Please, which is the best.

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Valeriu 64
Valeriu 64 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,343
Please, which is the best.

Dear friends please, which is the best, only one, for a photo contest, entitled insects.

Thank you, very much

Best regrads, Valeriu

Valeriu 64's gear list:Valeriu 64's gear list
Pentax K-3 II Pentax K-1 II Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR +6 more
JeremieB Regular Member • Posts: 304
Re: Please, which is the best.

That's so difficult

I would really hesitate between the #2 and the last (the moth).

The #1 is impressive but there's something a bit weird in the background, between the purple and green zones.

The last is maybe not completely original but it's very difficult and you succeeded very well, what is rare is to see so much details about the moth, it's eyes and "body hair" and tail, it's really a great photo. It's near perfect according to me.

But I like in #2 that we can see more of the environnement (water), the insect is part of it, but it's not buzy either. Maybe the only way to make the photo better would be if wings were perfectly in focus, and maybe clearer reflection of the dragonfly on the water. Still the wondeful colors and details have me go back to this photo. Also, it's not a photo that looks similar to any photo I have seen already (for dragonfly most of the time you see them on a stem, or in flight).

So I would say the moth for technique and #2 for artistic

Good luck !

JeremieB's gear list:JeremieB's gear list
Pentax K100D Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +5 more
JeremieB Regular Member • Posts: 304

JeremieB wrote:

That's so difficult

The #1 is impressive but there's something a bit weird in the background, between the purple and green zones.

The last is maybe not completely original but it's very difficult and you succeeded very well, what is rare is to see so much details about the moth, it's eyes and "body hair" and tail, it's really a great photo. It's near perfect according to me.

But I like in #2 that we can see more of the environnement (water), the insect is part of it, but it's not buzy either. Maybe the only way to make the photo better would be if wings were perfectly in focus, and maybe clearer reflection of the dragonfly on the water. Still the wondeful colors and details have me go back to this photo. Also, it's not a photo that looks similar to any photo I have seen already (for dragonfly most of the time you see them on a stem, or in flight).

Good luck !

... but you'd better follow advice from people who already participated to this kind of contest, which is not my case !

JeremieB's gear list:JeremieB's gear list
Pentax K100D Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +5 more
Valeriu 64
OP Valeriu 64 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,343

JeremieB wrote:

That's so difficult

Good luck !

Jeremie, however, there must be only one left. 

Thank you!

Best regards, Valeriu

Pentax K-3 II Pentax K-1 II Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR +6 more
Rod Herdman Veteran Member • Posts: 3,273

Well, they're all pretty good to be honest. #4 I like.

But you may as well choose one at random as you can't second guess the judges . . .

Good luck !

-- hide signature --

All I want is a digital back for my trusty K1000 . . .

Rod Herdman's gear list:Rod Herdman's gear list
Pentax *ist D Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL Pentax smc DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED +12 more
Valeriu 64
OP Valeriu 64 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,343

Rod Herdman wrote:

Well, they're all pretty good to be honest. #4 I like.

But you may as well choose one at random as you can't second guess the judges . . .

Good luck !

Thank you, Rod!

A painter friend, he was the only one who chose the same photo as you.

He says he likes the black background and the light falling on the dragonfly.

Best regards, Valeriu

Wahid Khan 1961 Forum Member • Posts: 68

All are excellent, but if I had to pick one it would be the last one. Is it a 'Hummingbird Moth'?

Fantastic work.

Wahid Khan 1961's gear list:Wahid Khan 1961's gear list
Samsung EX2F Samsung NX10 Pentax K-5 Samsung NX1000 Samsung NX20 +27 more
AlainCo Regular Member • Posts: 210

Valérie,

Difficult choice among 5 great pictures. My preference would go to #4, because of the dark background, and because it is (or so I guess) the most challenging one, technically speaking.

Cheers (and good luck)

AlainCo

-- hide signature --

Beauty is in the eye of the photographer

AlainCo's gear list:AlainCo's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X30 Fujifilm X100F Pentax K10D Pentax K-5 +14 more
MrB1 Regular Member • Posts: 347

Scientists have gained a highly detailed understanding of the structure of matter, but no-one will ever understand the mind of the official judge(s). Their choices might or might not agree with the majority view, making any photography competition not much more than a lottery.

My selection would be the last image which is a good composition of insect action. However, if it were mine, I would try some selective subtle sharpening and/or clarity of both the insect and the flower, and also apply context-aware fill to clone out the bright patch in the top-right corner.

Philip

JCMarafona New Member • Posts: 9

All excellent! But my preference goes to #2 cause it’s a very uncommon catch of this beautiful insect and the vertical frame choice makes it more appealing.

flektogon
flektogon Veteran Member • Posts: 4,639

My choice is #2, though all are excellent.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Peter

DeathArrow Senior Member • Posts: 3,387

I like last three and I don't consider first two bad but I would pick last one.

DeathArrow's gear list:DeathArrow's gear list
Sony RX100 VA Nikon D300 Nikon D610 Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +6 more
henryk1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,060

I'd pick the last one, because it shows the moth actually doing something—i.e., taking a sip from the flower. If I were a judge I'd look for action in a photo.

-- hide signature --

H1a, H3v, Spotmatic, MX, ME Super (2), KX, *ist DS, K10D, K20D, K-5, K-01, K-3. Am I a Pentaxian yet?

(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 2,206
2nd (nt)

No text.

MightyMike Forum Pro • Posts: 40,695

#2, 4 or 5

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/user/SpeEedy/profile/photos?sortBy=photoFavoriteCount

TBLF Senior Member • Posts: 1,062

I would go with #1, with the provision that you re-do it from scratch. It has the most technical potential, but when you were playing with the sliders, you introduced a color separation at the top of the photo where the purples meet the other colors. Mask that area off and choose to feather the selection edges for like 20 pixels before you play with the sliders next time and it shouldn't give that effect. You'll have to experiment.

Everyone has a soft spot for the last photo, just because Hummers are so cool and it has great action and is a great moment in time, but without the eyes being sharp, it's not the winner for me. You could "save" the photo with selective eye sharpening using a brush tool, but you would have to be really careful not to introduce artifacts. Bottom line is, a naturally good photo will always have more potential that one that is forced... hence why I chose the bee in number one.

Wishing you the best, but most important, have fun!

-- hide signature --

EricV

TBLF's gear list:TBLF's gear list
Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR Pentax FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 +7 more
johnami
johnami Senior Member • Posts: 1,211

Image 2...

Just looks more lifelike to my eyes...Great shot.

johnami's gear list:johnami's gear list
Sigma DP2 Ricoh GR II Pentax K10D Pentax K-5 Pentax K-1 +17 more
LightBug Senior Member • Posts: 2,587

I like the last one with the moth drinking nectar, that is a very cool moment captured.

LightBug's gear list:LightBug's gear list
Sony a7R Pentax 645Z Pentax Q-S1 Pentax KP Ricoh Theta V +21 more
ozdean
ozdean Forum Pro • Posts: 26,307

Last

-- hide signature --

Regards Dean - Capturing Creation
N.B. All my Images are Protected by Copyright

ozdean's gear list:ozdean's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-50 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +13 more
KentG Veteran Member • Posts: 4,699

Well all have good points. I like the hummingbird moth one except for the fact you should have slowed the shutter down to blur the wings like the propeller on piston driven warbirds at an airshow. When you stop all the movement it eliminates the life part of it. Dragonfly emerging from pond is very nice.

Kent Gittings

KentG's gear list:KentG's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-S1 Pentax K-1 Pentax smc D-FA 50mm F2.8 Macro Pentax FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads