How to make A7III raws look like Jpeg previews

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Allenglishboy New Member • Posts: 6
How to make A7III raws look like Jpeg previews

I have my camera set to  Picture Profile off and shooting Jpegs and RAWS

On my previous camera the raws pretty much looked the same as the jpegs once i  applied the color profiles for my camera in Lightroom. However with my A7iii the raws look nothing like  my JPegs. Is there any way to get the raws to look more like the Jpeg previews?( i obviously know I could fiddle around with  in Lightroom until i  have  a similar look, but i wondered if there was a better way to do this)

Austinian
Austinian Forum Pro • Posts: 10,612
Re: How to make A7III raws look like Jpeg previews

Allenglishboy wrote:

I have my camera set to Picture Profile off and shooting Jpegs and RAWS

On my previous camera the raws pretty much looked the same as the jpegs once i applied the color profiles for my camera in Lightroom. However with my A7iii the raws look nothing like my JPegs. Is there any way to get the raws to look more like the Jpeg previews?( i obviously know I could fiddle around with in Lightroom until i have a similar look, but i wondered if there was a better way to do this)

I'm guessing that the easiest way might be to use Sony's own Imaging Edge software; I don't know, since I'm not trying to duplicate JPEG looks, but I'd try that since IE might be more likely to obey the detailed camera settings than LR.

https://imagingedge.sony.net/en-us/ie-desktop.html

Austinian's gear list:Austinian's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Sony FE 50mm F2.8 Macro Sony FE 24-105mm F4 +2 more
mcslsk Veteran Member • Posts: 5,894

Austinian wrote:

Allenglishboy wrote:

On my previous camera the raws pretty much looked the same as the jpegs once i applied the color profiles for my camera in Lightroom. However with my A7iii the raws look nothing like my JPegs. Is there any way to get the raws to look more like the Jpeg previews?( i obviously know I could fiddle around with in Lightroom until i have a similar look, but i wondered if there was a better way to do this)

I'm guessing that the easiest way might be to use Sony's own Imaging Edge software; I don't know, since I'm not trying to duplicate JPEG looks, but I'd try that since IE might be more likely to obey the detailed camera settings than LR.

Unfortunately, and unlike Canon's DPP, Imaging Edge does not provide identical JPEG output that exactly matches OOC JPEGs. The closest to that in my experience is DoX PhotoLab, the latest version of which also sports some intersting new noise reduction and uses the GPU more to enhance performance. The LR Camera Standard profile is quite workable, but you can of course always create your own profile or get ready made ones online.

mcslsk's gear list:mcslsk's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6500 Sony a7R III +54 more
Jb502 Contributing Member • Posts: 585

Allenglishboy wrote:

There is a better way if you want to emulate the cameras jpegs.  Just shoot the jpegs and not the raws.  Done.

Jb502's gear list:Jb502's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a7S III GoPro Hero8 Black GoPro Hero9 Black Rokinon 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC +8 more
Austinian
Austinian Forum Pro • Posts: 10,612

mcslsk wrote:

Austinian wrote:

Allenglishboy wrote:

Unfortunately, and unlike Canon's DPP, Imaging Edge does not provide identical JPEG output that exactly matches OOC JPEGs. The closest to that in my experience is DoX PhotoLab, the latest version of which also sports some intersting new noise reduction and uses the GPU more to enhance performance.

I upgraded to PhotoLab 4 yesterday, and that new DeepPrime NR considerably improved an old low-light cavern photo I tested it on; haven't investigated all the other new features yet.

Perhaps the OP should download the free PL4 trial and see if they like the results. Thanks for the info.

Austinian's gear list:Austinian's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Sony FE 50mm F2.8 Macro Sony FE 24-105mm F4 +2 more
SQLGuy Veteran Member • Posts: 9,851

Have you tried using other camera profiles, like the body ones, instead of the Adobe Standard?

You might also try Piraccini's profiles. https://www.piraccini.net/

You might also try Capture One for Sony.

-- hide signature --

A7R2 with SEL2470Z and a number of adapted lenses (Canon FD, Minolta AF, Canon EF, Leica, Nikon...); A7R converted to IR.

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS 5D Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro +24 more
Karl Scharf
Karl Scharf Veteran Member • Posts: 4,311

Jb502 wrote:

Allenglishboy wrote:

There is a better way if you want to emulate the cameras jpegs. Just shoot the jpegs and not the raws. Done.

That makes a lot of sense, and saves a lot of time spent on processing! The a7iii produces some very good in-camera jpegs.

-- hide signature --

...."Sony, your crap is so good"....love this quote!

Karl Scharf's gear list:Karl Scharf's gear list
Sony a7 III Samyang 12mm F2.8 Fisheye Tamron 17-28mm F2.8 Di III RXD Tamron 28-200mm F2.8-5.6 Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS +19 more
mcslsk Veteran Member • Posts: 5,894

SQLGuy wrote:

Have you tried using other camera profiles, like the body ones, instead of the Adobe Standard?

You might also try Piraccini's profiles. https://www.piraccini.net/

You might also try Capture One for Sony.

C1 is a good program - but does not produce output that looks like OOC JPEGs.

mcslsk's gear list:mcslsk's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6500 Sony a7R III +54 more
danny006 Senior Member • Posts: 1,247

Shoot jpeg and set noise reduction to off. I've been shooting for 10 years like this and my pictures look just fine.

danny006's gear list:danny006's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Sony a6400 Canon EF 28-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads