Cleaning a Nikon Z Series Sensor ...Urgent!

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
J Pritchard New Member • Posts: 10
Cleaning a Nikon Z Series Sensor ...Urgent!

You must be very careful cleaning a Nikon Z camera sensor as its attached to a 5 Axis Gimbal … and it's about powering down. To do this make sure the camera is switched off then take out the battery, then hold the shutter down for at least 10 seconds to bleed off any electrical current. this then parks the Sensor/Gimbal. and now you can clean the sensor and it won't move around and be damaged! The sensor is also easier to then clean on a Z camera. Hope this assist you from damaging your camera.

J Pritchard's gear list:J Pritchard's gear list
Olympus 12-100mm F4.0
AprilSum Regular Member • Posts: 117
Re: Cleaning a Nikon Z Series Sensor ...Urgent!

Good to know. Thanks!

danmitch
danmitch Contributing Member • Posts: 670

Really appreciated - but in the light of Nikon specifically advising against any wet sensor cleaning under any circumstances, would be grateful for any source or technical background for this. Really grateful and it does make sense in any case!

-- hide signature --

Best - Daniel
A few photos and thoughts at https://www.danmitch.photography
Latest photos on https://www.instagram.com/dangramit/

danmitch's gear list:danmitch's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Nikon Z6 Leica Summarit-M 50mm F2.4 ASPH Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z 35mm F1.8 +7 more
Ceistinne Senior Member • Posts: 2,433

J Pritchard wrote:

You must be very careful cleaning a Nikon Z camera sensor as its attached to a 5 Axis Gimbal … and it's about powering down. To do this make sure the camera is switched off then take out the battery, then hold the shutter down for at least 10 seconds to bleed off any electrical current. this then parks the Sensor/Gimbal. and now you can clean the sensor and it won't move around and be damaged! The sensor is also easier to then clean on a Z camera. Hope this assist you from damaging your camera.

J Pritchard,

Is there a Manual cleaning setting in the menu. If so use that to keep the sensor IBIS solid while cleaning.  Use a bulb blower to blow off any loose dust wet clean using Photographic Solutions Eclipse and Type 3 swabs.

S

Ceistinne's gear list:Ceistinne's gear list
Sigma SD1 Merrill Sigma dp2 Quattro Sigma SD9 Sigma SD10 Sigma SD14 +5 more
Digital Shutterbug Veteran Member • Posts: 5,080

Ceistinne wrote:

Is there a Manual cleaning setting in the menu.

No, there is not.

-- hide signature --

Steve

thomas2279f
thomas2279f Veteran Member • Posts: 3,508

Thanks for the tip.

-- hide signature --

David Thomas

thomas2279f's gear list:thomas2279f's gear list
Nikon D800 Sony a5000 Sony a6400 Nikon Z50 Nikon Z6 II +23 more
Geomaticsman Senior Member • Posts: 2,922

danmitch wrote:

Really appreciated - but in the light of Nikon specifically advising against any wet sensor cleaning under any circumstances, would be grateful for any source or technical background for this. Really grateful and it does make sense in any case!

Personally I use a gel stick -- much quicker and easier than swabs. FWIW...

-- hide signature --

Garfield

Geomaticsman's gear list:Geomaticsman's gear list
Nikon D850 Sony a7S III Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III Sony 2.0x Teleconverter Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E III +4 more
NAG3LT
NAG3LT Forum Member • Posts: 94

Doesn't the camera park and lock sensor anyway when IBIS is turned off or Camera is turned off normally?
Do you have any examples of difference in sensor degrees of freedom between a normal power down and the extreme steps of removing the battery and draining capacitors you've taken?

NAG3LT's gear list:NAG3LT's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D7200 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z6 II
fz750
fz750 Regular Member • Posts: 310

danmitch wrote:

Really appreciated - but in the light of Nikon specifically advising against any wet sensor cleaning under any circumstances

Why do they advise against it?

fz750's gear list:fz750's gear list
Nikon D7200 Fujifilm X-T30 Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Tokina 11-20mm F2.8 +2 more
Boudewijn van der Drift
Boudewijn van der Drift Regular Member • Posts: 371

NAG3LT wrote:

Doesn't the camera park and lock sensor anyway when IBIS is turned off or Camera is turned off normally?
Do you have any examples of difference in sensor degrees of freedom between a normal power down and the extreme steps of removing the battery and draining capacitors you've taken?

Someone in this forum said he felt his sensor move under wet cleaning. No heartbreak stories later,

I suppose that was with switch off, but no charge draining.

Luckily I had no specs in 5 Z(6+7) years. Will try to remember this untill the time comes.

Thanks OP.

Boudewijn van der Drift's gear list:Boudewijn van der Drift's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z 70-200 F2.8 VR +2 more
jch2103B Contributing Member • Posts: 666

Likewise.

Use the menu item Clean Image Sensor (manual and auto) first, then use a bulb blower if needed and only then additional sensor cleaning.

In response to the question of why Nikon wants you to send a camera in for sensor cleaning, they so advise for all their cameras including DSLRs. (I think that's true for other manufacturers also.) I assume they're trying to avoid any potential issues. But people have been successfully cleaning their sensors for years. You need to be careful and prudent if you do so, of course.

jch2103B's gear list:jch2103B's gear list
Nikon 1 V3 Nikon Z6 Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 6.7-13mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 +4 more
j_photo Veteran Member • Posts: 5,032

Boudewijn van der Drift wrote:

NAG3LT wrote:

Someone in this forum said he felt his sensor move under wet cleaning. No heartbreak stories later,

Luckily I had no specs in 5 Z(6+7) years. Will try to remember this untill the time comes.

Thanks OP.

I had to do a wet cleaning not too long ago. The sensor definitely did not move for me. Camera off of course.

j_photo's gear list:j_photo's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6
Jestertheclown
Jestertheclown Senior Member • Posts: 2,954

jch2103B wrote:

Likewise.

Use the menu item Clean Image Sensor (manual and auto) first, then use a bulb blower if needed and only then additional sensor cleaning.

In response to the question of why Nikon wants you to send a camera in for sensor cleaning, they so advise for all their cameras including DSLRs. (I think that's true for other manufacturers also.) I assume they're trying to avoid any potential issues.

No, they want your money.

But people have been successfully cleaning their sensors for years. You need to be careful and prudent if you do so, of course.

"It's good to be . . . . . . . . . Me!"

Boudewijn van der Drift
Boudewijn van der Drift Regular Member • Posts: 371

j_photo wrote:

Boudewijn van der Drift wrote:

NAG3LT wrote:

Thanks OP.

I had to do a wet cleaning not too long ago. The sensor definitely did not move for me. Camera off of course.

OK, thanks, that is reassuring. If the sensor was freely floating around inside with the camera hanging on your shoulder and/or hitting something, there could be at least wear, and perhaps damage on the IBIS stuff  I do not switch off when I expect some more shots soon. So I expect that brake/parking even occurs when the camera goes into sleep mode,

Boudewijn van der Drift's gear list:Boudewijn van der Drift's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z 70-200 F2.8 VR +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads