Now you can view and edit 14 bit RAW photos in real time...on your phone

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Dexter75 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,909
Now you can view and edit 14 bit RAW photos in real time...on your phone

Another area where computational photography on smartphones is eating the lunch of camera manufacturers everywhere. Some info on the new Halide Mark II photo app. This would be amazing to have this kind of tech in our cameras...

"The Mark II app is designed to work with Apple's ProRAW feature, and Halide is adding its own tools to make shooting RAW photos easier on all iPhones. Mark II is able to capture classic RAWs and computational photos using a new "Coverage" feature. With Coverage, Halide users can take photos that use all of the advanced photographic capabilities in the iPhone (Smart HDR 3 and Deep Fusion) while also making a RAW version available for those who want to do their own edits.

There's also an Instant Raw feature that uses machine learning to go through a 17-step process of developing a RAW file to get the best possible auto-edited result that enhances detail and color, ultimately providing something between a JPG and standard RAW file. According to the app's developers, Mark II is the first camera app that's able to visualize the full 14-bit RAW data in realtime, a feature it calls XDR Analysis. XDR Analysis offers a more accurate look at exposure and is enabled when the ISO or shutter speed are adjusted.

Along with these new RAW tools, Mark II offers new focus and exposure tools, including a visualization called Waveform. Waveform horizontally scans over an image and provides info on which channel colors are clipped."

24IS
24IS Senior Member • Posts: 1,464
Re: Now you can view and edit 14 bit RAW photos in real time...on your phone

That's all good and well, Dexter. But, do you really want to edit a RAW file on your smartphone? That's a pretty small screen to base editing choices on. Surely having access to a large screen will make it possible to more readily evaluate what you are doing, and you are less likely to miss something that may become apparent once you view the edit on a larger screen.

sybersitizen Forum Pro • Posts: 18,559

I'm sure somebody can, but I can't on my phone. I don't think I'd want to if I could.

OP Dexter75 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,909

24IS wrote:

That's all good and well, Dexter. But, do you really want to edit a RAW file on your smartphone? That's a pretty small screen to base editing choices on. Surely having access to a large screen will make it possible to more readily evaluate what you are doing, and you are less likely to miss something that may become apparent once you view the edit on a larger screen.

You are completely missing the point here. You are free to edit it on your computer too. But the fact that you can now shoot and edit 14 bit RAW files on a phone is quite remarkable. For the MANY photographers who shoot on their smartphones and upload to social media, this is huge as you can now do everything right from your phone. No need to wait till you get home, transfer everything to your computer, open an editor, convert your photos etc..

Lots of photographers are quite used to editing on their smartphone already. Many of us use apps where we can change our focus points, change our depth of field using depth mapping, change the look of our bokeh, use filters that blow away any LR preset etc...So this just shortens and cleans up the workflow for many.

Tuloom
Tuloom Veteran Member • Posts: 3,993

Dexter75 wrote:

Lots of photographers are quite used to editing on their smartphone already. Many of us use apps where we can change our focus points, change our depth of field using depth mapping, change the look of our bokeh, use filters that blow away any LR preset etc...So this just shortens and cleans up the workflow for many.

I use snapseed to take a picture of a cat. Then I take a selfie. Then I put my face on the cat's with the double exposure tool. Then I use snapchat to put dog ears on that.

So much fun.

OP Dexter75 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,909

Tuloom wrote:

Dexter75 wrote:

I use snapseed to take a picture of a cat. Then I take a selfie. Then I put my face on the cat's with the double exposure tool. Then I use snapchat to put dog ears on that.

So much fun.

The funny thing is the same guys who poo-poo photo apps are the same guys who spend lots of time in LR digitally manipulating and enhancing their photos. Wanna know a secret? Its the same thing....

EOS GUY
EOS GUY Senior Member • Posts: 3,497

Tuloom wrote:

Dexter75 wrote:

So much fun.

Is that manipulation or reality though ;D

-- hide signature --

My Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/photonicstreetdreams/
The earth laughs in flowers.
-Ralph Waldo Emmerson
Above all else, peacefulness, love and harmony.
- Noel Shoestring

EOS GUY's gear list:EOS GUY's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Fujifilm X-T2 Canon EF-S 24mm F2.8 STM Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR +5 more
robgendreau Veteran Member • Posts: 7,787

24IS wrote:

Yes, I do, because it's extremely fast, has engines optimized for that purpose, and because much of the images I produce are viewed on iPhones, etc, so I need to proof on them anyway. And yeah, it's a small screen, but it's got DCI P3 gamut, and is super high resolution. And maybe HDR and OLED on some phones. So a very high quality display; I correct mine with Xrite but it's almost always excellent even before calibration.

And an iPad Pro is 2732 x 2048, but at a very very high DPI. So it shows a lot of info in a space that can be viewed closer than a laptop without pixellation.

And with Halide you're processing on the same instrument you took the photo with. It's fast enough even before this upgrade that you can often take another shot with different settings if the first didn't cut it.

Jonsi
Jonsi Veteran Member • Posts: 6,091

Tuloom wrote:

Dexter75 wrote:

So much fun.

That actually sounds like way more fun than spending every minute posting phone threads in non-phone forums, trying to convince others (or themselves) of something (who knows what).

Like OP.

Dog ears on a cat.... man I have to see that, hahaha

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads