Among first attempt @ Bird Photography

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Nearly in Focus Junior Member • Posts: 25
Among first attempt @ Bird Photography

My first serious attempt at bird photography...long way to go, lot to learn. Appreciate C&C

Taken with R6 and 100-500RF I had tried few days back.

Nearly in Focus's gear list:Nearly in Focus's gear list
Olympus E-M1 III Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro Olympus 12-45mm F4 Pro
Ricoh Caplio R6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Mikel10
Mikel10 Senior Member • Posts: 2,397
Re: Among first attempt @ Bird Photography

Nice captures. Keep it up. Thanks for sharing.

CrkrJim Regular Member • Posts: 302

Especially like the BW seagulls.

-- hide signature --

Cracker Jim
Central Florida

Gautam Majumdar Forum Pro • Posts: 16,337

Great shots

-- hide signature --

Gautam

rmw18k
rmw18k Regular Member • Posts: 365

Really great work for your first attempt. The only C+C would really be to reduce the noise in the standing heron photo.

rmw18k's gear list:rmw18k's gear list
Nikon D5000 Nikon D600 Nikon D810 Nikon D5 Nikon D850 +28 more
gavin
gavin Veteran Member • Posts: 7,799

Nice shots. 2nd one could frame more space on the right for the bird to fly into.

-- hide signature --
 gavin's gear list:gavin's gear list
Sony RX100 III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM +5 more
NikonNature Veteran Member • Posts: 4,250

These are nice. Much better than my early attempts. I will offer some C&C, because you asked. But I think you are off to a good start and much of the improvement will only come with time and experience.

1) The Reddish Egret is a favorite subject and you captured him well. The wind blown hair is great too. Bird photography happens fast and you may be so focused on getting the shot that you forget to tweak settings. Since he is stationary, you could have dropped the shutter speed and thereby had a lower ISO. Also, in post, you could drop the brightness of the background and/or add a subtle vignette to make him stand out better.

2) Nice active shot, especially with the water dripping off his legs. I think this could benefit from an even wider 16:9 format. That would keep the water drops on the left, while giving him room to fly into on the right. And again darkening the background about a half-stop might look nice.

3) As a birder I had to zoom in to check the bird species, but really this is just a very nice creative abstract. It captures the motion of all the gulls and terns, which anyone who's been to the beach can relate to. So no C&C here other than 'I like it'.

NikonNature's gear list:NikonNature's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads