know, so I'll pass and let the software do its best

Yes. In most pictures it's not that important for me, but when it comes to landscapes, buildings etc, then I find myself tweaking things anyway. The applied corrections get me in to the ballpark, and rest is coffee and willpower πŸ˜…

-- hide signature --

With best regards
Aleksander T. E.
β€œAlways carry a camera, it's tough to shoot a picture without one.”
-- Jay Maisel

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads